Author Topic: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. If I could start again...  (Read 56516 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. Hair
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
Hell yeah, one of my favorite covers ever.

I think you might like Assemblage 23.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2012, 12:46:25 PM »
except the opeth album, i dont know any of the albums you listed
I love beautiful things.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
Moar.

29. (1987) Siouxsie and the Banshees - Tinderbox

One of the most important post-punk/Goth bands of the 80s, this is Siouxsie and the Banshees’ masterwork as far as I’m concerned: a competent and cohesive exercise in their post-punk origins while exploring experimental howls and jagged soundscapes. The voice of female vocalist Siouxsie Sioux is like an opera singer who escaped from a mental institution, displaying her maniacal range of deep murmuring to ear-shattering highs of blistering volume. The guitars and rhythm are scathing and dry, providing a vicious backbone for her lyrics about pedophiles, lust for a ghost, the end of the world, and entropy in society. The album as a whole can often be overwhelming in its chaotic elegance, never once letting the listener come up for air even in its calmest moments.

Recommended tracks: Cities in Dust, The Sweetest Chill, Lullaby

28. (1993) Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

Somewhere between the most mournful of Gothic laments and the quirkiest sense of humor lies Type O Negative, especially their 1993 masterpiece Bloody Kisses. The intro, Machine Screw, which is about exactly what you think it’s about, gives way to the haunting choir keys of Christian Women, a Goth rock powerhouse colored in with fuzzy guitars and bass, and the balance between miserable and odd humor is consistent throughout the recording. Bassist and vocalist Peter Steele adds an incredible personality to Bloody Kisses, hitting notes so low you’ll swear it’s the devil himself singing them. The sexualized musings of Black No. 1 and the aforementioned Christian Woman are presented with a dark whit and charm unheard of. Kill All the White People and We Hate Everyone provide interludes in the doom and gloom, allowing punk rock influences to shine through in overwhelming hilarity and irony. The accentuation given to the musicianship is one of TON’s many signature sounds, shrouding it all in thick dirge. Anyone who likes Goth, metal, punk, or values their existence needs to hear this album.

Recommended tracks: Christian Woman, We Hate Everyone, Bloody Kisses (A Death in the Family)

27. (2001) Sarah Fimm - A Perfect Dream

Well, here’s an artist no one expected. Sarah Fimm’s second album, A Perfect Dream, is a dreary journey of mellow, ethereal piano work atop compositions that range from pounding drums to vague trip-hop touches to noir-tinged jazz orchestrations. Her voice is somber and soft, with a touch of age to give it a unique character. Tracks like Wrong side Up and Virus are impressive displays of her versatility as a vocalist, sounding deranged and frantic or exhausted and weary. Spit Trap Ghetto is a fast-paced jazz number straight out of the 20s about prostitution and the ghetto, or something like that. In the Red is equally jazzy but in a different context—much more mysterious and slow, like part of the soundtrack to an old crime film. Lioness is primitively sexual with tribal drums to boot, and unapologetic in the obvious metaphors she speaks of. The production of the album sheathes it in a very rich, subdued coherence, like the soundtrack to a desolate city or a grungy neighborhood.

Recommended tracks: Virus, Spit Trap Ghetto, In the Red

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2012, 01:22:53 AM »
Great to see Sarah Fimm! I must admit that many of the others are new to me.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2012, 01:52:30 AM »
Great to see Sarah Fimm! I must admit that many of the others are new to me.
This, loving the write ups though.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2012, 03:37:20 AM »
A Perfect Dream is an amazing album.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »
Zander slow down!! I don't have enough time to listen to all of this
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2012, 07:59:23 AM »
mmmmmm Bloody Kisses
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »
Dude Christian Woman used to be my jammy jam!  :metal

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:21 AM »
Always great to see Sarah Fimm and TON love! No love for Siouxsie, but I expected that.

Here's my update for tonight:

26. (1980) Gary Numan – Telekon

Loathed by the critics, loved by his fans, for better or worse, Gary Numan was/is the pioneer of electronic music, providing the blueprint for future electronic, new wave, industrial, and gothic bands to come. There’s a good chance some of the bands you whippersnappers listen to were influenced by him in some way. His 3rd album, 1980’s Telekon, is an examination of himself in the midst of the massive success he was enjoying at the time, feeling panic and disillusion with his fame and the overwhelming adoration of his fans, often resenting their stark-raving mad love for him and his music—Remind Me to Smile being an example of this. Remember I was Vapour is a mellow, offbeat synth-piano companion setting the stage for Numan’s please for everyone watching him to understand that he’s just like them. Please Push No More is him begging his fans, his record company, and himself to give him a moment’s rest and a break from the pressures of being in the public eye. Numan’s voice, while not remarkably versatile or even that great, is very unnerving in its alien-like expressions, providing a creepy undertone to the dense walls of synthesizers and pianos filling each song.

This album, along with The Pleasure Principle and Replicas, are the foundations of both Gary Numan’s career and the every angle and sub-genre of electronica.

Recommended tracks: Telekon, Remind Me To Smile, Remember I Was Vapour

25. (1999) Opeth – Still Life

My favorite Opeth album. Still Life is a logical continuation of 1998’s My Arms, Your Hearse, providing a hint at what was to come for the rest of their career. From the eerie intro of The Moor to the somber fadeout of White cluster, for 62 minutes and 7 songs, Still Life consumes me. The contrasting dynamics of crushing scorching death metal and bone-chilling folk are still present, but they are much more refined, seemingly more concrete and confident in the way their compositions are molded. Akerfeldt’s marriage of brutality and beauty in his voice is streaked with unfettered grief and anger, setting the perfect tone for the narrator’s story—a man returning to the town he was exiled from 15 years ago to retrieve his long lost lover.

The entire atmosphere of the album—lyrics, music, and acoustics—has much more in common with elegant, age-old gothic literature than clichéd by-the-numbers prog metal. While Opeth is not what is typically labeled melodic death metal, most of what often is associated with that genre just seems to be melodic metal with harsh vocals and nothing more. Opeth seem to fit the description better, flawlessly combining the two with a masterful onslaught of true ruthlessness: emotionally and musically, never sacrificing heaviness for melody or melody for heaviness. The styles are welded so seamlessly that any separation would only serve to hurt the album, and the band in general, more. While naysayers like to insist that Opeth’s music would sound much better without the growling, it will forever be an extremely critical component in their albums, and most of all, Still Life.

Recommended tracks: The Moor, Godhead's Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo

24. (1990) Depeche Mode – Violator

Another band I rave on about, and another band that has had a massive impact on electronic music, whether you like it or not. Violator was Depeche Mode’s huge breakout worldwide, most notably in the USA. While past albums remained focused on synthesizers and Euro-alt dancepop, moody and dark lyrics intact, Violator was a major step in their evolution as musicians, suiting up with brooding guitar lines, crystal-clear electronics, and murky, foreboding synths, all atop Dave Gahan’s deep dirty voice and primary songwriter Martin Gore’s angelic falsetto.

Lyrical themes, while still in typical dark DM fashion, feature a slight deviation, exploring drug addiction and nihilism, as well as the obligatory misanthropy and sexual fetishes. The flawless production allows every instrument, every vocal, every lyric, every hiss, bump, and screech to be heard with remarkable clarity. Personal Jesus features a Western blues guitar riff alongside pounding synth bass and sweeping keys, parodying teve-evangelism in the lyrics. World in My eyes, the absolute epitome of alternative dance, and Blue Dress are darkly sexual and pervy, a vague hint to closet fetishes Gore has never publicly admitted. Waiting for the Night is a metaphorical lament of reality and longing for dreams to take over, and with delicate, distant keys shimmering like the stars above. And who could forget Enjoy the Silence? Elegant, simple, and irresistibly catchy, it’s the Mode’s #1 hit, seamlessly mixing anthem-like guitar chords with jumpy synths as Gahan sings love lyrics dipped in extreme insecurity.

While this is not my favorite Depeche Mode album, it is undeniably their most important statement as artists. The mainstream success of Violator exposed a need for people all over the world to indulge in music that was not only catchy, but also dramatic, brooding, scary, and wittingly dark. And if anyone has the slightest inclination to listen to Depeche Mode after this description, Violator is the perfect starting point.

Recommended tracks: Personal Jesus, Halo, Enjoy the Silence

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2012, 06:05:26 AM »
I gotta check out that Sarah Fimm album, I've only heard Nexus and Red Yellow Sun.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2012, 06:05:54 AM »
Violator :heart
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »
Zander your writeups put mine to shame and I hate you for it.

Also I haven't heard a Perfect Dream Yet.  Just Nexus and Near Infinite Possibility, but both are good.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
I've been out of town, so I'm just catching up.

The Mantle and Still Life are awesome as everyone except Nick seems to know.

I've been trying to find a copy of that For My Pain... album since you sent me that clip for my roulette.  I agree that I think it would get some traction here if there were any more copied to be had.

I enjoy October Rust - another roulette play from you, so it will probably only be a matter of time until I pick this up since you're implictly recommeneding it here.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »
I love Still Life and your write-ups are awesome.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
Thanks, guys.  :D

Also, you can legally stream all of Sarah Fimm's albums for free on her website if you're inclined to listen. She's awesome like that.

The next update will be soon.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
And here. We. Go.

23. (2000) Radiohead - Kid A

How do you follow up one of the most popular and heralded albums of the 90s? Simple: You dismantle your entire sound and start from scratch completely with a new concept. Radiohead’s Kid A was a far cry from the warm and artsy alternative rock of The Bends or the dreary sonic textures of OK Computer, filled with beeps, blurbs, beats, IDM, and chaotic jazz breakouts. Radiohead were the second band I was ever a proper fan of, and I found Kid A instantly engrossing even after becoming so accustomed to the sounds of OK Computer.

It’s not a comfortable album. Right from the fragmented mumbles of “Kid A” at the beginning of Everything in Its Right Place to the harp-swept orchestrations of Motion Picture Soundtrack, this is not an easy album to lump into one genre, let alone electronica. Optimistic is about as close to their previous sound as Kid A gets, a solemn guitar punching out rough chords with chugging drums in the background. Idioteque is an abrasive dance track with rough beats and humming keyboard lulls. The National Anthem sticks out like a sore thumb with its frantic big band jazz breakdown that screeches and churns through the last few minutes. And How to Disappear Completely is trademark Radiohead misery, complete with groggy, high-pitched moans from Thom Yorke and a tearful acoustic guitar riff.

People love to rip on Radiohead for being a bunch of self-absorbed hipsters, shamelessly genre-hopping and desecrating whatever came before in their music. And that’s what makes them so good. They make the music THEY want to make, and in doing so have crafted some damn fine albums, this being the top of the bunch in my eyes.

Recommended tracks: The Nation Anthem, How to Disappear Completely, Idioteque

22. (2002) Emilie Autumn - Enchant

I never really shut up about this chick when I started posting more frequently on the forum, and I’m not sure why I was so annoying. Then again, if Martin Luther King stayed silent about his aspirations for blacks everywhere, he never would have gotten shot. Where am I going with this? Anyway, Enchant is in hugely stark contrast to the fusion of classical and industrial to be found on Emilie Autumn’s more popular Opheliac album. It’s much more subdued, softer, and completely different in musical ideas, drawing influence from jazz and celtic music. Prologue: Across the Sky opens with mystical, airy keys that lay the groundwork for her soaring vocals that never venture into being abrasive and rough like they are on Opheliac. How Strange has synthesized strings and hip-hop beats. The Celtic-influenced Juliet is delicately painted with soft electronics and Autumn’s unique vocal talents that fly and rise like a high wind, ethereal violin notes mimicking the chorus. Rose Red’s chorus and marching drums are infectious and entrancing. The apathetic If You Feel Better has a recurring jazzy piano melody that sounds lounge-like.

And then there’s Epilogue: What If. With its empowering lyrics, gorgeous vocal acrobatics, and sweeping, full piano descants, this is the absolute highlight of the album and one of my favorite conclusions to any album ever. It reeks of Tori Amos’s Winter, and yet is its own song entirely. I feel like I’ve overused the word “air” too much in this description, but it’s fitting for Enchant. It’s fairy-like, mystical, and…enchanting.

Some have found Opheliac just not that appealing to the ears, and that’s understandable. Enchant might be the perfect rebound for those people, though, at least those who are still curious. Admittedly, I don’t care too much for a whole lot of what Emilie has done recently, but this album and Opheliac are incredibly pieces of musical and vocal alchemy, and some of the most unique albums in my collection.

Recommended tracks: Prologue: Across the Sky, Juliet, Epilogue: What If

21. (2001) Bjork – Vespertine

Delicate, soft, whispery, atmospheric, blatantly sexual—I can go on and on about the sound of Vespertine but never really feel as if I’ve accurately described it. Be it harps, keys, synths, angelic choirs, of Bjork’s quirky and sporadically erratic voice, the entirety of Vespertine is a mesmerizing wonderland of full arrangements across tantalizing electronic beats. Hidden Place is like a new-age symphony concocting experimental wizardry in an enchanted forest, Bjork almost speaking the lyrics over the sounds. Cocoon is as close to balladry as Vespertine gets, containing mellow and deep synth sounds that calmly echo over electronic crackles. It’s Not Up To You, a song about unpredictable miracles in life, is backed up by flutes, violins, buzzing electrodes, and vague Japanese influences with all the wonder and serenity of a Disney forest, but without any possessed scarecrows or creepy midgets. Pagan Poetry is urgent and stylish, still with the same full orchestral elements, charmed with a unique xylophone arpeggio…or violin arpeggio...or something like that. Bjork’s voice is here in all of its typical oddball extravagancy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Vespertine has an undeniably wintry soul, and seems almost tailor-made for December. While The Mantle is harsh and crushing in its frozen haunts, Vespertine is soft and playful, despite the highly sexualized themes prevalent in the lyrics. Okay, I’m doing an absolutely terrible job describing this album. Martin Luther King would be ashamed. The bottom line is that you should listen to this album, preferably on an early winter morning.

Recommended tracks: It’s Not Up To You, Pagan Poetry, Harm of Will

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »
I've got to say Mr. Hair that you have such an interesting variety of music.  You are into layers in music and moods.  Kudos to your list!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
Thanks, King. :)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »
Radiohead, Emilie Autumn and Björk... Fuck yeah! :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2012, 12:30:35 AM »
Nice update.  :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 03:38:00 AM »

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
KID A ??

RESPECT +9000
I love beautiful things.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »
Radiohead, Emilie Autumn and Björk... Fuck yeah! :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »
Entering the top 20 now oh God oh man oh God oh man

20. (2003) The Cruxshadows – Ethernaut

One of the premiere Gothic bands of the last 20 years, The Cruxshadows  defy genres with their unique mix of goth, electronica, synthpop, EBM, and rich violin textures. EBM is often designed to make you move, and while that is certainly present on this album, their sound as a whole has an epic and eclectic flavor to it, with classical leanings in both the violin compositions and the synth arpeggios sprinkled throughout. Frontman Rogue’s voice is extremely difficult to describe. Perhaps oddly, the first description that comes to my mind is a lower-pitched Geddy Lee, with a more ancient and wisdom-like accentuation. The lyrics involve tales of heroism, redemption, angels, love, and perseverance, often alluding to Egyptian/Roman mythology. 

Recommended tracks: Winter Born (This Sacrifice), Untrue, Waiting to Leave

19. (1998) VAST – Visual Audio Sensory Theater

This holds my title for “most underappreciated debut album ever.” The music on the debut of VAST, headed by mastermind Jon Crosby, is an orgasmic mix of ambition and accessibility. Sounds include alternative rock, electronic, world music, classical, acoustic, folk, industrial, and samples of choirs that sound akin to Gregorian chant. What carries “Visual Audio Sensory Theater” over the edge, however, is Jon’s seamless ability to make each and every track appealing to the ear, never sacrificing hooks for experimentation and vice-versa. Jon’s unassuming voice goes from a rough croon (“Dirty Hole”) to a soothing whisper (“Flames”).
The production on “Visual Audio Sensory Theater” is truly something to behold. Each and every texture, even the electronics, sounds so organic and rich, as if harnessed from the earth. The melodies stretch out far beyond normal production values and create an atmosphere so deep, so full, so VAST. It has to be heard to be believed.

Recommended tracks: Here, Pretty When You Cry, Flames

18. (1999) Nine Inch Nails – The Fragile

Oh, here we go: Trent Reznor’s sprawling double-disc epic of 22 songs that features so many different styles and atmospheres that to even begin describing it seems like a futile task. But I’ll do my best.

The beginning track, Somewhat Damaged, is a consistent crescendo that slowly builds throughout its running length, adding layer upon layer of guitar and drums, with blistering sound effects and industrial beats. Trent’s voice slowly becomes angrier and darker before exploding into a cacophony of screams. The Wretched is sinister bliss, switching between calm and heavy, and filled with distorted beats and ominous piano chords. Just Like You Imagined, the best instrumental track of the album and possibly Reznor’s entire career, is another crescendo, slowly building with haunting piano chords while adding layers of orchestral swirling, creating an enormous overload of eargasms that is like a tidal wave crushing the listener. Other tracks like La Mer and The Great Below are classically spiritual, ripened with ethereal violin and symphony arrangements, a hope and prayer for better things to calm. The upbeat, danceable Into the Void is defiantly industrial dance club ecstasy, still with nonstop layers and intricacies. The Big Comedown is cut and bruised with an inharmonious guitar creep interplaying with the lyrics lamenting Reznor’s current place in life. And the entire thing is settled down with the meandering, Gothic instrumental Ripe (With Decay), with a haunting acoustic guitar strum and distant piano meddling.

The grandeur of the album, both in its length and density, opens it to many options of failure, but Reznor amazingly avoids all of it. Every transition and note has been painstakingly ironed out to create a natural and consistent flow to each song. And though it has never been officially declared so, there is absolutely a story here flowing through it, like The Downward Spiral. But while The Downward Spiral is more about peeling back the layers, The Fragile revolves around trying in vain to put falling pieces back together, all centered around one main character (who is most likely Reznor)

This is easily the densest, most intricately layered album I have ever heard. To label it simply “industrial” is an insult to Reznor’s creation. There are plenty of industrial overtones, yes, but each track reveals a smorgasbord of styles seamlessly mashed together, exemplifying rock, industrial, electronic, classical, dance, jazz, ambiant, folk, avant-garde, and God knows what else. Even if NIN isn’t your preferred style of music, you have to at least admire the scope and ambitions of The Fragile, or else you have no soul and don’t know anything about music and will likely burn in hell because I said so. This is not my favorite NIN album, but it is perhaps the most powerful statement of the entire discography. And to think this album actually debuted at #1 on the charts.

Recommended tracks: The Wretched, We’re In this Together, Into the Void

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2012, 01:26:25 AM »
Interesting update. I've listened to VAST a bit, nice music.. as for NiN I've been meaning to check them out for ages, basically I only know Wish and Hurt by them, but I've been meaning to listen to them. I enjoy Trent's soundtrack-work.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
Was just listening to The Fragile the other night. Great stuff! :hat

I love how much Trent continues to move around the music spectrum. Some people get freaked out when their favorite artists change their sound a little. I've always had great respect for musicians who are able to push the boundaries and maintain their musical soul. Not always an easy thing to do.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2012, 07:27:42 AM »
That's part of why Trent has always had my respect. Even though I might not like every little thing he does, I admire his ambition to try out multiple styles and never do the same thing twice. I've been a fan of his for almost 7 years now.

Looks like my list of followers is fizzing out.  :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
Still need to check out VAST, but as always, I want Trent Reznor's penis in my mouth.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »

I'm following dude.  Well more like watching quietly.  In the corner.  Beating off.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »

I'm following dude.  Well more like watching quietly.  In the corner.  Beating off.

And I just don't have much to say until your favorite Royal Hunt albums start popping up on the list.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
I'm following but since I haven't heard to most of these bands there's not much I can say.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »
I'm following but since I haven't heard to most of these bands there's not much I can say.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
That's fair enough. As long as people read it, that's all the motivation I need to consistently update. :)

17. (1999) VNV Nation - Empires

VNV Nation are the band that sealed me as an EBM fan forever, and they’re still easily my favorite of the genre, as well as the most important and relevant. Empires is exactly what one would expect from the genre, and yet at the same time it is so much more. It has the standard synthesizers and industrialized dance beats, but the compositions are so airy, sweeping, and downright orchestral, and simply can’t be confined to the dance floor. The sweeping melodies of synths sound huge and ambitious, and they are the perfect sound to compliment the lyrical content. While Empires is not a concept album, the songs do revolve around a theme, one that is prevalent in a good deal of VNV Nation’s albums: the quest for hope and redemption, to rebuild that which has fallen apart. Frontman Ronan Harris’s voice is not particularly diverse, but the abrasive honesty and rough character in his vocals pack an incredible emotional punch into each and every song. This is the kind of music meant to both make you move and inspire you. It certainly does both to me. 

Recommended tracks: Kingdom, Standing, Darkangel

16. (2007) Sopor Aeternus & the Ensembles of Shadows - Les Fluers Du Mal

One of the most unique and undoubtedly vital artists in the Gothic community is the transgendered Ana-Varney Cantodea, who creates music under the moniker of Sopor Aeternus & the Ensemble of Shadows. That’s quite the name, isn’t it? It definitely drew me in, and I’m so glad it did.

The music Sopor Aeternus creates is extraordinary. Mixed in with her (his?) androgynous crooning and crying is a flooring mix of baroque, classical, symphonic, pop, electronic, and Goth rock tendencies. There are full arrangements here of violins, cellos, flutes, horns, pianos, organs, synthesizers, harpsichords, oboes, drums, and spooky theatrics. Darkwave is the blanket statement used to describe the overall sound, and meanwhile Ana herself describes her music as “music for dead children [and otherwise wounded souls], that is all."  I for one am thoroughly aroused. Lyrical themes often deal with occultisms, romance, death, despair, loneliness, sexuality, and transexuality, but the lyrics on Les Fleurs Du Mal are a bit more straightforward, with much of the ambiguity stripped away.

But this doesn’t take away from the album. The compositions are full and awe-inspiring, such as the child choir on In Der Palastra and the mournful violin in Bitter Sweet. The atmosphere, much like her (HIS?!) other albums, is rich with that incredibly medieval flavor that you’ll be hard-pressed to find in any other type of music out there right now, though it is perhaps vaguely reminiscent of Dead Can Dance. The music never sounds amorphous or meandering, as it is sprinkled with minor pop sensibilities. The compositions sound fuller and more elegant on Les Fluers Del Mal, partrly in due to the choir on several songs and the enrichment of full sounds. Ana’s voice is a grower—at times it can sound very ugly and off-putting, but the uniqueness and genuine grief that is equipped with her poetry eventually shines through.

The lyrics themselves, as mentioned before, are more straightforward than on previous albums, and at times have a very bizarre and offbeat sense of humor. Always Within the Hour and In Der Palastra allude to rejecting human feelings, lamenting their sudden influxes. Shave, If You Love Me and The Virgin Queen are about what their titles imply. Some Men Are Like Chocolate is a witty jab at chauvinist male pigs, so in other words, me.

I’m currently listening to this album, and it truly feels like an orchestra in an abandoned castle during the medieval ages, despairingly playing her (HIS?!?!) symphonies of sorrow at midnight. Perhaps Sopor’s music could only ever be enjoyed by people like me, but if you want to hear music you’re most likely never to hear from any other band, Les Fleurs Du Mal is highly recommended.

Recommended tracks: In Der Palastra, Helvetia Sexualis, Les Fleurs Del Mal

15. (1985) The Cure - The Head on the Door

The Cure are known for being the masters of doom and gloom, producing downer melodrama on dirge-ridden guitars and keyboards and miserable lyrics sung by makeup-drenched frontman Robert Smith. Each and every note belches out repellent despair, never inviting the listener in for a softer and more welcoming experience.

The Head on the door is almost the exact opposite of that.

Almost is the key word. The lyrics are still as gloomy as ever, never letting up with desperation and despair. But the music itself is much more accessible and gasp poppier than usual. Some fans cried sellout at the time, but the beats, melodies, harmonies, and hooks are too damn good to ignore. The Cure always had a pop side to them, which would be later explored in singles like Just Like Heaven and Friday I’m In Love. What The Head on the Door manages to accomplish is a collection of 10 sad pop songs that are neither underwhelming nor overwhelming in their short runtime and slightly warmer atmosphere—an excellent balance of pop and art.

In Between Days is speckled with a soft acoustic guitar riff and light synthpop, and is merely 2 ½ minute long. The Blood is rich in flamenco influence, with the lyrical content relating to a drink Robert Smith enjoyed getting wasted on. Close to Me is a quiet sigh in the middle of the night, with a senile upbeat bass line murmuring over choppy drums and Smith’s half-whispered pouts over a waste night meant to amount to something more. A Night Like This is shameless 80s nightlife, with casual sax thrown in near the end. The end track, Sinking, is as close to that familiar harrowing rainfall of melancholy as The Head on the Door ever gets, a realization of life quickly passing by along with slow, desperate melodies.

Amidst the dark, gritty, and angry Pornography and the epic, immersive Disintegration is this unique snowflake of art pop in The Cure’s discography. It is a testament to their ambition, willingness to experiment, diversity, and ability to write damn good songs.

Recommended tracks: The Blood, Close to Me, Sinking