Author Topic: The Ask black_floyd Thread (page 42)  (Read 124680 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The Ask Lonestar Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:11 AM »
OK dudes, I'm off for the next 48 hours or so, let the questions fly while I have the time!!!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »
Alright, this may be too personal, and if you dont want to answer publicly (or through PM) that's totally understandable, but when did you realize, and for how long, were an alcoholic?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2012, 01:13:49 AM »
Alright, this may be too personal, and if you dont want to answer publicly (or PM) that's totally understandable, but when did you realize, and for how long, were an alcoholic?

For the sake of awareness, I will answer this one.  I had my first drink at age twelve. By fifteen I had used pot, coke, speed, mushrooms, and acid.  I basically sought any way to make me not feel.  By my twenties I had settled into speed and booze.  I quit the speed when my kid was born, but picked it up again after the divorce out of sheer depression.  I spent the next five years committing spiritual suicide via those substances.  An event happened which caused me to quit speed, but I still drank, and did nothing to heal the underlying causes.  My drinking escalated to a point where a standard night was 8 to 10 rounds of Bud and double Jager shots, so around 25 to thirty drinks a night.(my best friend was the bartender, I always got huge pours).  This went on for four years or so, and I knew I was an alcoholic but I had accepted my fate.  It was only when my body gave out and I spent a week in the ICU almost dying that I knew something had to change.  In all honesty, I may have only drank alcoholicly for the last ten years or so, but the mindset was there since I was a kid, and the genetics were there too, the disease runs in the family.  So really, I have been an alcoholic most of my life, and am still one today, I just don't drink anymore.  I work a solid recovery program through a number of sources, and am slowly making amends to those I harmed through my immense amount of neglect.  Aside from becoming a father, it is the most miraculous thing that has happened to me, and the joy of living builds each day.  I made a point at one of my groups the other day, that waking up now is like finding that one fucking Lego in the huge bag of Lego's that fits the exact spot you need it to.

Damn, need a smoke after that one.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »
I love you Lonestar :heart

You know, like, in the platonic way a 20 year old can love a 42 year old man over the internet who he has never met.

:heart :heart :heart
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2012, 02:25:48 AM »
That's some story, man. Took some balls to write that up, I imagine. You got my respect in a big way. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2012, 02:29:26 AM »
That's inspirational, lonestar.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »
That's some story, man. Took some balls to write that up, I imagine. You got my respect in a big way.

The more I accept my past, the further I will go in the future. I have no problem sharing my story, if only for helping out others from falling into the same pit I did.  This forum means so much to me, it is my little escape zone when "out there" gets fucking hairy, and it does that often, but more important, is when it gets hairy between my ears, that's when I need you guys most, and you are always here. :heart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2012, 02:42:45 AM »
 :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2012, 02:44:29 AM »
You're one of biggest dickheads I've ever met and I love ya  :heart

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2012, 02:48:27 AM »
Love you too Nem. :heart

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:47 AM »
OK, gotta crash soon.  Let's make sure I wake up to something to answer, and let's have some fun ones too.  I'm all for honesty and sharing, but I need to sneak some laughs in there too.  Night bitches.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 02:58:16 AM »
Night cupcake!

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2012, 03:04:57 AM »
Alright, this may be too personal, and if you dont want to answer publicly (or PM) that's totally understandable, but when did you realize, and for how long, were an alcoholic?

For the sake of awareness, I will answer this one.  I had my first drink at age twelve. By fifteen I had used pot, coke, speed, mushrooms, and acid.  I basically sought any way to make me not feel.  By my twenties I had settled into speed and booze.  I quit the speed when my kid was born, but picked it up again after the divorce out of sheer depression.  I spent the next five years committing spiritual suicide via those substances.  An event happened which caused me to quit speed, but I still drank, and did nothing to heal the underlying causes.  My drinking escalated to a point where a standard night was 8 to 10 rounds of Bud and double Jager shots, so around 25 to thirty drinks a night.(my best friend was the bartender, I always got huge pours).  This went on for four years or so, and I knew I was an alcoholic but I had accepted my fate.  It was only when my body gave out and I spent a week in the ICU almost dying that I knew something had to change.  In all honesty, I may have only drank alcoholicly for the last ten years or so, but the mindset was there since I was a kid, and the genetics were there too, the disease runs in the family.  So really, I have been an alcoholic most of my life, and am still one today, I just don't drink anymore.  I work a solid recovery program through a number of sources, and am slowly making amends to those I harmed through my immense amount of neglect.  Aside from becoming a father, it is the most miraculous thing that has happened to me, and the joy of living builds each day.  I made a point at one of my groups the other day, that waking up now is like finding that one fucking Lego in the huge bag of Lego's that fits the exact spot you need it to.

So proud of you! I made a year clean last Monday. Okay I need to try and go back to sleep. Had a really shitty day and brain hates to sleep.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 03:40:52 AM »
lonestar, you're a pretty inspirational guy you know.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2012, 04:01:50 AM »
1 - You have two hours booked on the holodeck. What program do you run? It can be anything from playing a game of pong against an Olympic champion, to a sex fantasy with literally limitless hookers. I won't judge. It's your holodeck time.

2 - After an incident with some Libyans, you are inadvertently sent back to 1955, with no chance of ever getting back. How do you live out the rest of your existence? Will you just blend in, or exploit your knowledge of the future in some way for fame and fortune, or even just to help mankind? (And don't just take the cheap way out and say you'd invest in Amiga computers and answering machines)

3 - Hypothetically speaking, let's say that there is some scenario where you have to break an existing Guinness world record within the next year, or else you will die. You are free to use this next year to work towards this goal, and train for whatever it is in any way you see fit. What record will you go after? Keep in mind there are plenty of pointless records you could go after, like the longest distance ridden backwards on a unicycle while balancing an egg on a spoon, or you could just go for the world's fattest man if that's what floats your boat. Choose whatever you want. But your life depends on you breaking that record. Be realistic here.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2012, 06:00:34 AM »

So proud of you! I made a year clean last Monday. Okay I need to try and go back to sleep. Had a really shitty day and brain hates to sleep.

And I of you,  one year is some serious time, keep up the great work Akasha!!!!

Blob, great questions, I'll get to them in a few hours when I'm a bit more awake.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 06:12:48 AM »
so my question goes:
do you thing you had enough sleep?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2012, 06:25:38 AM »
Another question: Taking into account Schopenhauer's view of aiming low so that when bad things happen one doesn't get disappointed and when good things happen you can be surprised, and relating that to Kant's belief that one should think autonomously and free of dictates of external authority, who do you think will win the NBA championship this year?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2012, 06:26:23 AM »
Have you met/ know any famous people?  If so, who?

Follow up, any famous person you would you like to meet?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2012, 06:39:26 AM »
How did you come to find/join DTF?  And, did you know any DTF'rs before joining?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2012, 07:49:28 AM »
1 - You have two hours booked on the holodeck. What program do you run? It can be anything from playing a game of pong against an Olympic champion, to a sex fantasy with literally limitless hookers. I won't judge. It's your holodeck time.

2 - After an incident with some Libyans, you are inadvertently sent back to 1955, with no chance of ever getting back. How do you live out the rest of your existence? Will you just blend in, or exploit your knowledge of the future in some way for fame and fortune, or even just to help mankind? (And don't just take the cheap way out and say you'd invest in Amiga computers and answering machines)

3 - Hypothetically speaking, let's say that there is some scenario where you have to break an existing Guinness world record within the next year, or else you will die. You are free to use this next year to work towards this goal, and train for whatever it is in any way you see fit. What record will you go after? Keep in mind there are plenty of pointless records you could go after, like the longest distance ridden backwards on a unicycle while balancing an egg on a spoon, or you could just go for the world's fattest man if that's what floats your boat. Choose whatever you want. But your life depends on you breaking that record. Be realistic here.

1- After recreating some choice time with the lovely Grace Park above, I would recreate The Who's performance of Tommy at the Isle of Wight show with front row tickets.
2- Using my handy 2012 sports almanac I so conveniently had in my pocket, I would make a ton of cash, I mean a fucking ton of cash.  Then I would privatize space travel and ensure that the space race didn't stop at the moon, but that we kept exploring outward and outward.
3- Most times consecutively flipping an egg.

so my question goes:
do you thing you had enough sleep?
Never

Another question: Taking into account Schopenhauer's view of aiming low so that when bad things happen one doesn't get disappointed and when good things happen you can be surprised, and relating that to Kant's belief that one should think autonomously and free of dictates of external authority, who do you think will win the NBA championship this year?
Warriors baby!!!

:(

Have you met/ know any famous people?  If so, who?

Follow up, any famous person you would you like to meet?

Two that stand out.....

1- I was taking a piss in the bathroom at the hotel.  A gentleman came in and started using the urinal next to me.  At a glance, I could tell it was Joe Montana.  The only thing I could think was "holy shit, I'm pissing next to Joe Montana."  Obviously, we didn't shake hands.
2- When I was about twelve, my dad took us on a trip to Boston.  We were in the Harvard Sheraton having breakfast, and the only other table in the room was occupied by John Madden.  My dad, being the consumate salesman he is, asked John something about being out there looking at schools for his son.  John picked up his breakfast and walked over to our table and finished it with us.  My dad and him had a long, in depth conversation about a ton of shit, my brother and  I just sat there and looked stupid.

I have a list of people earlier in the thread that I have cooked for too.

The top two on my list(the above mentioned Grace Park wouldn't be bad to meet), would be Pete Townshend and Jon Anderson

How did you come to find/join DTF?  And, did you know any DTF'rs before joining?
I never used the internet till 2008(see above drug addiction and alcoholism).  I had started using it to follow shit on ESPN, and I had a boss at the time who used to tell of the sit that happened on his forum, the VH Links.  Curious, I signed up for my favorite band's forum, Yessongs.  It was slow and boring, so I went to my second favorite band's forum, DTF.  I liked what I saw, then this thread rolled around...
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=6678.0
and I knew I was home.

I didnt know anyone here when joining, though I have since met DTVT, Bosk, H, Fiery Winds, Obscure, Bout to Crash, DTbug(a personal friend, she has three post I think) and beerslayer(he's my buddy, a registered member though I still don't think the fucker has posted yet)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:55:26 AM by lonestar »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »
1. What would you consider the best year of your life so far?

2. How long have you been working at your current restaurant?

3. Do you ever take vacation time? And if so where do you go?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
1. What would you consider the best year of your life so far?

2. How long have you been working at your current restaurant?

3. Do you ever take vacation time? And if so where do you go?

1- Though this last year has been awesome, my best was easily the period around '95 and '96.  That was when my daughter was about two to three, and was changing and growing everyday.  We were thick as thieves at that time, and constantly had fun together.  I can't see any period of my life to come, maybe with the exception of being a grandparent, that could come close to watching the one I love most learn about the world.

2- I will have been there eight years next month, and will be there for a long time.  It is a good, steady, union gig, and in my business, those are hard to come by.

3- My vacations for relaxation are going camping at Sawmill Lake in the Sierra Nevadas.  Sawmill, along with the surrounding lakes, are the most beautiful around, and being with nature is crucial to centering my spirit and replenishing my soul.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
Do you think their are any home cooks that can cook as well as a restaurant chef? If yes, do you know any personally?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »
Ok question about the questions, what's your favourite type of question for this sort of thread? Something deep and profound, something random, something a bit silly?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
Do you think their are any home cooks that can cook as well as a restaurant chef? If yes, do you know any personally?

Definatly.  You gotta remember, there are many skill levels of restaurant chefs, I'm pretty much a middle of the pack type, nowhere near the talent of the Thomas Kellers or Nancy Oakes of the culinary world.  And I'm sure many home cooks are just as talented as me, some even moreso, especially with the way the foodie culture has been booming lately.  My aunt is a fabulous cook, I have stolen many a concept from her, especially her gluten free techniques.  The two worlds are just so different.  That being said, I don't think a home cook could reach the level of the top culinary minds, like those stated above, such skill can only be acquired by making it a career and spending the time learning and honing the skill to perfection.

Ok question about the questions, what's your favourite type of question for this sort of thread? Something deep and profound, something random, something a bit silly?

I'm pretty open about it.  With me, I am a conversation joiner, not a starter.  Get me in a room with shy people, and were going to have a quiet night, but put me with someone who can get the ball rolling, and I'm off to the races.  And silliness is always acceptable, the day I stop playing is the day I want to die.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
Okie doke. I'm gonna go a bit random for now then.

What's your favourite time of year?

What's the most expensive thing you've purchased?

What's one of your secret guilty pleasures?

Are you a morning or evening shower person?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
I got one:

Have you read Kitchen Confidential and if so what did you think of it from a chiefs point of view?

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »
I got one:

Have you read Kitchen Confidential and if so what did you think of it from a chiefs point of view?
I was just about to pop on and ask this.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
Boxers or Briefs?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:15 AM »
Okie doke. I'm gonna go a bit random for now then.

What's your favourite time of year?

What's the most expensive thing you've purchased?

What's one of your secret guilty pleasures?

Are you a morning or evening shower person?
-autumn, I love the weather, and it is the time of year for college football.
-My daughters hospital bill was half a million, does that count(she was in the ICU for 17 days after her birth).  Outside of that, I think I dropped 5k on a car once, I really don't buy big ticket items, most of the crap I buy is under $500.
-Ruffles and french onion dip, or Vermont Cabot white cheddar and Wheat Thins, when I'm in a funk, I'll buy either, get some Coca Cola, and watch back episodes of Firefly, BSG, or Trek in my bed.  Those are my special "fuck the world" moments.
-Morning, I can't get my day started without it.

I got one:

Thanks for the reminder of this classic...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgice3ieZ4

Yes, I have read it, and the follow up, Medium Raw, and loved them both.  In some kitchens, yes, we are that fucking psychotic.  He was a bit over the top with his hatred of popular chef culture, ie Food Network stuff, but chefs are incredibly passionate people, we work hard and we play hard.  In Medium Raw, he is somewhat apologetic for his tone in Kitchen Confidential, but not really, I liked it better than the first myself.  Here is Bourdaine doing a reading of my favorite part from it, had me crying with laughter in a very public place when I first read it, it's about how the movies The Big Red Balloon and Old Yeller ruined his life(please watch this folks, fucking hysterical, especially from 1:30 on, NSFW language)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmgice3ieZ4

Boxers or Briefs?

Tightey whiteys, except mine are usually colored.  I like my boys cradled and safe, not flying to the whims of the universe.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »
I loved those commercials.  They're making shitty movie remakes, they could at least remake awesome commericals.

Also, you posted the same link twice  :loser:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2012, 12:30:53 PM »
What is the ONE item that you could not function without in the kitchen, at work OR at home?

What is the furthest you have ever been from home?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
When I think of San Francisco, two things come immediately to mind, right or wrong:

1) Chinatown
2) Gay men everywhere

What's your impression of Chinatown San Franciso?  In general, specifically the food, and compared to other Chinatowns if possible.

Is the stereotype of San Francisco being a haven for gay guys for real or unfairly exaggerrated?  Is it mostly just certain areas?