Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?  (Read 249346 times)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Re: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?
« Reply #2625 on: October 16, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
It's Devin. It will be great. This is the guy who relesed Deconstruction and Ghost on the same day. And they are both flawless.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2626 on: October 16, 2014, 12:24:08 PM »
I'm also part of the club that's more excited for Sky Blue than Dark Matters. Originally it was the other way around, but listening to the samples and a couple full tracks changed my mind pretty quickly.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2627 on: October 16, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
It's Devin. It will be great. This is the guy who relesed Deconstruction and Ghost on the same day. And they are both flawless.

Ehhhhhhhh... sure? We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.  ;)

(I like PtL, Stand, and TMM, but the rest of Decon is a bit... much for me. And Ghost does nothing for me at all.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2628 on: October 16, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
This.

Offline Jinkies

« Reply #2629 on: October 16, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »

Ehhhhhhhh... sure? We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.  ;)

(I like PtL, Stand, and TMM, but the rest of Decon is a bit... much for me. And Ghost does nothing for me at all.)

Pretty much. I mean, I loved them both when they came out, but neither really stand up as full releases to me anymore. I haven't been able to sit down and listen to all of Decon in ages, and none of the seperate songs stand out to me to listen on their own. I love Ghost up until Monsoon, then the ambience and atmosphere kind of wears of for me. Genius guy, amazingly eclectic songwriter, but again, just the sheer MASS and length of material and how often he's been releasing is kind of killing it for me.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2630 on: October 16, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
I love Ghost up until Monsoon, then the ambience and atmosphere kind of wears of for me. Genius guy, amazingly eclectic songwriter, but again, just the sheer MASS and length of material and how often he's been releasing is kind of killing it for me.

Thats probably because the album starts going in a completely different direction after Monsoon... hence the atmosphere change.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2631 on: October 16, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »
What's "Devin by the numbers"? The guy does a different style on every album, how can he do something by the numbers?  :lol

I'm not setting my expectations one way or the other. The "it's Devin, it'll be awesome" sentiment is a good way to set yourself up for disappointment. Especially with this album being so long awaited and teased, I can imagine it risking being overhyped.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2632 on: October 16, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »
All I'm saying is the dudes been hittin out of the park for about 2 decades. This album being great is a safe bet.

Sure I don't think it will be a perfect 12 out of 10 like Deconstruction. But I'm certain both albums are gonna be highly ranked by me and a lot of others in the annual AOTY discussions here.

The man made a song full of fecal soundscapes and referenced the big mac song and made it work so well it's in my top 5 of all time.

I have faith in Dev-oh god I sound like such a fanboy.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2633 on: October 17, 2014, 05:10:38 AM »
I had a dream I was listening to Z2. The album even came with a Ziltoid puppet.  :sad:

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2634 on: October 17, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »
The thing is, nothing Devin does is ever "forced" or "uninspired".  He wrote the material for Ki, Addicted, Decon, Ghost and a lot of Casualties all at the same time. And he was writing the material for Ziltoid and Sky Blue as he was writing Epicloud and the rest of Casualties. Whenever he wants to make metal, he makes metal. Whenever he wants to write mellow, melancholy songs, he does that. If he's feeling in the mood for sci-fi themed pop rock or a cheesy 80s power ballad or atmospheric space-country, thats what he writes. And then he just puts the right songs on whatever album they belong to, even if that album doesnt come out for another 3 and a half years.

I bet you Devin already has riffs saved up for his next 3 releases somewhere on his computer. He just naturally produces this much content, its not like he's pushing out records and running out of ideas as he does so.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2635 on: October 17, 2014, 09:16:32 PM »
I'm just gonna say Sky Blue is awesome.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2636 on: October 17, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »
I'm listening to some of the Z2 samples on iTunes. Man that Universal Choir sounds MASSIVE!  :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2637 on: October 20, 2014, 12:49:27 AM »
Fuck this place, it's a drug. I can't stay away from drugs. I'll die of drugs with a big fat god damn smile on my face.

Anyway, despite having the (I'M A GENIUS LIVING IN TEXAS WHOSE ORDERED FROM THE UK) 3 CD (Additional Dark Matters-non-commentary album + Z2-shirt) album pre-ordered, I've gotten the leak.

It's amazing, and I'm saving the special tracks for the official release but have listened to the title track (which is perhaps my favorite DT song to date) and Fallout from Sky Blue as well as Z2 and From Sleep Awake from Dark Matters (the first half of Ziltoid Goes Home on accident). It's not going to be my favorite DT album, but it's the album I deserve right now (  ;) ) and the album that I need to lift me out of this massive hole I've dug myself. It's fantastic and amazing in it's ways, and despite the fact that I only really love a couple tracks from the original Ziltoid and it's at the bottom of my DT discog list, Dark Matters has blown me away ten times over and Sky Blue is what I expected and more. It's Devin Townsend completing his saga. I feel that Devin's saga can be explained simply through the Breaking Bad ending saga...Ozymandis = Deconstruction; Z2 = Felina.

Love. Forever. The ending of Z2 is a fucking mind grinder along with a newborn star. I love you, Devin Townsend. Thank you for everything. I'm gone. Lost. Found. Find. Losing. Fucking. Sucking. Italian meatball sandwich, please.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:15:34 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2638 on: October 20, 2014, 07:01:07 AM »
Sky Blue title track sounds alot like that "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love Again" song  :lol idk what its actually called.

Dark Matters is AMAZING though. It took me about 3 listens to "get it" but it's fantastic. War Princess is a highlight of the album for me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2639 on: October 20, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »
 :lol I know exactly what you mean, and I love it. Both of 'em. The weird sound effect works really, really well for the song but the first time I heard it, it kind of caught me off guard. I usually don't like vocal effects or that odd 'dance'-like sound effect but Devy makes it work really, really well and it fits the strangely uplifting yet foreboding feeling of Sky Blue.

I think I'm going to benefit massively from the non-commentary Dark Matters. I really love it a lot more than I expected I would but I still can imagine loving it even more without the commentary.

I cannot WAIT for my Ziltoid shirt and the actual albums with artwork and all that good stuff. Also to finish listening to the albums.  :lol

Slight Spoilers for Sky Blue:

I really, really like that, despite the quality not being at it's best, because of the leak I get to have the Devy-vocals version of Fallout. From the snippits I've heard on iTunes of the final version, I love Anneke's vocals but it does take a little of the ferocity out of the song. I've got a feeling we'll eventually get an official version of the Devy-Fallout but it's cool to have it at all in case we don't get one. Best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:54:06 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2640 on: October 20, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »
I usually have no problem checking out a leak but... from what I understand the version that has leaked is an early version sent out to reviewers and supposedly Devin went back in and edited or revised (redone mixing and mastering?). I want to hear it as it's intended. Doubt its much of a change but I wonder what the difference will be.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2641 on: October 20, 2014, 01:06:48 PM »
Correct. There's apparently a few differences and I caught that just by comparing it to the iTunes samples. But it does sound better, and it's pretty noticeable. I'm not audiophile, but it's definitely more refined and crisp. Naturally, when comparing a leaked copy but most of the time I can't tell the difference when it comes to most bands; not so with Devy. I've already deleted it with the exception of Fallout.

RIP DTP.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2642 on: October 20, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
I listened to sky blue once, then i read that the leaked copy was an old mix and I deleted everything. But I liked what I heard, even though that's not my favorite side of Devin.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2643 on: October 20, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »
I like the sound quality of the leak. It's less dynamic that Casualties of Cool, but still a lot more dynamic that 99,9% of modern metal albums. I'm afraid the the "final" version will be the same just with dynamic compression cranked to eleven, to make it sound like Epicloud.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2644 on: October 20, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »
I'm afraid the the "final" version will be the same just with dynamic compression cranked to eleven, to make it sound like Epicloud.

Yeah, Epicloud sounds pretty bad, especially on headphones. Z2 sounds like it's got the same style, but I'm not sure if it will be as severe.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2645 on: October 20, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
Zero fuckin' idea at what you guys are talking about.  :lol Like I said, I'm no audiophile so maybe my ears just don't 'hear' it but I think most of Devy's albums sound fantastic, Epicloud included. I mean, I can certainly tell the difference between something like Physicist and Decon but...no clue at how Epi sounds bad, I think it's pretty fantastic. *shrug*

RIP DTP.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2646 on: October 20, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »
I'm no audiophile either, but I think Epicloud sounds noticeably worse than a bunch of his other albums.
The main problem was the drum sound and the sheer amount of low end. If you listen to the very beginning of Kingdom the whole thing sounds distorted because of how much bass there is.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2647 on: October 20, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
Hm...Different ears for different beers. Or something.

I understand, but I don't hear it the same way. I think there's an almost nonexistent thin line between an album sounding a certain way because it was designed that way and an album sounding just bad. I think albums like Physicist and Infinity cross that line and are just bad at points, but I think Epicloud, much like Casualties, was designed with a very specific sound. I mean, non of this is to be argumentative because if you don't like the sound then that is that, but rather I find it interesting that people can listen to the same thing and hear such different things. It's funny you mentioned Kingdom because I am in love with it's sound. I like that it sounds crushing and distorted at points, verily; but again, I view that as it's design. /willgrahm

RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2648 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
I'm no audiophile either, but I think Epicloud sounds noticeably worse than a bunch of his other albums.
The main problem was the drum sound and the sheer amount of low end. If you listen to the very beginning of Kingdom the whole thing sounds distorted because of how much bass there is.

Yeah, that and the fact that I honestly can not hear a single strike of the hi-hat throughout the entire record.
Well, I actually can if I strain myself and focus intently on it. It's all bass, snare and toms.

Epicloud still sounds pretty good though, especially if you put a loudness-EQ filter on it.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2649 on: October 21, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »
I still think Epicloud sounds great. It was deliberately mixed so that you could crank it.

Also, Sky Blue and Dark Matters are both simultaneously the most awesome things I've heard in years.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2650 on: October 21, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
I still think Epicloud sounds great. It was deliberately mixed so that you could crank it.
I don't like mixes like these. You end up losing a lot of power when playing it at a lower volume and/or it ends up sounding muddy. A great mix should have the same impact at any volume. My goto for a great metal mix is Painkiller by Judas Priest. It kicks your ass when played loud, but it still sounds crystal clear and very powerful when played quietly.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2651 on: October 21, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
I'm so excited to see DTP in December. I love that he's the closer in Albq. I thought it'd be Animals As Leaders, so that was a surprise. 

Deathray is so awesome. Rejoice is okay, its like how I feel about True North.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2652 on: October 21, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
Dark Matters sounds incredible to me.
Sky Blue also sounds pretty good overall but I think a few songs could use some work being kind of distorted sounding at times.

Then again, the leak I have is only 128kb quality, I think. Or 256kb.
Either way, the final CD version (which I have preordered from cmdistro) will sound way more clear and complete, I'm sure. I just hope he doesnt ruin the mix, because the high-end sounds awesome and the drums are a shining quality throughout Z2.
I can even hear the bass guitar on "Warrior"  :o

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2653 on: October 21, 2014, 02:30:56 PM »
I would say without even a second thought that Deathray and Rejoice are the two weakest songs on their respective albums, but I love the fuck out of Deathray still.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2654 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »
Of the two singles, I definetely prefer Rejoice. Very cool rythm and vocal lines.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2655 on: October 21, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
I think Devin was just trolling us with Rejoice.
Not only is it the single, but its the very first taste of Z2 anyone is going to get listening to the "album" from start to finish  :lol what a horrendously inaccurate first impression of the full product.

I think Fallout would have made a better opening track, fwiw.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #2656 on: October 22, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »
Dark Matters sounds incredible to me.
Sky Blue also sounds pretty good overall but I think a few songs could use some work being kind of distorted sounding at times.

Then again, the leak I have is only 128kb quality, I think. Or 256kb.
Either way, the final CD version (which I have preordered from cmdistro) will sound way more clear and complete, I'm sure. I just hope he doesnt ruin the mix, because the high-end sounds awesome and the drums are a shining quality throughout Z2.
I can even hear the bass guitar on "Warrior"  :o

God, Warrior is soooo good.  The vocals coming out of the bridge into the chorus is mind-blowing.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2657 on: October 22, 2014, 07:02:04 PM »
Does anybody know if there's any non-live versions (demo, whathaveyou) of Supercrush where it's just Devy handling the vocals. Nothing against Anneke, but when Devy sings it live, he makes that song go from perfect to Supreme Ultra Perfect.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2658 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »
Does anybody know if there's any non-live versions (demo, whathaveyou) of Supercrush where it's just Devy handling the vocals. Nothing against Anneke, but when Devy sings it live, he makes that song go from perfect to Supreme Ultra Perfect.

Not that I know of, and I absolutely agree. I remember the first Devy song I ever heard was of a live version of Supercrush at Tuska Open Air and once his vocals kicked in, I knew immediately that I was gonna become a Devy fan.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #2659 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »

Don't know of one myself, but after listening to it right now, damn.  I want to hear a studio version now.

Here's the video for those wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUW4vUtS0c
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix