Author Topic: 2012-07-18/19 - Paramount Theater - Huntington, NY  (Read 59586 times)

Offline phentalmyst

Re: 2012-07-18/19 - Paramount Theater - Huntington, NY
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2012, 07:50:14 AM »
I don't think these 2 night in NY has anything to do with rehearsing for the filming of the concerts in South America. They have two weeks after the Jersey show to get ready for the SA tour. They may have a little something up their sleeve for the second night.  Someone posted they heard them jamming an LTE song during soundcheck in Washington?  I believe it was in Washington. Anyway, we will know soon enough.

yup, that was my post. they played through paradigm shift about 4 times after going through OtBoA about 3 times.

it. was. AWESOME.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player

Offline Stin64

« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was too loud - I thought maybe I was getting too sensitive in my old age!

I started the night in section 201 in the left balcony, but the crew in the "owners box" stood right at the rail and blocked the view for everyone in my area. I wasn't getting a good balance of sound anyway, so I moved to the upper mez center, and while the balance was better the distortion from the volume really annoyed me. My ears actually hurt when I took the plugs out.

I never thought I'd do it but the sound bothered me so much I left before the end. Did they give any indication that tonight's set list would be any different? I can't pinpoint why, but I was getting the impression that they're a bit tired and dug in to this lineup, and that tonight will be more of the same. Does anyone think the sound will be better tonight? I've got front row seats in 201 for tonight, but I don't think I'm going to go if the sound is as off as it was last night. Someone please convince me to have faith!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2012, 08:03:19 AM »
Tony Levin has put out a video update on his facebook saying he's been practicing something on bass for something special with DT.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »
Tony Levin has put out a video update on his facebook saying he's been practicing something on bass for something special with DT.

Alright. We're going to have Paradigm Shift tonight (Rhapsody in Blue would be too for lesser humans to bear). Well, actually they, not me...  :sadpanda:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2012, 08:07:27 AM »
welp i guess ill have to bring the earplugs tonight, if the sound is as bad as everyone says

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
Yeah, definitely bring earplugs.  It was CRAZY loud.  Much louder than any other show I've seen at The Paramount.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
i have some, so no prob. but did it limit your enjoyment of the show?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
Not really.  I wear earplugs at most show these days.  But I guess it depends on what kind of earplugs you've got.  I find that the cheap generic ones destroy sound quality, but if you've got decent ones all it does is lower the volume without really effecting the sound.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2012, 09:04:55 AM »
BTW, there was a guy with the audio engineers with a video camera/tripod setup filming only the DT show, and I wonder if there were others at different spots in the theater, so I'm wondering if they are filming these shows for DVD/blu ray.  That'd be cool.

I believe DT has been filming some key shows for future YtseJam bootleg releases. It's good to know that Huntington is one of them.
I doubt that's the case. They probably used the camera to broadcast close up shots on the cubes during the solo sections. The Columbus and Cleveland shows both had a guy with a camera/tripod near the mixing board.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2012, 09:11:53 AM »
Yeah, definitely bring earplugs.  It was CRAZY loud.  Much louder than any other show I've seen at The Paramount.

I'm quite surprised to hear this. I've been to many DT shows and I've never found them to be a loud live band.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
whats the parking situation like over there? havent looked in to it yet

Offline DT2003

« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »

I'm quite surprised to hear this. I've been to many DT shows and I've never found them to be a loud live band.

That's how I feel, although I said that over on the MP forum a while back and was shocked to find that I was in the minority in feeling like they are not a loud band.  The PNC show was absolutely perfect as far as volume and sound quality IMO.  The one band for me which I think it's absolutely ridiculous how loud they play is Symphony X.  I went to one of their shows once and honestly had rining in my ears for a week afterwards.

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
whats the parking situation like over there? havent looked in to it yet

Annoying. There are parking lots around the area, but when I got there yesterday they were completely full, at least the close ones, you'll have to walk like 5 minutes from one.  I parked in a lot near a Chase bank and this Thai place on New York Ave

Yeah, this was the first time I've seen Dream Theater with sound that was way too loud. So I'm wondering if its something to do with the venue or whoever is controlling the audio levels there.

Offline fusion420

« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »
Not really.  I wear earplugs at most show these days.  But I guess it depends on what kind of earplugs you've got.  I find that the cheap generic ones destroy sound quality, but if you've got decent ones all it does is lower the volume without really effecting the sound.

Any recommendations re: "good earplugs"? I bought a pair at a music store that sound better than the average foam ones, but I hate the way they feel in my ear. They're rubber and have a little hole that leads to a filter I guess and are kind of ribbed on the part that is inserted into your ear. The foam ones feel way better in my ear but, as you said, kinda destroy the sound quality.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
i have no idea where im gonna park. never been to huntington and cant find any info online. looks like im winging it

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

Any recommendations re: "good earplugs"? I bought a pair at a music store that sound better than the average foam ones, but I hate the way they feel in my ear. They're rubber and have a little hole that leads to a filter I guess and are kind of ribbed on the part that is inserted into your ear. The foam ones feel way better in my ear but, as you said, kinda destroy the sound quality.

Ribbed for her pleasure as well
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline fusion420

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »

Ribbed for her pleasure as well

Nice contribution, bro. LOL... should have seen that coming with my choice of words... "ribbed" and "inserted" in the same sentence...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2012, 12:56:38 PM »
BTW, there was a guy with the audio engineers with a video camera/tripod setup filming only the DT show, and I wonder if there were others at different spots in the theater, so I'm wondering if they are filming these shows for DVD/blu ray.  That'd be cool.

I believe DT has been filming some key shows for future YtseJam bootleg releases. It's good to know that Huntington is one of them.
I doubt that's the case. They probably used the camera to broadcast close up shots on the cubes during the solo sections. The Columbus and Cleveland shows both had a guy with a camera/tripod near the mixing board.

Same in Boston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
i have no idea where im gonna park. never been to huntington and cant find any info online. looks like im winging it

I arrived at 8PM and found plenty of parking along the side streets right near the venue. Twas not a problem. And the show WAS loud, a bit too loud IMO. I wore my plugs for everything except Surrounded and Spirit. And still had a little ringing when I left. I thought John Myung was crazy on last night, and due to the dynamics of the room you could actually hear individual notes. Awesomely good. I find that he sounds best in the smaller theaters. Looking forward to tonight.

Starbucks is very close to the venue. There is also a pizza place across the street that was pretty good. Actually Huntington is a great place for a show. Lots of food and drink within a short walk to the venue.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2012, 02:37:33 PM »
^ I saw that set up at the Majestic Theater in San Antonio.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
This is the literally the worst band I've ever heard. It's like when hippies attack.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »

Alright. We're going to have Paradigm Shift tonight (Rhapsody in Blue would be too for lesser humans to bear). Well, actually they, not me...  :sadpanda:

Paradigm Shift, Acid Rain or Another Dimension would all be way too predictable; they need to bust out Liquid Dreams or Chewbacca. :coolio :coolio

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2012, 06:52:46 PM »
Also, keep in mind that DT posted on Facebook a pic of Adrian B. and JP practising something. So I anticipate more than just Paradigm Shift in the set tonight. 

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
So did Crimson Projekct play the same thing as the first night. DT should start in 10 mins. Could be wrong, as start times aren't always set.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »
Crimson Project setlist was the same.  DT just walked on stage.  First song is the same.  More updates to come as they happen...

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »
Crimson Project setlist was the same.  DT just walked on stage.  First song is the same.  More updates to come as they happen...

How are the sound levels tonight?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »
About the same.  Three songs in.  Same so far, but JLB just said they've got "some surprises" coming up

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
 :metal
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:37 PM »
There ARE some big surprises coming up... and it looks like one of them is happening right now!
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »
This is the literally the worst band I've ever heard. It's like when hippies attack.

You already bitched about them, why see them again if you dislike them so much?

Oh, I forgot, you're a masochist. ::)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
To Live Forever!!!

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
No Way!  :omg:
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Nest777

« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »
AWESOME  :omg: :omg:
What have they played with Tony Levin? Was it Paradigm Shift?