Author Topic: Don't Look Past Me  (Read 3379 times)

Offline namgalsipsclar

Don't Look Past Me
« on: April 24, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »
When was this recorded? I know it has Moore on keyboards, but LaBrie sounds more(to me) like his post-food poisoning self, and correct me if i'm wrong but I thought Moore left before the incident happened.
I only recently heard this song for the first time and I've gotta say its an absolute gem :biggrin:

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Re: Don't Look Past Me
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »
The music was recorded in January or Febuary of 1990, at a time when the band was working with vocalist Jon Hendricks.  When the band wanted to make a compilation of all their non-album tracks in 1999 (the Cleaning Out The Closet fan-club cd), they re-recorded the vocal tracks with James, so his vocals on that song are from the SFAM era, even though the music was recorded during the I&W sessions.

Incidentally, they did record a demo of the song in 1991 when James first joined the band, but that recording is of rather poor quality, though you can still find it on the Antiquities bootleg.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
The music was recorded in January or Febuary of 1990, at a time when the band was working with vocalist Jon Hendricks.  When the band wanted to make a compilation of all their non-album tracks in 1999 (the Cleaning Out The Closet fan-club cd), they re-recorded the vocal tracks with James, so his vocals on that song are from the SFAM era, even though the music was recorded during the I&W sessions.

Incidentally, they did record a demo of the song in 1991 when James first joined the band, but that recording is of rather poor quality, though you can still find it on the Antiquities bootleg.

I don't mean to doubt you, especially when I don't have the answer off hand, but I am almost 100% positive JLB recorded his vocals on DLPM during the I&W era. I know they definitely were not from 1999.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »

I don't mean to doubt you, especially when I don't have the answer off hand, but I am almost 100% positive JLB recorded his vocals on DLPM during the I&W era. I know they definitely were not from 1999.

Here's the cd cover:

Notice that there are two dates for Don't Look Past Me; the first is for the music, the second is for the vocals, which were re-recorded because the original recording had a different singer, and the only demo of that song with James on vocals was of really low quality.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
Wow, maybe you were right! Sorry about that! I've never actually seen the cover to it.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
The Dark Master is definitely correct. 

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »
I really feel like an idiot! I'm still surprised by that. Thank you for proving me wrong, though, as its something I certainly didn't know before!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
James' voice is impressive on DLPM
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 03:22:09 PM »
It is interesting to compare the JLB version with the John Hendricks version.  My introduction to the song was with the John Hendricks version (slightly different instrument mix btw).  You can tell how James can just elevate a song.  Compare the line "Don't ask how come, ask how high" on each version.