Author Topic: Hulu  (Read 1410 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Hulu
« on: April 28, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »
Does anyone here us it? I wondered if they have all the current hit shows. I'm looking for an alternative to the dish and cable, and I just learned that xbox live lets you access hulu and things like it. I want to know if people are happy with it.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Hulu
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
I refuse to simply because the only options available on the PS3 and iPad are the paid versions.... It's not the money... It's the fact that the one I pay money for doesn't have to content that I want to watch that's available on the free one.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
I don't remember how much per month it is (like 8?) but it is worth it IMO.  Most shows get new episodes on hulu the day after they air on TV. it does have most of the popular current shows... but its lack of Archer is disturby
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:20:19 AM »
I enjoy it. It's terrible for movies and rarely will you find one that isn't a pile of steaming shit or just a downright odd indie. But for television shows and cartoons (or in my case, anime) it's a wonderful little set up they have going on. The rights deal is a bag of bullshit but hopefully with certain shows (Parks and Recreation; Tosh.0) they'll get it worked out. Sometimes you'll log in only to find a show has been cut in half or worse simply because some rights deal went bad. Hopefully that won't happen too much but I suppose that's a risk you have to be aware of for any streaming service (it happened much more often with Netflix). So, if you watch a lot of sitcoms and keep up with them, you'll enjoy it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
I use the free version to watch pretty much every new, currently airing TV show that I give a shit about.  Mainly I find it much more convenient than trying to remember when a show airs.  It's not as good for watching most cable shows, but nothing's perfect.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »
Does anyone here us it? I wondered if they have all the current hit shows. I'm looking for an alternative to the dish and cable, and I just learned that xbox live lets you access hulu and things like it. I want to know if people are happy with it.
I don't have Hulu Plus, but I've used Hulu plenty of times and it's unbeatable for TV shows that are currently running.

Rather than taking our word for it, however, answer this question for yourself by running over to Hulu's website. Check the show pages of every show you keep up with, and you'll be able to see what Hulu's deal with the show is. For example, here's The Office's home page:

So with regular Hulu you get to watch only the most recent 5 episodes of this once-great program, and Hulu Plus lets you watch all episodes from all seasons, including the latest one. Obviously, these setups aren't guaranteed to be continued in the future, but this will give you an idea what to expect in the future.

Another thing to remember is that Hulu Plus, if I understand it correctly, still requires commercials. I imagine this won't matter too much to you since you're looking to replace your cable anyway.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
Hulu plus does still use commercials ... but its not a huge deal.. less commercials than Cable
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 04:30:18 AM »
Does it basically work out that Hulu/Hulu Plus is great for TV, and Netflix is great for movies?  Because if so, I could subscribe to both and save a shitload on my cable bill.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
That's about the size of it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
Haven't touched Hulu since I got Netflix. Which I've barely touched since they split up the streaming/home delivery packages, to be honest.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »
Does it basically work out that Hulu/Hulu Plus is great for TV, and Netflix is great for movies?  Because if so, I could subscribe to both and save a shitload on my cable bill.

Pretty much. I had Hulu and Netflix going for a while... but dropped  Netflix for Blockbuster's online unlimited rental program... its $15/month and works basically like netflix's dvd service... but you can exchange your movies you get in the mail for movies in the store. So worth it :D

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"