Author Topic: Adace's Top 50 Albums  (Read 25069 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
That's three great albums you got there.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline adace

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »
44. Bjork - Homogenic (1997)

This album is nothing less than an poignant, captivating journey into exotic lands. Bjork’s fiery vocals take you on a rollercoaster road through lanscapes of folk, trip-hop, alt rock and IDM. There’s just so much variety on this album that each song stands out like a rocky peak in the morning mist. The gamut runs from the mournful fragility of tracks such as “Unravel” to the epic, cinematic grandiosity of “Joga” and “Bachelorette.” This is one of those albums that immediately grabs you with its simplicity and beauty but keeps you coming back for more with its underlying complexity.
Indeed, as Bjork herself has noted, this is an album modeled on her native land of Iceland and is meant to reflect its complex, natural environment. In that sense, Homogenic is a very organic album and thus one that has immediate emotional resonance but also intellectual density at the same time. The amount of glitching in tracks such as “Alarm Call” gives the listener a sense that this is almost an improvisational work; something done right from the heart or rather out of some kind of connection between emotions and the natural world. Even Bjork’s vocal approach suggests a kind of anti-perfectionist, organic approach that connects nature and the soul as opposed to the staleness and stagnation of the American Idol, cookie-cutter pop model. In all, this is a fascinating and engaging album that is at once an intellectual mystery as it is an emotional catharsis. Fans of experimentation and innovative ideas should be quite pleased with it.

Recommended tracks: Joga, Bachelorette, Unravel, Hunter

43. Iron Maiden - Powerslave (1984)

All the 80’s era Maiden albums are such classics. It’s hard to choose my favorite but I had to choose Powerslave because Aces High and the title track are my two all-time favorite Maiden tracks. Plus it has one of the best metal album covers of all time. What impresses me the most about Iron Maiden besides their rock-solid songwriting abilities and the legendary vocals of Bruce Dickinson is their lyrical topics. They write songs about such a wide array of literary, historical, military, political and even philosophical subjects which adds an extra level of power to their music. Powerslave discusses such subjects as ancient Egyptian mythology, the Doomsday Clock and fencing. Oh and let’s not forget that they have one of the best drummers of all time as well as some of the best solos. As on all their albums, Nicko McBrain and the three guitarists shine brilliantly and make some incredibly ambitious music. All these elements coalesce into a perfect package on Powerslave. With Powerslave, as well as with Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden cemented themselves as the leading NWOBHM band and one of the best and most influential heavy metal bands of all time.

Recommended tracks: Powerslave, Flash of the Blade, Aces High, Rime of the Ancient Mariner

42. Kamelot - The Black Halo (2005)

Kamelot may not be as popular as other symphonic bands such as Nightwish and Within Temptation, but this album proves they can not only hold their own against their rivals, but also deliver a staple of the power/symphonic genre. This is a concept album with an engaging, Faust-influenced story about metaphysics and love. While the story alone may be novel material, the real focus should of course be on the music. Roy Khan’s soaring, operatic vocals and Thomas Youngblood’s melodic wizardry form the core of the album’s musical prowess. And as if their combined talent wasn’t enough to satisfy your musical appetite, the band invited guest vocalists Shagrath of Dimmu Borgir (one of my all time favorite black metal vocalists) and Simone Simons of Epica (about as ideal a symphonic metal vocalist as you can get) to lend their unique capabilities to the album. The mood of the album varies from quiet and somber on the ballads to loud and epic on the rest of the songs. Unlike more intense and complicated works by bands such as Rhapsody of Fire, The Black Halo offers just the right amount of beautiful melodies and killer riffs to attract those who aren’t big fans of power/symphonic metal.

Recommended tracks: March of Mephisto, When the Lights are Down

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »
Powerslave :2metal:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
Powerslave :2metal:

this

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is so awesome
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
Homogenic is a fantastic album. Good description, too.

Kosmo

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
The Black Halo is one of my favorite albums of all time so thumbs up.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
Homogenic and Powerslave!  :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »
Great update, three excellent albums! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
Powerslave & Black Halo  :hefdaddy
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
41. Blackfield - Blackfield (2004)

Imagine Anathema, Radiohead and the Cocteau Twins all thrown together and Blackfield is what you get. But of course one should not regard this album/group as derivative of those bands but rather as a unique and beautiful art rock project. Every song on this album is lush and textural from the spacey ballad “Glow” to the shimmering grandeur of “Summer.” Not only do Steven Wilson and Aviv Geffen shine here as top-notch vocalists, but Mr. Wilson’s legendary production methods give the album a sense of unity and crispness that few other producers are capable of rivalling (Devin Townsend being a noteworthy exception). The instrumentation is fairly simple but the ambience and richness of the album leave much to the listener’s imagination. In that respect, it is a very comforting album as the lyrics also attest to. Though this albums two successors may be quite strong in their own right, the Blackfield debut album stands as one of the most unique “pop” records I’ve heard to date and is one of the most enduring testaments to Mr. Wilson and Mr. Geffen’s creative genius.

Recommended tracks: Hello, Blackfield, Glow, Summer

40. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom (2009)

As far as doom metal goes, Candlemass are truly one of the greats and though they might not be nearly as popular or influential, I like them almost as much as the mighty Black Sabbath. Though many fans would choose “Nightfall” as their best album, I have to go with Death Magic Doom not only because it’s the first Candlemass album I heard/loved but because the riffs and vocals are just more appealing to me than those on “Nightfall” (as classic of an album as that is). Messiah Marcolin was a great fit for the band and I enjoy his voice very much but Robert Lowe adds so much power and aggressiveness to the band that he really puts the “epic” in epic doom metal. He sort of has a Dio meets Bruce Dickinson type of voice that gives the music an extra dimension of rawness whereas Marcolin’s higher pitched vocals somewhat hindered the band from being as heavy as it should have been.
As far as the album goes, the riffs are heavy as lead (especially on “Hammer of Doom”) and the solos are phenomenal. The lyrics, morosely dark per usual, only add to the sheer weight and magnitude of the songs’ heaviness. You can think of it as a super-heavy mix between Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath but in the end it’s just good, ol’ fashioned heavy metal and a truly worthy addition to the doom metal genre.

39. Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg (2009)

As far as stoner/retro rock goes, Wolfmother are at the pinnacle of the genre in my opinion. While they might not rival their predecessors/inspiration in Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, AC/DC etc., they have still deservedly earned the honor of being one of the modern era’s leading hard rock bands. Most fans would probably choose their self-titled debut as their best album so far but I think that they really progressed on Cosmic Egg and made their music even more powerful and energetic. Take the epic, Kashmir-esque grooving of “10,000 Feet” or the raw, punkish riffage of “White Feather” for example and it is clear that not only did Wolfmother not experience anything even approaching a ‘sophomore slump’, but they managed to improve on their already tried-and-true formula. If you are a fan of classic hard and metal, you will most likely be pleasantly surprised at the degree to which such a young band has breathed fresh life into that time-honored sound.

Recommended tracks: Far Away, 10,000 Feet, New Moon Rising
Recommended tracks: If I Ever Die, The Bleeding Baroness, Hammer of Doom, Demon of the Deep

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 01:15:37 AM »
Blackfield!  :heart

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »
Loving this list! Great albums so far.

Offline adace

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »
Thanks for all the support, guys! Glad you're liking my picks  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
Interesting pick with Cosmic Egg.  I never really gave it much of a chance.  The debut though is killer.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 05:16:39 AM »
I'm a bit late, but... POWERSLAVE!  :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
38. Alcest - Souvenirs d’un Autre Monde (2007)

This album is the definitive proof that metal can be beautiful. Like Wolves in the Throne Room and another black metal band soon to be mentioned, Alcest transform the black metal idiom of darkness and evil into something positive and blissful. The lyrics are in French which lends itself quite well to the poetic aspirations of Neige while the music consists of shoegaze metal riffage and resplendent acoustic folk. The vocals themselves vary from traditional black metal shrieking to Sigur Ros-esque crooning. As Neige has mentioned, the concept of the band is to help him and his listeners to find their lost childhood. While such a goal might not be all that realistic, you certainly get the feeling that you are connecting with an inner self while listening to the album; especially if you listen while paying close attention to the translated lyrics (unless of course you already know a good deal of French). Out of the numerous shoegaze black metal bands including Amesoeurs and Lantlos, Alcest stands out as the leader in the genre and their debut album is, for me, their most polished and beautiful work. It is a transcendent work of art that shines forth from the underground world of metal and is one of the most unique albums ever within the black metal genre.

Recommended tracks: title track, Les Iris, Printemps Emeraude

37. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place (2003)

Not only is this one of the best post-rock albums in existence from a compositional standpoint, but it’s also a breathtaking, emotional journey through the deepest chasms of the soul. Post-rock has a knack for emotional storytelling and it is this band and album that speak to us through their music. The band wisely chose to let their instruments be the narrator to the listener’s inner journey because they realized that vocals in this context would be entirely superfluous and potentially counterproductive. From serene, melodic passages to thundering, distorted crescendos, this is an emotional rollercoaster that, unlike the cinematic and relatively abstract qualities of Mono’s works, for examples, this is a deeply personal album. In this regard, it is human, warm and organic. Every song conveys a unique emotional message and the album as a whole is a ‘concept album’ about one of the most basic human emotions: love. Those who are put off by instrumental music should at least give this album a chance. They may end up unsure why vocals should even matter in the first place.

Recommended tracks: Your Hand In Mine, Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean, First Breath After Coma

36. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Now to my all-time favorite post-rock album. Here, Sigur Ros channel the spirit of Iceland into musical brilliance. The beautiful landscape of their native country plays a key role in shaping the vast, haunting soundscape that is this album. One can easily imagine the silent flow of icebergs in the night as one is engulfed in the pure ecstasy that is “Svefn-g-englar” or strolling lazily through verdant pastures on a summer day when listening to the almost jazzy “Ny batteri.” Then one can imagine wandering through a sleep Icelandic hamlet on “Olsen Olsen” or lying down on top of a mountain at night to watch the aurora borealis on “Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa.” Whereas Explosions in the Sky follow traditional post-rock composition standards, Sigur Ros eschew those standards in favor of a more minimalistic and even more organic sound. It’s like their music encapsulates the story of every human life and every natural wonder into a harmonious, breathtakingly beautiful masterpiece of sound. Jonsi is like a creature from another world speaking to us in an incomprehensible language, but enlightening us at the same time. Perhaps that may sound a little over the top, but it is quite easy for the imagination to run wild when listening to this gorgeous music. Sigur Ros are truly a one of a kind band and this album is not only their crowning achievement, but arguably the best post-rock album ever made.

Recommended tracks: Svefn-g-englar, Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa, Staralfur

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »
Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros  :tup

Those albums don't make my top 50 but I enjoy them a lot
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
agaetis byrjun = one of the greatest albums ever recorded. seriously.
I love beautiful things.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place  :heart :heart :heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
I am liking that album from The Sword; nice recommendation!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 01:30:27 AM »
Nice update!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 02:27:50 AM »
Great update! love all three of those albums.

Offline adace

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
35. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (2006)/The Mantle (2002)

Well, this marks the first time on the list where I couldn’t decide between a band’s albums so in Agalloch’s case, I listed both these masterpieces for this entry. Agalloch often gets compared to Opeth which makes a fair amount of sense, but I tend to see their sound as more akin to Ulver’s Bergtatt. Both bands feature black metal vocals and riffage as well as extensive folky passages. Yet, Agalloch is still unique in the sense that they have pushed Ulver’s sound in completely new directions. In fact, they have taken black metal so far away from its roots as to cause controversy over whether or not they belong in the black metal category in the first place. In fact, they straddle between many genres including black metal, neofolk, doom metal, post-rock, and a touch of dark ambient. But for our purposes, it isn’t the genres that are our main concern but the content of the music.
Agalloch are a highly visual band. They create cold, desolate landscapes all within the confines of the listener’s mind. In fact, there is an entire universe of imagery and themes within Agalloch’s music. Much of the thematics within this universe have to do with pantheism and Nietzschean themes of individualism and alienation from modern society. Though I would not classify myself as either a pantheist or a Nietzschean, I cannot help but marvel at the incredible philosophical poetry lead vocalist/songwriter/guitarist John Haughm has written and the sheer uniqueness of this band in terms of its ability to weld together particular imagery with particular themes.
From the delicate snowfall on a moonlit winter night found on the majestic “Odal” to the raw, blizzard-like terror of “Not Unlike the Waves,” these two albums represent epic, genre-defying explorations of humanity’s relationship to nature and its place in the cosmos. These two albums are blisteringly cold at times, yet one can always find on them a dimly lit cabin with a glowing hearth that promises redemption and offers a sense of identity amongst the chaos and ruin.

Recommended tracks: Not Unlike the Waves, The Hawthorne Passage, Odal, Falling Snow, You Were But a Ghost In My Arms

34. Within Temptation - The Unforgiving (2011)

Despite the rather cheesy cover, this album is a piece of pop-metal mastery. Moving away from the purely symphonic side of metal, Within Temptation channel the 80’s pop style to great effect. Every song is catchy and Sharon den Adel’s vocals sound as clear and beautiful as ever. Tracks such as lead single “Faster” and the enchanting ballad “Fire and Ice” are just a few examples of the band’s ability to put together a cohesive, yet varied album. Those who want a more accessible form of symphonic metal will have found their match and older fans of Within Temptation will be amazed at the band’s ability to experiment with new sounds and make such a compelling album out of them. The Unforgiving is a whole lot of fun to listen to and is one of my all time symphonic/gothic records.

Recommended tracks: Faster, Sinead, Fire and Ice, Where is the Edge

33. Deftones - Diamond Eyes (2010)

After the tragic accident involving bassist Chi Cheng, it seemed as if the other members of the Deftones would either go on hiatus or if they did make an album, it would not be as good its predecessors. As it turns out, neither was the case. While White Pony may be many fans’ favorite Deftones release, I think that Diamond Eyes is not only their most concise and focused work, but it is also their best. Indeed, the band surprised many people in being able to produce such a critically acclaimed album given the circumstances.
The album is very heavy due to guitarist Abe Cunningham's use of an 8-string guitar. Chino Moreno delivers his signature whispered vocals beautifully and the fill-in bassist, Sergio Vega, performs flawlessly. The mood of the album ranges from heavy and aggressive on tracks such as “Rocket Skates” to subdued and reflective on “Sextape.” For a band that comes out of the much derided nu-metal/alt-metal scene, the Deftones have earned respect from critics and fans alike for their forays into the more experimental side of music. On this album, the experimentation is less pronounced than on Saturday Night Wrist or their self-titled opus, but this is only a healthy thing for the band as those two albums seemed to meander at times and lose their focus. In short, Diamond Eyes still fits within the ‘Deftones sound’, yet it has been tweaked to trim the fat and pack a real punch.

Recommended tracks: Sextape, Prince, title track, You’ve Seen the Butcher

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
Those Agalloch albums are fantastic.
Squ

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »
As always, The Mantle > Ashes Against the Grain

But Ashes is still awesome.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:58 PM »
Those Agalloch albums are fantastic.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »
:heart Deftones - Diamond Eyes :heart is soooooooo amazingly gooooood!

Offline adace

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 11:20:39 PM »
32. Opeth - Damnation (2003)

As we saw on last year’s Heritage and on this album, Opeth aren’t afraid to cross boundaries into the ‘dangerous’ territory of non-metal. After spending five albums fine-tuning their progressive death metal sound, Mikael Akerfeldt and the rest of the band decided to take a foray into the world of progressive rock and reconnect with the band’s roots. I do not see Damnation, or Heritage for that matter, as representing the band’s sound or attitude towards music any less than Blackwater Park or Still Life. Damnation is not only an expression of Mikael’s deep love for legendary prog-rock bands such as Pink Floyd and King Crimson (as well as more underground prog bands of the 1970’s), but it is also a brilliant piece of art that I believe is on par with at least some, if not all, of the great albums made by those bands and their contemporaries.
I have to admit I am also quite enamored by the unique sounds those bands brought to the musical scene so I readily identify with many elements on Damnation such as the prominent use of the mellotron, the jazzy drumming, and beautiful vocal harmonies. All those things plus Mikael’s natural talent as a singer/lyricist and master producer/musician Steven Wilson’s creative input make for an unforgettable classic. From the haunting mournfulness of “Weakness” to the anthemic “To Rid the Disease,” Damnation is a showcase of Opeth’s unique and innovative style, their creative boldness, and their ability to harness the sounds of the past without being derivative in the slightest. Fans of classic rock, especially prog rock, will most likely be pleasantly surprised that a modern band can pull off such an amazing feat of musicianship.

Recommended tracks: Hope Leaves, Windowpane, To Rid the Disease

31. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)

Edging away ever so slightly from the raw aggression and anger of The Downward Spiral and Broken, The Fragile represents Trent Reznor’s shift into new musical territory. Dark ambient and classical elements feature prominently in many tracks and the mood overall is softer, yet simultaneously darker than on previous releases. The orchestration of the album is intricate and, as the title suggests, Reznor is at his most emotionally vulnerable state of mind. This is the story of a desperate, broken individual searching for a glimmer of light in an ocean of darkness. On the haunting, dark epic “The Great Below,” for example, one can almost imagine this person floating lazily and aimlessly through a hell of their own creation while on “We’re In This Together Now,” he/she has found the resolve to persevere and fight the demons of their past. It is a deeply personal album and thus it is very intense, yet liberating at the same time. If there is one mood that ties together all of Reznor’s music in NIN, it is catharsis. On The Fragile, this catharsis doesn’t happen in the form of a volcanic eruption, but rather as an oozing of dark emotions into a netherworld of existence. Beauty and ugliness are forced to cohabit the same space on The Fragile and work out some sort of way to coexist harmoniously. Reznor's music is a mirror reflection of his persona and is written/recorded as a kind of psychological self-help guide. He explores the space between light and dark and ties the two worlds together. In short: It is a concept album in all but name and features a great deal of experimentation.Ffor these reasons, I would call it a perfect blend of industrial music and art rock as well as an excellent addition to any DTFer’s musical library.

Recommended tracks: The Great Below, The Day the World Went Away, We're In This Together, The Mark Has Been Made

30. Portishead - Dummy (1994)

One of trip-hop’s iconic albums, Portishead’s Dummy features sultry acid jazz beats and the soulful, pained vocals of frontwoman Beth Gibbons. This is the kind of album to listen to on a rainy day or on a long drive. It is melancholic and introspective, but extremely beautiful at the same time. Musically speaking, it is not quite as dark as Massive Attack’s Mezzanine but the lyrics are filled with an incredible amount of loss and betrayal which Gibbons’ haunting singing helps vivify. The album is simply enchanting and it is amazing how the band can harness the best elements of jazz, soul and electronica into a coherent and satisfying piece of art. If there is one word I can use to describe this masterpiece, it is “sexy.” Yet this isn’t the kind of gaudy sexuality one would find on a Madonna or Lady Gaga album. Rather, it is a reserved eroticism that comforts you in a very sensual way. Hope that wasn’t too graphic or anything but hopefully you’ll see what I mean once you give this baby a spin  ;)

Recommended tracks: Wandering Star, Roads, Sour Times, Glory Box

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 11:49:15 PM »
The Fragile.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »
damnation is great :D
I love beautiful things.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2012, 11:55:07 PM »
Glory Box may in fact be the sexiest song I've ever heard.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »
Great picks although I haven't heard the last one.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
Agalloch and Opeth! And as always, Ashes > Mantle.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
The Fragile is a really killer album.