14 (12.1%)
Weekly basis
48 (41.4%)
Monthly basis
20 (17.2%)
Less then a monthly basis (specify)
34 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author Topic: How often do you drink alcohol?  (Read 12411 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: How often do you drink alcohol?
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Most importantly, if you're going to smoke grass during this occasion, only do it before you start drinking.  Don't smoke after you commence hard drinking.  As plenty here will attest, few things suck worse than the spins.

for god's sake pay attention to this part

Thirded.

fourth.

fifth.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2012, 08:41:03 PM »
Sixthed.

Smoking beforehand helps you pace yourself a little better sometimes since you aren't chasing intoxication because you'll start feeling the green in less time than it takes to get to the bar unless y'all are hitting a small piece in the car in the parking lot outside and then just walking into the bar which I'd strongly advise against if you're in an unfamiliar area.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2012, 09:08:09 PM »
Once or twice a week, usually not all that heavily.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
I'm gonna go have a beer.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
I usually drink 4-5 nights a week, averaging 2-3 beers unless there's some kind of special event I'm at. Craft beer is my main hobby (I review commercial beers and brew my own) and some day I hope to make it a career.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
Rarely, being underage an all. I'll drink wine if I'm at a religious dinner and a sip or two of shit other people are drinking if I'm interested. Other that that, I've gotten really drunk once and a bit tipsy one other time. All of it with parental approval. :hat

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:26 PM »
If I had to guess an average, maybe 2-3 times a week I'll go to the bar with a friend and have a beer. Drinking a lot, as in getting drunk...Maybe once every month or two. Having to work at 6am sorta forces you to cut back on your drinking/night life.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:52 AM »
I don't partake. Alcoholism has all but claimed my father's life, so out of respect to my mother and sister, I just abstain. I don't think it's wrong to drink alcohol at all though-just wrong for me.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2012, 07:38:05 AM »
I don't partake. Alcoholism has all but claimed my father's life, so out of respect to my mother and sister, I just abstain. I don't think it's wrong to drink alcohol at all though-just wrong for me.

respectful and smart move, children of alcoholic parents are  25% more likely to become alcoholics themselves I pray every day that my kids learned from my experiences and try to abstain themselves
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2012, 07:57:13 AM »

respectful and smart move, children of alcoholic parents are  25% more likely to become alcoholics themselves I pray every day that my kids learned from my experiences and try to abstain themselves

Same here, my kid's got it coming from both sides, I think she's seen enough to stay away, managed to through high school at least.  Next up is college....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »
Been cutting back my consumption quite a bit as of late for my weight-loss regimen.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
Been cutting back my consumption quite a bit as of late for my weight-loss regimen.

rumborak
That's one reason I started exploring straight liquor instead of beer or wine.  I figure a drink you sip and consume 2oz must not be as bad for weight.  Don't really know if it's true, but hey.  I never realized until a year or two ago how much liquor could offer as a drink all it's own.  When you think about serving size, a $30 bottle of liquor is roughly a $6-$10 bottle of wine depending on your serving sizes.  The upfront price is intimidating, but exploring better liquor isn't expensive if you can afford cheap wine.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:24 AM »
I couldn't afford to drink the wines I liked.  Being so close to Napa, and in the restaurant business, I got used to $100 bottles as a regular thing to taste.  If I went to a cheap bottle, under $20, usually they dissapointed me so much.  On my 40 birthday, my buddy and I split a $750  bottle of an '89 Caymus Cabernet, fucking liquid gold(then I preceded to follow that bottle with a twelve pack and a fifth of Jager, but who's counting).

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2012, 08:47:52 AM »
Yeah, that is a big problem with alcohol(and many other things), as you can explore better stuff it gets harder and harder to go back to cheaper quality.  ...but that whole process of exploring into better and better is an awful lot of fun.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
Sixthed.

Smoking beforehand helps you pace yourself a little better sometimes since you aren't chasing intoxication because you'll start feeling the green in less time than it takes to get to the bar unless y'all are hitting a small piece in the car in the parking lot outside and then just walking into the bar which I'd strongly advise against if you're in an unfamiliar area.

Seventhed.  But I will say this about the whole spins thing- There's a line (for me anyway).  I can't say exactly where it is, it's just something I get a feel for during the evening, but there is a point where if I drink just enough and then blaze it takes me to that magical place where I'm fucking unstoppable at Mario Kart 64.  But just one tiny step over that line, then yeah- spins :shudders:

A good cure for the spins though that always worked for me:  throw Wish You Were Here on in a pitch black room and then lay down and close your eyes.  I'd always be passed out before the vocals on Shine On came in.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2012, 09:54:05 AM »
A good cure for the spins though that always worked for me:  throw Wish You Were Here on in a pitch black room and then lay down and close your eyes.  I'd always be passed out before the vocals on Shine On came in.

That's pretty cool.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »
I marked weekly but I guess that's a good average. I usually only drink to get drunk or a good buzz. I don't enjoy wine very much and i like beer but to just have a couple seems like a waste. I usually get drunk like once or twice a month. Back in college it was twice a week at least. My gf drinks wine daily. I tried to get into wine a few times and just can't seem to enjoy it. I usually drink vodka nowadays.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »

I drink almost daily, but very rarely even get so much as a buzz.

I've never used anything stronger than Listerine.

Since Listerine is like 26% alcohol (52 proof), that still leaves open beer, wine, liqueurs, and most cocktails.   :P

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »
Now that I've graduated college I will probably quit drinking. My family doesn't do it. My girlfriend doesn't do it. My friends do it way too much.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »
Never  I'm a recovering alcoholic 3 years sober on Saturday  :metal
:metal :metal :metal

Same here, one year coming up shortly. :metal

Congrats to both of you.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »
Thanks kirk!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »
I haven't ever had more than a sip of any alcohol. I'm not of age until September, but I've never really had a great desire to drink.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
Both my parents are/were alcoholics. My dad died at age 57 from chirosis of the liver. My mom is now 77 and currently isn't drinking. She has lapses at times.
The best thing you can do is not drink if you can help it. I enjoy my beer and am very aware of the dangers for me as a drinker. I have had periods in my life where I drank rather heavy. Not wanting to lose the privledge all together I have learned to pick my spots so when I go to that concert and want a few beers I can still have them.
Not all people can excerise the will to moderate. I try really hard to not let alcohol play a big role in my daily life.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »
Good advice, Tick

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »
Almost every day.  I have become somewhat of an amateur drink-meister, and I usually keep around 15 bottles of different liquors  in the house at all times so I can make myself a variety of drinks at a moment's notice.  It's become something of a hobby for me, but I usually only have a couple drinks a day, so unless I'm drinking something really strong, like Absinthe, I almost never get a buzz, let alone drunk.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
I drink about twice a year. I grew up in a household where my parents pretty much stopped drinking regularly once us kids were born, so besides my dad having a few at family gatherings, I wasn't exposed to it much. Back in college I drank heavily about once every 3 months, but generally i didn't party or anything. These days I go on a bender maybe twice a year, but I don't drink on a regular basis. So basically, maybe 2-3 times per year, and usually a lot at once during those times. XD
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2012, 03:37:27 PM »

rumborak
That's one reason I started exploring straight liquor instead of beer or wine.  I figure a drink you sip and consume 2oz must not be as bad for weight.  Don't really know if it's true, but hey. 
Doesn't help.  The calories and carbs are in the alcohol, and as they've been telling you for years, the alcohol content between a glass of wine, shot of whiskey and bottle of beer is about the same.  Fucking shame, actually.

I keep a pretty nicely stocked bar at home, but honestly I never really get into it.  My job affords me the opportunity to do side jobs for people, and for quite a while I always asked for firewater for payment.  One seventy-fives of top shelf liquor piled up a lot faster than I could drink them for a while, and I'm still sitting on some of it.  I've always got a bottle of George Dickel which I'm working on, and usually save the really good stuff until an occasion warrants it. 

As for my drinking habits, I'm old enough that drinking to get shitfaced doesn't appeal to me anymore.  I'll drink to attain a nice buzz, but that's about it.  If I'm really looking to go professional, like for a concert or something, then there's normally several other things acting on my system and alcohol is just a part of the combination.  I have a great fondness for hitting the door of a concert when I'm only about 33% functional, and trying to hit that level with alcohol alone is a recipe for disaster.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »
I voted less than weekly.  The last drink I had was on St. Patrick's Day, but it was one drink and during the champagne toast at a friend's wedding.  Last time before that was probably in 2006.  I just don't find the need to drink because I think I got that out of my system in my late teens/early 20s and

I'd strongly prefer to smoke weed only and not drink *clip*

I completely agree with this statement.  It should also be noted, though, that I'm currently on a scrip med that is used for Type 2 diabetes (that's not what I'm taking it for, though) which will severely spike my blood sugar if I decide to go on a bender, which hasn't happened since I got rage drunk on wine the last time I drank.  Plus, I'd much rather get completely baked.  Not that I'm being all judgmental of why peeps drink more than I do - that's their choice.

OT:
However. My friends have informed me that on my 21st birthday (this December) they're taking me to Austin, Texas to get me shitfaced. Apparently there's a bar street in Austin where if you can prove it's your 21st birthday, you get free shots at each bar. So I guess I'm looking forward to that. :lol

That would be 6th Street.  Doesn't surprise me, either.  6th is something that I think everyone should experience at least once, because all of the city's inherent weirdness (which is the good kind, not the bad kind) is amplified on a Friday or Saturday night, and multiplies exponentially on NYE, Halloween and close to Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras time.  I think you'll enjoy yourself, and Austin is just a hip place anyway (I'm biased though).

*edited twice because I'm *

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
Less than monthly. Although, to be honest I've drank probably 3 times in the last month (family gathering, concert, and went to a trivia night with my sister). But I don't drink that often. Before that, the last time I drank was probably a couple months ago. I'm sure all of you know what my substance of choice is.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2012, 12:25:48 AM »
I'm sure all of you know what my substance of choice is.

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »
averages out to about twice a month.  usually one mixed drink.  I can't stand the taste of wine or beer

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2012, 01:27:13 AM »
I think a good sign that I am an alcoholic is that I look at almost all the post here and think,"what the hell is the purpose of just one drink."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2012, 01:45:54 AM »
I'm sure all of you know what my substance of choice is.

I prefer the sticks, actually.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2012, 01:52:56 AM »
One in each nostril?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
I think a good sign that I am an alcoholic is that I look at almost all the post here and think,"what the hell is the purpose of just one drink."

Yeah, that's probably it. I drink almost daily, a glass of red wine to close off the day, or one scotch after rehearsing.
But of course when I go party, I'll drink more (6-8 wines/whiskeys or something like that). Not that I'm always passed out, I can even honestly say that I've never felt drunk in my life.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.