Poll

Pick your Top 3 Tangent Studio albums!

The Music That Died Alone
The World That We Drive Through
A Place In The Queue
Not As Good As The Book
Down And Out In Paris And London
COMM

Author Topic: The Tangent Official Thread - 13th Album, "To Follow Polaris" May 10th  (Read 20845 times)

Offline The Letter M

So I've been listening to The Tangent a LOT lately, going back through all their albums and finding lots of new and exciting things from each! I've been a huge supporter of this band ever since I discovered them in 2005 and A Place In The Queue came out the next year, which just blew my mind away (and it might possibly be one of my Top 5 albums of 2006). Since then, I've pre-ordered every album and even took part in the campaign to fund their 5th album and bought A Place On The Shelf.

Andy's vision through this band has been wonderful, and his songs and words have been truly interesting and give insight into a modern prog sound based on vintage feel and inspiration. I'm not big into classic Canterbury sound, but these guys really meld the jazz and prog very well, and throw in some other unique, often heavy and harder rock into their music as well. One moment you have Andy screaming, then the next there's winds and horns blaring, and then something else altogether!

And despite constant personnel changes, the band continues to evolve and develop their sound even more. I always look forward to hearing new Tangent music, and I cannot wait for their 7th album, (which will hopefully come sooner than later, as Andy is already working on it!).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 06:22:58 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Tangent Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
Wait, they have six albums out already?  I had no idea; I lost interest after the third.  I dug the first one a lot, and the second one had some good stuff, too, but, like I said, I lost interest after the third one.  I still give that first album a whirl every once in a while, but that is about it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »
The vocals drag it way down for me, but the instrumental passages are pretty cool.  I've actually been spinning COMM quite a bit lately.  :hat

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
First two are great.  Third made me stop caring.  Haven't heard anything since that made me want to come back to them.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
I have all their albums, and my favorites are the debut, and COMM. A Place In The Queue was the last album of theirs I got, so it's sort of still digesting, but I can tell it's one of their better ones.

My rankings:
COMM
A Place In The Queue
Down and Out In Paris and London
Not As Good As The Book

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:31 PM »
The Music That Died Alone sounds really good from what I've heard... just wish it was on grooveshark.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »
The Music That Died Alone sounds really good from what I've heard... just wish it was on grooveshark.

Just buy it. Before COMM came out, I had to buy every Tangent album except The World That We Drive Through because there was no other way to hear or sample them other than actually purchasing their music (I don't like sampling music on youtube or anything like that). COMM was the exception as my local shop had it on release day and I picked that shit up real quick.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:24:16 AM »
I love The Music that Died alone 100% all the way through. I bought that album solely for the album art and it turned into a fantastic surprise.

Down and out is a little more lopsided, where as I love Where are they now, but don't really listen to the rest that much.

Those are the only two albums I have so far. 

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
COMM
A Place In The Queue

Don't have Not As Good as the Book.
The only one I can't get into is Down and Out In Paris and London. Where Are They Now is good but the rest of the album drags.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 05:03:34 PM »
COMM
A Place In The Queue

The only one I can't get into is Down and Out In Paris and London. Where Are They Now is good but the rest of the album drags.

Definitely get NAGATB - the epics on Disc 2 are worth the price alone, but Disc 1 is full of great stuff too!

Nice ranking, although interesting to see COMM so high, but it is pretty good. I do enjoy the "Fantasy Bootleg" cover of "Watcher Of The Skies". They nailed the Jon Anderson voice! :lol

Also, what are all your thoughts on A Place On The Shelf? I think Andy's take on "The Rite Of Spring" is very unique, if a bit hard to get into, but then again so was Stravinsky's original piece, so in all fairness, Andy did a good job of trying to convey the original's feel.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »
COMM
A Place In The Queue

Definitely get NAGATB - the epics on Disc 2 are worth the price alone, but Disc 1 is full of great stuff too!

Nice ranking, although interesting to see COMM so high, but it is pretty good. I do enjoy the "Fantasy Bootleg" cover of "Watcher Of The Skies". They nailed the Jon Anderson voice! :lol

Also, what are all your thoughts on A Place On The Shelf? I think Andy's take on "The Rite Of Spring" is very unique, if a bit hard to get into, but then again so was Stravinsky's original piece, so in all fairness, Andy did a good job of trying to convey the original's feel.

-Marc.
The Watcher of the Skies cover is awesome! I really love Luke Machin's work on COMM, which is why its so high on my list. Also, Andy's keyboard playing is excellent.
I'm not familiar with A Place on The Shelf. I just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting. I'll check that one out as well.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
Honestly, all 6 of their studio albums are fantastic, and it's kind of hard to rank them. I only put NAGATB at the bottom because it's my least preferred album, though it's still great. DAOIPAL is their 'weakest' album IMO, but it was my first, so it gets the edge over NAGATB (ugh, The Tangent albums are horrible for using initials)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »
(ugh, The Tangent albums are horrible for using initials)

:lol

I have thought the same thing... TMTDA, TWTWDT, APITQ, NAGATB, DAOIPAL...but then we get COMM...they did the initials FOR us!  :rollin

-Marc.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 08:26:57 PM »
Where's the Cosine Official Thread?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
(ugh, The Tangent albums are horrible for using initials)

:lol

I have thought the same thing... TMTDA, TWTWDT, APITQ, NAGATB, DAOIPAL...but then we get COMM...they did the initials FOR us!  :rollin

-Marc.

Yea I thought that was funny when that album got announced last year.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 11:34:37 PM »
Strangely, I generally rank the albums in the order they came out, although I really never gave COMM a chance because it got lost in the wash of 20+ album binge and the first listen didn't do anything for me.

Big drop off after the A Place in the Queue.  I really don't like the rotating line-up, doesn't allow chemistry to really build up, and the releasing of these albums in a rather short time has a put a lot of stale musical ideas in the later albums.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »
A Place In The Queue is my favorite, followed by The Music That Died Alone.

Like others, have since lost interest.  Didn't like Down and Out In Paris and London and only listened to a couple of the others once.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »
Strangely, I generally rank the albums in the order they came out, although I really never gave COMM a chance because it got lost in the wash of 20+ album binge and the first listen didn't do anything for me.

Big drop off after the A Place in the Queue.  I really don't like the rotating line-up, doesn't allow chemistry to really build up, and the releasing of these albums in a rather short time has a put a lot of stale musical ideas in the later albums.

I almost didn't give COMM a chance either, after the flurry of new albums I got last year, but revisiting it in the last couple weeks has allowed me to give it the proper appreciation it needed.

I initially didn't like NAGATB or DAOIPAL, but like COMM, I've come back to it with fresh ears, and NAGATB was always a bit hit-and-miss with me, more hit on disc 2 than disc 1, but now I've come to enjoy it entiretly. DAOIPAL, on the other hand, is still growing on me, but it's catching up to COMM.

It'll be interesting to see where Andy and Luke go with the new material this year!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »
Sad news, everyone...

https://www.thetangent.org/

THE TANGENT - ANNOUNCEMENT 10/10/2012

Hello everyone. I'm really sorry to have to make this awful announcement but, after many months of trying not to, I am going to have to dissolve the current line-up of The Tangent. There are a number of complex and personal reasons why I have to do this, but top of the list, head and shoulders above all reasons is the continuing financial impracticality of running the band in its current state.

As a result of the current economic situation, logistical problems (250 miles between members) and other overriding commitments, this whole Summer we met once to play the Celebr8 concert, and once at a Maschine gig. We haven't recorded or rehearsed together since July 7. Along with that are numerous other issues far too complex to recount here.

The Tangent until now have managed to exist as a 100 percent professional band since 2003. This has been my living, and I've had to fight to stay alive against many competitors. The huge huge number of bands coming into this arena now, along with the the public's acceptance of piracy as the norm means that I have less and less money to finance anything like tours. I chose Progressive Rock Music as my life's work out of love, not desire for success. The choice was guaranteed to fail, from the moment I chose this path in the late 70s. The fact that we got as far as we did is testament to a success that some folks dream of. I'm proud of our track record, what we accomplished and how we accomplished it.

We've seen the world, we've played from Moscow to RoSfest, from Spain to Sweden, from Quebec to Parma. We've sold records to 100 and more countries. Without electronic pestering, without vote canvassing we've had the opportunity to stand at the top, yet never look down on anyone. We only had disagreements with a couple of other bands in all the many gigs and festivals we've played. We've shared our "headline" dressing rooms with other bands, we've refused to sign contracts that call other bands "support". We've stuck around to watch the whole festival rather than just appear for our slot. We've worked out how to do the fastest sound check on earth to make sure everyone else gets a turn. We played shorter sets when the festival was running late. We've seen every gig we do with another band as an evening of entertainment rather than our own showcase. A couple of times that attitude has been abused, but for the most part it's worked.

NOW

While of course I wish to apologise to all friends and supporters of the band who will surely be disapointed by this sudden announcement just before some scheduled gigs, of all the people I wish to apologise to, it's IO Earth. They are a true "heart and soul" investment band who work their bollocks off to do what they do. One stressful night in Leicester they managed to save the day for The Tangent and it makes me kick myself that I have to let them down on a tour that they enthusiastically promoted and worked hard for. I have spoken about this with them and in place of the full Tangent show, Guy Manning and I will do 4 special one off shows with IO Earth on all those dates. This set is well overdue. The set will feature songs from our intertwining careers which reach back over 25 years and will be rehearsed here at home making the trip at least possible if not profitable. I sincerely hope Tangent fans will still support the events and help to make this a profitable tour for IO Earth and the fantastic promoters that risk everything to keep prog alive in the UK.

THE FUTURE

People who know our songs know that "the future finds you" rather than any other way around. It's ironic, but during this very difficult and stressful time I have been writing some of the most ambitious music in the band's history. I hope to release Tangent album number 7 next year. Other than a few demo parts I never had the chance to get anyone from the band onto the recordings. I intend to find musicians who can help me complete this recording and I hope that with those musicians I can build the essence and workable framework of a new Tangent closer to home and thereby more practical.. The Y-Prog festival date next year is still in my diary and I fully intend to honour that commitment. Luke and Dan will of course continue the development of their excellent band Maschine and I wish them every success for the future.

THE PAST

At this crucial point I need to stress that all musicians involved since the inception of the UK band, (in order of appearance) Guy Manning, Jonathan Barrett, Theo Travis, Paul Burgess, Mike Gilbourne, Luke Machin, Tony Latham, Nick Rickwood & Dan Mash have provided the best moments of the Tangent's career to date. Sally Collyer has been a true brick in organising everything. All of them have been amazing, highly skilled and enthusiastic players and to lose them in this horrible way is heartbreaking. It is with seriously twisted lip that I remember that flying Beardfish in from Sweden on Ryanair to play with The Tangent at Summers End 2008 cost less money than it costs the current Tangent line-up to meet in London.

THE FUTURE NOW

I believe that I have earned the mandate to continue releasing music under the name The Tangent hopefully without the hurls of "tribute band" levelled at some bands who don't have the 'right' player. I accept that for many people the name has now become synonymous with the people currently in the band but I beg to suggest that the music has a continuity since that first album 10 years ago. The Swedish band had to be dissolved owing to running costs and impracticalities in 2008, and it now appears that the same thing has to happen here. I'll be rebuilding the Tangent. For now, I'll keep you posted on developments - there are over 2 hours of music written for the Tangent name already. This is an ongoing story, as it always has been.

Best to all

Andy

Looks like Tangent VII is on hold until a new band can be formed... sad  :'( :'( :'(

-Marc.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
That really sucks but its understandable. Comm was a great album and I was looking forward to hearing new stuff from this lineup.

Tony Latham posted this on the comment thread on Facebook:
"All I can say to this statement guys and girls is there is more to the break up than meets the eye.. Me Luke Machin and Dan will be making our own statement. Meanwhile can I just say from the bottom of my heart a sincere thank you for being great fans friends etc its been a pleasure to play for you all xx"

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 07:09:01 PM »
Here's the new lineup for the next album "La Sacre Du Tavail":
Andy Tillison - keys, vocals
Jonathan Barrett - bass
Jakko Jaksyk - guitar
Theo Travis - sax, flute
Gavin Harrison - drums
David Longdon (Big Big Train singer) - vocals

and a demo by Tillison and Barrett:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wkOgivtLy_U

This is going to be so good. Gavin Harrison on drums!  :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
Here's the new lineup for the next album "La Sacre Du Tavail":
Andy Tillison - keys, vocals
Jonathan Barrett - bass
Jakko Jaksyk - guitar
Theo Travis - sax, flute
Gavin Harrison - drums
David Longdon (Big Big Train singer) - vocals

and a demo by Tillison and Barrett:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wkOgivtLy_U

This is going to be so good. Gavin Harrison on drums!  :biggrin:

David Longdon AND Gavin Harrison, as well as a few Tangent alum?! OH MAN this is going to be goooooooood! Contender for AOTY for 2013, for SURE.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
Gavin Harrison on drums? and Jakko returning to the lineup? As much as I was disappointed about the previous lineup dissolving, this is  Awesome!!!  :biggrin:

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
Andy Tillison just announced that Jonas Reingold has rejoined on bass, replacing Jonathan Barrett. I like Barrett but I'm a bigger fan of Reingold so this is great news!!
The Tangent are very happy indeed to announce that Jonas Reingold will return to the project for the forthcoming album "Le Sacre Du Travail". Jonas, who is a founder member of The Tangent and has played on 4 studio and 2 live albums with the band in the past. For the majority of prog music fans he needs no introduction, the charismatic and acrobatic bass virtuoso from the Flower Kings and Karmakanik has established himself at the top of the prog virtuosos list over the past 15 years. Jonas' return also heralds the first ever collaboration between himself and Gavin Harrison (drums) - a mouthwatering treat for rhythm section enthusiasts the world over. The recording project has been a lot of fun and Jonas has contributed all the bass to all the pieces - this is not a cameo appearance. His involvement with The Tangent does not affect his position with any other artists, Jonas has just returned home from a highly successful tour with The Flower Kings. During that tour all of us decided to keep his name a secret in order to keep the focus on those gigs. Tangent illuminatii will now realise that this new album features a very similar lineup to "Not As Good As The Book". The Tangent Website www.thetangent.org has much more information and a new snippet where for the rest of today you can hear the new band with all personnel for the very first time. Jonas may well join us here, but at this precise moment he's on a tourbus somewhere between Hamburg and Copenhagen. It is F***ing great to have him back.

The Tangent Lineup for this album is therefore: (in order of joining the LSDT project)
Andy Tillison (Po90 & Big Big Train collaborator) - Vocals, Electronic Guitars & Keyboards
Theo Travis (Steve Wilson Band, Soft Machine, Gong) - Saxes, Flutes & Clarinet
Jakko Jakszyk (King Crimson Projekt, Level 42, Kompendium etc) - Lead Guitar & Vocals
David Longdon (Big Big Train) Vocal Arrangements and Vocals
Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree, Stickmen, King Crimson) - Drums
Jonas Reingold (The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Karmakanik) - Bass Guitar
With special guest Rikard Sjoblom (Beardfish, Gungfly, Bootcut) - Spoken Voice

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
What a rhythm section!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline darkshade

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
This is awesome news!!! What a lineup. It's too bad the COMM lineup couldn't do another album, especially that guitarist they had, but this will do. Big smile

Although, I thought the bassist who was on Down and Out In Paris and London came back. Guess not, and Jonas is better anyway. The man should claim the title of "Hardest Working Man in Show Business" from James Brown.

Great, great news!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:11 AM »
I still can't get over how awesome The Canterbury Sequence is; love the vibe in that tune! :coolio

Looks like I will finally be getting around to checking out COMM here real soon. :hat

Offline darkshade

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
I still can't get over how awesome The Canterbury Sequence is; love the vibe in that tune! :coolio

Looks like I will finally be getting around to checking out COMM here real soon. :hat

Yes. Do. It's one of their best albums by far.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
COMM is my second favorite Tangent album after The Music That Died Alone. Too bad Luke Machin left the band as he was incredible.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »
COMM is certainly one of their best albums. I like it slightly better than their previous effort Down And Out In Paris And London, although the opening epic of that album "Where Are They Now?" is a great call-back to prior Tangent works, and a great epic (despite the fade-out).

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
COMM is certainly one of their best albums. I like it slightly better than their previous effort Down And Out In Paris And London, although the opening epic of that album "Where Are They Now?" is a great call-back to prior Tangent works, and a great epic (despite the fade-out).

-Marc.

I actually have a soft spot for Down and Out In Paris and London, as it was my first Tangent album; and yes, Where Are They Now? is an awesome epic. My least favorite is actually Not As Good As The Book, but it's still a great album.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

STATEMENT FROM INSIDEOUT/CENTURY MEDIA TUE 7/5/13

On the 24th June 2013, InsideOut Music is set to release the seventh studio album by The Tangent entitled Le Sacre Du Travail (The Rite Of Work). The album is the group's first fully blown "concept album" but band-leader Andy Tillison is keen to point out that this concept is something that involves all of us now rather than a rambling fiction.

Formed from a single hour long piece of music in 5 movements and referred to by the band as "An Electric Sinfonia" based around a working day of a typical Western-world citizen, the album has a very personal feel. It's highly orchestral and 20th century classical in tone, very much inspired by Stravinsky's The Rite Of Spring. Described by INSIDEOUT CEO Thomas Waber as "A very mature album" with "Stellar Musicianship" - this album sees the lineup of The Tangent revert to an earlier formation, Andy Tillison (composer/keyboards/singer) again bringing on board Jonas Reingold on bass (The Flower Kings, Karmakanic), Jakko M Jakszyk on guitar & vocals (King Crimson, Level 42), Theo Travis on wind instruments (Soft Machine, Steve Wilson Band) with the new additions of Gavin Harrison on drums (Porcupine Tree) & David Longdon on vocal harmonies (Big Big Train). In addition there are cameo appearances by Rikard Sjoblom (Beardfish) and Guy Manning amongst others.

The Tangent add to the statement:
The artwork for the outside cover you see here, is by a remarkable gentleman named Martin Stephen. The interior artwork will be announced & featured extensively later.
Much more info on the Tangent Website updated today (please allow for bizarreness) www.thetangent.org And of course regular Pre-Ordering begins today!

Look out for more information on the album in the coming weeks!
https://progarchy.com/2013/05/07/new-tangent-ready-for-pre-order/

I hope the music is as good as the cover! I said the same about the new Spock's Beard, and that album certainly was as great as the artwork. I'm sure that will be the case for this album, too.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »
I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in a Tangent Survivor starting in late August? It'll have been enough time since LSDT's release that it'll be a good time to do one, but I'd like at least a few (4 or more) members here participating.

Also - looking forward to receiving this album and it's companion album! So glad I saved up for the pre-pre-order!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »

Also - looking forward to receiving this album and it's companion album!
-Marc.

What???