Author Topic: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"  (Read 114227 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
"I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2012/05/08/politics/north-carolina-marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

What the flying fuck does that statement mean?

The part of the Constitution will now be played by the Bible

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: "I'm Not Anti-Gay, I'm Pro-Marriage"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
Pro-marriage? Fine, make divorce illegal. No cherry picking allowed if you're going to be that vigilant about it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »
It means they don't hate gay people, but they don't want them to have the same rights they do either because the bible said so or they think marriage is some unchanging concept when it never has been.

Congratulations NC. You managed to strip rights away from both homosexuals and heterosexuals, all in the name of forcing religious beliefs down the throats of others. Constitutions should preserve, protect, and grant rights to individuals, not take them away. I'm so disappointed and angry at my state and 60% of the people in it. 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
The last time North Carolina amended their constitution on marriage it was to ban interracial marriage.

:facepalm:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
Pro-marriage? Fine, make divorce illegal. No cherry picking allowed if you're going to be that vigilant about it.
Ya know, that's actually a damn good point.  None of these "sanctity of marriage!" assholes really seems to care at all about divorce. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
I've lived in North Carolina for six or seven years. I've never seen so many people talking about the same thing at once. Seems like most people in the Research Triangle are pissed. I'm pissed.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Omega

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
A refreshing glimmer of sanity in the darkening abyss of the ever-more secularized and increasingly relativist United States of America.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
A refreshing glimmer of sanity in the darkening abyss of the ever-more secularized and increasingly relativist United States of America.

The law is supposed to be secularized.

This isn't sanity.  It's fucking bigotry.  Plain and simple.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:51:06 PM »

Because gay marriage is totally dominating the rest of the country.

Also your mindset is exactly why I hate religious conservatives

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:52:22 PM »
Ya know, that's actually a damn good point.  None of these "sanctity of marriage!" assholes really seems to care at all about divorce.

Before this thread turns into 9 pages about cartoonaphobes or whatever, let me just say that I actually support the idea of divorce becoming a difficult thing to get. The whole "irreconcilable differences" thing is just horrible. Obviously if a marriage is abusive, or harmful or something, then yea. But when people can get divorced for any reason what soever it actually makes the concept of marriage (till death do us part) pretty null and void.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
Well, this is silly.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »

Before this thread turns into 9 pages about cartoonaphobes or whatever, let me just say that I actually support the idea of divorce becoming a difficult thing to get. The whole "irreconcilable differences" thing is just horrible. Obviously if a marriage is abusive, or harmful or something, then yea. But when people can get divorced for any reason what soever it actually makes the concept of marriage (till death do us part) pretty null and void.

in the last month I've had four friends divorce.  very disturbing indeed

Offline Omega

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
The institution of marriage isn't some petty, meaningless, nonchalant "right"; it is an enormous act of privilege and responsibility tasked with the most important of goals: the procreation and raising of new, productive members of society. Marriage doesn't exist merely so that Bob and Steve can play House together in their forties. And if you think otherwise, then you've either misunderstood the gravity, pertinence and seriousness of the institution of marriage or are willfully and disingenuously insisting on a baseless "redefinition" of "marriage."
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 09:17:45 PM »
You can procreate and raise productive members of society without being married.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
Grand speech, Omega. Rings kinda hollow in the light of the high divorce rate. So, pick a number in the line of religious preachers whose own people fail at those teachings.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
The institution of marriage isn't some petty, meaningless, nonchalant "right"; it is an enormous act of privilege and responsibility tasked with the most important of goals: the procreation and raising of new, productive members of society. Marriage doesn't exist merely so that Bob and Steve can play House together in their forties. And if you think otherwise, then you've either misunderstood the gravity, pertinence and seriousness of the institution of marriage or are willfully and disingenuously insisting on a baseless "redefinition" of "marriage."

My devoutly Christian grandfather got remarried in his 80s after my grandmother died.  I'll tell him that he doesn't understand the purpose of the institution.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
So what if a gay couple raises an adopted child that was abandoned by a straight married couple to be a productive member of society?

Offline Omega

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »
You can procreate and raise productive members of society without being married.

And how are we, then, to oversee the obligations attendent upon procreation from a socio-economic view if the necessity of marriage is annulled?

Offline Omega

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:51 PM »
Inb4 the "WOW OMEGA, wut about divorce?! Poof! Just destroyd all your comments!"

Offline TL

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:41 PM »
Because straight people always treat marriage with respect and seriousness, and apparently gay people are incapable of that.

Seriously though, banning gay marriage is a bigoted position. End of discussion. You can try to justify your stance all you want, but it's discrimination, and it's absolutely disgusting.

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »

And how are we, then, to oversee the obligations attendent upon procreation from a socio-economic view if the necessity of marriage is annulled?
You can't. Simple.

Offline Omega

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
Grand speech, Omega. Rings kinda hollow in the light of the high divorce rate. So, pick a number in the line of religious preachers whose own people fail at those teachings.

rumborak

P1. Marriage is an institution tasked with overseeing the obligations attendant upon procreation from a socio-economic view
P2. Divorce

C: Therefore, screw marriage.

Offline Omega

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
Because straight people always treat marriage with respect and seriousness, and apparently gay people are incapable of that.

Seriously though, banning gay marriage is a bigoted position. End of discussion. You can try to justify your stance all you want, but it's discrimination, and it's absolutely disgusting.

"Discrimination!" "Bigot!" "End of discussion!"

Yes, I'm a backwards, bigoted hillbilly, apparently.

Offline TL

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »

"Discrimination!" "Bigot!" "End of discussion!"

Yes, I'm a backwards, bigoted hillbilly, apparently.
You're in favor of denying rights to a group of people based on a trait they don't control. What would you care to call it?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
@Omega: Shouldn't your divinely ordained morals provide at least some benefit in this matter?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
and it's absolutely disgusting.
I've said this many times to myself in my scripture class where the teacher calls gay marriage disgusting. I think the hate towards it and homosexuals themselves from 'loving and accepting' Christians is more disgusting.

Why is it that us Christians (supposedly I'm not Christian because I don't believe in banning gay marriage) just can't let other people be and mind our own business. If it's one thing I have found, too many Christians are focused on others and their sins and not paying enough attention to their own hate and their own sins. Essentially, too concerned outwardly and not concerned inwardly.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Omega

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
You're in favor of denying rights to a group of people based on a trait they don't control. What would you care to call it?

As I've written extensively on, one cannot deny the "right" for same-sex people to "marry" because "marriage" between two people of the same sex is a logical absurdity. One cannot pass a law to repeal gravity any more than one can pass a law to "allow" same-sex "marriages."

Offline Omega

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »
@Omega: Shouldn't your divinely ordained morals provide at least some benefit in this matter?

rumborak

How so?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:29 PM »

As I've written extensively on, one cannot deny the "right" for same-sex people to "marry" because "marriage" between to people of the same sex is a logical absurdity.
I'm sorry... what???? Logical absurdity....? How so?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:15 PM »

rumborak

And who later get caught in airport bathrooms having "encounters."

Inb4 the "WOW OMEGA, wut about divorce?! Poof! Just destroyd all your comments!"

Actually I think you'll find your post was in after several such responses.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Omega

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »

As I've written extensively on, one cannot deny the "right" for same-sex people to "marry" because "marriage" between to people of the same sex is a logical absurdity.
I'm sorry... what???? Logical absurdity....? How so?

Check the recently-elected-to-be-closed homosexuality thread. I'm not in the mood for writing essays tonight.

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »

As I've written extensively on, one cannot deny the "right" for same-sex people to "marry" because "marriage" between two people of the same sex is a logical absurdity. One cannot pass a law to repeal gravity any more than one can pass a law to "allow" same-sex "marriages."
The only "logical absurdities" are the ones occurring in your posts.

Offline TL

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:11 PM »

As I've written extensively on, one cannot deny the "right" for same-sex people to "marry" because "marriage" between to people of the same sex is a logical absurdity. One cannot pass a law to repeal gravity any more than one can pass a law to "allow" same-sex "marriages."
So if two straight people get married, but decide to never have children, and follow through with that decision for their entire lives, is that a 'logical absurdity'?

Also, most western governments provide spousal benefits, and as such, marriage, even just in the legal sense, is about more than regulating procreation.

Offline Omega

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
The only "logical absurdities" are the ones occurring in your posts.

:blush  :'(

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »
It's true. :)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: