Author Topic: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. If I could start again...  (Read 56510 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. Hair
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:50 PM »
^ That.

I still have to get an Ayria album. D: She seemed great from that song you played in rolling.

Hounds of Love is an amazing album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 11:35:45 PM »
My Arms Your Hearse is amazing. I've heard a few Smashing Pumpkins songs that I've really liked, so Siamese Dream have been on my list for a while. Kate Bush is also great, though I don't know that particular album.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 12:52:11 AM »
You're a good writer, Zander.
This this this this this. That might have been the best description of MAYH. Also good choice  :metal
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 01:39:13 AM »
Haven't heard many of these but they sound cool! Will check em out.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
I love Siamese Dream, my favorite Smashing Pumpkins album :tup

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »
You're a good writer, Zander.

Yeah he should write for a magazine or something.

Also, MAYH is I think my favorite Opeth album at this point.  So well done there.  I have still never heard a whole Smashing Pumpkins album.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
Following

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
Zandeezy my neezy, Siamese Dream is the shizniz.  I felt like talking like Snoop Dogg for a minute, fuckin sue me.  But anyway, great pick!  It would be in my top 50 as well if I ever got around to doing one but I probably won't ever because the waiting list is like a million years long and nobody gives a shit about my tastes anyway so fuck you all you're a bunch of fucking fuckholes. 

But anywho, I like that album too yay.  We are brothers.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'm doing my best to keep the descriptions interesting and portray what the albums sound like. And good to see that all three albums are known/loved.

C'mere and give me a manly hug and let me ruffle your hair.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
My Arms, Your Hearse! :tup

you've seen my top 50 and know how much I love it. Great.
I suspect we can see Still Life soon then?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
I listened to that Smashing Pumpkins album; it was pretty good! Will probably play it again soon.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'm doing my best to keep the descriptions interesting and portray what the albums sound like. And good to see that all three albums are known/loved.

C'mere and give me a manly hug and let me ruffle your hair.

Dude my hair would be way too intimidated by your hair.

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »
WE NEED UPDATE
hi

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »
DON'T RUSH GENIUS

Anyway, here's 3 albums no one will give a shit about.

41. (1983) New Order – Power, Corruption & Lies

New Order was formed from the ashes of Joy Division after frontman Ian Curtis committed suicide, continuing the post-punk name with added elements that set them apart from others in the genre while creating a sound that would influence future generations.  Power, Corruption, & Lies is a special blend of minimalist post-punk with dance sensibilities, one of the seminal new wave albums of the time. With punkish guitar chords and thumping bass over choppy drumbeats akin to club music, they create a rather distant, lonely feeling for Bernard Sumner’s strangely plain voice. His vocals seem pretty unremarkable at first, and yeah, they’re not that impressive compared to others on this list. But no other kind of vocal style would suit New Order’s music. There’s a strange kind of pitiful gloominess in his voice, like a stray puppy or a drunk who lost a bet. On that level, his vocals work pretty damn well, especially on songs like The Village and Leave Me Alone. PCL has New Order’s biggest hit, Blue Monday, which is a shameless 80s dance floor anthem replete with bouncing bass synth and angsty lyrics, and there’s a good chance you may have heard it before. If not, it’s likely that you’ve heard many songs that have taken a note of two from it, as it was a hugely popular single. It may sound rather dated, but the ideas and ambitions behind it certainly are not.

Recommended tracks: The Village, Blue Monday, Leave Me Alone

40. (1987) The Sisters of Mercy – Floodland

Some albums on this last are shamelessly Goth. This is one of them. From the arena rock powerhouse opener Dominion/Mother Russia to the sickly journey down the doom-plastered pit that is Never Land, Floodland is The Sisters of Mercy’s crowning achievement. Andrew Eldritch’s vocals are deep and baritone-like, the type that one would expect from most Goth bands. He can go from haunting murmurs to shrill croons, tackling topics like passive aggressively mocking other band members and mourning a lost childhood. Goth princess Patricia Morrison, who was recruited on this album to play bass, adds a new vibe to the band, visually and musically. While her showmanship isn’t necessarily complex, it adds a depth to the sound that can be rumbling, punchy, and dense. One of the landmarks of the 80s Goth scene, failure to listen to this album results in a subtraction of 30 Goth points.

Recommended tracks: Lucretia My Reflection, 1959, Never Land (Full Length)

39. (2000) Poe - Haunted

First and foremost, I need to give credit where credit is due and thank LeeHarveyKennedy for peaking my interest in this album/artist.

Wherever you are, Lee, be it trolling people at your place of employment, lost in the ether with Epicview, or crushing unsuspecting women with your enormous penis, thank you. Thank you very much.

Anyway, I’ve always had a difficult time describing this album. It’s not particularly bizarre or avant-garde (that would probably make it easier to describe, really), but the mixing of styles, choices of instrumentations, and lyrical themes make it much to unique to box into a simple category like singer-songwriter, indie, or alternative. In fact, Poe’s Haunted might be the most ambiguous album in my collection.

The easiest way to describe this album, I guess, would be alternative rock for people who don’t like alternative rock, kind of like Dredg. The subtle electronic hums provide the platform for orchestral displays of layered harmonies that build on each other without ever sounding muddied or overwhelming. The melodies are never once generic or cliché, and yet they remain perfectly within the grasp of any listener who has at least a vaguely open mind. It is pop music at its stripped core, yes, but it is so seamlessly coated with various other styles that labeling it pop music would be an insult. The way all of these styles interweave with each other is what makes my vocabulary so conservative and, ultimately, my description of the music just awful.

The album follows a loose story of Poe dealing with her repressed emotions centering on her complex relationship with her father, and her coping with his death. Excerpts of audiotapes made by her father are sprinkled throughout in interludes and small portions of songs. It is also partly based on the novel House of Leaves, written by her brother.

What really brings out this album’s character, however, is Poe’s voice. At times it is heartfelt and gorgeous, like in Haunted or If You Were Here, and other times it’s accentuated with a rough, witty attitude, like in the verses of Walk the Walk or the entirety of Not a Virgin. It avoids being jarring or intimidating, which Kate Bush is sometimes guilty of, but still manages to be daring enough to bring out emotions in the songs that would be otherwise absent.

If I haven’t lost any readers by now after the first two albums in this update, I genuinely think this album would appeal to a wide range of DTFers, and it is highly recommended.

Recommended tracks: Haunted, Control, Amazed
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:03:26 AM by Ravenheart »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2012, 01:00:30 AM »
Haven't heard any of those ones. ;o

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 01:27:57 AM »
I've listened to Poe and New Order a bit, but never properly gotten into them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »
Will listen to that Poe album soon for sure! ;)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
Sorry 'bout the delay. Things got hectic, but I'll make up for it with another update soon.

38. (2002) Agalloch – The Mantle

I found this band/album a good 5 years ago when looking for music similar to Opeth, and what a find it was. Agalloch were the second metal band I started seriously listening to. But Opeth comparisons are unjust, as Agalloch, and The Mantle particularly, are of another breed entirely. The music takes its time to paint a full picture in broad, spacious strokes—delicate acoustic passages woven over distant black metal compositions with post-rock leanings. If there was ever an album that fully captured the feelings of nature, this was it. Vocalist Jon Haughm’s voice, whether it’s chilling whispers, a somber sigh of melodic singing, or mysterious black metal snarls, is like the winter wind rushing through trees encased in snow. That sounds incredibly cheesy, I realize, but it makes sense.  The music is a consistent, melancholic wave, exploring thunderous, rainy riffs like on I Am the Wooden Doors, and dismal, vast geographies of hushed tragedy, such as in …And the Great Cold Death of the Earth. Lyrical themes relate to spirituality, life, love, and loss, with just the right amount of ambiguity to match the stunning display of musical uniqueness.

Recommended tracks: In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion, You Were But a Ghost In My Arms, …And the Great Cold Death of the Earth

37. (2004) The Birthday Massacre – Violet

The Birthday Massacre are one of the best modern Goth bands around, combining 80s synthpop sensibilities with metallic guitar riffs. Female lead singer Chibi’s voice is beautiful and mischievously cute, while sometimes veering on dark and foreboding when whispering snarls under her breath. Violet contains their signature sound, but with key differences. The slightly muddied production, distant electronic beats, and rich synthesizers give it a gritty dance club atmosphere that is much more pronounced on this album than their others. It has a touch of mystery to it, like an old vinyl found in the attic dusted off and played. It’s heavy enough to rock out to, dark enough to listen to with the lights out, and danceable enough to get your blood pumping and your body moving.

Recommended tracks: Lovers End, Horror Show, Blue

36. (1992) Tori Amos – Little Earthquakes

This album was like an earthquake for me when it finally clicked. Tori’s classical training combined with knack for pop and introspective poetry make Little Earthquakes a landmark of female artistry and a gem of the 90s. Her voice is soaring and delicate with a touch of quirkiness and attitude that is the most remarkable aspect of Little Earthquakes. Gorgeous piano chords set the platform for her raw, honest poetry that strikes the perfect balance between ambiguity and slapping you in the face with brutal earnestness. The song styles range from simply yet remarkable pop songs, like Crucify and Happy Phantom, to stunning symphonies of rich, orchestral swells like the title track. The centerpiece of the album, Winter, is the unquestionable highlight, featuring a stripped down Tori with only her voice and piano, save for a breathtaking orchestral crescendo in the middle.

While this is not my favorite Tori album, I would opt to say that this is the best starting point for anyone whose curiosity is peaked. If you’ve ever had the slightest inclination to enjoy female artists, you owe it to yourself to give this album at least one spin.

Recommended tracks: Crucify, Silent All These Years, Winter

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
Agalloch AND Tori Amos. Beautiful Zander, just beautiful.  :heart

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
Haven't listened to Tori, but I fucking love The Mantle and Violet.

Kosmo

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
The Mantle is simply one of the best albums ever made, regardless of genre.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the mantle mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2012, 01:59:19 PM »
Agalloch AND Tori Amos. Beautiful Zander, just beautiful.  :heart
:tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 02:24:17 PM »
Interesting list, will follow

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
There better at least be some Evergrey on this list.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
I'm sure there will be, Nick. Evergrey is like Dream Theater if every member of Dream Theater was Zander.

Also, MAYH is I think my favorite Opeth album at this point.

lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Great to see the Tori love.

The pressure is on from Nick. I can't take this. Someone show him the door, please.

As promised, here's another update. Yet again, it contains 3 albums no one wil give a shit about.

35. (1988) Skinny Puppy - VIVIsect VI

There is absolutely nothing melodic or catchy on this album. You will find no hook or chorus, no guitar riff or heartfelt lyric. Nope. This album grabs you by the balls at first listen and castrates you while telling you you’re a piece of shit. Skinny Puppy were pioneers of industrial music, and VIVIsect VI is a clustercuck of inharmonious drum beats, processed synths, and the ugly vocals of frontman Ohgr. His voice has nothing redeeming or pleasant about it whatsoever, opting for terrifying snarls and barks, shamelessly sneering and crooning, like a rabid dog (or puppy! LOL!). More often than not, it sounds like he is merely talking. Samples taken from films and news reports are scattered throughout each song that up the tuneless symphony that is this album (and Skinny Puppy in general).

Underneath the sludgy layers of industrial doom happen to be very serious lyrics that condemn animal cruelty and the testing of animals, with songs like Human Disease (S.K.U.M.M.) firmly flipping off the entirety of the human race. In its own strange way, the baffling carnival of industrial alchemy is the perfect complement to these kinds of lyrical subjects (and especially the vocal style). If you enjoy industrial and don’t mind a bit of discord infused with it, this album is recommended. If not, stay away. Stay away! Unless you're a masochist.

Recommended tracks: Human Disease (S.K.U.M.M.), Testure, Hospital Waste

34. (2000) Covenant – United States of Mind

And now back to something a little more melodic and accessible, fresh from the EBM oven. Covenant hit it off in the 90s at the rise of VNV Nation, but they have a sound that distinguishes them from VNV clones. Their brand, such as on United States of Mind, is less about harsh, rough synth, often incorporating softer soundscapes that sound less like the dancefloor and more like the air and the sky.

But the dance appeal is still present. The harrowing opener Like Tears in Rain is a blistering lament of everything falling apart. Other tracks like Dead Stars and One World One Sky follow suite with fast-paced beats and quick synth, but the energy is contrasted with subtle, creeping numbers like Helicopter and Still Life. Vocalist Eksil Simonsson is deep, dark, and emotive, sounding uncannily Gothic at times. He can croon and soar, or sound somberly possessed, while still maintaining that Gothic undercurrent. All industrial/EBM fans ought to spin this album at least once.

Recommended tracks: Like Tears in Rain, Tour De Force, Still Life

33. (1998) Rasputina – How We Quit the Forest

This album was sent through a wormhole in time from the Victorian era. And if this album is in fact a historical artifact, then everything during Victorian times was quirkier, goofier, and just flat-out more bizarre than anyone thought. . Melora Creager, frontwoman and mastermind of Rasputina, seamlessly blends mellow industrial beats with rich, boisterous cello playing. They coined the term cello rock, in fact. How many bands carry that moniker is debatable, but it’s pretty damn cool and exactly what it sounds like. The cello compositions range from synthesized to organic, the more processed parts being unlike anything I’ve heard in any other band, almost sounding dirty and muddied. Creager’s shimmering vibrato voice is perplexingly eccentric, but also pleasant and often elegant. Her lyrical topics range from serious and personal to unapologetically strange and humorous. Dwarf Star is a scathing amalgamation of jarring cello screeches, offbeat vocalizing, and dry industrial textures, with a story that would be confusing and silly to spell out for people. Diamond Mind is a witty parody of vanity and materialism. The highlights, however, are the fuller compositions that let Creager’s voice and talents with the cello shine, like The New Zero and The Olde Headboard. Overall, How We Quit the Forest is a nice mixture of the strange and the catchy, with ingenuity to boast.

Recommended tracks: The Olde Headboard, The New Zero, Things I’m Gonna Do

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2012, 02:52:34 PM »
Rasputina :heart though I like Sister Kinderhook more methinks.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2012, 02:53:17 PM »
It was hard to pick a favorite Rasputina album, really, but I tend to go back to How We Quit the Forest the most.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
Why do I only know about 25% of this list?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
Because Ravenheart
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
yeah.
Squ

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
Amazing picks! The Mantle and Little Earthquakes are some of my fave albums ever!

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
3 more albums no one cares about.

32. (1987) The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come

This was The Smiths’ swansong, which would culminate in the tension between lead singer Morrissey and guitarist/co-songwriter Johnny Marr breaking the band up. Despite all the tension, however, they went out with a bang. Among Smiths fans, this often isn't the most praised. I can understand why, in a way, since it doesn't have any immediately recognizable hits like How Soon is Now? or I Know It's Over.

But that doesn't matter. Strangeways Here We Come is chock-full of simple yet fantastic melodies—what should be the standards for all pop music. Johnny Marr's guitar compositions are surprisingly intricate and complex, despite the lack of flashy noodling or solos.  At times, it even borders on a bit of a punkish attitude. Orchestral laments like Girlfriend in a Coma and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me are peppered with Morrissey’s profoundly miserable yet oddly witty lyrics that are relatable to the point of making me feel uncomfortable at times. And Morrissey’s voice is just to die for, and in the same vein as Freddie Mercury’s: instantly recognizable and full of harmony and charm.

Recommended tracks: Girlfriend in a Coma, Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me, Paint a Vulgar Picture

31. (2003) For My Pain... - Fallen

This is a little-known collaboration between various members of symphonic Goth death metal band Eternal Tears of Sorrow and Tuomos Holopainen of Nightwish. The result is a amazing mix of rich, slow, gothic dirge slated over metallic compositions. Vocal Juha, who would actually go on later to be the vocalist for Reflexion, is deep, dark, romantic, emotive, and sexual. Tuomos's piano and synth melodies are vast and beautiful in their tragic atmosphere, never sounding indulgent or over the top. The guitar riffs are heavy and sludge-ridden like most doom metal, but the album as a whole has a quicker pace than the likes of My Dying Bride or early Paradise Lost. It has enough accessibility to make it instantly appealing and easy to swallow, but with enough melancholy to remind you that these guys are more depressed than Colin after his style, mystery, and confidence failed him after a week or whatever.

Once again, I think this album would appeal to a wide DTF audience.

Recommended tracks: Dancer in the Dark, Broken Days, Autumn Harmony

30. (2009) Assemblage 23 - Compass

Assemblage 23, a project headed by Tom Shear, is one of the most important and best EBM/futurepop bands to rise in the wake of VNV Nation. He's shown minor evolution and changes with each album, often a change in tone or production. Past albums had a thicker industrial edge to them, whereas that is toned down a bit on Compass. Compass is lighter, turning up the synthpop to 11 and allowing for more vulnerable and delicate melodies to shine. Shear's voice isn't particularly remarkable, but the honesty and lack of pretension helps bring out the honest and introspective stories he tells with his lyrics. Collapse is an agressive dance number with dark, club-like claustrophobia, and in contrast, The Cruelest Year feels vast, infinite, and airy. While darkness and gritty industrial undertones are present, the soaring keyboard and synthesizer melodies give Compass enough pop sensibilities to distinguish it from the crowd.

Recommended tracks: Collapse, How Can You Sleep?, The Cruelest Year

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »
Haven't listened to any of those, but that For My Pain cover is gorgeous.