Author Topic: Strictly speaking, do aggregate bodies "exist"?  (Read 7601 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Strictly speaking, do aggregate bodies "exist"?
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 02:12:32 AM »
I think #2 is not correct.
Quarks are fundamental and different quarks have different mass.
I don't know how small a quark is (I looked it up on wiki, but it was way too difficult to understand). But supposing a quark has a mass of Q, I can concieve of a particle with a mass of Q/2 - half a quark, basically.
Again you can conceive it, but at that fundamental subatomic level, when we say "mass" we don't really mean anything different to "energy". It is of course possible that, say, a quark with mass/energy Q is made up of 2 even smaller entities with mass/energy Q/2. As at now, though, it's not possible to see if that would be the case, because we have not been able to observe them having any dimensions that could be divided up.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 02:18:15 AM »
Also isolated quarks have never been observed so I wouldn't say that they are 'balls' of matter like atoms, protons and electrons are.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 11:01:30 AM »
The issue really comes down to, "what is energy?"

Which I have yet to find a real answer to.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »
I think #2 is not correct.
Quarks are fundamental and different quarks have different mass.
I don't know how small a quark is (I looked it up on wiki, but it was way too difficult to understand). But supposing a quark has a mass of Q, I can concieve of a particle with a mass of Q/2 - half a quark, basically.
Again you can conceive it, but at that fundamental subatomic level, when we say "mass" we don't really mean anything different to "energy". It is of course possible that, say, a quark with mass/energy Q is made up of 2 even smaller entities with mass/energy Q/2. As at now, though, it's not possible to see if that would be the case, because we have not been able to observe them having any dimensions that could be divided up.
If you replace the word "mass" with the word "energy," the argument still works.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
It's a meaningless argument. Just because you can imagine something doesn't mean it has any basis in reality.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
Just realized, we have some reason to think this may not be the case. It's the "quantum" of "quantum mechanics." Orbiting electrons, for instance, have set energy levels, and they can't be at an energy level not allowed.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
Just realized, we have some reason to think this may not be the case. It's the "quantum" of "quantum mechanics." Orbiting electrons, for instance, have set energy levels, and they can't be at an energy level not allowed.

Yeah, that's true. Energy is released by electrons when they fall to a lower energy level.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges