Author Topic: 2012-06-19 - The LC Pavilion - Columbus, OH  (Read 16710 times)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
Re: 2012-06-19 - The LC Pavilion - Columbus, OH
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2012, 02:15:40 AM »
I have so much more respect for the LNF drum part after watching what Mangini actually played. Holy shit
May The Force Be With You.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2012, 08:18:32 AM »
They reverted back to the original Root ending? Damn... The new ended was just so... majestic

Well it's like someone said earlier, they had it kind of alide into the beginning to LNF. Both songs are in F, right?

TROAE is in Fm, while LNF is in Dm (equivalent of F), although the piano at the end of TROAE takes on a major-ish theme, so it works.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:17 AM »
Oh. Well the last note of TROAE is Db, right? That's the same as the leading tone of Dm (C#). So I imagine that'd work out well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLcVxqTKzs  -  Spirit
What the fuck is this? People need to record Lost Not Forgotten. Has there been a video of it yet?
The whole show is coming. My friend filmed it. It will be on Youtube shortly, and we both have the master files if people like it enough to trade it.

Edit-Here's part 1. Part 2 being uploaded now. He had to cut TSCO because his battery will only record for 2 hours and they played 2:07 roughly, and that's the song he chose to cut, since everyone has seen that song a bunch live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=003sFEUl4Ck&feature=plcp

Thanks for posting that.  Listening to A Fortune In Lies now.  Interesting how James is singing it.  He's singing much more cleanly and less aggressively and raspy than he often has in the past.  Reminds me a lot of Charlie's original approach to the song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
Oh. Well the last note of TROAE is Db, right? That's the same as the leading tone of Dm (C#). So I imagine that'd work out well.

Dm doesn't even have C# in it. Unless you're using the melodic minor scale.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »

Harmonic minor works too. It provides a very strong pull. Can't wait to see how it will work
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »
Metropolis had a better feel just going straight into the crazy unison part.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

The raised 7th scale degree is usually assumed when used in a dominant function.

And I watched the concert; they didn't do any sort of allision. At the end TROAE, the sound effects for The Answer Lies Within started then faded to the sound effects before LNS. It's enough of a break to where the notes don't matter. They could've done the alternate ending fine.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »
They could've done the alternate ending fine.

:sadpanda:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"