Author Topic: [Music] Awaken - Awaken  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Awaken - Awaken
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
Album: Awaken
Year: 2011
Genre: Melodic Metal
Listen Now: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialAwaken

As metal continues to evolve in a variety of directions, often overlooked is a vein of more melodic and traditional metal that lives on stellar riffs and soaring vocals. Awaken is an American band that is building on some of the best foundational elements metal has to offer, and they are one of metal’s biggest hidden gems right now.

Vocalist and composer Glenn DaGrossa formed the band out of the ashes of Lazarus, a band which released a single EP with stunning potential. Awaken proves that many years later, Glenn is still at the top of his game, and while he provides fantastic vocals for the record, the top strength of the album lies in Glenn’s songwriting. I’d challenge any metal fan to listen to this album and not get drawn in by the hooks that taken hold song after song. In an alternate universe I could easily have seen Queensryche writing this album after Operation: Mindcrime, and the similarities between the two bands can be heard during the main riff of “Bones to Dust”, which sounds very similar to the primary riff of Mindcrime’s title track.

While guitar solos are certainly present on the disc, and many are fantastic, one should not approach this album expecting any extreme technical wizardry from anyone. All the parts simply seem to fit together in a manner that, after every track, makes me think, “wow, that was a great song”. Throughout the disc I find a few parts which I’m not particularly fond of, but they are not numerous and they don’t appear in any single track in a large enough number for any of the tracks to go down as bad.

The band is currently searching for a label to give Awaken a proper release, but in the meanwhile they remain one of America’s best unsigned bands. For now anyone who wishes to hear the album can do so freely on the band’s facebook page, and I urge everyone to show some support for a very deserving band.

Nick’s Rating: 9.5/10
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

Re: [Music] Awaken - Awaken
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
I enjoyed what I heard from the show last week, and will definitely check out the rest of the album.

Thanks!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
Yeah, it was pretty good.  I found Beneath The Surface to be a little repetitive, and they could've done more with that song. Found them on MySpace too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline drumguy32

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Thanks for the great write up, Nick!
I've been a member of DTF for quite a few years - I'm the drummer in Awaken - I had no idea there was a review of the cd here!!
Cheers, and thanks again.  :metal

Nick (my name too)