Author Topic: Devin Townsend v. Do You Feel Like A Bit Of Fun?  (Read 249611 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend v. Coolness on the horizon
« Reply #2380 on: August 28, 2014, 09:04:53 AM »
That's cool. I'm really reluctant to buy Devin's albums on vinyl. Apart from Epicloud and a few others, Devin's albums to me are albums that I have to hear in one go without any pauses. Of course, the vinyls will probably sound a lot better, but I'd have to flip the vinyls all the time, which disrupts the flow for me.

i totally understand. i'm the same way about some things — Edge of Sanity's Crimson I/II is awful on vinyl (for other reasons besides splitting up the 40 minutes though), and i'm frightened about Green Carnation's Light of Day, Day of Darkness and the upcoming Moonsorrow vinyls and how they split sides (the only way to do it is an egregious amount of fading i think. gross!).

however, with Dev and others, i'm getting horribly rearrangey about albums, like beyond the level of The Letter M(ark)'s tracklist shakeups and such. hearing OM split into sensible chunks is very refreshing for one of the first albums i ever obsessed over!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2381 on: August 28, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »
:tup How did Terria sound?

Listening to it on CD now by the way. I think it's one of the best sounding Devin albums on CD. Holy fuck, it still is absolutely brilliant.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:59:29 AM by Onno »

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #2382 on: August 28, 2014, 09:46:36 AM »
Omg I just listened to Deep Peace after a long time. What a gorgeous song, absolute masterpiece. When I listen to it feels like all the bad things in the world disappear for a while.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2383 on: August 28, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
Omg I just listened to Deep Peace after a long time. What a gorgeous song, absolute masterpiece. When I listen to it feels like all the bad things in the world disappear for a while.
I love Deep Peace so much. It's my favourite Devin song, and a Top 10 song of all time for me. Whenever I hear that gorgeous solo and the build-up into that climax, I get shivers, and sometimes I just start crying at the beauty of it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2384 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
After some months I've came to the conclusion that Addicted is my fav DT album, mainly because it's damn consistent, not a single bad song. I love the pop-metal thing, I need more of that.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2385 on: August 28, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
So, I listened those two albums you all recommended me, and I have to say that I like'em both, but Terria it just amazes me. Earth Day and Deep Peace are total eargasms :lol
And that only on my first listen.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #2386 on: August 28, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
So, I listened those two albums you all recommended me, and I have to say that I like'em both, but Terria it just amazes me. Earth Day and Deep Peace are total eargasms :lol
Knew you'd like them  :tup Terria is amazing indeed, the highlights being Earth Day and Deep Peace as you said yourself.

As of Addicted, it's one of my favorites as well. Like said, it's very consistent throughout.

Also this is very offtopic but Sacul have you heard of Amaranthe? Pop-metal if anything.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2387 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »
The good thing with Terria is that it's awesome on the first listen and then only gets better.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2388 on: August 28, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
And in middle of this Devin Overdose I'm watching his show in Wacken this year. He was at the top of his banter game lol
I laughed so much with the group hug between Old, fat, hairy metalheads and 2 or 3 women  :rollin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2389 on: August 28, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
So this has probably been posted before, but it's so amazing it can stand to be posted again.

Acoustic version of Funeral:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3cIpVYZII

Offline Onno

« Reply #2390 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:12 PM »
Yeah, that is awesome. I bought the Unplugged CD from Devin's Facebook a while back, and Funeral's also on there. Stunning.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: August 28, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »
i really dislike acoustic "Funeral" actually — he performs it well obviously but the original intent definitely isn't there anymore, and it's that "i'm 20 and fucking lost in this brutal and uncaring city" drive in the album version that i love the most. well, that and the epic intro and main riff that don't translate onto an acoustic guitar.

(i get that he's not the OM/City guy anymore, i just kinda wish he could go back there to perform the song.)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2392 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
Well, yeah, I think the original is best, but I really love this take on it as well.

Offline Onno

« Reply #2393 on: August 28, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
I see your point. If he was to perform it live I'd rather hear the studio version as well. The acoustic version still sounds great to me though.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2394 on: August 28, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »
Wouldn't it be awesome for him to play his acoustic version of Funeral live, and then slowly segue into Bastard with the band coming back in full force, loud as hell?

I think that would be an awesome moment.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2395 on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
It would just be nice if he played those songs in general.

I love the man to pieces, but one thing his live shows really suffer from (aside from way too many backing tracks) is that he's got SO many songs in his discography, but he only plays like, 10% of them live these days.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2396 on: August 28, 2014, 07:54:05 PM »
It would just be nice if he played those songs in general.

I love the man to pieces, but one thing his live shows really suffer from (aside from way too many backing tracks) is that he's got SO many songs in his discography, but he only plays like, 10% of them live these days.

Like really, I think its time to retire the Addicted/Deconstruction/Ziltoid material for awhile. Bring back some Terria, Ocean Machine, Ki, maybe even a few Ghost tracks?

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2397 on: August 28, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
Or just play some different songs from those albums, like Addicted, Universe In A Ball, Sumeria, etc. instead of just Supercrush and Juular over and over and over again.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
Also this is very offtopic but Sacul have you heard of Amaranthe? Pop-metal if anything.
No, but if they're anything like Addicted, I'm in. An album?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: August 28, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
:tup How did Terria sound

Listening to it on CD now by the way. I think it's one of the best sounding Devin albums on CD. Holy fuck, it still is absolutely brilliant.

unfortunately, Terria didn't get as nice a treatment as OM: the green colours are gross, the pressing is noisy as hell, and "Down and Under" starts just like the CD track (even though "Canada" has a suitable fadeout, and the rest of the side splits are fine). dissappointing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »
listened to OM on blue vinyl for the first time tonight — sounds WAY better than the CD
And the CD already sounds amazing :omg:. Oh man, there are so many amazing albums on vinyl, and I have no player :sadpanda:

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2401 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »
What would you guy's ideal Devy setlist be? For like a 90 minute set. Mine would probably be.

1. Grace
2. Universe In A Ball
3. Earth Day
4. Deadhead
~intimate acoustic time~
5. Terminal
6. Kawaii
7. Funeral
~back to the hevy~
8. Bastard
9. Hyperdrive
10. The Fluke
11. Sumeria
12. Hold On
13. Angel
14. Perspective (why not, it would make a good closer live)
-encore-
15. Kingdom

Or something like that. I think that would be a cool setlist no matter what the gig is. If he were to play some of these songs again on the DTP/Animals As Leaders tour, I'd be happy. Of course, thats not even factoring in the new Z²/Sky Blue material he'd likely play.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:55 PM »
something radical, man

01. "Funeral"
02. "Night"
03. "Sumeria"
04. "Fly"
05. "Flight"
06. "3 A.M./Voices in the Fan"
07. "Truth"
08. "Regulator"
09. "Depth Charge"
10. "Judgement"
11. "Deadhead"
12. "Suicide"
13. "Tiny Tears"
14. "The Greys"

encore
15. "Bastard"
16. "Juno"

... and evidently OM-heavy  :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2403 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:01 AM »
Mine would be (not 90 minutes tho)
1.Truth (follows into Effervescent)
2.True North
3.Juular
4.Lucky Animals
5.Planet Of The Apes
6.Disruptr
7.War
8.Addicted!
9.Supercrush!
10.Color Your World
11.Terminal (acoustic)
12.Ih-Ah! (Retinal Circus version)
13.Divine (follows directly into)
14.Kingdom
15.Life
16.Vampolka/Vampira
17.Heaven's End
18.Sumeria
19.The Mighty Masturbator
20.Where We Belong

encore:
21.Hyperdrive (this version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c1hMHXQc04)
22.Grace

I know it's heavily DTP based, but keep in mind I've only listened to those albums, Ziltoid and yesterday Ocean Machine - I'll go chronologically from now and today I'll listen to Infinity. Maybe I'll make an update once I finished the discography.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #2404 on: August 29, 2014, 07:31:54 AM »
No, but if they're anything like Addicted, I'm in. An album?

Hmm it's not like Addicted really, but I think they're extremely fun :D It's more like metal with eurodance choruses. I know it sound weird but it really works in my opinion. Plus they have both male and female vocals. I'd say you should check out their debut album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2405 on: September 02, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
“Hey all!
“So it’s been years I’ve been trying to get the energies in line to do another Ziltoid record, and it’s finally happened! Z2 is my new record, and it’s a multimedia event that has taken a ton of people a ton of effort to bring to you! It’s a double album, (one side DTP, and one side Ziltoid) and the concept expands on Ziltoid the alien, and his sci-fi adventures in a way that kind of throws back to 50′s radio plays… but obviously with complicated, heavy music as its soundtrack. It has taken a great deal of energy to put this all together, and the music is just one of the aspects of it. It’s a dream come true in a lot of ways, and I’m excited and honoured to be able to finalize the project with a live version of the entire record at the famous Royal Albert Hall in London on April 13th of next year! (!!) Basically what we did with The Retinal Circus a few years back will be taken to the next level with Z2 live.
“At the end of this process, we reached for the stars, and hopefully got to the moon, and after this album cycle, I will be taking some time to recharge my batteries and see what the next chapter holds. I hope you enjoy this record and all its offshoots, as one of my goals is to hopefully inspire folks to reach for unconventional ways to express themselves as well. We couldn’t have done it without you! See you at the show?”
“-Devin”

Read more at https://www.metalsucks.net/2014/09/02/devin-townsends-ziltoid-2-release-details-revealed/#bVWW6WkVHQdWCmRh.99

Also this is happening on 4/13 :metal  (which is irrelevant to non-HS people :P )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:57:50 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Onno

« Reply #2406 on: September 02, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
Epic!! I wonder when the pre-orders start...

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2407 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »
He did tease that the digipack version will contain a bonus disc on Facebook a week or two ago along with the photo PROGdrummer shared...or at least that it's suppose to contain one.

The digipak version of Z2 has been said to contain a bonus disc featuring the new Ziltoid album with all of the dialogue removed. Thoughts?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2408 on: September 02, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
Damn, I really wish I had the money and time to travel to London to see this, that'd be a dream come true. But October couldn't come fast enough, this is gonna be one hell of a wait. This album is gonna be fuckin' nuuuuuts!

Also very interested in if the dialogue-less Z2 album is happening, I'd love to hear that; especially since, while I've warmed up to the whole silly side of Ziltoid, it isn't exactly my favorite aspect. So just having the music would be a treat.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #2409 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »
So there's going to be, like, dialogue sections on Z2? Hearing this I'm way more excited about the DTP side of the release.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2410 on: September 02, 2014, 12:27:37 PM »
I'm assuming it's going to be more of the same Ziltoid-y stuff where "Ziltoid" is 'commanding'/talking/monologue-ing parts of the album.

RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2411 on: September 02, 2014, 01:09:37 PM »
That sounds pretty epic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2412 on: September 02, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Indeed, that sounded like it was a bad thing with 'more of the same' but while that wasn't a shining aspect of what I liked about Ziltoid, I think with the years of learning Devy has experienced since the original, it could be much more fitting. Whatever it ends up being, I'm excited and I'd love to hear a 'By Your Command'-esque commanding screaming from Ziltoid.

RIP DTP.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #2413 on: September 02, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
I've been listening every Devin album I haven't listened before. I think I love this man even more.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2414 on: September 02, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
I really hope Dark Matters and Sky Blue get their own cover art.