Poll

Your Thoughts?

F# is the highlight of the song. That's it.
32 (23%)
I don't care for the F#, the song itself matters most.
68 (48.9%)
LTL is nothing without F# and F# is nothing without LTL.
31 (22.3%)
You know, LTL is the song I've never cared. So, screw it.
8 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Obsession About F Sharp  (Read 12626 times)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

Re: Obsession About F Sharp
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
The wfs reprise is my favorite part of Ltl.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2012, 10:15:21 PM »
You tell me if he sang this good. And this is one of the few times he was recorded sounding halfway decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1V1brkWNQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Other honorable mention is how he sang most of the Budokan DVD flat. Even in recording there is autotune involved. I mean am I the only one in this site who thinks that JLB is not that good of a singer? Because outside of this site (or this thread at least) most agree with me.

You say he is not capable singer and always come up with his off-night performances which I think "Another Day" from LSFAM is quite good and L@B is overall pretty well-performed to me. Agreed, it differs one to one but what you are doing is just unfair.

Most youtube and live DVD performances I've seen he rarely sings on pitch, or can't hit the high notes from the record. I have quite a few friends that are DT fans and all of them agree that JLB is not a good singer. But I can't see anyone else singing for DT. His singing is indeed part of the DT charm.

Back on topic, I like LTL F# or not. I never really paid much attention to that note until I read this thread. It's nice, but I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
You tell me if he sang this good. And this is one of the few times he was recorded sounding halfway decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1V1brkWNQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Other honorable mention is how he sang most of the Budokan DVD flat. Even in recording there is autotune involved. I mean am I the only one in this site who thinks that JLB is not that good of a singer? Because outside of this site (or this thread at least) most agree with me.

You say he is not capable singer and always come up with his off-night performances which I think "Another Day" from LSFAM is quite good and L@B is overall pretty well-performed to me. Agreed, it differs one to one but what you are doing is just unfair.

Most youtube and live DVD performances I've seen he rarely sings on pitch, or can't hit the high notes from the record.
I can't think of very many prog singers who A) sing many high notes on record and B) are able to consistently hit those high notes live. I won't lie and say that JLB is a consistently great singer -- he's not -- but it's just not accurate to say that he "rarely" sings on pitch in "most Youtube and live DVD performances".

In the video you posted, he's actually remarkably in tune for the vast majority of the piece (with the few exceptions being the highest notes, but they're extremely challenging and not very common). Like I mentioned above, his performance on the entire LSFNY DVD / CD is extremely good, especially considering the length of that set. I honestly can't help but think that you're looking at his performance with -- what's the opposite of rose-colored glasses? Mud-colored glasses?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »
what's the opposite of rose-colored glasses? Mud-colored glasses?

Tis BOOLsheet glasses.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2012, 01:12:14 AM »

Tis BOOLsheet glasses.
Hey, if you mean that Tis BOOLsheet glasses are crystal clear, not rose or mud colored, then I agree!  :lol

For the record, 1neeto's last post was spot on and I agree with it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2012, 01:41:51 AM »

Tis BOOLsheet glasses.
Hey, if you mean that Tis BOOLsheet glasses are crystal clear, not rose or mud colored, then I agree!  :lol

Obviously that's not what I meant. Must be them mud coloured glasses affecting your reading comprehension too. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2012, 10:57:17 AM »
It's the climax of the song, even though the last chorus is very climactic too, but let's say that it's still one of my favorite songs even if you count James' bad nights back in the nineties where he simply never even went back on stage to sing the whole passage.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:03 AM »

Tis BOOLsheet glasses.

Obviously that's not what I meant. Must be them mud coloured glasses affecting your reading comprehension too. :biggrin:
:tup