Author Topic: Looks like DT has already begun the process of writing the new album!  (Read 24851 times)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Guys, look at who tweeted that. JP can write music in his sleep. He writes music every time he holds a guitar. He comes up with a riff and calls it writing a song. I remember he wrote the main riff for TITL while he was developing his pedal for TC Electronic. He could have been in the bathroom writing music. I imagine we'll see the new disc sometime around the end of summer next year. They have to come off tour to record. I get the feeling this is how they've always written. Come up with ideas on the road (probably while jamming sound checks)....come off tour....record....release. Nothing's new about this.

All that being said.... I'm still  :yarr :hefdaddy :metal :corn
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline nikatapi

I really can't wait to hear what the guys will come up with!
But i hope they have better production this time, more dynamic and with a better drum mix-sound

Offline lyfeternl

Guys, look at who tweeted that. JP can write music in his sleep. He writes music every time he holds a guitar. He comes up with a riff and calls it writing a song. I remember he wrote the main riff for TITL while he was developing his pedal for TC Electronic. He could have been in the bathroom writing music. I imagine we'll see the new disc sometime around the end of summer next year. They have to come off tour to record. I get the feeling this is how they've always written. Come up with ideas on the road (probably while jamming sound checks)....come off tour....record....release. Nothing's new about this.

All that being said.... I'm still  :yarr :hefdaddy :metal :corn

That's where they got the opening sounds of BTS I'm pretty sure...    :neverusethis:

@OP: So looking forward to the "new album" process! I'm excited to hear MM's personal contribution.  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline phentalmyst

I get the feeling this is how they've always written. Come up with ideas on the road (probably while jamming sound checks)....come off tour....record....release. Nothing's new about this.

i disagree. the band has stated numerous times (MP especially) that they would enter the studio without any pre-planned ideas, save for a few things JP would bring in (IE: wither). they've gone further to say it was impossible for them to jam during soundchecks, especially during the evening with shows, because they had to stay on top of the massive list of songs they were rotating.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
I get the feeling this is how they've always written. Come up with ideas on the road (probably while jamming sound checks)....come off tour....record....release. Nothing's new about this.

i disagree. the band has stated numerous times (MP especially) that they would enter the studio without any pre-planned ideas, save for a few things JP would bring in (IE: wither). they've gone further to say it was impossible for them to jam during soundchecks, especially during the evening with shows, because they had to stay on top of the massive list of songs they were rotating.
JP has said that on this new tour, they've jammed a lot more at sound checks since they didn't need to rehearse new material for a show because of the changing setlists. Since the setlists stay the same the majority of the time, this frees their soundcheck up for them to do whatever they want.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline lyfeternl

JP has said that on this new tour, they've jammed a lot more at sound checks since they didn't need to rehearse new material for a show because of the changing setlists. Since the setlists stay the same the majority of the time, this frees their soundcheck up for them to do whatever they want.

I think i'll take a near-similar setlist + jamming during sound-checks over rotating setlists any day!  :biggrin:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Madman Shepherd

I think i'll take a near-similar setlist + jamming during sound-checks over rotating setlists any day!  :biggrin:

I second that!

Offline soulburner

I really can't wait to hear what the guys will come up with!
But i hope they have better production this time, more dynamic and with a better drum mix-sound

Agreed. I like the dynamics of the HDTracks release of ADTOE, but the drums really are too low in the mix... or just the guitars too loud? Anyway, there is some room for improvement ;)
Maybe Steven Wilson should produce it? :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

I second that!

Especially If we get an album like SFAM or 6DOIT out of it.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

I second that!

Especially If we get an album like SFAM or 6DOIT out of it.

Hell yeah! If they write on the road and get all the songs ready, all they have to do is jump in the studio, fine-tune them, and record. They'll get it out much sooner then.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
^By tomorrow I hope. I would like that.

Offline darkshade

It's true. If they have all or most of their material ready to record before they go into the studio, it will be a much quicker process, more time can be spent fine-tuning the songs if need be, and the record can be released much sooner than expected.

Offline contest_sanity

Can't wait to see what Mangini comes up with, I'd like to see what he could bring to the table.
James Hetfield already has a monopoly on the table; Mangini should probably just stick to drums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Can't wait to see what Mangini comes up with, I'd like to see what he could bring to the table.
James Hetfield already has a monopoly on the table; Mangini should probably just stick to drums.

*snicker snicker* :lol

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
Doesn't the label sorta plan out how often/when a band's album comes out though?

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
Each era of the band is so incredibly recognizable. When DS joined the band and FII came out, it was a profound change. When Jordan joined, there was yet another profound sound change and direction. When MM came on board, the band did have a sense of change but it hasn't been fully realized. I think once this new album comes out that is when the new era will truly be ushered in for DT imo. We'll get to hear what this band comes up with as a whole and my bet is it's going to not only be truly different, but it's going to blow us away in the best of ways. I can't wait!

Completely agree with this.  Mike Mangini has the skills to pay the bills, and I can't wait to see what his mind comes up on the next album.

Thirding this! Can't wait to hear how Mangini influences the flavor of the divine musical jambalaya that is Dream Theater :3

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Doesn't the label sorta plan out how often/when a band's album comes out though?

No, not really.  Once the album is in the can, there is a general 10-week marketing/production cycle that follows.  Sometimes, and album will get pushed out a bit further if the band or label wants it to coincide with a tour or some other event, or if they want to avoid releasing concurrently with another big release that may distract from initial sales.  But generally, it is my understanding that the label does not have much control over the release date.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lyfeternl

Each era of the band is so incredibly recognizable. When DS joined the band and FII came out, it was a profound change. When Jordan joined, there was yet another profound sound change and direction. When MM came on board, the band did have a sense of change but it hasn't been fully realized. I think once this new album comes out that is when the new era will truly be ushered in for DT imo. We'll get to hear what this band comes up with as a whole and my bet is it's going to not only be truly different, but it's going to blow us away in the best of ways. I can't wait!

Completely agree with this.  Mike Mangini has the skills to pay the bills, and I can't wait to see what his mind comes up on the next album.

Thirding this! Can't wait to hear how Mangini influences the flavor of the divine musical jambalaya that is Dream Theater :3

That is just awesome. I have never hungered for DT quite so eloquently  ;)

Offline TL

This is very exciting. Both because they're already writing for the next album, and because they seem to be switching up the process a bit. They really have seemed creatively refreshed since MM joined.

Offline champbassist

Twelve More Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

So does that mean it'll be a quadruple album?

The epicness of that concept is incomprehensible to my human brain.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

260 minutes of awesome.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!

260 minutes of awesome.
Holy shit. That would be unreal.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Though a 260 minute quadrouple album would almost be overkilling it a little I'd like something speciall out of their next album. Like a concept album or a double album. Every album since Train of Thought has "just" been an "ordinary" album and it would be fun with something different again.

Did I use the word album to many times? Perhaps album.

Offline Mladen

I'd like an album just as awesome as ADTOE. If that's not too much to ask.  ;D

Offline GasparXR

Though a 260 minute quadrouple album would almost be overkilling it a little I'd like something speciall out of their next album. Like a concept album or a double album. Every album since Train of Thought has "just" been an "ordinary" album and it would be fun with something different again.

Did I use the word album to many times? Perhaps album.

Yeah, 260 minutes is stretching it, MAYBE a 180-minute album, that's how long their live releases are. But I would be fine with another ~75-minute disc as always, they always do something new on each album anyway.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
People on these boards are always orgasming over possible gimmicks for DT's next album. "DT's next album should be Metropolis Part 3, a septuple album with all lyrics by John Myung and an instrumental 5th disc and featuring a guest appearance by The Count of Tuscany", etc.

I don't want a gimmick. Gimmicks haven't worked well for DT in the past; I don't want DT to go into the studio saying "we're going to write the heaviest/proggiest/longest album ever". This has been their studio approach since TOT and the music has suffered for it.

I just want them to write a lot of music and put it on a disc so everybody will be happy.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I just want them to write a lot of music and put it on a disc so everybody will be happy.

This is what I wish as well, and I'm VERY sure that whenever they enter the core of the writing process this will be exactly their mindset.  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline GasparXR

People on these boards are always orgasming over possible gimmicks for DT's next album. "DT's next album should be Metropolis Part 3, a septuple album with all lyrics by John Myung and an instrumental 5th disc and featuring a guest appearance by The Count of Tuscany", etc.

I don't want a gimmick. Gimmicks haven't worked well for DT in the past; I don't want DT to go into the studio saying "we're going to write the heaviest/proggiest/longest album ever". This has been their studio approach since TOT and the music has suffered for it.

You realize that the new album suddenly not having a gimmick is technically a gimmick, right?

:neverusethis:

Offline lyfeternl

I believe the term you meant to say was "longiest"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!

This. Who needs all kinds of gimmicks and stuff - DT's albums are awesome enough on their own.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Looks like DT has already begun the process of writing the new album!
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
MAYBE a 180-minute album, that's how long their live releases are. But I would be fine with another ~75-minute disc as always, they always do something new on each album anyway.

180 minutes - 1 minute for every DEGREE the direction has changed from their last 4 albums.

They can call it 180 degrees of direction.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
MAYBE a 180-minute album, that's how long their live releases are. But I would be fine with another ~75-minute disc as always, they always do something new on each album anyway.

180 minutes - 1 minute for every DEGREE the direction has changed from their last 4 albums.

If we are discussing 180 degrees, are you suggesting they write an album revolving solely around SC's Repentance...?   :neverusethis:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2012, 04:52:26 PM »
Id be happy with a 30 minute album if the music kicked ass.

edit: however, BITS and BAI feel like 2 minute songs because they flow so perfectly.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:47 PM »

"Half Circle" then?

Id be happy with a 30 minute album if the music kicked ass.

edit: however, BITS and BAI feel like 2 minute songs because they flow so perfectly.

I think if they wrote an awesome 40-60 minute album, it'd be ballsy and different enough. Have an album with one epic (side-long of course), then do 3-4 more songs totaling 18-25 minutes.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »
I wish they'd throw the "we need to make sure we do x" mentality away. I appreciate the heavy songs on ADToE, and I feel they were done masterfully. I just want them to make the music that comes to them. Dream Theater owes me, as a fan, no favors. I want to hear what inspires you, not what you think you are obligated to do for me.