Author Topic: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. If I could start again...  (Read 56334 times)

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. If I could start again...
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:20:47 PM »
Hello and welcome! I’m sure you’re all moist and frothy with excitement. Well, never fear, because you won’t be kept in the dark any longer. That’s right—a DTF exclusive, Ravenheart’s top 50 albums of how he currently felt during the sloppy organization of this list of all time. You won’t be seeing this list anywhere else.

I’ll save you all some time and state this right now: I genuinely don’t think many of these albums will be of much appeal to the majority of the members here, so I don’t think I can realistically expect too many followers. Then again, I’m sure they said the same thing about Charles Manson, and he turned out to be pretty successful. And who knows? If you follow, you might be lucky enough to read about something that tickles your fancy.

There will probably also be some albums on here that people don’t like, but that’s okay. Some people didn’t like Ghandi either.

While I like to think my tastes in music are more diverse than not, I have an affinity for darker, gloomier music, both lyrically and musically. That’s not a secret for those of you who know me well or chat with me in the top-secret really important gossip rag Facebook group.

I toyed with a rule during the compiling of this list to see if I could follow it: no more than 2 albums a band. If that rule made writing the list harder than Drew when looking at pictures of Ariana Grande, then I’d trash it and play without rules. As it turns out, it was actually quite easy to follow, and it’s definitely much more accurate than I was fearing it would be.

Creating these lists can be challenging. 50 albums is a daunting task for any music lover, and I’m sure some of my faithful readers who have crafted top 50s have had challenges and dilemmas. Ranking these albums can sometimes be like ranking your children by how deformed they are. Plus, it can be difficult to discern between which albums have had genuine staying power and which are just spur-of-the-moment kinds of things. But I’ve done my best to create a top 50 list that makes me happy and contains albums I think I can adequately describe my love for.

I’ll include the titles in big bold letters and the artwork of each album because none of you fuckers will read the descriptions. <3

50. (2005) Unter Null - The Failure Epiphany

Coming in at #50 is the debut album of classically trained Erica Dunham under the moniker Unter Null. This album is a violent spray of heavy EBM (electronic body music, which would best be described as industrial dance music, I guess) and industrial. The synth sounds and drum beats are extremely fast, furious, and aggressive. Dunhma's vocals are vicious and border on sounding like a bark, adding to the ferocity of each song. Despite the dark and gritty atmosphere, each track is laden with synths and dance beats that make it accessible enough for the whole family to enjoy--at heart, the songs here, such as "Feed the Lie," Sick Fuck," and You Have Fallen From Grace," are pop songs laced with brutality and anger. There is a distinct feeling of remorse and tragedy that flows from track to track, with somber keyboard swells serving as the backdrop.

Ian can also vouch for the awesome of this album.

Recommended tracks: Feed the Lie, Sick Fuck, You Have Fallen From Grace

49. (2005) Chiasm - Relapse

It pains me to see how little attention this woman (Emileigh Rohn) has received, even after being in the business for so long. Her take on Gothic Industrial is quite fresh and a unique stray from EBM or standard industrial. The synths are slow, dark, and ominous, rarely danceable or upbeat. The drumbeats lurking beneath are voyeuristic and menacing. It’s like The Terminator put to music, or some other dark Sci-Fi film. Emileigh’s lyrics, particularly for this album, are introspective pouts of isolation and depression, save for “Rewind,” which hints at a vague plan for redemption. Her voice is sweet, soothing, and oh so mournful. Relapse is a consistent flow of dark, gothic atmospheres that lament and despair with ugly precision.

Recommended tracks: Embryonic, Still, Chosen Fate

48. (1987) Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun

Oh lawdy, how to even begin describing this album? The first description that jumps to the front of my mind is: Dark, ethereal soundscapes with ominous darkwave overtones. The ambient keys set a very threatening atmosphere, like an ever-present force lurking in the air.
Brendan Perry’s voice dominates the first half of the album. Deep and soulful, his lyrics, while not particularly difficult to understand, are still deep and relatable in their subject matter. The latter half showcases Lisa Gerrard’s amazing singing talents—a rich, mournful, harrowing falsetto, like middle-eastern music with a touch of evil. The medieval ambiance makes “Within the Realm of a Dying Sun” sound like it’s within the realm of some immense cathedral.
While it’s void of any fast, discordant guitar riffs or aggressive vocals, this absolutely is Gothic in the purest of forms—threatening, ill-omened, haunting, and breathtaking.
The only adjustment I would make is a mix of the two styles to prevent  the album from sounding so polarized, but that’s only a very minor complaint.

Recommended tracks: Anywhere Out in the World, Xavier, Persephone (The Gathering of Flowers)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:08:18 AM by Ravenheart »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Ravenheart's top 50 albums v. Hair
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »
Very interested in this list. :) Dead Can Dance is great and the Chiasm song you sent me was great.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
I must admit, I don't know any of these  :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:26:29 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
First of all, the OP made me laugh several times  :tup. So far I don't know any of these bands but given that you won my roulette I will actually read the descriptions on each album you post so to know if it can be in the ballpark for me and then try to listen to it. Expecting more Zander awesomness.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
FUCK YEAH

Looking forward for this list!! :tup

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I don't know any of these albums, and it'll probably stay that way since I didn't read anything but the nice bolded titles.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
I don't know any of these albums, and it'll probably stay that way since I didn't read anything but the nice bolded titles.

Well it's not prog metal for once. :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »

Insult fail. I probably listen to as much or more prog-rock than I do prog-metal.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
:lol
And I thought DTVT's list was obscure!
Yikes!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 05:00:50 PM »

Insult fail. I probably listen to as much or more prog-rock than I do prog-metal.

SO DIVERSE! D:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 05:04:51 PM »

SO DIVERSE! D:

Was in no way claiming it was diverse, simply saying that if you wanted to lol about it you would have been better served saying prog-rock or even better, simply prog.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »
Chiasm and Dead Can Dance sound interesting.  Are they on spotify? 

Loved you introduction, btw  :rollin

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »

SO DIVERSE! D:

Was in no way claiming it was diverse, simply saying that if you wanted to lol about it you would have been better served saying prog-rock or even better, simply prog.

well... prog*

buuuuuuuuuuurned :yarr

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »

This is why I was so excited for Zander's.  Hell, even my top 50 was filled with prog rock and prog metal albums.  Good to see someone breaking the mold with stuff even Ryan Gallagher won't touch.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »
Chiasm and Dead Can Dance sound interesting.  Are they on spotify? 

Loved you introduction, btw  :rollin

Chiasm is in grooveshark
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
Following!

In b4 the rest of the albums are 80s goth albums I've never heard of.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
In b4 albums from 9 different chicks who can't spell Emily.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:31 PM »
EL OH EL

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
I haven't heard and Dead Can Dance records but I do have Lisa Gerrards - Immortal Memory and it's pretty good.

Haven't heard the other two either but I'll be following.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
Should be a good list!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »

In b4 the rest of the albums are 80s goth albums I've never heard of.
If so, definitely hoping for Fields Of The Nephilim!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
Haven't listened to Dead Can Dance, but I fucking love Failure Epiphany and Relapse.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
Zandering.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »
Thanks for the interest, everyone! I'll update this one more time tonight. Then it's time to hit the sack. Then bed.

47. (2008) Reflexion – Dead to the Past, Blind for Tomorrow

Reflexion is a little-known band from Finland that deserves much more attention than it gets. Their brand of dark yet upbeat Goth rick is crisped with vague symphonic melodies, and the result is just damn catchy. That’s the best way to summarize this wonderful collection of songs: damn catchy. “Nonstop Glorious Ride” is fast, punkish, and layered with catchy vocals and an infectious chorus. Twilight Child, possibly my favorite Reflexion song overall, is a gorgeous piano-washed rock song with an almost symphonic edge and a memorable chorus. Other tracks like Weak and Tired and Black is the Colour of Your Life are fast-paced Goth rockers that have a metal vibe with an alternative spin on them. The closer, Just One Word (Goodbye), is as depressing as it sounds.

In a way, they’re vaguely reminiscent of HIM, except with better melodies, better lyrics, better riffs, and just better songs overall.

Most notably, I think this is one of the few albums on my list that would appeal to a wide range of DTFers.

Recommended tracks: Embrace of Wrath, Twilight Child, Just One Word (Goodbye)

46. (2006) Ayria - Flicker

And we're back on the dance floor. Jennifer Parkin, or Ayria, is yet another one of those EBM artists that I was previously talking about. From beginning to end, “Flicker” is unapologetically laced with rough-edge synthesizers, heavy industrial drumbeats, and angst-ridden lyrics. It still maintains a dark, brooding atmosphere even in its fastest moments--almost gritty. The production is somewhat unpolished, but in this case, it only enhances the tracks. It has a nice mix of fast and slow, with the slower numbers like Pink Dress and Lovely Day adding a profound sense of loneliness to the album.

Recommended tracks: My Revenge On the World, My Device, Lovely Day

45. (2010)  Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - The Social Network OST

It's no secret that I'm a huge Nine Inch Nails fan. Trent Reznor was responsible for my decision to start seriously listening to music and investigating it. His music has been a very important part of my life, and this soundtrack was a huge and critical step in his evolution as an artist, even over 20 years into his career. It lacks the hooks and melodies of NIN, but that's not what it's meant for. This is a score to be immersed in, to let it wash over you, consume you, take you away, and fellate you. The textures and soundscapes transcend standard electronica/ambient, opting to explore the dark, the minimalistic, the huge, the epic, and the chaotic. I've found myself completely lost in thought while listening to this score during many occasions, and it's great inspiration for my own creative processes and for helping me stay focused on homework. It is a cumulative piece of work that flows from beginning to end, exploring various dynamics while never losing any cohesion. While some naysayers (idiots) try to pass off Trent as a no-talent pop icon, this is a shining example of the beauty and creativity he is capable of composing.

Recommended tracks: Painted Sun in Abstract, Carbon Prevails, Eventually We Find Our Way

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:14 AM »
The Social Network OST is awesome. Will check out the other two...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 02:03:40 AM »
Great to finally see this thread!
I have a feeling that much of it will be a bit too industrial or gothic (or just dark) for me, but it's always great with a list that isn't just your typical Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Mastodon, and so on. (no offense to the bands, just interesting with lots of other stuff)

So far I know the Social Network OST which is awesome and I've heard a tune or two by Chiasm.

Kosmo

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 07:19:47 AM »
Following, from what I've seen we have a very similar music taste.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
Haven't listened to Reflexion, but I fucking love Flicker and The Social Network OST.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
Followin' and junk.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
I'm now going to assume that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" OST will be higher ranked in the list.

I'll probably check out a good portion of albums that you post in this list, seeing as I've never disliked any music you've introduced to me before.

FOLLOWIN'
hi

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
44. (1998) Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse

This band is relatively unknown. You probably haven't heard of them. Creeping out of their run of Orchid and Morningrise, which were already startlingly huge accomplishments that defied genres, Opeth created probably the bleakest and most desolate album of their careers with My Arms, Your Hearse.  The story of the album is a narrative by a ghost stalking his past lover, and the music is just as much of a character as Mikael Akerfeldt's incredible voice that switches between demonic roars and bone-chilling, melodic singing. The production is noticeably muddier than their other albums, but that has always been part of the charm for me. There is a thick layer of dirge covering every angle of the music, from the haunting climax of When, to the sonic assault of Demon of the Fall, to the aching cries of Epilogue. Some people might hate my saying this, but this album absolutely IS gothic, conjuring images of empty forests bathed in moonlight, complemented by the contrasting voice of Mikael that never loses its profound accent of loneliness. While not my favorite Opeth album, I am sometimes tempted to name it so.

Recommended tracks: When, Demon of the Fall, Karma

43. (1985) Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

This is the best album by the confounding, baffling queen of schizophrenic art pop known as Kate Bush. I'll admit that, while listening to her music, on occasion, I find myself wondering what the hell it is that's blasting in my ears. From her dense, often allegoric lyrics, to the jarring pop melodies of pianos, to her own batshit-crazy vocal acrobatics that she's not shy of exemplifying, Kate Bush can often be a mystery to me.

But that's part of what makes her so damn good in the end. And Hounds of Love, insanity aside, is the perfect blend of all her wacky talents with a strong sense of accessibility thrown in. With liberal use of string sections and warm synth backgrounds, the album often sounds symphonic, and just plain BIG. It's difficult to describe, but tracks like Running Up that Hill (A Deal With God) and The Big Sky are so rich and full in their arrangements that the description "big" just seems to fit. Bush's most upfront achievement with Hounds of Love is her seamless blend of pop catchiness and offbeat experimentation that live in very comfortable fusion. Even the sample-drenched studio fuckery of Waking the Witch is laden with harmonies and melodies that are too delicate and gorgeous not to admire. Her vocal gymnastics are toned down a bit on this album to fit the context of what is a very dreamy, warm, and often sensual record. Hounds of Love is a huge statement for not just 80s music or female musicians, but for the entire art as a whole.

Recommended tracks: Running Up that Hill (A Deal With God), Cloudbusting, Jig of Life

42. (1993) The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

One of most important albums of the 90s, and for good reason. The Smashing Pumpkins have never been your ordinary alternative rock band, and Siamese Dream is the perfect example of that. The most obvious aspect at first listen is the amazingly dense layering of dreamy, shoegaze-influenced guitar riffs that sounds like they could fill entire rooms. But they never border on being cliche or generic, opting for more complex and daring rhythms that are nevertheless ear worms. Billy Corgan's voice might sound whiny at first listen, but he slowly reveals his talent in lonely phrasing and yelling over the walls of fuzzy dreampop. And then there are his lyrics. Even when tackling generally simple subjects like heartbreak or yearning to be happy, Corgan's poetry is complex and thoughtful without ever treading the waters of pretension. It's angsty without the embarrassment and artsy without the smugness. The entire package is the most important part of course, but the lyrics are a very thick icing on top of this psychadelic pop metal/art rock masterpiece. While Nirvana's Nevermind gets all the credit for being the defining sound of the 90s in all of its incredibly average and plain alt. rock glory, Siamese Dream is poignant, poetic, breathtaking, and gorgeous.

Recommended tracks: Rocket, Soma, Mayonaise.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
You're a good writer, Zander.