Author Topic: 2012-07-06 - Majestic Theatre - San Antonio, TX  (Read 19207 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
2012-07-06 - Majestic Theatre - San Antonio, TX
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »

The Majestic remains one of the finest atmospheric theatres ever built. Inspired by Spanish Mission, Baroque, and Mediterranean architectural traditions, theatre patrons are transported to a fantasy villa. Walls become towers with windows of colorful glass. A rare white peacock perches on a balcony railing as doves are caught in mid-flight. Grape vines creep along the walls and luscious foliage flourishes. The vaulted "sky" comes to life as stars twinkle while drifting clouds pass by overhead. Balconies, tile roofs, arches, and columns, railings, elaborate ornamentation, statues, and a bell tower all aid in the transformation of the theatre into a mystical village.
More.

Please allow me the pleasure of showing you a glimpse of the Majestic Theater. The point? I'm very happy about DT's choice of venue. This is possibly going to be the best place I ever see Dream Theater at, ever.
I love the place to the bones, mainly for the great designs of the entire seating area and the stage.
I've attended a few musicals and just recently saw the Nut Cracker ballet there.
The only show I saw there that was remotely related to rock was The Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular show, that was such a beautiful experience, Pink Floyd music played with incredible laser hovering figures in 3D, I sat there with the 3D glasses for two hours of sheer fun. And the acoustic of the place were just top notch.
Dream Theater at the Majestic Theater is going to be drip epic.
Please take a few seconds to see the place I'm talking about here to understand what I mean when I applaud the idea of DT playing the Majestic, click on the picture and drag it to get a 360 degree look at the place.
I really wish can get the seats I want and not miss them when the tickets go on sale. But probably any seat in the Majestic Theater will be good enough for me.

More pics:
This is not a special show, this is what the place actually looks like.
The sky inside the theater..
A higher view.

This place is ready for Dream Theater. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:50:24 AM by cyberdrummer »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Looks amazing.

Offline Shadow2222

Wow, and not only does the name fit DT, but the atmosphere!  :hefdaddy to the Majesty Theater
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
That is an amazing venue. Looks so lame compared to the State Theater that they play at here in Minnesota
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, and not only does the name fit DT, but the atmosphere!  :hefdaddy to the Majesty Theater

It's actually The Majestic, cyberdrummer wrote Majesty when he edited the thread title. But the connection is still there hehe

That is an amazing venue. Looks so lame compared to the State Theater that they play at here in Minnesota

You're dreamin dude!  :loser: venue pride :lol
Yeah you got a real nice venue there too but still a few steps behind the majestic as far as I can tell from the pics. Check the 360 thing I posted.
Also this is great cause the last DT was here they played at the AT&T Center and obviously nothing good is ever found in a venue that has the word "Center" in the name, let alone AT&T. And it reeks of basketball fans.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
Ticketmaster link for the show
https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C00488D8FE95FAF?artistid=744581&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=200

Doors open at 7:30pm
Ticket prices
US $30.00 Ticket + US $11.40 Fees = US $41.40
US $55.00 Ticket + US $13.25 Fees = US $68.25

Onsale to General Public
Start: Fri, 04/20/12 10:00 AM CDT

Priority Offer
Start: Tue, 04/17/12 10:00 AM CDT
End: Thu, 04/19/12 10:00 PM CDT
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
You're dreamin dude!  :loser: venue pride :lol
Yeah you got a real nice venue there too but still a few steps behind the majestic as far as I can tell from the pics. Check the 360 thing I posted.
Also this is great cause the last DT was here they played at the AT&T Center and obviously nothing good is ever found in a venue that has the word "Center" in the name, let alone AT&T. And it reeks of basketball fans.
:lol Man, I really worded my post wrong... I meant to say the one in Minnesota was lame compared to Majesty Theater. My bad, now I feel like I was being extremely mean. Sorry about that
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
SystematicThought :lol I swear I felt something seemed out of character for you about that post but I would have sounded super stupid if I was wrong hehe

Priority Offer
Start: Tue, 04/17/12 10:00 AM CDT
End: Thu, 04/19/12 10:00 PM CDT

How do you get a priority offer?!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2012-07-06 - Majestic Theatre - San Antonio, TX
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:53:50 AM »
The "Priority" presale started and lots of great seats are already taken. This is going to continue through tomorrow.
Ticketmaster says "Enter offer code/password" without mentioning where the fuck do you get that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:31:30 AM by Progmetty »

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 03:54:25 PM »
Oh come now, the State theater in Mpls is gorgeous and one of the best places to go to the 'Theater'.  Majestic looks a bit more colorful though :tup

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 05:36:31 AM »
I am sad about my tickets but grateful to see DT nonetheless.
As Barto mentioned in the Dallas thread; someone has to be blown to obtain good seats.
But I can't let it go, I'm truly angry, nobody knows where the pre-sale codes came from, not even the theater. And the elite better humans who got it used it to the fullest, when sale opened seats were available starting Row O, the closest to the stage is row A and it goes alphabetically. Apparently there are so many elite blue blooded and devoted Dream Theater fans here who're so in about the show date and pre-sale date, at least a 100 people, surprisingly none of them here. Good for our city.. OR MAYBE this is some deal to sell these ticket closer to the show date for double or triple the price, they are just good investors who're in with the people who need their sperm swallowed.
I have waited an entire day to make this post level headed and not just furious, I should have waited longer.
I can't let it go, I have to know why they're special, and why the living potato fuck does DT allow this? are they even aware that this happens? I wanna write ticketmaster a complaint email but I frankly can't do it without it turning ugly.
At this show, I am going to the front rows and I'm going to ask at least 10 different people how they got their seats, brand me a fuckin pussy if I came back that day and said I didn't bother to do it. I will be polite.
Let's hope for the best for the Austin show, still no word on the sale or better humans pre-sale.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
I think your disgust might be somewhat misplaced.  Looking at the realtime availability map, there haven't been that many tickets sold.  I suspect that a huge majority of the tickets that look like they were sold were never released to begin with.  Keep in mind that the first 10-15 rows never go onsale at all, even to the people with the presale password.  And when you ask why DT allows such a practice, they're one of the culprits.  They're holding back 50 or so seats for the VIP package deals, plus a handful for friends/family/associates.  The nature of ticket sales nowadays is that great seats are worth more than average seats, and while the scalpers used to be the only ones to take advantage of that, now everybody gets in on the action; including the band.  When I suggested that you had to know who to blow, that list includes the promoters,  the band's management/label, the venue,  AMEX CSRs, radio station guys, and John Petrucci, as well. 

Interestingly, this has always gone on, just not to this degree and also some bands are more scrupulous than others.  I have contacts with an aging British rock band, and when they come to town I can occasionally get tickets/passes.  A while back when they came through I asked my amigo for seats and he had an interesting answer.  He said it looked like the show might sell out, and he therefore couldn't give me tickets.  The band's policy was that if the show sold out, all the unused holds would back to the pool so the public could get a shot at them.  If there are fans who wish to buy tickets but can't, it's better to make more available for them than to just give them to business execs.  Thankfully, the show didn't sell out and I had 2nd row seats waiting for me at will call. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
I agree it's interesting but I just didn't know the sheer size of capitalism involved heh, that was naive. Yay industry.
The Majestic makes up for this, the theater is great fun and my row O has great view. I want LaBrie to point to the theater's moving sky when he sings "Crossing bridges in the sky" :lol
And because it's interesting I'm still asking a few people about how they got their tickets, I'll pick people who look younger and up to discussing things.
Viva General Admission.

Offline Vegvisir

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
Anyone want to buy 2 Orchestra Right (JP side) row H (8) tickets? You can have them for what I paid. Even minus the stupid ticketmaster fees.

Offline cosmicwxdude

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
I think your disgust might be somewhat misplaced.  Looking at the realtime availability map, there haven't been that many tickets sold.  I suspect that a huge majority of the tickets that look like they were sold were never released to begin with.  Keep in mind that the first 10-15 rows never go onsale at all, even to the people with the presale password.  And when you ask why DT allows such a practice, they're one of the culprits.  They're holding back 50 or so seats for the VIP package deals, plus a handful for friends/family/associates.  The nature of ticket sales nowadays is that great seats are worth more than average seats, and while the scalpers used to be the only ones to take advantage of that, now everybody gets in on the action; including the band.  When I suggested that you had to know who to blow, that list includes the promoters,  the band's management/label, the venue,  AMEX CSRs, radio station guys, and John Petrucci, as well. 

Actually, I went to the box office at our State Theater and got 3rd row. I was 3rd in line as the window opened.  So the '10-15 rows never go onsale at all'  statement doesn't jive with my experience.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »
There are certainly exceptions.  I somehow scored a front row for the Austin show last year.  In that case, I attributed it to being sold through a university box office, rather than the normal TM/LN channels.  I suppose a bigger factor might be the number of seats they think they have to hold back.  Considering that they've only sold a third of a 2k seat venue in Minneapolis, I suspect that there's just not much demand.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »
It's just me from DTF for this one, I'm thinking of going early to find Jordan outside the theater if it's been a habit of his to scout a few hours before the show :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 01:55:51 AM »
There are no tickets available now.. https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C00488D8FE95FAF?artistid=744581&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=200
I wonder if that means they sold out.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
I'll be there.  Traveling 4 hours from McAllen, TX.  This'll be my 5th DT show (I think...)  , and I'm getting 2 friends to go that have never seen DT!  They're both casual observers/admirers of the band but have never really been super into them.  Very excited for them to get the live experience  :tup

I was very pleased to get 4 great seats about 9 rows back from the front, almost at center stage even though we barely got tickets a week ago. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
Sunavabitch. Take note Barto!
gm5k, you did good to wait man.
Hope to see you there :)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »
:caffeine:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
So.  Fucking.  STOKED.  Not sure where we're sitting, but I'll make a note of where you cats are and try to spook ya at some point during the show.  Hehehe. :biggrin:

I'll be wearing my Black Clouds & Silver Anniversary shirt. :tup

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 01:19:21 PM »
You're coming to this one?! why didn't you say anything before?!
You guys coming from out of town?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
I actually didn't know right away, but yeah - we'll be thurr (if we ever leave Austin, that is). :metal
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:12:28 PM by DebraKadabra »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 03:08:12 PM »
I actually didn't know right away, but yeah - we'll be thurr (if we ever leave Austin, that is). :metal

Say hi to John for me. 

No, seriously.  Say hi to John.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 04:49:19 PM »
Does he know you by bosk1 or do we just say Chuck says hi?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
bosky - I'll try to remember :lol

So we're obviously here in beautiful downtown San Antonio, getting excite for a Projekt/DT show :metal

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 05:08:59 PM »
I guess we'll see you in the line in then, do you know where you're sitting?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 05:12:54 PM »
Not yet, dude - but I am at the front of the venue at present :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »
Well have fun and hope to see you guys  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
You too, dude!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »
We're Left Orch, Row P, seats 5 through 15.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
We're Right Orch, Row O, seats 108 and 110 for some reason.. I just noticed this, I hope it doesn't mean someone is gonna be sitting between us cause I did choose two side by side seats..

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
Just got home.
Lost my voice, again.
The Root of All Evil should be a live regular, this song rocks so hard.
The band was top notch as usual.
My neck hurts from the headbanging, I may have enjoyed the set list from the first leg better but, this tonight, was a headbanging set list.
JP's little variation near the end of the Floydish guitar solo in BIA is not better than the original.
My ears are still ringing.
The Majestic was awesome as usual, it fits DT so well, not just decorations, but how you can hang away from your seat, it's hard to explain.
Went and stood with the sound engineer during Surrounded, best freakin job on the planet, it was always my dream job.
Only song on the set list that I didn't really enjoy was 6:00, a very album-version-only song for me.
On a personal level most of the set list struck chords related to my current struggles and I won't deny getting emotional with the singing heh
On the way out I approached who I thought was DebraKadabra to say hi but I heard her speaking in a thick Scandinavian accent so I kept walking hehe
Thank you Dream Theater, see you tomorrow ;D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 03:00:21 AM »
Too bad we couldn't meet up - were you in the balcony, or on the floor?  I asked a group of peeps in the right lower Orch, Row O, about ya and got absolutely NOTHING. :lol   Maybe tomorrow, dude - I think I'll PM you my cellie # since we had such a problem connecting tonight. :lol

Anyhoo - we just rolled back in, finally.  Don't ask me about after-show grub either, although I may tell that story later anyway.  The show was awesome, I just couldn't help feeling that the first leg's setlists were a bit stronger.  Oh well, shit happens.

Sorry if the pics are blurry - I also tried taking some of the venue itself.  The theater was just amazing, and pics really don't do it justice anyway.

This is my favorite:

I was also getting better pics off of the cubes than zooming in. :lol   GREAT show, looking forward to the Austin show! :metal

P.S.  bosk, JP sez "Hai!" :rollin