Author Topic: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Zantera wins!!  (Read 21602 times)

Offline Xanthul

Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 4 results up!
« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2012, 01:52:43 PM »
Well I dont really care either way, the way I understand roulettes the score represents the affinity of our musical tastes so I wouldn't want to screw with that by forcing you to send anything but your desired submission just because someone else sent the same song. With that said, if you'd prefer to have a more unique scoring that's fine too, just send a new song.

@kari: yeah, same score for both

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: May 05, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
Hrmmm I wonder if someone sent the same song as me.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2012, 04:01:15 AM »
Round 5 results! Very strong round with the lowest score being a 7, I see you guys are using heavy artillery now.

UMH - Sigh - A Sunset Song (7 points)
You hit the nail on the head on your submission PM - I loved the riffs, the little disco interlude and the overall upbeat feeling of the song. Sadly, you also hit the nail on the head saying I wouldn't like the vocals. Black metal vocals are probably the hardest type of singing to get used to for me. With another kind of vocals this would probably be at least an 8, but I guess in that case the interesting contrast between the raspy singing and the music would be lost. Overall, even if I don't think I will be able to get into these guys I feel the song deserves seven points.

Gorille85 & Elite - Diablo Swing Orchestra - A Tap Dancer's Dilemma (10 points)
This blew me away. From the tap dancing drums to the swingy horns, from the sweet female vocals to the excellent guitar riffs, I loved this piece of music. All instruments are excellent and the tempo of the song is awesome throughout, making me want to dance like my life was on the line. Regarding the vocals, the guy provides a nice contrast with the low screams and the female singer is excellent, specially in the quicker verses. All in all, I don't really feel confortable giving this song less than 10 points.

Zantera - Mr. Bungle - None of Them Knew They Were Robots (9 points)
I felt this was a crazier, darker, more depressing A Tap Dancer's Dilemma. While Diablo Swing Orchestra succeeded on the very first listen, this would probably need a lot more listens to be able to appreciate fully since it seems to have around three million different sections and riffs. For some reason, like Unexpect these guys also reminded me of Danny Elfman in that sometimes the song feels like the OST for a Tim Burton film. I loved this but like I said it didn't possess the instant gratification of DSO and I probably need more time to get into this so nine points.

black_floyd - Gordian Knot - Reflections (7 points)
At first I thought this would be more straightforward Prog Metal and that I wouldn't enjoy it but it ended up being a pretty nice song. I loved the spanish guitar throughout but the other instruments didn't really stand out to me. In the end, I listened to the song a few times and even though I didn't really find anything to make me want me to come back, the truth is that I enjoyed every single listen so I will give this seven points.

obscure - Proto Kaw - Daylight (7 points)
For some reason this was a very hard song to judge for me, I found it difficult to focus on it. I don't mean it's bad, it just didn't hold my attention like other songs do. The little eastern sounding interludes were good and the sax provides a nice touch too. I felt the song was kind of repetitive but similar to black_floyd's submission, I liked every listen so it deserves seven points.

kári - Yeasayer - O.N.E. (8 points)
I love the electronic beats on this one and the echo effects that give it somewhat of a dreamy feel while keeping it upbeat. While the vocals are pretty similar throughout the song there are enough instrumental interludes, subtle riff changes and additional instrumentation (like the high pitched keys near the end) that the song never feels repetitive. All in all a pretty interesting band, I should probably check them further. 8 points.

ReaperKK & LLTWM - Shpongle - Levitation Nation (8 points)
The last thing I was expecting after the first couple of minutes of the song was a spanish guitar, but there it was (and what an awesome spanish guitar). As far as fusion goes, this probably takes the cake: ethnic vocals, electronic instruments, tribal percussion and spanish guitar - all in less than four minutes. The song is really great but like Reaper said, the abrupt ending indicates this is meant to be listened to in the context of the album and takes away a bit from the song as an standalone piece. Eight points and another entry in my list of albums to check once this madness ends.

Rankings:

So far we have some clear grouping: two people pulling ahead fighting for the win, a group of four wanting to upset them and the three metalheads chasing them like mad men (and women). With two rounds + the extra final round left, there are 30 points in the air so anything could happen, don't get overconfident!

Offline Xanthul

Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 5 results up!
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2012, 04:04:52 AM »
I need a few more minutes to think about the theme for round 6. It's going to be the last themed round so I want to make sure I choose the right theme. I had something in mind from the start but considering how the roulette has gone so far I feel what I have in mind will be too restrictive and it will not allow a high variety of scoring, which is the opposite of what I want.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2012, 04:19:03 AM »
Sigh's album, "Gallows Gallery" is completely absent of harsh vocals, if you want to give that one a try. Each of their albums sound fairly different though.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2012, 04:20:41 AM »
Great, I will be checking that out. I felt somewhat bad giving that song 7 points because I loved the riffs (I've had them in my head for two days) and it had very original ideas going on, but sadly the vocals are a turnoff for me.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately the rest of their material is 95% screeching. I've grown accustomed to it though, so maybe you will too.  :tup
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2012, 04:34:41 AM »
Round 6: My original idea was to do an "interlude" round with transition songs but I feel this is very limited and would not allow room for upsets and comebacks, so I'm going to do a FOUR theme round. I want you to choose one of these themes and then submit a song:

1: Crescendos: Not necessarily post rock, just something that has a huge crescendo.
2: Piano: Something with classic piano in it.
3: Avant-garde: Hit me with the crazy stuff. Avant-garde metal is of course within the theme.
4: Ambient: Anything remotely resembling ambient is fair game - shoegaze, dreampop, ambient metal, lowtempo...

I will judge submissions from 1 to 10 regardless of the chosen theme - however, it's important to fulfill said theme. If you choose ambient and send me avant-garde, my friend, you are entering a world of pain. A WORLD of PAIN

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2012, 05:07:59 AM »
Glad that you liked Mr. Bungle! I've sent a song for Round 6 that I feel very confident in, since it fits a bit into two of the themes mentioned. It's a song I really love, so I hope you will like it as well.  :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2012, 05:10:11 AM »
Mr. Bungle was one of the other bands I thought of sending. Pretty awesome that there were two groups of people that sent the same song :lol I'll have to think about this, see which theme I can gain the most.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2012, 06:10:46 AM »
aaaaaaannnddd sent!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2012, 06:12:41 AM »
One question regarding this roulette; can we send bands that have already been sent in previous rounds by other people?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #152 on: May 06, 2012, 06:15:24 AM »
In my roulette I allowed it when I didn't give the band a good score.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »
Sent

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »
Mr. Bungle was one of the other bands I thought of sending.

Me too  :omg:

and we don't have it for this round... damn...

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #155 on: May 06, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
Well there are other very evident avant garde metal artists out there, if that's what you want to send  :hat

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
One question regarding this roulette; can we send bands that have already been sent in previous rounds by other people?

Sorry I missed this, it's ok by me as long as the song is different enough from the first submission that I don't feel you're just taking advantage. If I feel like that, I will ask for another submission.

Of course, no bonus points for repeated bands that were on my wishlist :)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »
Good. I was thinking of sending a previous band and I feel my song is pretty different.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »
I hope you're not think of Bon Iver 'cause I was forced to send the worst song!! :)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: May 06, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
Sent.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2012, 05:40:39 AM »
Well there are other very evident avant garde metal artists out there, if that's what you want to send  :hat

Oh no worries... I have an arsenal of avant garde bands... it's just hard for me to pin down your taste... oh you already know that I struggle  :laugh:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2012, 08:55:15 AM »
Sent by e-mail. Hope you like it :)
Squ

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
Friendly reminder for obscure, black_floyd, LLTWM and Reaper

The five submissions I've got so far are all amazing. This is shaping up to be the best round so far, every song is excellent.

In other news I've thought about a great theme for round 7 that I think you will all enjoy. It will also provide some challenge in that you will have to choose how you want to be scored, I think it's going to be fun. After that, round 8 is going to be finalist-only (2 top scores) so you better use all your secret weapons in these two rounds!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
Sent.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
Wait did you get my round 6 submission?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:36:44 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
Yeah, I did a wrong recount of the people that was pending to send a song... The current status is the following:

Sent: Zantera, kári, Reaper, UMH, Gorille, LLTWM, Elite
Sent but need to resubmit: obscure (repeated band but you're free to keep the submission), black_floyd (band in my RateYourMusic profile, I already know them)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2012, 12:41:32 AM »
will send today....

sorry guys  :-\

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2012, 01:15:58 AM »
It's ok, it's not you or black_floyd who is holding up the roulette even if I don't have your songs, I have an extremely busy week at work so I think I won't be able to write the reviews and post results until friday :(

Sorry everyone

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2012, 02:09:48 AM »
Don't worry, take it easy :)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:39 AM »
Don't worry man. Also, you could always write one song here, the next there, simply when you have some time left. Writing all of them at the same time might take some time, but then again I'm not quite sure what your routine is, and obviously work and other things are more important.
Frankly it doesn't matter that much, I'm glad just to read the write-ups, if they take some time it's not the end of the world. :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2012, 05:23:06 AM »
I don't usually review all songs at once, mostly because submissions are spaced out. The normal routine is to listen to them in batches of 2 to 4 songs depending on how many people submitted and then I start including later submissions if I get them. Once I have listened to a song 3 to 5 times I write the review.

This round has been more complicated because I've been busy so I have only listened to each song a couple of times. Once I get home next friday I'll set apart a couple of hours to give everything a proper listen and write the reviews at once (it won't be a problem since each review doesn't take me too long, I usually write it in the time it takes me to give the song a final listen).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2012, 05:26:05 AM »
Sounds cool. And to be fair, I'd much rather have a good and interesting write-up, and the knowledge that you listened to the song an extra time or so, then to see something you've put down in haste because people wanted the results early.
So just take your time and I don't think anyone here will be upset about the wait. Hell, Friday is just 2 days away. :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
Just got home, what a PoS week at work.

I just started listening to what I have so far and writing reviews. BF, obscure, I still don't have your submission. If I don't have it by tomorrow I will post the results anyway and judge you in the next round since this one has already taken too long.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
I had a hectic week too :(
it's coming today....

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »
Round 6 results! In this round, Zantera mops the floor with every other participant (no disrespect though, he does it very tactfully and with a lot of love). Very strong round regardless, lots of 8s and a couple of 7s, we'll see if black_floyd and obscure can keep it up when they send their submissions.

Zantera - Mew - Comforting Sounds (10 points + 1 bonus point for Mew)
It's amazing how a song can be so simple, yet so epic. This song is a very easy song to get lost to, the first few times I would listen to this my mind would start wandering off and before I noticed the song was over (which is incredible for an almost nine minute song). I love how it starts like a slow poppy tune and slowly builds up, gradually increasing the intensity - the guitars, the keys / strings, the wonderful vocals that remind me of the Ecstasy of Gold... The more I have listened to this song, the more I have enjoyed it. What more can you ask for? 10 points.

kári - Múm - The Land Betweeen Solar Systems (8 points)
The first thing I need to comment is how perfectly these guys set the tone for the song with the electronic/noise introduction, you really feel like you're out there floating in the outer space. I found it interesting that even though this introduction is not very rythmical, by the time the drums came in I had interiorized it to a point that the drums felt very natural and didn't change the feeling of the electronic noises at all. The vocals are somewhat Sigur Ros-ey - I thought it could be the icelandic but then I noticed she sings in english. One thing this song didn't accomplish compared to Mew is that it has very little variation and, great as it is, it still feels repetitive after a while. Perhaps the song would have been better with a couple less minutes or perhaps I need more time to get into it and listen to it in the context of the album (which I definitely will) - either way, right now I have to give it 8 points.

Reaper - Kaki King - Can Anyone Who Has Heard This Music Really Be A Bad Person? (7 points)
I had heard a lot about this girl and I remember I once listened to one of her songs that didn't do much for me. This was better but it still lacked something to make it a really great song. her guitar playing skills are obviously great but I felt the first part of the song is too stripped down - the song got a lot better when the other instrumentation (keys, strings) gained relevance. I think I would have liked it better if that instrumentation shift happened a couple of minutes earlier instead of so close to the end. Anyway, even though it could have been better it's still a very solid tune and I may check her out at a later date, so seven points.

UMH - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Sleepytime (8 points + 1 bonus point for SGM)
This is weird a shit, a very difficult song to judge. At first I thought it was a bit repetitive and that I wouldn't enjoy this much but the louder section makes it better and adds a lot of variety with the different riffs, vocal harmonies and even some semi-growls. All in all the song didn't really feel as long as it actually is and it kept me wanting to give it another listen. I would have liked to dedicate it enough time to be able to know the different sections and what to expect at any given time but I guess that will come with repeated listens once the roulette ends. I know that in a few days I might regret not giving this a higher score, but for now it's 8 points.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Boards of Canada - Kid for Today (7 points + 1 bonus point for Boards of Canada)
Another slow song that had me doing some mental escapism (like someone commented on Youtube) for a few listens until I could focus enough to judge it. Musically there isn't a whole lot to write about - a nice little beat, dreamy instrumentation and not a whole lot of variation. However, I didn't really feel like I wanted to it end at any point so I guess the song achieved its purpose and had me relaxed and just enjoying my thoughts for a few minutes. This is probably better in the right context, like traveling and looking out the window of a train. Seven points.

Gorille85 - Her Name is Calla - Pour More Oil (8 points)
This was a bit underwhelming for the first couple of minutes, you've all decided to put me to sleep with these submissions (all very good ones though). Thankfully the song got a bit more uptempo after the first half with some very simple drumming that sounds almost like a militar march. The vocals in this section are outstanding and then the strings (which also seem to be a common denominator in this round) and horns take over for another while before the operatic vocals brilliantly close out. All in all this is a very good song that left me wanting more, if it weren't for the first three minutes it would probably be a nine but I will have to give it eight points.

Elite - Genesis - Firth of Fifth (8 points)
I've tried to get into the 70s prog bands a couple of times by listening to spare songs but I never really felt attracted to that kind of production and vocals (except for Pink Floyd). This song was a lot better than what I had listened to before - I feel like I can now trace, at least partially, the origins and influences of the modern (but classic-style) progressive rock of Transatlantic. The piano is wonderful throughout the whole song, I really love classic piano and this one had some excellent melodies to work with. The rest of the song is also great, I feel like this prog rock is less "in your face" than the current one and more "musical" if you will. I thought I'd give this song a low score but I think an eight is well deserved since it has even managed to wash off some of the indifference/disdain I was lately feeling towards this genre.

obscure -  - ( points)

black_floyd -  - ( points)

Rankings: