Author Topic: Adace's Top 50 Albums  (Read 24887 times)

Offline adace

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2012, 02:58:09 AM »
you update your list reallly slow
Yeah, sorry about that. I have a lot on my plate at the moment and haven't found time to complete my write-ups in a consistent fashion. I'll try to get some more done ASAP  ;)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2012, 04:08:47 AM »
Another great choice right there
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2012, 06:19:14 AM »
Another great choice right there

Yup.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2012, 09:29:57 AM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's a great choice.  :biggrin:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »
Yeah, a Top 10 album of all time for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »
Meh, Portnoy growls too much on it.

Offline adace

« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2012, 02:40:17 AM »
13. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002)

This is what I consider to be Porcupine Tree’s breakthrough album. After years spent as an underground prog/psychedelic rock group, Steven Wilson and co. decided it was time to branch out and explore the richness the metal world had to offer. What is unique about Porcupine Tree’s take on prog metal, on this album and others, is not only the crisp production SW brings to the table, but also the perfect blend of art rock and pop. The mood of the music is much more atmospheric and introspective than most Dream Theater songs, for example, which create an exuberant mood in their technicality. However, that is not to say that technicality is absent on In Absentia. Legendary drummer Gavin Harrison’s intricate playing creates a stark contrast with the relative simplicity of the guitars and keyboards. It is a more focused and more expressive kind of technicality. It is one that packs such an incredible punch that I have deemed this album one of all-time favorite prog metal albums (FoaBP is almost as good but didn’t quite make my cut). As for the songs, my favorites include “Blackest Eyes” which was the first song by the band that I heard/liked. Its song structure and riffage have a distinct Tool-like feel which is what really attracted me to it in the first place. Those same Tool-like dynamics can be found in “Strip the Soul” which features a mean riff and an almost gothic atmosphere. Of course, there is also a great degree of variety on this album. “Trains,” for example, sounds like an updated Pink Floyd and is one of my favorite acoustic songs ever. I probably needn’t go on describing and rating this album any further since I’m sure you guys are already plenty familiar with it. In closing, I think that if there are any post-70’s progressive bands/albums that have made a valuable contribution to progressive music, Porcupine Tree and In Absentia unquestionably fit the bill.

Recommended tracks: Blackest Eyes, Trains, The Sound of Muzak, Strip the Soul

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »
13. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002)

My favourite PT record.  :tup
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:23:09 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adace

« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2012, 02:56:52 AM »
12. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

What more can be said about this album? To say it’s a classic is an understatement. Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best-selling albums of all time and is the one that shot Pink Floyd into the stratosphere. To say it is influential is another understatement. It has influenced countless bands and without it, some of our most beloved bands such as Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Riverside etc. would probably not exist. When I first heard this album and band, I thought it was overhyped and not terribly impressive. At that time, I had already gotten into a few prog bands such as Tool and The Mars Volta so I didn’t understand why these bands, and pretty much every other in the genre, were influeced by Pink Floyd and this album. Slowly though, the pieces began to come together. I remember being particularly impressed by David Gilmour’s rapturous guitar solos on “Comfortably Numb” and “High Hopes.” I then came to love David’s vocals and, after a long time, came to like, if not love, Roger’s vocals. After that, I came back numerous times to the most critically acclaimed album of their career. What hooked me into it was the wonderful bluesiness and lyrical potency of “Money.” It a short while following that when I began to appreciate and even revere the album in its entirety. The mysterious and almost otherworldy quality of songs like “Us and Them” and “Great Gig in the Sky” soon had me convinced that I was listening to a timeless masterpiece. But when I think about the album as I’m writing about it, one of the most memorable and captivating parts that comes to mind is the very end of “Time” when David sings “Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spells.” Even though one can only speculate as to that stanza’s deeper meaning, on a literal level it’s such a beautiful and vivid piece of imagery that it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it (though plenty of other moments on the album do that as well). It’s a testament to Roger as a lyrical prodigy and the fact that the band as a whole could set those lines and others to such incredibly moving music is a testament to their overall greatness. I dissect every moment of the album in this way but I’ll just stop here and tell you to recommend this album to everyone you know who hasn’t heard it yet. You and I both know they will not be disappointed even if it takes a while to sink in as it did in my case.

Recommended tracks: Every song
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:08:53 AM by adace »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2012, 03:12:31 AM »
Aaaaaand.... another great pick. Great to see some love for High Hopes, it's probably my favourite PF song atm.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2012, 03:34:50 AM »
Great picks!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2012, 04:02:27 AM »
Two fantastic albums.  :tup

Especially Dark side of the moon.  :heart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2012, 04:15:29 AM »
Well, yeah. That's 3 fantastic albums and all time favourites for me as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2012, 04:23:35 AM »
I always did have troubles getting in to PT, but In Absentia keeps popping up.  Maybe there's something to it???
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 09, 2012, 06:48:39 AM »
Both of those albums are amazing

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: June 09, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »
Gooood choices  :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
you update your list reallly slow

He moves at the speed of light compared to other people who have done top 50s.  :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
11. Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)

You’re probably thinking “Hmm, his avatar is the Opeth logo so he must be a huge Opeth fan. Why is Blackwater Park only at #11? Is he going to choose Ghost Reveries or Still Life or some other Opeth album as his #1?” Well, if you’re thinking along those lines, I’ll just come and say right now that you’re in for a surprise. But as the old saying goes, we’ll get to that bridge when we cross it. On to the matter at hand.
Whereas Opeth had already developed a cult following with their four previous albums, it was Blackwater Park that marked their ascension into metal stardom. The band brought in Steven Wilson to add his signature production style to the mix and as a result, the music gained additional layers of depth. It is not very easy to describe how the band progressed its music from Still Life, but it seems that they fine-tuned their songwriting skills to an even sharper degree. As on their other albums, the whole shines brilliantly. Mikael’s dark, romantic lyrics contribute greatly to the moody atmosphere of the music while his guitar riffs and growls add the punch that is characteristic of Opeth’s metal identity. The keyboards are haunting, the drums are phenomenal, and the bass is delicious. Blackwater Park has become a hallmark of progressive metal and has generated some of Opeth’s most popular songs such as “The Drapery Falls” and the title track. Of course, for those who are not accustomed to either progressive metal or death metal or both, becoming a casual Opeth fan can be a daunting challenge as it was for me when I first heard the album. However, it was my curiosity that had me listening time and again to the album as I could not understand why this album was so highly praised. After a while, it sunk in and I became the Opeth fan that I am today. That is the power of albums like this. They present themselves to you as a brick wall when you first come across them. After time though, they become soft as butter and you can really begin to understand and appreciate what’s going on in them. For the band to have made such a classic album is an extraordinary feat. But to have made a classic that spans two genres at once leaves them in a class on their own.To those of you who still can’t get into Opeth or this album, the only advice I have for you is to persist and keep listening. Being an Opeth fan is an amazing feeling and a reward unto itself.

Recommended tracks: The Drapery Falls, Harvest, title track, Bleak

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
If you followed my list, your last 4 albums where all in my top 10 top 5, apart from Dark Side of the Moon, which was at 11. Needless to say; good work  :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Ħ

« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
Awesome album. Still Life and Ghost Reveries are better, but still an amazing milestone in the world of prog metal.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »
Im such a fucked up person.
I couldnt really get into any opeth album fully except Damnation.

The only songs in Blackwater Park that i managed to get into are Harvest and The Drapery Falls
I love beautiful things.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »
Needs to be higher up IMO. ;)

:heart Blackwater Park, and I've been on an Opeth binge for about 2 months now (I'm a new fan this year too). :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
10. Opeth - Ghost Reveries (2005)

Honestly, I find it quite difficult to explain why I rank this album slightly higher than Blackwater Park. Both albums are stylistically quite similar and both contain some of Opeth’s strongest material. I suppose it just has to do with the fact that I found it easier to connect with this album and appreciate it in its entirety than I did with Blackwater Park. Songs like “The Leper Affinity” and “Dirge for November” didn’t really click with me for a long time whereas every song on Ghost Reveries clicked relatively quickly and more fully than the songs on Blackwater Park. That said, this is a spectacular album from start to finish. From the menacing undertones of “The Grand Conjuration” to the haunting beauty of “Isolation Years” and “Hours of Wealth,” this album is an emotional journey from the deepest depths of hell to the most serene height of Paradise. Additionally, the album contains one of my top five Opeth songs: the monster track “Reverie/Harlequin Forest” which grips you from the second it starts and refuses to let go. I see this album along with Blackwater Park and Deliverance as the pinnacle of Opeth’s career and some of the best modern metal in existence. Like those albums, Ghost Reveries strikes a fine balance between appealing to the death metal base and appealing to potential newcomers to the band/genre. Opeth is truly a gateway band as countless other prog fans can attest to. As I said in my last writeup, if you or people you know have trouble getting into death metal then this is the band to listen to. If you or they still have trouble appreciating death metal after hearing the majestic music of Opeth, then you should at least respect the band for that seemingly unlimited ambition and mastery of the musical craft.

Recommended tracks: every song

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »
 :tup
But it's not better than Blackwater Park.
Squ

Offline adace

« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2012, 01:07:56 AM »
Forgot to mention in my review that Ghost Reveries has one of my all-time favorite album covers. It's just gorgeous.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2012, 01:36:25 AM »
That is does.  :tup

Offline adace

« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2012, 03:17:11 AM »
Well, I was about to do my writeups for #s 8 and 9 when I realized that I had already done them on Helium a long time ago. So here you go, copy and pasted from Helium:

9. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue

With the death of the former vocalist for Alice In Chains, Layne Staley, the future of grunge rock seemed to be in a sort of permanent limbo. Nirvana, founding fathers of grunge and patriarchs to the Generation X social movement had evaporated from the scene with one fatal pull of the trigger. Soundgarden met its untimely demise at the peak of its career with few bands left to carry the torch of grunge into the next millenium.

The phoenix arose from the ashes in September of 2009. "Black Gives Way To Blue" gives so much while asking so little. Recently hired vocalist William DuVall makes a conscious attempt to tread lightly in the shadows of his predecessor  with a soaring, yet melancholy texture that permeates the album and fills one with both longing nostalgia and an air of vindication. Another one of the great gambles in music history has paid off and I, for one, am bewildered by the sheer professionalism as well as stunning audacity contained all at once in this once-in-a generation magnum opus.

With pummeling riffs and almost highly personalized lyrics, the first single "A Looking in View" provides a choice example of the carefully crafted balance Alice in Chains has struck through the entirety of their latest offering. Dark beauty and headbang-worthy melodies; Climax and nadir, this first glimpse of the new record, in much the same way as the first official single, "Check My Brain" sends the listener on a sonic roller-coaster through unexplored extremes.

Beautiful gems like "Your Decision" or the title track immediately sends our thoughts racing back to the old heyday of the band in which they produced such acoustic flavored pleasantries as "No Excuses" or "I Stay Away". In their new heyday, Alice in Chains have reclaimed their title to the throne of musical deal-making. While verging into radio-friendly territory, DuVall and co. keep a soft spot for their old fanbase with alienation being an almost impossibility.

Each member of the band delivers the goods and then some. Guitarist Jerry Cantrell, per custom, delivers instantly memorable riffs along with solos that time and again seem to stand miles above the competitors. Sean Kinney on drums does nothing to muddy the textures of the latter figure and delivers an efficient and professional rendition. Mike Inez, though not offering anything that could rival the mesmerizing bass overture to "Would?" still supplies the average headphone-user with a hardy assortment of ear candy and gratifying textural layering. DuVall, of course, though unable to actually replace Mr.Staley in any fashion, proves his meddle with passionate vocals that synchronize like wood and glue with those of Mr. Cantrell and ultimately provides the best incentive for taking any interest in the first place with the new offering.

Would this record actually win "Album of the Year" from the Hollywood record execs? Probably not. But, as fans, we (myself included) can bank on the potential of this band to re-cement their place in the great annals of music fame whether the MTV crowd chooses to wake up and smell the coffee or not. Without delving too far into a tangent, "Black Gives Way To Blue" is worth every penny and represents perhaps one of the finest examples of "art for art's sake" with a thoroughly organic yet polished sound. The themes of spiritual growth and loss/redemption running throughout the album speak not only to humanity's existential struggles but also the state of the band itself.The legend may have passed on but the legacy continues.

Recommended tracks: A Looking in View, Acid Bubble, Private Hell, Last of My Kind

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:47 AM »
I don't really agree that it's that good, but it was an awesome comeback album and one of my own favourites for 2009. Nice.
Squ

Offline adace

« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:24 AM »
8. Tool - Lateralus (2001)

This write up is way too long to post here, so I'm gonna link you to my review on Helium. Hope you don't mind.
https://www.helium.com/items/1720943-toollateralusprogressivemetal2001maynarddanny-careyschismparabolaexperimental

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2012, 06:04:24 AM »
Lateralus  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »
Meh. I don't like it that much.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
I haven't listened to a lot of Tool but I'll work on it. Same for that Alice in chains album, although I've heard Lesson learned and Check my brain and I loved them.  :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
Just one amazing album after another.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2012, 03:26:52 AM »
So, any updates coming?
Squ

Offline adace

« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
So, any updates coming?
Yeah, there's one (possibly two) coming today. Sorry for the delay.