Author Topic: Toto  (Read 52520 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Toto
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 02:50:01 AM »
Must've been an Aussie involved somewhere  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 02:50:57 AM »
Having an Aussie involved isn't at all mandatory to me disliking something, it just helps. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »
It's probably not that easy to find but I referenced another Fergie album in the album listening thread the other day -  Fredericksen/Phillips which is quite stripped back AOR but has some decent songs on it.   "Phillips" is Ricky Phillips from Styx/The Babys/Bad English.

It has a good version of Hopelessly Lost which is one of my favourite unreleased Mark Free demos - Fergie does quite a good job on it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2014, 03:10:54 AM »
I didn't like Isolation at all, which is a shame, because Frederiksen's last solo album made me a fan of his.
Really diggin the verse and bridge in Endless so far. Given that there's no real "hit song" on the album or any song that they still play live I have a feeling the album in that sense is regarded as a hidden treasure by fans.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2014, 03:26:04 AM »
It's probably not that easy to find but I referenced another Fergie album in the album listening thread the other day -  Fredericksen/Phillips which is quite stripped back AOR but has some decent songs on it.   "Phillips" is Ricky Phillips from Styx/The Babys/Bad English.

It has a good version of Hopelessly Lost which is one of my favourite unreleased Mark Free demos - Fergie does quite a good job on it.

I'll have to check that one out.

The one album that introduced me to Fergie was the Frederiksen/Denander album, Baptizm of Fire.  Great songs and of course great guitar playing by Tommy, really good cd.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 04:03:44 AM »
I didn't like Isolation at all, which is a shame, because Frederiksen's last solo album made me a fan of his.
i'm not much of a fan of that album either... I'l have to look up that solo album and the other one mentioned as well and give them a listen :-).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 04:38:45 AM »
How on earth could I miss this:

It has also been announced that long-time member drummer Simon Phillips will be departing the band to pursue his solo career and other interests.  Luke shares, "He is still a dear friend and we wish him the very best and continued success," The band welcomes new addition Keith Carlock (Steely Dan, Sting, James Taylor, John Mayer).  Carlock originally hails from Clinton, Mississippi, and has collaborated with Luke in the past in the jam band Toxic Monkey.
Keith Carlock is awesome but I really didn't see that coming.  :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 05:40:38 AM »
Following this thread I started listening to more Toto and man they are even better than I thought. I had listened to some best of record which I really liked but there's so much more great stuff out there. I will spend lots of time listening to them in the future.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
Little known fact, the members of Toto (before they were Toto) were the band for Boz Skaggs on his Silk Degrees album.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »
Well, David Paich and Jeff Porcaro anyway.  They were basically the core of the band, and Boz's band as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »
Sort of like Frey and Henley with Linda Ronstadt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
Lukather did a lot of guitarwork for Boz too. 

Tbh you'd be surprised at just how many sessions the Toto guys played on back in the day, and how many hits they're responsible for.  Steve Porcaro wrote MJ's Human Nature (!!!)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 06:03:51 PM »
And Jeff with Steely Dan of course!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »
And Jeff with Steely Dan of course!

Oh, yes.  RIP Jeff.  No-one could groove like Jeff!

Its amazing to think that most people would have albums with songs either written or played by these guys in their CD collection without even knowing it :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 03:43:10 AM »
Lukather did a lot of guitarwork for Boz too. 

Tbh you'd be surprised at just how many sessions the Toto guys played on back in the day, and how many hits they're responsible for.  Steve Porcaro wrote MJ's Human Nature (!!!)
Yea man they bascially ruled the session musician market back in the day. A friend of my is a big fan of westcoast rock and have a huge collection of albums from that era and when you look in the credits of alot of those albums it's a pretty tight collective of muscians that's recurring and you'd be amazed how often a Toto guy is credited, pretty amazing actually.

Some guys doing a terrific cover of Africa

Man to this day I still love that song, a true definition of a great hit song.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:57:49 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Rob801

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 09:43:01 AM »
I think that's why the tribute concert sounds so good with all the guest... they all played on those songs with those artist... with the exception of Simon Phillips of course (not all of them on all of them but you know what I mean) and they just sound spot on.

Another one to remember too is MJ's Thriller.... I know at least Lukather and Porcaro appeared on that (lukes sound is so obvious when it comes in... don't remember the name of the song (my son went through a MJ phase when he died  ;)).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
Yep they're pretty much all over that album:

Steve Lukather – guitar, bass guitar
David Paich – keyboards, synthesizers, programming
Jeff Porcaro – drums, horn and string arrangements
Steve Porcaro – keyboards, synthesizers, programming

Greg Phillinganes – keyboards, synthesizers, programming

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 10:10:26 AM »
Must be a generational thing, because when I was a young Jaq, it was pretty common knowledge that Toto was composed mainly of a murderer's row of session musicians. Before Rosanna and Africa it was kind of their gimmick.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
Must be a generational thing, because when I was a young Jaq, it was pretty common knowledge that Toto was composed mainly of a murderer's row of session musicians. Before Rosanna and Africa it was kind of their gimmick.  :lol

And to thing you still remember too Jaq!! :lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2014, 01:33:27 AM »
New live DVD/BR 2CD set is out, anyone picking it up?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 03:20:42 AM »

Should have it Mon or Tues.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 04:51:39 AM »
Color me intrigued.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 04:55:11 AM »
I saw the preview clip of Hold the Line and it was solid, although I'm not interested enough to get it. I'm much more interested in the new album they're working on!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2014, 05:29:26 AM »
Got it yesterday and watched it.  So damn tight and I love the setlist.  Better World was a big surprise!!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2014, 05:35:07 AM »
Totally missed this. Just checked out HtL and Rosanna and even though i've seen him live i'm still amazed how good Joseph sounds. Of course he has some good genes in the musicians department.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2014, 05:39:41 AM »
So glad they do Home Of The Brave live again and Can't Lovin' You is so fun to see live.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2014, 07:29:18 PM »
I saw the preview clip of Hold the Line and it was solid, although I'm not interested enough to get it. I'm much more interested in the new album they're working on!

It's one of my all time fave songs and this version certainly to my ears, does it justice.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »
Rosanna was playing on the bus ride to afterprom the other night and i thought it was cool

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2014, 11:28:48 PM »
I picked up the 2CD live set yesterday and it sounds amazing.
Can't wait for the BR to come to my mail box.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
I got the BR in the week and it's quite superb, cannot fault anything about.
Set list, sound (5.1) vision and editing are all top draw.
Joe was the one that really surprised me though, I didn't know he was this good and had such a range.

Driving along today in the car, my girlfriend and her daughter with me, I was playing the new live CD and they both
asked me what this 'pussy' music was? I had a chuckle and told them that Toto are a legendary band and that I do like some mellow stuff.
As I usually listen to power metal and that's all they both really know.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »
That is such a funny story! :lol

My nieces and nephews ask me if I really listen to that music. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2014, 05:33:05 AM »
Just saw their Live in Poland on blu-ray and man did they top this one. Sound, performance, songs are top notch and Joseph sounds amazing. Truly happy with this one. Kind of hoped the Behind the scenes were a bit longer though but you can't have it all.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
Simon sure knows how to get the most perfect drumsound live. Love it!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »

Cute girl but the guy behind her!  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
I can't wait for the new album.  I'm glad they are continuing.