Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?  (Read 249266 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?
« Reply #2660 on: October 23, 2014, 02:34:06 AM »
Yeah, Devin doing all the vocals just sounds a lot better on that song IMO. I seem to recall that he once said in an interview that he wasn't entirely happy with the way the vocals were done on the record. Anneke sings them quite softly, and Devin said that in hindsight he wanted them to be a lot louder and powerful, like the way he sings them live.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2661 on: October 23, 2014, 09:20:02 AM »
I like Anneke's soft vocals. It adds that big dynamic between verse and chorus.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2662 on: October 23, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
Dream City!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2663 on: October 23, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
I like Anneke's soft vocals. It adds that big dynamic between verse and chorus.
I always liked Anneke's parts more when she's there to accent the song, don't get me wrong, she has a fantastic voice; but Devy has an amazing voice, and it's a shame that sometimes we get songs that he sings live that are hands down better than the studio version with another singer(IMO)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2664 on: October 23, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
So March Of The Poozers just clicked for me. It was a bit too much for me at first but this is one zany, badass and still hilarious and groovy song. Fuckin' brilliant, the whole thing is just insanity at its finest. I really think I'm going to outrightly love the non-commentary Dark Matters right off the bat. I like it enough, but I prefer my music to stay solitary and the commentary kind of takes me out of that zone and brings in something else. I love that Devy understands this and takes the time to cater to that sect of his fans.

P.S. For the Devy/Marvel fans, use this song as a backdrop for the new Ultron trailer. OMG.  :metal :metal :lol :tup :tup
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:38:58 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2665 on: October 23, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
The final version has leaked as well and gave it a quick comparison.

Sky Blue isn't affected much sonically. The vocals on Fallout are an obvious difference and the low end seems more thunderous throughout the album, but I didn't notice any night and day differences, sounds like the same mix with a little tinkering.

Dark Matters is a different story. The new version is dull and lifeless, as if the goal was to make it as close to Epicloud as possible. Just listen to the new version of Dimension Z, the beautiful choir has been de-beautified. The music has lost most of it's soundscape and sounds narrow. Thank god for the leaked promo version, I'll keep listening to that.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2666 on: October 23, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »
Sky Blue sounded really.. Anonymous to me. Just more of the same. Devy's signature tricks (especially harmonically and the chords) are getting a bit too familiar.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2667 on: October 23, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Does anybody know if there's any non-live versions (demo, whathaveyou) of Supercrush where it's just Devy handling the vocals. Nothing against Anneke, but when Devy sings it live, he makes that song go from perfect to Supreme Ultra Perfect.

he didn't include its demo on Contain Us, but there is one of "Numbered" with just him singing.

nothing bad about the live versions for your own listening, though, especially not the Live in the USA 2010 songs released as a bonus in that box set (and before that as MP3s through InsideOut as a promo thing). they have a mega-fantastic mix, much better than By a Thread or Retinal.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2668 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »
Will have to find that. As long as the mix is good and it's not primarily "wooing" from the crowd, I could settle for that.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2669 on: October 23, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Dark Matters is a different story. The new version is dull and lifeless, as if the goal was to make it as close to Epicloud as possible. Just listen to the new version of Dimension Z, the beautiful choir has been de-beautified. The music has lost most of it's soundscape and sounds narrow. Thank god for the leaked promo version, I'll keep listening to that.

If that's the case that's extremely disappointing...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2670 on: October 23, 2014, 06:55:41 PM »
He should definitely release 'his' version of Fallout. The melody is awesome and he's singing it perfectly.

I already know what my main problem is with the album, even though I do like it quite a bit. The vocal melodies are just HUGE ALL THE FREAKING TIME. As heavy as it all may be, the vocals take up half of the mix, drenched in FX.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #2671 on: October 23, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
Just in case you guys want a different view of Z2, I posted my track by track view on my thread and on my site:

https://www.thatdrummerguy.com/reviews/the-devin-townsend-project-z
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2672 on: October 23, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »

If that's the case that's extremely disappointing...

Unfortunately, it seems to be the case. The only reason I'm keeping the final mix version is because it has cleaner and more fluid track-to-track transitions, as opposed to the awkward gaps between songs that the old mixes had.

I'll probably get used to it anyway after repeated listens, and grow to like it. Some parts sound better, some parts don't. Such is life, not everything can be perfect

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2673 on: October 23, 2014, 11:34:12 PM »
On a side note, has anyone else noticed all of the re-used orchestral backing tracks from Deconstruction in Dark Matters?
It's pretty cool when you hear them, and they're used pretty subtly to the point where you won't even notice unless you specifically pay attention to the backing orchestra tracks, and then you can pick them out.

There's even a motif from "Ho Krll"  played on trumpet in one of the songs :laugh:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2674 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:15 AM »
I must have some weird ears, cause I really don't hear much of anything you've described in this 'new' leak, Prog and Me7. It just sounds crisper and cleaner (a bit louder in some instances...but not 'loudness war' loud, for clarification) to me. I can definitely hear some fluctuations in the levels of certain instruments and/or vocals but they just sound adjusted to me, I can still hear everything fine, but some things are now more prominent. I also really love the final version of Fallout but I'm definitely keeping the original. Either way, I suppose I'm in the minority considering I have absolutely no problem with the way Epicloud sounds either. The final product (well...I'll have to wait till my order comes in to say for sure I suppose) is superior and the definitive edition, in my earholes.

I'm loving this shit so much more than I initially did though. I can't stop playing March of the Poozers, which sounds much bigger than the old production. Sky Blue sounds infinitely better, especially the song itself; everything just pops out much more to me (especially that groovy dance-like sound during the chorus) (All this to say, I can't find any version above 200k for the old version so of course it sounds inferior no matter what...to me at least; which is a shame cause I'd love a version of old Fallout that is of the same quality as the final version)

EVERYBODY PAYS

P.S. BWAHAHA THE BEGINNING OF WARRIOR! Holy crap that got me good. I won't spoil it but it's cute and awesome. Definitely need to re-listen to the final mix considering there's obviously stuff left out of the old one... Warrior sounds even better. Dat bass beat.

Also, I can't pick out the Ho Krll beat! Share your secrets, Prog!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:31:00 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2675 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »
I haven't heard the new leak yet, but I must say that Fallout was absolutely perfect on the original promo and the fact that he took his voice out of the verses honestly pisses me off, like a lot.

I can't say I agree with the idea that Sky Blue sounds rehashed. Obviously, it's got some Epicloud/Addicted vibes, but he's doing plenty of new-sounding stuff. I mean, Silent Militia, A New Reign, Before We Die, and Rain City all sound plenty "new" to me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2676 on: October 24, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
I liked Casualties of Cool quite a bit, but Ziltoid is probably my least favorite Devin album, and I can't stand his Space Opera Metal with goofy voices and fart sounds. I know some people really love him when he does that, but it's not really my thing. And on top of that it's a 2 hour album. I don't know if I could sit through that. :(

Offline Basekick

« Reply #2677 on: October 24, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »
I liked Casualties of Cool quite a bit, but Ziltoid is probably my least favorite Devin album, and I can't stand his Space Opera Metal with goofy voices and fart sounds. I know some people really love him when he does that, but it's not really my thing. And on top of that it's a 2 hour album. I don't know if I could sit through that. :(

Then wait for the bonus disc which removes all of the narrations from Dark Matters.  I'm in the camp that it'll be the definitive version of the album in the long run.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: October 24, 2014, 09:29:34 AM »

it's only 1 hour of that. the DTP side is a way different beast.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2679 on: October 24, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »

I think you may have misunderstood what Z2 is. Z2 is the title of the entire project; there are two entirely separate, starkly different albums here. It is by definition a 'double-album'. Sky Blue is strictly DTP, no different than any other release in terms of style. Dark Matters is the sequel to the Ziltoid story and is the Ziltoid part of the project; it does have narration, zany, wacky comings and goings and there is indeed a fart in there somewhere (however, it doesn't interrupt the song and is at the very end, so he held it in for us).

It sits at almost exactly an hour long; now, there is a special dialog-less Dark Matters being released that has no commentary at all; I should also mention Devy didn't simply 'take the dialog out'. He's edited parts of songs to flow better, some songs are actually extended a bit with more ambiance, and some tracks aren't even there at all (Through The Wormhole, an almost entirely spoken-word 'song' was taken out). The fact he's done this is pretty incredible to me, the man caters to fans like no other. That said, I think this version is for you; it essentially turns it into a 'normal-produced' DTP album and Devy's stated that he recently listened to it and the experience is totally different.

All that said, I'd give it a chance; at least a quick skim-through listen. I don't like the original Ziltoid all that much either aside from three tracks and Dark Matters, even with the dialog and insanity, still blew me away. Granted, I will without a doubt be listening to the dialog-less album on the regular, but it's much more accessible than the original and the story, to me, is told much better, is a lot more structured and until the end is a bit less prominent. Even so, I can see the special version begin extremely different and I can't wait to hear it.

RIP DTP.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2680 on: October 24, 2014, 10:52:32 AM »
I just listened to Sky Blue for the first time, having received it today and I can't say I'm impressed at all. Definitely needs more time to sink in probably. Then again, I wasn't too impressed with Epicloud either and that album I never listen to anymore. I'm going to check out Dark Matters tomorrow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2681 on: October 24, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »
The fact he's done this is pretty incredible to me, the man caters to fans like no other. That said, I think this version is for you; it essentially turns it into a 'normal-produced' DTP album and Devy's stated that he recently listened to it and the experience is totally different.

I'd rather have a third disc that contains Dark Matters mixed like the review version. The final mix takes a lot of life out of the music, it sounds a lot like Epicloud and Sky Blue now.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2682 on: October 24, 2014, 11:11:50 AM »
Good god, Dark Matters so thoroughly curbstombs the original Ziltoid. It's insane.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2683 on: October 24, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
The fact he's done this is pretty incredible to me, the man caters to fans like no other. That said, I think this version is for you; it essentially turns it into a 'normal-produced' DTP album and Devy's stated that he recently listened to it and the experience is totally different.

I'd rather have a third disc that contains Dark Matters mixed like the review version. The final mix takes a lot of life out of the music, it sounds a lot like Epicloud and Sky Blue now.

Man, I must have a different version.  :lol I seriously just hear the album as louder and not as muffled as v1. Other than that, as much as I've strained to hear any massive levels of sound raised/lowered for the choir, orchestra, etc., I can tell there's changes, but I can still hear everything just fine. That shit intrigues me to no end.  :rollin I've been comparing them on and off since last night and I just don't hear it.

To each their own! I think they turned out fantastic, but again, I don't hear anything wrong with Epicloud or Sky Blue either. I would love a more official version of the Devy-Fallout, but my version is certainly not bad. I think it's amazing he's done as much as he has, this is a behemoth of a project and after all that he thought to himself "Y'know, for those that aren't as much into Ziltoid, I'll go back and edit the album to be more accessible". That's just fuckin' beautiful; it's extra work that he really didn't have to do. I mean, I know none of this he 'has to do', but y'know.

Good god, Dark Matters so thoroughly curbstombs the original Ziltoid. It's insane.

Hell yes it does. Verily. INDEED!  :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #2684 on: October 24, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »

Totally agree.  I've never considered myself much of a fan of the orignal Ziltoid outside of 3 songs (BTO, CYW, The Greys).

Dark Matters, however, is phenomenal.  War Princess, March of the Poozers, and Ziltoid Goes Home are ungodly massive, while the bombastic tone finds itself home through the entire record.  I simply can't wait to hear the non-commentary version.

EDIT:

Gave it another spin, and I'm loving Ziltoid Goes Home even more.  The first 2/3s of the song contains one enormous soundscape in 4/4, then smoothly transitions (with a signature Devin "call to arms" yell) into a totally different sonic wall of beauty but now in 3/4, which just gets me all giddy.  Really well done.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 03:11:41 PM by Basekick »
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline majo

« Reply #2685 on: October 24, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
I'm so psyched for this that I'm almost afraid I will be disappointed  :facepalm:
(haven't heard a note of it yet)
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2686 on: October 24, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »
I got the album today, but I haven't been able to listen to it yet. I will listen tomorrow on my dad's high quality stereo set, should be epic!

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2687 on: October 24, 2014, 08:16:47 PM »
Welp, my ears have adjusted to the final mixes now, and yeah, Dark Matters still fucking crushes  :metal

I must have some weird ears, cause I really don't hear much of anything you've described in this 'new' leak, Prog and Me7. It just sounds crisper and cleaner (a bit louder in some instances...but not 'loudness war' loud, for clarification) to me. I can definitely hear some fluctuations in the levels of certain instruments and/or vocals but they just sound adjusted to me, I can still hear everything fine, but some things are now more prominent. I also really love the final version of Fallout but I'm definitely keeping the original. Either way, I suppose I'm in the minority considering I have absolutely no problem with the way Epicloud sounds either. The final product (well...I'll have to wait till my order comes in to say for sure I suppose) is superior and the definitive edition, in my earholes.

I'm loving this shit so much more than I initially did though. I can't stop playing March of the Poozers, which sounds much bigger than the old production. Sky Blue sounds infinitely better, especially the song itself; everything just pops out much more to me (especially that groovy dance-like sound during the chorus) (All this to say, I can't find any version above 200k for the old version so of course it sounds inferior no matter what...to me at least; which is a shame cause I'd love a version of old Fallout that is of the same quality as the final version)

Also, I can't pick out the Ho Krll beat! Share your secrets, Prog!

Well, its just that the final mix has certain tweaks here and there, whether the vocals are louder, or the guitars are quieter, or what have you. Certain details that stood out in the old mix are buried and lost in the new final version, for example, RVP lays down some crazy ghost-note groovyness into the chorus of Rain City, and it's pretty audible on the early mix, but in the final mix it's pretty much completely buried under everything else. But, on the flipside, there are lots of things that I never heard in the leaked early mix that have been brought to the forefront in the final version (certain keyboard sounds, backing vocals, other details, etc.). Not counting the obvious little things that have been added to Rejoice, Warrior, Silent Militia, and probably other songs that I just haven't noticed yet.

Anyway, the trumpet at the beginning of Earth is playing the melody from Ho Krll's chorus, only briefly though  ;) still a cool little nugget.

Ho Krll was originally intended to be a track on Ziltoid 1, according to what's written in the Contain Us boxset book. It's likely that Dev liked the melody so much, he wanted to at least include it somehow into the sequel, since it was never on Ziltoid, or Decon, or any other official album. He never lets anything go to waste!

After looking at Devin's twitter, I'm starting to worry that he wont stay true to his word and release a final-mix version of Fallout with his verse vocals. It seems like he REALLY hates his voice on that song.  :'(

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2688 on: October 25, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »
I heard Sky Blue (the song) today. I don't really understand what people are disliking about SB, if this song is representative of the album. I've already listened to it about two dozen times.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2689 on: October 27, 2014, 06:47:53 AM »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2691 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »
Major praise to both sky blue and Dark Matters 

I haven't heard anything this incredible in a long ass time.  :hefdaddy

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2692 on: October 27, 2014, 10:40:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/525640248240254976

That's heavy... devy.
Major Z2 story spoilers there if anyone cares.

It is indeed pretty obvious when heard, but I love that I was right in assuming that. So fucking amazing. I love this man's mind.

March of the Poozers is by far and away my favorite song off Z2 as a whole. I did not expect that! Bwaha.

RIP DTP.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2693 on: October 27, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »
Not completely sure what to think of Z2 yet, but I've only had two listens so far, and all Devin's albums take a while to sink in. Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/525640248240254976

That's heavy... devy.

...I suspected it, but it's awesome to have it confirmed. Wow.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2694 on: October 27, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »
After repeated listens, Sky Blue is really starting to wear me out. And I wasn't sure why until I went back and listened to Deconstructed and Epicloud as sort of a "palette cleanse" after making myself sick of Z2.

There's just almost no room to breathe on Sky Blue whatsoever, the wall of sound "rock meter cranked up to 11" atmosphere never goes away until Rain City, nearly 40 minutes into the album. There just needs to be a quiet ballad somewhere, probably in between A New Reign and Universal Flame, just to give the listener a breather and a chance to cool down after being red hot since the start of track 1.

Devin is usually really good about pacing in his albums, Epicloud had a soft 4 minute ballad after 15 minutes of RAAWK, and then another one 10 minutes later, and again one last quick quiet passage after 10 more minutes of metal before the big loud finale.
Even Deconstruction took little pauses here and there in the midst of those long 6-10 minute metal onslaughts to give the track a little bit of dynamic, even if the break only lasted for a minute or so.

That's my only complaint with Sky Blue. It's a bit too much to take in for one full listen. I always end up having to turn it off somewhere near Silent Militia before I come back and finish it out.

Great songs though.