14 (12.1%)
Weekly basis
48 (41.4%)
Monthly basis
20 (17.2%)
Less then a monthly basis (specify)
34 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author Topic: How often do you drink alcohol?  (Read 12372 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: How often do you drink alcohol?
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2012, 01:56:59 AM »
I think a good sign that I am an alcoholic is that I look at almost all the post here and think,"what the hell is the purpose of just one drink."

Yeah, that's probably it. I drink almost daily, a glass of red wine to close off the day, or one scotch after rehearsing.
But of course when I go party, I'll drink more (6-8 wines/whiskeys or something like that). Not that I'm always passed out, I can even honestly say that I've never felt drunk in my life.
Though I haven't drank in almost a year, it's probably been at least twenty since I didn't start drinking with the sole goal of getting tanked.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2012, 02:20:26 AM »
I think a good sign that I am an alcoholic is that I look at almost all the post here and think,"what the hell is the purpose of just one drink."

Yeah, that's probably it. I drink almost daily, a glass of red wine to close off the day, or one scotch after rehearsing.
But of course when I go party, I'll drink more (6-8 wines/whiskeys or something like that). Not that I'm always passed out, I can even honestly say that I've never felt drunk in my life.
Though I haven't drank in almost a year, it's probably been at least twenty since I didn't start drinking with the sole goal of getting tanked.

Yeah that's crazy, I'm glad I've never had those intentions.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2012, 02:23:56 AM »
Be glad, it's a fucked way to live, so glad I'm out of it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:27 AM »
One in each nostril?

Who said anything about nostrils?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2012, 05:03:34 AM »
I want to change my answer to "not enough".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2012, 05:15:22 AM »
I want to change my answer to "not enough".
Sometimes, I feel that way too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »
I'm sure all of you know what my substance of choice is.

He's working his way up to Rubber cement. :tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2012, 07:25:36 AM »
Sixthed.

Smoking beforehand helps you pace yourself a little better sometimes since you aren't chasing intoxication because you'll start feeling the green in less time than it takes to get to the bar unless y'all are hitting a small piece in the car in the parking lot outside and then just walking into the bar which I'd strongly advise against if you're in an unfamiliar area.

Seventhed.  But I will say this about the whole spins thing- There's a line (for me anyway).  I can't say exactly where it is, it's just something I get a feel for during the evening, but there is a point where if I drink just enough and then blaze it takes me to that magical place where I'm fucking unstoppable at Mario Kart 64.  But just one tiny step over that line, then yeah- spins :shudders:

A good cure for the spins though that always worked for me:  throw Wish You Were Here on in a pitch black room and then lay down and close your eyes.  I'd always be passed out before the vocals on Shine On came in.

I dominate in Mario Kart 64 when drunk.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
Not trying to burst anyones bubble, because as a former moderate drinker, I am not someone to tell other people what to do regarding alcohol.and i am definetly not preaching here.  Everything in moderation is good.  i partake in some beers occasionally (see food thread why hehe). But what i do not like hearing is "i drink about 6 beers a day and some shots, but I don't get drunk". An alcoholic doesnt nesecarily get drunk because the body gets accustomed to the quantity". Just sayin. So just beacuse you do not get drunk after a 12 pack a day, does not mean you are not an alcoholic.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:12:40 PM by njdtfan »
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
Did you read the thread?  It's mostly people who drink in moderation or less.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »

One is too many and a thousand not enough
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:13 AM »
I drank 6 beers Saturday night while sitting in my backyard with a nice fire going. It was a relaxing night. Sunday I drank water and gator aid while sitting outside all day. I love being able to have a few when I want them. I always am aware how when and how much I drink.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:33 AM »
It's funny, I'm actually drinking much, much less now that I've begun working for a wine tasting restaurant. I've been there almost a year now and at first I was tasting and drinking wine like no other; but now that I've been promoted, I'm still tasting the wine and whatnot, except specifically for business and selling to patrons, informing them, blah blah blah. But for the most part I don't ever drink these days outside of The Tasting Room. That said, I picked monthly just because I'll have a drink of scotch every now and again but even then, I can't pinpoint a specific time I've had a drink in the last few months outside of work.

All that said, I've been delving into certain illegal substances (granted, I still take the saying of 'everything in moderation' pretty SRSBZNSSLY) a little more, so I'm not here to gloat or anything. Absolutely loving that V.

...Vampire blood. Duh. Stupidass. Don't do pills.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »
It's funny, I'm actually drinking much, much less now that I've begun working for a wine tasting restaurant. I've been there almost a year now and at first I was tasting and drinking wine like no other; but now that I've been promoted, I'm still tasting the wine and whatnot, except specifically for business and selling to patrons, informing them, blah blah blah. But for the most part I don't ever drink these days outside of The Tasting Room. That said, I picked monthly just because I'll have a drink of scotch every now and again but even then, I can't pinpoint a specific time I've had a drink in the last few months outside of work.

All that said, I've been delving into certain illegal substances (granted, I still take the saying of 'everything in moderation' pretty SRSBZNSSLY) a little more, so I'm not here to gloat or anything. Absolutely loving that V.

Vampire blood is illegal? Since when?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »

One is too many and a thousand not enough

Ain't that the fucking truth.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »

Vampire blood is illegal? Since when?

Ummm, do you even know Russel Edgington? Dude will rip your spine out. For realz. Human law...psh, what a crock. Those vampires really enforce their shit.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2012, 02:47:07 PM »
Quite a spread in the results, interesting.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »
Doesn't surprise me, all types of variations in drinkers, and their view of themselves.  I've met people who are in recovery, yet really didn't have a high consumption, and I know peeps who are comfortable with their lives, and drink massive volumes, it all depends on how they view it themselves.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »
I didn't even vote, none of them apply to me.

Offline theGonz

« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
Before I lost my second job, I used to drink at least once a week. I can't afford to now and have been sober for almost a month. Now that I've been sober so long, I really don't feel the need to drink, which is good in terms of my health.
*epic instrumental section*

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
I've only drank alcohol a handful of times in my life.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
I don't really drink anymore, this year I had a cocktail in February, half a pint of Stella in April and some cider last weekend as I was away in London partying. I'm practically teetotal. I've done more than my fair share of drinking when I was 14-19 and then I just grew outta it, I hate how alcohol makes me feel and hate even more the morning after. Never used to have an 'off' switch either, which I seem to be finding again when I have the odd drink. Also my mum died of alcoholism and my sister is an addict and I'm prone to self-destruction (through masochism, self harm rather than substances) so it's probably for the best I abstain. I <3 being sober.

Also did six months vol work in a prison rehabilitation wing and my general experiences have all tied together to make me view alcohol in a much more different, slightly sinister way compared to the way most people my age seem to view it. It's a dangerous drug, some people can handle in moderation and others can't, but either way it's way more dangerous than society gives it credit for.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
Today, it has been 365 days since I had a drink.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »
Congrats  :tup

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »
Well done, lonestar!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »

Very cool dude. Congrats!

Also, I work as a drug/alcohol counselor and have seen a wide range of drinkers. From people who don't really have a problem and can handle drinking, to those who REALLY can't. I've also seen people know what they are and people who have no idea what soever that they have problems. I never make it my business (unless I really care about the person) to tell other people what to do or not do. However it can be sad at times to see people drink their lives away while at no point realizing that anything bad is happening.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2012, 04:03:59 PM »

AWESOME Brotha!
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »

Congratulations, Chef - that is spectacular. :clap:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2012, 06:47:43 AM »
I voted for the last option, because I only drink very rarely, due to an experience I had as a child.

I don't know if this is popular outside of Germany, but in Germany kids have so-called "Adventskalender", which are basically calendars that contain a small sweet for each day from the first of December until Christmas Eve. Most people buy them at the supermarket, but I had one that my grandfather, who is a carpenter, had made, and my mother would fill it herself.

Then, one day, she accidentally put a chocolate filled with some kind of hard liquor, that I promptly spat out. (To this day, I think that she did it on purpose to keep me from drinking at an early age - if she did, it worked). From that moment on, I was repulsed by alcoholic beverages for a long time, and this has only slightly changed over the past years.

Now, I do have a drink now and then, though nothing with more alcohol than a glass of sparkling wine, or a "Kölsch" (again, I have no idea, whether this is known outside of Germany, but it's basically a very mild beer, where the alcoholic taste isn't that prominent).

So yeah, that much about my alcohol consumption. I do drink, but only very little and very rarely.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »

Well done my friend on your year! Feels great doesn't it? I have been clean for 1 year 1 month and 12 days.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »

Well done my friend on your year! Feels great doesn't it? I have been clean for 1 year 1 month and 12 days.

Thanks Akasha, I hope you are doing well.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2012, 07:34:24 AM »
That's awesome lonestar! Commendable.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jsem

« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
Never and never have.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »
I used to go months without a drink because I'm not much of a drinker.  Since I met my GF 9 months ago, we have an occasional drink.  We shared a bottle of wine when I took her out to dinner over the weekend for her birthday.  That was nice.  I'd say weekly on average.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2012, 09:42:31 AM »
I don't know if this is popular outside of Germany, but in Germany kids have so-called "Adventskalender", which are basically calendars that contain a small sweet for each day from the first of December until Christmas Eve.

Common in the US, as well.  "Advent Calendars", in English.

Now, I do have a drink now and then, though nothing with more alcohol than a glass of sparkling wine, or a "Kölsch" (again, I have no idea, whether this is known outside of Germany, but it's basically a very mild beer, where the alcoholic taste isn't that prominent).

We import quite a few German beers, including Kölsch.