Author Topic: Adace's Top 50 Albums  (Read 25073 times)

Offline adace

Adace's Top 50 Albums
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
Hey, guys! I’d like to start off by thanking you all for being interested in my picks and I hope my list is interesting/different enough from other lists to hold your attention. After much careful thought and countless sleepless nights painstakingly combing through my Itunes ( ;D), I came up with my top 50 favorite albums ever. I really aimed for variety in my list so with a few exceptions, I will not be listing more than one album from the same band. Except for numbers 1-10, the ordering is fairly interchangeable. Anyways, thanks again and enjoy! (P.S. Round 2 will be coming eventually. Still too many great albums that were left off the top 50).

50. Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe (2008)

This is Scar Symmetry’s third album and their last featuring one of the best death metal vocalists of all time, Christian Alvestam. First a little info on the band and their general style: There is no other extreme vocalist out there, save Mikael Akerfeldt, who is able to both give me sheer goosebumps with his clean vocals and fill me with awe at the evil and brutality of his growls. This band is certainly the most accessible death metal band I’ve ever heard. In fact, the first time I heard them, I recoiled at their poppish tendencies. Shortly after that though, I began to appreciate them as innovators in their genre and simply one of the best melodeath bands around..
They have an amazing knack for mixing clean, melodic playing with headbangable metal riffs and drumming all with a progressive twist in terms of occasional odd time signatures. Their production is also top-notch and really adds to the enjoyment of this masterpiece.
All that said, this album is by far their best work in that it combines all these elements into a thoroughly enjoyable package. The lyrics are quite thought-provoking with an interesting blend of sci-fi and philosophy. Per their usual, the choruses are instantly catchy, the riffs are heavy and catchy as well, and the solos are superb. On the whole, this album is a significant step up from both of their previous albums and their two subsequent ones. Compared to more familiar standards in the genre such as Children of Bodom’s “Are You Dead Yet?” and In Flames’ “The Jester Race”, “Holographic Universe” is an often overlooked gem of an album that not only rivals those albums but, in my opinion, bests them. Maybe if Alverstam was invited back into the band then Scar Symmetry could repeat the greatness that is this album but for the time being, check out this unrivalled masterpiece of melodeath if you haven’t already.

Recommended tracks: Morphogenesis, Timewave Zero, Ghost Prototype II, Quantumleaper

49. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)

If there was a single phrase to sum up this band’s sound, it would be “Pink Floyd gone pop.” Of course they are a lot more eccentric than Pink Floyd (at least 70’s and later Pink Floyd) with numerous folk and electronic influences, but I still get the same sense of adventurism and psychedelia with their music. Add to that the fact that covered all of “Dark Side of the Moon” and it’s pretty obvious who they are most musically indebted to.
“Yoshimi” is a concept album about a girl dying of cancer and naturally features themes of death and transcendence in its lyrics. Overall, the album has a very quirky and eccentric feel to it but it’s absolutely beautiful at the same time. Wayne Coyne’s vocals have this amazingly pained yet ethereal quality about them which I can’t imagine The Flaming Lips being without. Point in case is “Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell” where his vocal delivery is positively hypnotic. Other highlights include “Do You Realize?” which is, as you might know, their most famous song, as well as the beautiful electronic-folk ballad “It’s Summertime.” What this album and band do best is blend the genres of alternative rock, prog rock, space rock, folk, electronic and psychedelia into an amazing, polished product. If you are a fan of any of those genres, then this album should be right up your alley.

Recommended tracks: Do You Realize?, It’s Summertime, Ego Tripping, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1

48. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000)

Here we have the best rap-metal/nu-metal album of all time. Sure the guitar playing, drumming and lyrics are extremely simplistic compared to RATM for example. And sure I dislike rap as much as most metal fans but for me, Linkin Park is the best band in the genre. They do rap right.
What is the single most impressive element this band has to offer? By far, Chester Bennington’s fantastic vocal abilities. Whether it’s screaming or clean singing, this man can really deliver. Mike Shinoda’s rap parts are also tasteful and blend well with the music and I have no problem rap-dancing along to them (only time you’ll find me doing that). Also, I really admire Joe Hahn as a turntablist/keyboardist on the record since not only does he not overdo the whole record scratching thing, but he really adds to their sound on such tracks as Points of Authority and With You.
I absolutely do not consider this album a “guilty pleasure” even though it falls well outside the genres of the other albums on this list and even though nu-metal has been much maligned. Instead, I consider it thoroughly enjoyable, unforgettable and a staple of the genre. Maybe it didn’t make me an actual rap fan but “Hybrid Theory” showed me that rap definitely has its place in metal and at least deserves our respect if not affection (except gangsta rap, no respect for that at all).

Recommended tracks: Papercut, Points of Authority, Pushing Me Away

Kosmo

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
I love Scar Symmetry and especially that album.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is probably one of the coolest album names ever so I'll definitely check them out, the description sparked my interest too.

Never really cared for Linkin Park but I've got nothing against them.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
Only one album per band? That's going to be interesting.

I really have to get into Scar Symmetry, read good stuff about them. The Flaming Lips I know only by name and Linkin Park was one of my favourite bands when I was 10. Nice start, I'll most likely follow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
 :tup Hybrid Theory, one of my early favourites and still an absolute classic and a great and thoroughly consistent album. Agree with what you've written (especially Chester Bennington).

Don't know The Flaming Lips and have only heard a little of Scar Symmetry.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 02:44:57 PM »
Cool start, don't really know The Flaming Lips, but the other two are solid albums!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
Cool start, don't really know The Flaming Lips, but the other two are solid albums!

Cool start indeed.

Kosmo

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Okay, just finished listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and it's pretty freaking fantastic.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »
Blackwater Park/Still Life is going to be your number one, am i right?

also, you wrote:
"There is no other extreme vocalist out there, save Mikael Akerfeldt, who is able to both give me sheer goosebumps with his clean vocals and fill me with awe at the evil and brutality of his growls."

WHATS ABOUT DEVIN TOWNSEND???
I love beautiful things.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
I don't mind the Flaming Lips, but have found them to be a little too electronic for my taste.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
I can't speak for adace but Devin doesn't sound all that 'evil' to me.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
listen to his SYL stuff.
I love beautiful things.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
listen to his SYL stuff.
I have.

Offline adace

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
Blackwater Park/Still Life is going to be your number one, am i right?

also, you wrote:
"There is no other extreme vocalist out there, save Mikael Akerfeldt, who is able to both give me sheer goosebumps with his clean vocals and fill me with awe at the evil and brutality of his growls."

WHATS ABOUT DEVIN TOWNSEND???
On your first point, you'll just have to wait and see  ;)
On your second point, I love Devin for his clean vocals and while his screaming/extreme vocals is great, Christian and Mikael have him far outmatched in that regard.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 06:08:27 PM »
Already looking forward to this list; I'm sure it'll be amazing. You have an awesome taste.

Offline adace

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
Already looking forward to this list; I'm sure it'll be amazing. You have an awesome taste.
Thanks! I appreciate that  :smiley: Your list had a ton of awesome stuff on it btw.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Holographic Universe is absolutely stellar, great to see it here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 07:37:32 PM »
Following.

Based on this update, it looks like your tastes are all over the grid. Never a bad thing.  :tup

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »
Great call on Yoshimi.   :tup

Flaming Lips has proven to be a favorite among the alt/indie/rock-that-is-not-bluesy-prog-or-metal bands I've been binging on lately. 

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 08:17:31 PM »
I haven't heard the first two but i have heard hybrid theory many years ago. I'll be following :tup

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 09:20:10 PM »
Listening to Holographic Universe now.

Wow.  This is much, much better than Dark Matter Dimensions.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
Listening to Holographic Universe now.

Wow.  This is much, much better than Dark Matter Dimensions.

I was let down so much by DMD, mainly because HU was so damn good.  I've grown to like it a lot, but it's not in the same league as HU.

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »
DMD was my introduction to the band, so I kinda wrote them off with that.

But I might need to listen to their earlier stuff more...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »
HU is the best of the bunch, but others argue that Pitch Black Progress is SS at their best.  Their debut is worth a listen too, as is their latest album.  DMD is probably the worst place to start with SS. 

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
HU is the best of the bunch, but others argue that Pitch Black Progress is SS at their best.  Their debut is worth a listen too, as is their latest album.  DMD is probably the worst place to start with SS.
:lol
Figures.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »
True, but I wrote it off just because Christian left and the two new singers were not a match for him, but given time I've grown to appreciate it, and it's pretty damn good.  Check out their earlier albums and then come back to DMD, you'll probably find you will appreciate more too.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
:lol
Figures.

Well, I started there by accident and what ended up happening is I don't have the dislike for that album that others have...but Holographic Universe is definately the best them.

Offline adace

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
47. Devin Townsend - Ghost (2011)

This is Hevy Devy at his most emotionally honest and relaxed frame of mind. Eschewing the heavy guitars and bombastic vocals which are his trademark style, Townsend veers well off the beaten path to create a beautiful, ambient-tinged masterpiece. Of course he has made soft, acoustic songs on previous albums but this is his most focused effort to date in that musical niche. Perhaps the only thing that sounds similar between Ghost and other albums is the epic production that almost smothers the listener in sonic bliss.
Townsend is also known as a master of weaving together disparate genres into a satisfying musical experience and this is no less true on Ghost. Ambient, atmospheric rock is mixed with the gentle sounds of folk in the use of a flute on songs such as “Fly” and there’s even a bit of country on “Blackberry.” This album gives off multiple vibes including delicacy, refinement, fragility and open-heartedness. What really helps build those vibes is Townsend’s voice.
On this album, Townsend proves he is one of the best vocalists in the progressive world or any other musical genre for that matter. His voice flows with the music like a river gently flowing towards some far-off, unknown destination. Townsend proves he is an expert at adapting his voice to the requirements of the music and it is this versatility which is the selling point for me. Perhaps the closest equivalent to this album would be David Gilmour’s “On an Island.” Beyond that, Ghost is a truly unique and beautiful album that deserves to be heard by both Townsend fans and non-Townsend fans alike.

Recommended tracks: Kawaii, Feather, As You Were, Heart Baby

46. Cynic - Traced in Air (2008)

This album is one of the most mature offerings from the death metal genre and the best Cynic album to date. I like Focus very much but it’s the crisp, modern production on Traced In Air that really brings the music to life and makes for a more enjoyable experience. Paul Masvidal’s cosmic philosophy features prominently not only in the beautiful lyrics but in the music itself.
Ethereal, jazz-fusion melodies turn on a dime into heavy, technical riffing yet Paul’s vocoder-filtered vocals are present throughout and make for a interesting contrast. There’s something symbolic about Cynic’s style in that it seems like they try to unite opposites (clean and harsh) into a single entity by moving seamlessly between them. This album and jazz in general are emotionally charged, yet the emotions they portray are ambiguous. It’s almost like Cynic is trying to occupy some sort of space between the unknown and the known. At least that’s how I view the philosophical side of the music. Anways, if you are a fan of technical death metal but also appreciate the beauty of jazz fusion artists such as Allan Holdsworth, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report then I highly recommend this album to you.

Recommended tracks: Adam’s Murmur, Integral Birth, Evolutionary Sleeper

45. The Sword - Age of Winters (2006)

As far as stoner rock goes, one would be hard-pressed to find a more headbangable piece of metallic ear-candy than this album. This album is chock full of heavy-as-lead, bluesy goodness and is stylistically a huge and well-deserved homage to legendary classic bands such as Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and especially Black Sabbath. The riffs and solos strike a perfect balance between heaviness and melody while the drumming is absolutely ferocious. As is often the case in stoner rock, the lyrics are quite psychedelic in nature as they speak about mythology/fantasy and that adds a cool and very appropriate twist to the music. Clearly, this is a band that knows what they’re doing and are not just downtuning their guitars purely for the sake of being heavy. If there’s one minor criticism I have, it would be that the vocals are a bit too low in mix (a problem that wouldn’t be remedied until Warp Riders) but that is almost a non-issue compared to the astounding level of musicianship and potential for headbanging found on this record. Here, The Sword prove their metal worth and provide one of the greatest contributions to the stoner-rock and doom metal genres of all time.

Recommended tracks: Freya, Winter’s Wolves, Iron Swan

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »
Traced in Air  :metal :metal :metal

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 10:38:35 PM »
Nice update.

Devy, Cynic and the Sword!  :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 10:47:19 PM »
I just can't get into Ghost.  It's just not my thing, particularly right now.  Easily my least favorite Devin album I own, and that includes Physicist and Punky Brewster - but not The Hummer.

Can't argue with Traced In Air though.

Kosmo

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 10:53:32 PM »
Ghost is my absolute favorite Devin album so I'm going to shake my fist at your general direction in anger because it's too low on the list.

That Cynic album is pretty cool, and I haven't heard the last one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 10:56:12 PM »
I just can't get into Ghost.  It's just not my thing, particularly right now.  Easily my least favorite Devin album I own, and that includes Physicist and Punky Brewster - but not The Hummer.

Can't argue with Traced In Air though.

Yeah, I can't get into Ghost either, never did anything for me except put me to sleep.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:32 AM »
Ghost is really beautiful and soothing.  :heart

Offline Mladen

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 05:53:54 AM »
Traced in air is pretty good.  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 08:51:53 AM »
Ghost is really beautiful and soothing.  :heart
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.