Author Topic: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Zantera wins!!  (Read 21584 times)

Offline Xanthul

Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Zantera wins!!
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:02 AM »
Welcome to my dull joint - if you're expecting some quirky roulette with rounds that are scored by some complex algorithm involving the size, hardiness and duration of the erection I've had while listening to the submitted songs you're in for a disappointment. This is going to be a rather standard roulette with some pretty basic rules:

- 6 to 8 rounds, depending on how fast it's going.
- Scoring will be 0 to 10 for each round.
- One bonus point will be awarded if the song belongs to one of the artists I have on my to-check list.
- Time permitting, last round will be a full album (will probably have to limit this to around 2 or 3 finalists in order to have enough time).

Ideally since I'm working out of town you will submit all songs by Friday, I will listen and rate the songs during the weekend and post the results on Sunday. We will see how this goes.

Submission method: Personal message with link to wherever I can listen to the song (grooveshark, youtube, whatever) or you can PM me for a gmail account and send the file if you want me to enjoy your stuff in high quality. I don't have accounts in any music websites but I guess could create one if there is some site that will be terribly useful.

Banned bands: anything that shows in my RateYourMusic profile: https://rateyourmusic.com/~xanthul regardless of whether I have rated all the albums by them or not.

My current favorite 10 bands roughly ordered so you can get a glimpse of my taste: Porcupine Tree, The Dear Hunter, Opeth, Radiohead, Goodspeed You! Black emperor, Riverside, dredg, Sigur Ros, The Mars Volta, OSI

Roster is full so unless any of these guys/gals do some Onan stuff and pull out at the last minute, there is no room for anyone else.

Gorille85
LieLowTheWantedMan
Ultimetalhead
obscure
kári
Elite
Zantera
black_floyd
ReaperKK

Round 1: Free round with a small catch - I want the song to be representative of your tastes, like a small intro to what I can expect from you in this roulette.
Results here

Round 2: Do you think you know some *flawless* albums? An album so awesome you still love its worst song? Then be honest and send me just that - a song that is the WORST song of an album while still being awesome.
Results here

Round 3: I'm going to abandon the difficult themes for a round or two and go with a more classical one. I LOVE drumming, I would have liked to be a drummer but I never got around to it so I vent my frustration listening to groovy motherfuckers that hit the bonjos with style. I want something with awesome drumming - I have to warn you that I prefer groovy, laid back drumming that makes complex time signatures and rythms sound easy, but if you would rather go with extreme, fast technicality it's up to you (and the size of your balls/ovaries). I will judge the drumming and the song separately (zero to five for each) and add the result for the final score.
Results here

Round 4: We're back to difficult themes. I've always wanted to be the cool kid that could say "I was a fan before they got big". In this round, I want something from an artist that has one single album. Couple of rules: EPs don't count (so you can send something by a band that has 1 full album and 2 EPs) and the band has to be active (otherwise I won't be able to brag about knowing them since the start, y'know).
Results here

Round 5: It's fusion time! I want something that mixes genres (blues, jazz, punk, rap...) or has some "exotic" influence (latin, eastern, ethnic, whatever). Just as long as it isn't "straightforward GENRE" it's fair game.
Results here

Round 6: My original idea was to do an "interlude" round with transition songs but I feel this is very limited and would not allow room for upsets and comebacks, so I'm going to do a FOUR theme round. I want you to choose one of these themes and then submit a song:

1: Crescendos: Not necessarily post rock, just something that has a huge crescendo.
2: Piano: Something with classic piano in it.
3: Avant-garde: Hit me with the crazy stuff. Avant-garde metal is of course within the theme.
4: Ambient: Anything remotely resembling ambient is fair game - shoegaze, dreampop, ambient metal, lowtempo...

I will judge submissions from 1 to 10 regardless of the chosen theme - however, it's important to fulfill said theme. If you choose ambient and send me avant-garde, my friend, you are entering a world of pain. A WORLD of PAIN
Results here

Round 7: In my initial plan this was going to be a free round to wrap up the roulette but we're going to add a twist so you guys can have some fun instead of me hoarding it all for myself.

For this round you will send three songs of your choice - since it's going to be a lot of music to listen to (27 songs) I'd like you to send shortish stuff but it's not a theme restriction, if you have a really awesome 10 minute song you want to send, do it (though I might listen to it less times than I would for a 5 minute song due to time restrictions). The catch in this round is that you will have to choose how you want to be scored. There are three choices:

- Best: Highest rated song times two. For example, if I rate your submissions 7, 9 and 5 your score would be 9 * 2 = 18 points plus any bonus points if any of the songs are from my list of bands (these bonus points don't get multiplied).
- Worst: Lowest rated song times three. Following the same example, your score would be 5 * 3 = 15 plus bonus points.
- Sum: Sum of all scores minus four. For the same example your score would be 7 + 9 + 5 - 4 = 17 points plus bonus points.

You will have to estimate my scores and calculate which is the option that suits you best - each of them has its pros and its cons. The scores will be high enough that anything could happen, so choose wisely.
Results here

Round 8: This will be a very straightforward round to judge the winner - finalists, send me an album and I will judge it over 20 points, no bonus for anything, score does NOT build on previous results (whoever wins this round, wins the game). Good luck to both of you!
Results here

Congratulations to Zantera, winner of Xanthul's Boring and Unimaginative Roulette!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:00:48 AM by Xanthul »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Participants Line Up
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:56:25 AM »
I'm not familiar with rateyourmusic, so a newb question: Does it apply to things on your wishlist as well? I see you've rated like 176 albums, but there are some under "wishlist", could I send anything that might be on there?
Probably a dumb question but yeah.  :biggrin:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
If one of participants drops out I want in. . .

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:09:23 AM »
Zantera: Anything I've rated, regardless of if I own it, have it wishlisted or none of the two. You can search by band where it says "Search Xanthul's music for "_______________" (Artist). If anything shows up, the band is forbidden.

ReaperKK: Give me one day or so to see how many people show up / want to sign up and if the list doesn't grow too large I'll take you in.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
My tastes are scattered all over many genres, so this might be hard. I'll think of something though. :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
It doesn't need to be representative in a genre way, rather in what kind of submissions I can expect from you - I know this is hard to do in a single song but that's part of the challenge. For example, if you enjoy a lot of different genres you can send something that's a bit out there or blends several influences so I know your tastes are varied...

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:30:23 AM »
Herro.. my song is in....

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
wow that first round will be very difficult for me...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
Xanthul @ Got ya. I'm gonna think a bit, but you should have a song within the next 20 mins or so.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:49:32 AM »
Zantera: Anything I've rated, regardless of if I own it, have it wishlisted or none of the two. You can search by band where it says "Search Xanthul's music for "_______________" (Artist). If anything shows up, the band is forbidden.

ReaperKK: Give me one day or so to see how many people show up / want to sign up and if the list doesn't grow too large I'll take you in.

Thanks, I'll be following regardless.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »
Song sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
Quick note since I got an email for your PM. I'm on holiday and won't be able to submit before sunday evening. I would like to join in, but can't do it now. Sorry. I'll send sth sunday evening of I don't hear from you otherwise.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »
I wanted to post the results sunday night and start a new round but we can postpone it one day, don't worry about it. I already have the writeups for the songs I received so far (all except black_floyd, Elite and LLTWM) so even if I could adjust something here and there on further listens, the work is mostly done so I will just have to review yours and I can do that quickly.

ReaperKK, I'm doing this quicker than I thought I would so feel free to join and send me a song for the first round.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »
YAY... KK is in :victorydance:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
You already have some writeups done?  :lol Fast pacing! Just out of curiosity, how many times will you spin each song (average), like 3-4 times?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »
I'm doing a three section writeup for each song: impressions on first listen, impressions on subsequent listens (3 more listens in addition to the first one), what I think I can expect from you based on your submission.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:45 AM »
Cool.  :tup
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:42 AM »
YAY... KK is in :victorydance:

I know I can barely contain my excitement :caffeine:

Song Sent.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:41:05 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 08:49:31 AM »
The song is not really representative of my taste but at least I went with a diverse one.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »
Not representative, but here goes something that might work.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »
Sent last night.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
Sent a while ago :)
Sunday night is a long time to wait!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »
Since everyone submitted except Elite I will probably post the results tomorrow and judge Elite's first and second round together in order to avoid effectively stopping the roulette for four days.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
Cool.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 05:58:44 PM »
:tup sounds good

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:43 AM »
phew..

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »
Here are the results and writeups for the first round. Mostly excellent submissions, I had to review my ratings and become a bit more strict. Rough rating explanation:

0-2: Varying degrees of unlistenable
3-4: Not my thing but I can see positive qualities in it.
5: Neutral, good enough to listen to but I don't think I'll check the band further.
6-7: Pretty good, can see myself delving deeper into the band.
8-9: Awesome, will check these guys out for sure.
10: Perfect.

Ultimetalhead - SikTh - Pussyfoot (5 points)

First listen: Alright, this was a brutal way to start the roulette. I have to admit I'm not a fan of harsh vocals but I can do with them under certain circumstances - these circumstances were not met here though. It's as if this song was *daring* me to enjoy it, some passages were good and had me thinking I could end up liking this but as soon as I started to think that, some screams would pop up that would discourage me. I never thought a three minute song could be such a rollercoaster.
Subsequent listens: I still enjoy some parts and the drumming is awesome but I can't get past the vocals... I gave it one last spin with headphones and I have to admit it sounded a lot better. I had this as a 3 for the whole week but this last listen is propping it up to five. I still don't think I could listen to this regularly, but I can see its appeal.
What I think I can expect from you: Headaches? Just kidding, I think you're going to provide the necessary doses of violence for this roulette - I'm definitely looking to expand the metal section of my music library since it's currently pretty limited.

obscure - Ihsahn - The Pain is Still Mine (5 points)

First listen: Another song of a genre I'm not too fond of. After an incredible intro I was thinking this could go places but I was afraid it would become black metal (judging by the cover and some youtube comments). There weren't any screams however and some of the instrumental passages were very nice, so I ended up enjoying this. The vocals turn me off somewhat, I can't put my finger on exactly what is off about them but at least they didn't ruin the rest of the song.
Subsequent listens: The song has some cons and it could be trimmed down a couple of minutes but it's still quite enjoyable so I gave this five points. I think you made a very solid choice here by choosing from the more polished side of the genre. Good submission!
What I think I can expect from you: Like UMH, it looks like you're mostly into metal (you said so in the roulette tracking thread) so I guess there will be some headbangers here and there to add to my library.

Zantera - Anathema - Thin Air (8 points + 1 bonus point for Anathema)

First listen: While I don't find the song as uplifting as you do, it certainly is very emotional. The first half is very mellow and haunting, I quite enjoy the vocals here. On the second half I absolutely love the vocal harmonies and the landscape they create throughout the long buildup. I also love the way the tension of that buildup is resolved - not with a bombastic climax but with a rather sudden end and a beautiful, simple outro. I can see where the PT comparisons come from, I think this is a band I can easlily end up loving.
Subsequent listens: This was such a great first listen that the next few ones have just confirmed how much I love it, not much more to add. Keeping in line with the tight scoring I'm going to give this eight points - 9s and 10s will be reserved for absolutely mindblowing tracks.
What I think I can expect from you: As suspected, you're probably going to submit a lot of stuff I'm eager to try out since we have pretty similar tastes. Don't get overconfident though, this roulette is going to be a long war and there are a lot of bonus points to be distributed.

kári - Mono - Follow the Map (8 points + 1 bonus point for Mono)

First listen: Awesome.... Mono is another band I've been wanting to check since I decided to delve deeper into Post-Rock and this first impression was great. After listening to GY!BE for a while it's refreshing to see another take into the genre, Mono provides just that (at least in this song) - a calmer, cleaner, shorter look into Post-Rock while retaining all the qualities that make GY!BE a great band: great melodies, excellent string arrangements and an incredible bundle of emotional, even cinematic feelings.
Subsequent listens: The song feels even greater with repeated listens, stressing how good the main melody is. The length is perfect, allowing said melody to be repeated throughout without creating a sense of repetition or saturation. A solid eight here, up from the initial 7 I would have given it on the first listen.
What I think I can expect from you: According to yourself, "music that will blow you away in sheer beauty or awesomeness". Hopefully that's true, you definitely backed that up on your first submission.

Gorille85 - Unexpect - Unfed Pendulum (7 points)

First listen: If Danny Elfman is Dr. Jekyll, this must be Mr. Hyde. I love the violin or whatever it is and the growls don't throw me off as I thought they would, they feel somewhat appropriate in the middle of all this chaos. All in all, a very eclectic and crazy little piece of music.
Subsequent listens: For the first few listens I had a review here saying that while good, it was too disjointed for me... but this is another song that greatly benefitted from one last spin with headphones. I was able to get a clearer feeling for what each instrument is doing and all the shit that's going on and I really enjoyed this last listen. I really need to check this guys further. 7 points.
What I think I can expect from you: Judging by this and your top albums thread I think I'm going to get pretty varied and experimental stuff from you, which is nice.

ReaperKK - From Monument To Masses - Beyond God & Elvis (6 points)

First listen: More post-rock! After good experiences with Sigur Ros & Godspeed and a very good submission by kári, some disappointment was bound to happen within the genre, and sadly this was it. I don't mean it's a bad song by any stretch, it just didn't grab me and hold my attention like I wanted it to. I love the simple but groovy drumming on this one and the little piano melodies in the background. A solid song, but not outstanding.
Subsequent listens: I think it's a solid song and I mostly enjoyed it but I don't love it as much as I want it to. The flow of the song feels somewhat strange, I kind of feel some tempo changes and breakdowns are out of place somehow. I still enjoyed it a lot, six points for you.
What I think I can expect from you: If I'm not mistaken I think I've seen some musical opinions from you here and there that seem to match my own, so hopefully you will send some stuff that will click better than this one.

black_floyd - Cynic - Veil of Maya (4 points)

First listen: I have to say this song didn't do much for me. Contrary to what I would've thought, it wasn't the vocals that turned me away but rather the production, the song sound somewhat flat and muddy (if that's even possible) to my ears. There were some interesting riffs but I didn't enjoy the soloing that much.
Subsequent listens: I really tried to get something positive from here but I guess it's not my thing. It's not something I actively dislike, I can listen to it just fine, it's just that it doesn't really demand my attention in any way. I will give it four points.
What I think I can expect from you: Lots of songs in the vein of Metallica's Load? Just kidding, I know you despise that record. From what I've seen you post in the forums I know you're the third metalhead in this roulette but I've also seen you talking about some bands (both metal and non metal) that I'd like to check out, so I'm sure I will get some interesting submissions.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Massive Attack - Teardrop (9 points + 1 bonus point for Massive Attack)

First listen: This is way chiller than I expected this band to be - the female vocals were also a surprise, I had to check Wikipedia to make sure I wasn't mistaken in regards to this band. I like the relaxed beat and the soft vocals, it's a cute little song. On one hand I feel like something more should happen in the song but on the other hand I'm quite happy taking it for what it is and even with the simple theme and almost 6 minute duration it doesn't feel too long at all.
Subsequent listens: Damn, this is relaxing as fuck. If I let go for two seconds I find myself dancing in my chair like a moron, this is good stuff. Nine points sir, you win this round.
What I think I can expect from you: If this is representative, I like that you went out of this forum's niche genres (metal / prog / post). I want to broaden my horizons so this is a very welcome change.

Elite -  -  ( points)

First listen:
Subsequent listens:
What I think I can expect from you:

Wow what a wall of text... Rankings:

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
Round 2: Do you think you know some *flawless* albums? An album so awesome you still love its worst song? Then be honest and send me just that - a song that is the WORST song of an album while still being awesome.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Xanthul's boring and unimaginative Roulette - Round 1 results up!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »
That's a great theme!
Question: do obvious filler tracks count as songs? Like a piece of music that's less than 2 minutes long that is obviously used as a transitional tool. Like Sigur Rós' Straumnes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
Sweet! Glad you loved. :) On that particular album they use female vocals on 3 different tracks, that being one of them.

As for the round theme, really interesting theme. :o I'll have to think on this one.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
Happy with the high score, hopefully I can provide you with more good music, though it wont be an easy task to do well in each round.
Interesting idea for a theme, but I'm gonna have to think about it for a bit. Will get back.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 04:55:26 PM »
Nice writeups :tup, this next round is going to be a tough one so I'm going to do some homework on it. . .

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »
Ooh. I like this theme. I'll give it some thought.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
That's a great theme!
Question: do obvious filler tracks count as songs? Like a piece of music that's less than 2 minutes long that is obviously used as a transitional tool. Like Sigur Rós' Straumnes.

I'm in the same boat. My favorite album has an instrumental track that is quite atypical of the remainder of the album's overall sound and is less than two minutes long.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 01:00:08 AM »
I knew this roulette would be tough when I saw your top 10 bands.. we're on the opposite sides of the spectrum... I'm more likely to finish this roulette last .. or hopefully third from last, considering the other 2 metalheads.  :laugh:
Anyway though, just like you pointed out, those who share your taste increase the depth of your library while we the three metalheads might widen it... Just like Kari and Zantera did in my roulette for which I'm grateful...

quality, well thought-out write ups.. and interesting theme indeed...