Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?  (Read 249568 times)

Offline PolarizeMe

Re: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?
« Reply #2695 on: October 27, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
I heard Sky Blue (the song) today. I don't really understand what people are disliking about SB, if this song is representative of the album. I've already listened to it about two dozen times.

I'm on my first run through of the album and I don't understand why some people dislike the song either. It's one of my favorites off of SB.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2696 on: October 27, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »
Just gave a couple of listens to the albums. So far my ranking is as follows:

Dark Matters (sans narration)
Sky Blue
Dark Matters (with narration)

I'm really digging both albums. Sky Blue might be a little safe but I think it's still very good. Universal Flame, Midnight Sun, Sky Blue, and Silent Militia are all excellent. The rest? Well, I need to listen some more.

Dark Matters has lots of awesome moments, but man the narration is waaaaaay too ubiquitous. Unlike Z1, it interrupts the music way too often and it's just kind of annoying and it's just not funny. The narration-less version is so much better, almost like a different album. War Princess, Deathray, March of the Poozers, and Ziltoid Goes Home are my favorites. Unfortunately, Earth is really repetitive. It might be my least favorite on the two albums.

Overall, I'm very much enjoying this and I was really worried that the typical Devy-hype machine might ruin it for me, but thankfully not!

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2697 on: October 28, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »
So was anyone able to pick up the album today? My local record store says they won't have it until November 10th...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2698 on: October 28, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
I pre-ordered it back in September. Got an email saying it shipped last week. Should be arriving any day now

Offline Basekick

« Reply #2699 on: October 28, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »

I'm really digging both albums. Sky Blue might be a little safe but I think it's still very good. Universal Flame, Midnight Sun, Sky Blue, and Silent Militia are all excellent. The rest? Well, I need to listen some more.

You're missing the best two in there:  A New Reign and Warrior!

Both hit like a ton of bricks.  A New Reign's later half is one of my favorite Devin atmospheres, and Warrior's chorus is simply divine.  All you want to do is soar and swim inside the massive melodies and soundscapes.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2700 on: October 28, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »
My CD arrived on the release date yesterday (I bought it on Amazon with the free one month Prime trial). First impressions, I'm really digging both albums but it's hard for me to say which one of the two I enjoy more. I agree with what some of you said about A New Reign being one of the better songs on Sky Blue. That was the moment when I knew that I was in for a treat.

On Dark Matters, Dimension Z brought me on the verge of tears with the Universal Choir and its epic ending. Currently listening to the raw version and so far I think it flows more like a continuous suite (a la Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson) which I like.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2701 on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:08 AM »
I pre-ordered it back in September. Got an email saying it shipped last week. Should be arriving any day now

This. I was also brilliant in that I ordered from the EU store when I live in Texas. That said, it was a while back and I too receieved notification of shipment a couple weeks ago. I expect it in the next week or two.

I got the t-shirt, frisbees, and the non-commentary DM. I cannot fuckin' wait for it. I also just downloaded the iTunes version just to have it on the go and it sounds fantastic. I do hate the stupidity of iTunes though. No single album artwork, it's just one big Z2. Expected, but still dumbfuck-ish.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2702 on: October 28, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
I listened to both albums once and I have to say: great job.
I both enjoy Sky Blue and Dark Matters after the first listen, Dark Matters I think will take a while to grow on me, though.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: October 28, 2014, 01:32:52 PM »
there seems to be a real rarity to a single singer getting to carry a song on these records — which isn't to knock the sound of the huge group vocals, but more to say they overwhelm almost continuously (especially on Dark Matters), which makes it tough to differentiate anything. for instance, once the band kicks in during "Z2," it's just a constant balls-to-the-wall vocal (and narration) assault until part of "Warrior Princess" breaks it up. the flow is great, but it's a wall of the same thing, whereas Dev is usually much better at creating differentiation — like he did on the first Ziltoid! he may as well have made "Z2," "From Sleep Awake" and "Ziltoidian Empire" one track.

the mix is also hard to listen to for that long; the 'wall' on this record includes the most blatant kick and snare of any Dev mix ever and it makes no sense, especially considering this is the same team (and elements) who mixed Decon 100% clearer and better. i'm glad i can hear RVP in the enormous wash but it's completely nonsensical that i can't figure out what his cymbal work is doing without headphones; he just sounds like a drum machine, which is a disservice to his excellent style.

Sky Blue, tho!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2704 on: October 28, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
there seems to be a real rarity to a single singer getting to carry a song on these records — which isn't to knock the sound of the huge group vocals, but more to say they overwhelm almost continuously (especially on Dark Matters), which makes it tough to differentiate anything. for instance, once the band kicks in during "Z2," it's just a constant balls-to-the-wall vocal (and narration) assault until part of "Warrior Princess" breaks it up. the flow is great, but it's a wall of the same thing, whereas Dev is usually much better at creating differentiation — like he did on the first Ziltoid! he may as well have made "Z2," "From Sleep Awake" and "Ziltoidian Empire" one track.

I totally agree.

One cool things that I noticed on Dark Matters is the Deconstruction nuggets! They're everywhere in the narration parts  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2705 on: October 28, 2014, 09:33:34 PM »
Bought the 3-disc for the hell of it, ripping into iTunes now. I don't suppose anyone has any decent scans of the two album covers? I found a decent one of Sky Blue that has a few jpeg artifacts on Google, but it'll do. I can't find a good one of Dark Matters anywhere.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2706 on: October 29, 2014, 12:05:10 AM »
Bought the 3-disc for the hell of it, ripping into iTunes now. I don't suppose anyone has any decent scans of the two album covers? I found a decent one of Sky Blue that has a few jpeg artifacts on Google, but it'll do. I can't find a good one of Dark Matters anywhere.

actually just added them on Album Art Exchange. voila!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2707 on: October 29, 2014, 12:12:10 AM »
Hell yeah, buddy! I was using the little ones one Wikipedia in the meantime.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2708 on: October 29, 2014, 04:20:02 AM »
Some guy on Twitter spliced Silent Militia with the Dead or Alive song 'You Spin Me Round'. It's amazing  :rollin
https://soundcloud.com/wizfrikiman/dev-or-alive-you-silence-me-round-like-militia

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2709 on: October 29, 2014, 07:00:59 AM »
Ok so it wasn't just me who caught that...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2710 on: October 29, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Yes, I thought it was blatantly obvious. For some reason it's a small reason why SM is probably my least favorite track off SB. I don't dislike the song (or that aspect), but it's definitely lower-tier Devy for me.

RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2711 on: October 29, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
March of the Poozers is so so so good, despite the ridiculous name.

Z2 is such a vast improvement over the first Ziltoid album. It's a lot to take in though, going to require quite a lot of listens! I should probably actually get it on CD rather than just listening on Spotify.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2712 on: October 29, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »
I concur, it's absolutely blown me away (both MOTP and Z2). I'm really addicted to it right now, so much so that I'm forcing a break from it so I don't burn it out. I think the name is awkwardly fitting; it's a perfect stencil for Devy's view of the cheesy hilarity of the metal-scene and yet is still so friggin' badass. It makes me want to go to war wearing a Telletubby outfit.

RIP DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2713 on: October 29, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »
Did anyone else preorder from JSR Merchandising? It hadn't even shipped yet, so I just cancelled my order and ordered through Amazon instead, and I should get it by Friday. God knows how long I would have had to wait otherwise...
Oh, and Amazon was ten dollars cheaper, too.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #2714 on: October 29, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
Still patiently waiting for mine to arrive..

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2715 on: October 29, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
Mine arrived today, immediately. On iTunes  :biggrin:

Sky Blue is pretty great. I'm iffy on the the Z2 section though.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #2716 on: October 30, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »
J
Dark Matters has lots of awesome moments, but man the narration is waaaaaay too ubiquitous. Unlike Z1, it interrupts the music way too often and it's just kind of annoying and it's just not funny. The narration-less version is so much better, almost like a different album. War Princess, Deathray, March of the Poozers, and Ziltoid Goes Home are my favorites. Unfortunately, Earth is really repetitive. It might be my least favorite on the two albums.

Yeah I definitely agree with that, haven't listened to the raw version completely yet, but so far the first Ziltoid is vastly better.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2717 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
YET HEEEERRRRE WE ARE AGGAAAIIIIINNN!!!

RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2718 on: October 30, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
Just finished Dark Matters. I liked it well enough, but there is a bit too much of the narrator and when there isn't narration, the music just chugs on and on. There's barely any room to breath. But I still liked it. "Deathray" and "March Of The Poozers" were my favorite tracks, and I actually laughed at the whole "signing the contract" bit. And was that a bit of the "Tonight I'm letting go" section of "Stand" I heard in part of "Through The Wormhole"?

Sky Blue, you're up!

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2719 on: October 30, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
Well gee.... my love for Sky Blue has totally worn off after about 10 serious listens.
I think it's kind of boring all around... A New Reign is pretty much the only song I really like.

I think it's really the production that would make all the difference.

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #2720 on: October 30, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »
I've been listening to both albums non-stop since the release date. Overall I enjoy Dark Matters a bit more, but Fallout, Universal Flame, Warrior, and Sky Blue are incredible too.

Reading through the first edition of "Lifting Shadows" last night, I found this in the Roll of Honour:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2721 on: October 30, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »
Oh wow.  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2722 on: October 31, 2014, 11:51:57 AM »
Got my amazingly cool Ziltoid shirt, frisbee and 3-CD pack yesterday. It's fucking amazing and it's pretty much embodiment of why I still (rarely, albeit) buy physical albums when I can. The artwork is awesome and I love the lyric booklet, it's nice to have the official lyrics finally (though, surprisingly, I didn't have too many misheard lyrics when I read 'em).

The awesome hasn't worn off one single bit for me; I couldn't chose between either DM or SB, they're both fucking spectacular. The dialog-less DM is really interesting! I'm loving some tracks a lot more than with the dialog (Wandering Eye, Earth and Ziltoid Goes Home especially) and some others aren't changed all that much without it, but I think I do enjoy the dialog-less version a bit more if only for the fact that I'm more often in the mood for the non-humorous musical escapades than I am the rock-opera side. But overall, this is a massive success to me and I really couldn't be happier with what the man has created.

Devy, take a nice, long fuckin' break.

RIP DTP.