Author Topic: Toto  (Read 52490 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Toto
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »
After I started collecting records, I really got into Toto after hearing Toto IV. Ever since then, I have all their records up until Fahrenheit. (The music just doesn't feel the same without Bobby).

I just have really enjoyed the stuff I've heard, but like mentioned before, I have trouble listening after Fergie Ferguson joined.

Any other Toto fans out there?  It's not common for my age group to be Toto fans, but their sound is just excellent.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Official Toto Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
I've always thought that they have a great sound.  I have Toto IV and it's good, but other than that, I've never really dug into them.  I think I encountered them at a time when I was getting more into prog, and they weren't proggy enough for me.  The guys have great chops.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Toto
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »
I have all their CD's.  Big fan.  I am a huge fan of The Seventh One.  You should try their later disks like Tambu, Mindfields and Falling in Between.  My favorite album is Hydra.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »
Toto is awesome.  I'm constantly spinning their songs.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
Check out Falling in Between; it's really good.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »
I have all their CD's.  Big fan.  I am a huge fan of The Seventh One.  You should try their later disks like Tambu, Mindfields and Falling in Between.  My favorite album is Hydra.
Next time I'm at the record shop, I'll check them out. I just really wish Bobby wasn't into the whole drugs thing back in '84. That lineup was great.

And I really love Hydra. The opening song is excellent, 99 isn't bad either. I'll need to re-listen to the others to get a good idea of which album I like.

Check out Falling in Between; it's really good.
Will do
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:59:57 AM »
Not perfect but interesting cover:

Chaos Divine - Africa

I'm going to see Toto this summer.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »
I saw TOTO IV on CD in a charity shop for £1.50

Purchased.  :hat

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 02:06:05 PM »
Not perfect but interesting cover:

Chaos Divine - Africa

I'm going to see Toto this summer.  :tup

Different, but quite good.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 02:13:47 PM »
I saw TOTO IV on CD in a charity shop for £1.50

Purchased.  :hat
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
I own all their CD's.  Big, big fan.  Saw them on the 7th One tour.  Had tickets to see them 5 years ago from the 8th row and they canceled. :'(
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Toto are awesome!!!! One of the best shows I've ever seen too!!!!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 08:21:09 AM »
I have a friend who is a big fan of Toto and westcoast music in general. Anyway his been on countless Toto gig since the 80s but he always tells me that one of the best Toto gig he's ever been to was in 1995 during the Tambu tour. He came into the venue and looked at the stage and saw a relatively small kit and was like....wtf? Where's Simons kit?

So what happend was that, can't remember why but Simon had to cancel that gig or tour and the filler was no other than Gregg Bissonette. He always tells me that Toto have never ever sounded better than that night when Gregg filled in, no diss to Simon because he's great no doubt about that but Gregg brought a certain groove than he hadn't heard since Jeff.

I'm glad I just found a snippet of Gregg playing with Toto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKpL07ly8fE

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 08:37:16 AM »
Toto is simply awesome, saw them more than 10 times and every time was great.

Saw the tour where Gregg Bissonette filled in in Cologne/Germany, if I remember correctly Simon Philips had some back problems and couldn't sit or stand straight.

The concert I've been to was one of the first, if not the first with Gregg. It was great but you could see (not hear) that Gregg was somewhat insecure in his playing because he had to learn around 20 songs in a day or two. He had some kind of sheet music next to him and the band, especially Luke, gave him a lot of signs to signal the breaks or changes. Nonetheles he nailed it, but I wouldn't say that he was better than Simon Philips, just different.

And as good as these two drummers are, no one can beat Jeff Porcaro when it comes to a serious shuffle groove. I'm glad that I saw them two times with Jeff, one time begin the Greatest Hits tour and the other time was a one off show before Kingdom of Desire.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 08:46:21 AM »
Funny you guys bumped this, I ordered a box set called "The Collection" that has their first seven albums. Should get it towards the end of the month.  :smiley:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »
Toto is simply awesome, saw them more than 10 times and every time was great.

Saw the tour where Gregg Bissonette filled in in Cologne/Germany, if I remember correctly Simon Philips had some back problems and couldn't sit or stand straight.

The concert I've been to was one of the first, if not the first with Gregg. It was great but you could see (not hear) that Gregg was somewhat insecure in his playing because he had to learn around 20 songs in a day or two. He had some kind of sheet music next to him and the band, especially Luke, gave him a lot of signs to signal the breaks or changes. Nonetheles he nailed it, but I wouldn't say that he was better than Simon Philips, just different.

And as good as these two drummers are, no one can beat Jeff Porcaro when it comes to a serious shuffle groove. I'm glad that I saw them two times with Jeff, one time begin the Greatest Hits tour and the other time was a one off show before Kingdom of Desire.

Awesome to hear!  :tup I've been to 3 tours so far: 25th Anniversary Tour, Falling In Between Tour and the summer tour for Mike. I think the last one was one of the better, Joseph was on fire.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »
My last tour was the Falling In Between tour. Missed out on the last couple of summer tours and have never seen them with Joseph Williams. Hopefully they come again next summer and hopefully I will then have the time.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
RIP Fergie Frederiksen

:sadpanda:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »
Very sad - R.I.P. Fergie.

Given the length of time Toto have been around and the couple of long serving lead vox they had (Kimball, Williams) it's pretty amazing how many diehard fans list Isolation (Fergie's only appearance) as their favourite.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
You're kidding me. RIP. :(
I love Frederiksen's last solo album, and some of those songs hit me hard given what he's been through recently. I think it's going to be even harder to listen to now, but I'm going to give it a spin in remembrance.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
I count my blessing that I made it through Lymphoma ever day.  RIP Fergie.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »
Wow, I'm sorry I had to see this thread because of the passing of a former member :-(.

R.I.P.

I have always been a big Toto fan... They were always the first album/cd I'd grab when I just felt like playin my drums to something and couldn't think of, or get into anything else at a particular moment (their whole catologue but especially up to and including Feirenheight when I was younger). I really like (and like jamming to) Through the Looking Glass as well... I guess the two albums I listen to the least are Isolation and Kingdom of Desire.

I've only seen Toto live 3 times... The first at the Californina World Music Festival in 79' (that was actually 2 times since they played both days), the second (unfortunately because of Jeff's death) at the tribute concert at the Universal Ampitheater in 92' (but man what a great concert and guest/set list), and the last time a few years back in Copenhagen.

I guess I only saw Toto as few times as I did because I as big a fan as I was, I was just as big a fan of Los Lobotomys with Lukather, Porcaro (and later Phillips) and various others, who I saw regularly at The Baked Potato in Studio City (midnight shows of course.... Should anyone be familiar with the place), you never knew who might show up there :-).

After looking up the 92 concert I can see there is a soundboard bootleg floating around which I think I'm gonna have to get a hold of (have no idea of the quality but I remember the performances being absolutely top notch... Of course), would be nice if they released a polished copy one day. Here's the set list from that show:

Disc One
Toto
1. Intro
2. Gypsy Train
3. Child's Anthem
4. I'll Supply The Love
5. I'll Be Over You

Michael McDonald
6. Michael McDonald Intro
7. I Keep Forgettin'
8. Takin' It To The Streets

Toto
9. Home Of the Brave
10. Dave Solo
11. Georgy Porgy
12. 99
13. If It's The Last Night
14. Angela
15. I Won't Hold You Back
16. Don't Stop Me Now
17. Africa

Donald Fagen
18. Donald Fagen Intro
19. Chain Lightning

Disc Two
Donald Fagen (cont.)
1. Josie

Toto
2. Little Wing
3. Kingdom Of Desire
4. Jake To The Bone

Boz Scaggs
5. Boz Scaggs Intro
6. Lowdown
7. Lido Shuffle

Disc Three
Toto
1. Angel Don't Cry
2. Don't Chain My Heart
3. Rosanna

Don Henley
4. Don Henley Intro
5. Dirty Laundry
6. You Better Hang Up
7. Come Rain Or Come Shine

Toto (with Eddie Van Halen)
8. Fire
9. Ain't Talkin''Bout Love
10. Hold The Line
11. Band Intros

Everybody, including George Harrison
12. With A Little Help From My Friends (Finale)

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:01:43 PM by Rob801 »

Online Polarbear

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 01:39:39 AM »

Given the length of time Toto have been around and the couple of long serving lead vox they had (Kimball, Williams) it's pretty amazing how many diehard fans list Isolation (Fergie's only appearance) as their favourite.

Myself included. R.I.P Fergie

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 03:56:23 AM »
Just heard about Fergie too.  I had a feeling it was coming since he relapsed again.  He put up such an amazing fight.  Just got his Happiness album a week ago too.

This is from his official website.

It is with a very heavy heart I tell you that my sweet soulbrother Fergie Frederiksen passed away today January 18.

Fergie has been a true Champ, and a fighter, and for this he got several years extra with us, and actually a couple of extra albums that will be of great joy for fans all over the world for many more years to come.

Now, this has been a Journey for me as well. I started the unofficial Fergie Frederiksen website in the mid 90s, and by the end of the 90s me and Fergie agreed to make it his official website. It has been a joyride, of ups and downs (healthwise), musically only ups! I have loved it all along, to work with Fergie, he has been such a true and good friend to me. Last summer I went to Sweden for a couple of days to hang with him, and he really made my day when he dedicated the Toto song Endless (my all time favourite Toto song!) on stage. Magical for me!

So what now?

Well, we should all celebrate Fergies life and music, the way he impacted us all in such a great way is just start-touching for many of us!

If you still want to donate and contribute to Fergies Family, you can do so. Money now will be spent for his funeral and the costs around this and some events. Go here to donate:

https://www.gofundme.com/3ydgpo

My friend Fergie, thank you very much for all the good years, were you have been such a great part of my life, even a good friend. I wish you a safe journey, I will never forget you and the great moments we had together. Travel in peace…

Klaus
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 04:08:22 AM »
I have always loved the hell out of Toto while I am listening to them, but for some reason have never really dug into their catalog at length.  I have Toto IV, Greatest Hits, and Falling In Between.

I love their musicianship, groove, and songwriting, and the vocals are top notch.  Just a great, great band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 04:14:18 AM »
I have always loved the hell out of Toto while I am listening to them, but for some reason have never really dug into their catalog at length.  I have Toto IV, Greatest Hits, and Falling In Between.

I love their musicianship, groove, and songwriting, and the vocals are top notch.  Just a great, great band.

I'm sort of in the same boat.  And considering the AOR bands I love, Toto should be something I know like the back of my hand.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 01:57:55 AM »

After looking up the 92 concert I can see there is a soundboard bootleg floating around which I think I'm gonna have to get a hold of (have no idea of the quality but I remember the performances being absolutely top notch... Of course), would be nice if they released a polished copy one day. Here's the set list from that show:

Disc One
Toto
1. Intro
2. Gypsy Train
3. Child's Anthem
4. I'll Supply The Love
5. I'll Be Over You

Michael McDonald
6. Michael McDonald Intro
7. I Keep Forgettin'
8. Takin' It To The Streets

Toto
9. Home Of the Brave
10. Dave Solo
11. Georgy Porgy
12. 99
13. If It's The Last Night
14. Angela
15. I Won't Hold You Back
16. Don't Stop Me Now
17. Africa

Donald Fagen
18. Donald Fagen Intro
19. Chain Lightning

Disc Two
Donald Fagen (cont.)
1. Josie

Toto
2. Little Wing
3. Kingdom Of Desire
4. Jake To The Bone

Boz Scaggs
5. Boz Scaggs Intro
6. Lowdown
7. Lido Shuffle

Disc Three
Toto
1. Angel Don't Cry
2. Don't Chain My Heart
3. Rosanna

Don Henley
4. Don Henley Intro
5. Dirty Laundry
6. You Better Hang Up
7. Come Rain Or Come Shine

Toto (with Eddie Van Halen)
8. Fire
9. Ain't Talkin''Bout Love
10. Hold The Line
11. Band Intros

Everybody, including George Harrison
12. With A Little Help From My Friends (Finale)

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I have this bootleg and the quality is superb.
I'd even go as far to say as the version I have does not require much, if anything to be released as an official live album under the Toto banner.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2014, 10:17:45 PM »
That's really good to hear... After I posted I found the cover and saw that it is remastered from DAT so I had high hopes that it was good quality.

I found a couple of torrents, one around 375mb mp3 and another a little over a gb FLAC. I've only gotten to 75% on the mp3 version and the FLAC is totally inactive... I think if I'm patient (and have my computer on at the right time) the mp3 torrent will finish sooner or later (there was someone seeding with the whole file when I started... Then they disappeared). I also found a link on some guitar forum to a direct download site but it didn't finish and I didn't trust the site enough to pay for unlimited access...

Anyway, I'm looking even more forward to hearing it now :-).

Online gazinwales

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »
I think mine must be the remastered version, as I said quality is superb, perhaps the best bootleg I have ever heard.
I hope you can get the loss-less, if not I might be able to hook you up in some way or form.

Offline Rob801

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
Thanks :-). I'll give it a couple weeks or so and see if any seeders pop upon the two torrents I found... If not I'll send you a PM and maybe we could figure something out with drop box or something like that.

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
Toto is awesome! My favorite song by them is Africa. It's always my make me feel better song for some reason and that chorus. So sad that the singer died over the weekend though  :sadpanda: *sad face*

Offline Rob801

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2014, 01:29:31 AM »
I finally got it downloaded last night through the "non torrent" site... It's a zipped file but I took a chance on unzipping it since it's a semi private file share (one person uploads and anyone with the link can download the file.... No uploading necessary). The (working) link is on the last page of this thread if anyone's interested.

If it's against fForum rules to post the link I'll remove it again... it's a bootleg that's 22 years old and not for profit so not sure if it's a grey area, allowed, or banned...
https://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/toto-the-jeff-porcaro-tribute-concert-soundboard-dat-version-remastered-52456.html

What a great recording... I didn't get it till late last night.... Listened through to Georgy Porgy and then started forwarding and listening to the start of the rest of the songs. I had to force myself to go to sleep around midnight (alarm clock rings at 4:45 every morning).

I actually think that the mix (sounding great for the most part without being too cleaned up) adds to the feeling of being there... And having been there I have to admit I was getting a little choked up listening to it... It was just a really intimate and personal feeling show (kind of like a blown up version of being at a Lukather (Los Lobotomys) show at the Baked Potatoe.

I don't even remember if we knew who the special guest were going to be (I'd have to dig out my ticket stub and see if they were mentioned) but we were just so blown away by everyone that was there. Really a once in a lifetime opportunity. I was also stoked (is that word even still used?) to see that SP was in the drum chair (being a Jeff Beck fan and after seeing his great performance on The Who's Tommy (on tv).

As much as I like all the frontmen Toto have had, I've always really liked Lukathers vocals as well (and the songs he sings) and I think he was really good on this performance (as the only frontman besides the guest).

I guess if I had to mention the negatives on this recording (which are FAR out weighed by the positive) it would be that there are a couple of "pops" or fall outs, Georgy Porgy fades out and back in again at some point, and the last song (not sure if there were others) changes quality drastically (sounds like a single mike recording or something). Not sure if it's just my copy or if they are all like that(?), but like I said it's really nit picking all things considered.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:00:04 AM by Rob801 »

Online gazinwales

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2014, 02:18:20 AM »
Yeah it is a special recording, once in a lifetime, never to be repeated.
I agree Luke has a great voice, he's knows how to use it and its limitations.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2014, 02:42:17 AM »

I actually didn't know Isolation was that popular amongst fans. Haven't really dug my teeth into that album compared to the reast of their disco. I shall now spinn it all day to see what's all the fuzz is about.  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:05 AM »
I didn't like Isolation at all, which is a shame, because Frederiksen's last solo album made me a fan of his.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.