Author Topic: 2012-07-18/19 - Paramount Theater - Huntington, NY  (Read 59438 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2012-07-18/19 - Paramount Theater - Huntington, NY
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
Its just a theory, but could we possibly see some newer tunes played tonight or tomorrow that could make it to the DVD filming next month?

These shows aren't being filmed for a DVD?  Damn.  I must have missed that news.  I was holding out hope that they might, otherwise why the back-to-back shows.  Seemed like a cool opportunity to do something creative for a DVD.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
Its just a theory, but could we possibly see some newer tunes played tonight or tomorrow that could make it to the DVD filming next month?

These shows aren't being filmed for a DVD?  Damn.  I must have missed that news.  I was holding out hope that they might, otherwise why the back-to-back shows.  Seemed like a cool opportunity to do something creative for a DVD.

The leading theory (hopefully true) is that these two shows will serve as a reharsal for the upcoming DVD shooting in Buenos Aires (another two coupled shows).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »

The leading theory (hopefully true) is that these two shows will serve as a reharsal for the upcoming DVD shooting in Buenos Aires (another two coupled shows).
That was the point I was trying to convey. I'm hoping they will pull out a few songs that we might see as regulars on the South American tour and eventually on the DVD in Buenos Aires.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
Oh, I just saw the news on Blabbermouth about Buenos Aires being the DVD site.  I totally missed that news.  Oh well!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
Last night I had a dream that Kevin Moore joined the band on stage for this show.  Lol... I guess that isn't really very likely to happen though.

Going to Thursday show.  Grew up in Huntington, didn't think I'd ever see them play there.

You still live on LI?  I grew up in Port Jeff Sta, but live in Huntington now.  In the complex across from St. Patrick's Church.

Is there any kind of pre-show meetup taking place for fans?  I haven't heard anything.  I think ZepDT and I will be at a bar across from the venue before the show tonight.  Not sure what it's called.  Look for my backwards DT cap if you want to say hi!

Probably will be going to Meehan's

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Last night I had a dream that Kevin Moore joined the band on stage for this show.  Lol... I guess that isn't really very likely to happen though.

This needs to happen.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2012, 02:03:48 PM »
Just wandered by the venue and saw Tony Levin getting dropped off.  =)

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Well, just made it to NY this morning for these 2 shows. This is my 3rd visit to NY, all of them to see DT (RCMH & MSG being the other 2), once from Puerto Rico and twice from Florida. I thought they were going to record the DVD tonight, but of course, that's not going to happen. I have no idea why they booked two nights, but practice for the DVD makes sense (maybe they'll even play a whole album for the second night, hopefully one of theirs and not a cover).
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline DT2003

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
Well, just made it to NY this morning for these 2 shows. This is my 3rd visit to NY, all of them to see DT (RCMH & MSG being the other 2), once from Puerto Rico and twice from Florida. I thought they were going to record the DVD tonight, but of course, that's not going to happen. I have no idea why they booked two nights, but practice for the DVD makes sense (maybe they'll even play a whole album for the second night, hopefully one of theirs and not a cover).

Don't hold your breath on them playing a whole album.  That was driven by MP and I just don't think the current band would have interest in doing that.  Really doesn't make sense why they booked two nights there.  They just did an entire North America tour so why would they need two nights in the same venue to warm up for a DVD?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »
...why would they need two nights in the same venue to warm up for a DVD?

Because they're probably playing more/different songs for the DVD shows?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »
I'm going to sleep now. When I wake up in 8~9 hours I expect the setlist, at least one short review and a few pics!  :police:

Seriously, though, have a nice one, guys! Tonight DT it's going to rock Long Island like never before :2metal:
- Marco

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »

Don't hold your breath on them playing a whole album.  That was driven by MP and I just don't think the current band would have interest in doing that.  Really doesn't make sense why they booked two nights there.  They just did an entire North America tour so why would they need two nights in the same venue to warm up for a DVD?
JP has said in a recent interview that they are willing to play the entire ADTOE on the DVD. So, if they're warming up for the DVD with these two nights in NYC, then it's certainly possible for the entire ADTOE album to be played. However, I will agree with you if people were wanting any other full album to be performed. I believe ADTOE is the only one with a full chance at this point (mostly because JP expressed his interest in doing that eventually and since MM already has performed the entire album live over two tours).

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I believe we'll see some LTE played either tonight or tomorrow.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »
Is this the first album tour in awhile where the entire album has been played over the course of the entire tour?

It seems so. At least since 8V
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DT2003

« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »
...why would they need two nights in the same venue to warm up for a DVD?

Because they're probably playing more/different songs for the DVD shows?

Well of course if that is the case that would make sense.  I guess in a couple of days we will know for sure.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »
Is this the first album tour in awhile where the entire album has been played over the course of the entire tour?

I believe you are right with that one.

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
I don't think these 2 night in NY has anything to do with rehearsing for the filming of the concerts in South America. They have two weeks after the Jersey show to get ready for the SA tour. They may have a little something up their sleeve for the second night.  Someone posted they heard them jamming an LTE song during soundcheck in Washington?  I believe it was in Washington. Anyway, we will know soon enough.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »

I believe you are right with that one.

Absolutely. Prophets of War wasn't played until the touring for Black Clouds, and during the Black Clouds legs The Shattered Fortress and The Best of Times were never performed.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
I don't think these 2 night in NY has anything to do with rehearsing for the filming of the concerts in South America. They have two weeks after the Jersey show to get ready for the SA tour. They may have a little something up their sleeve for the second night.  Someone posted they heard them jamming an LTE song during soundcheck in Washington?  I believe it was in Washington. Anyway, we will know soon enough.

I definitely think them playing LTE is a huge possibility...  but do you really need two nights at the same venue for that to happen?  If it is in fact that they have something up their sleeve, I would think it will be bigger than that.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
IF they do play LTE I expect some internet drama to follow.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »

Definitely.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »

Definitely.
+1

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
OKAY so I have ONE TICKET FOR SALE to the Thursday, July 19th show. It is one of the up close seats, Section 101, Row G, on the right side close to Petrucci. Price is $107 to be paid asap via PayPal. Email me at mike@mikerood.com

Don't need the ticket, already set for both shows. But did stop by your site and played the tunes. Damned good stuff! Need to hear more, so I placed an order...

Ahhh you're Marc! Thanks again for picking up a copy of the cd!

What's the word on meeting up before hand on Thursday everybody??

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »
From MP?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »
PLAGIARISM

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »
From MP?

Sounds accurate to me.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
I know everyone is at the show and that the 1st night probably will be the same set list but I want an update now. I am greedy! 2nd night is what really matters.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
From MP?
Yep. It wouldn't surprise me to see a passive-aggressive tweet posted not too long after a LTE song is played.

I know everyone is at the show and that the 1st night probably will be the same set list but I want an update now. I am greedy! 2nd night is what really matters.
This.

TELL US WHAT HAPPENED. NOW.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
Same setlist tonight as they've been playing all tour.

Highly anticipating tomorrow night's set...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2012, 10:26:06 PM »
Same setlist tonight as they've been playing all tour.

Highly anticipating tomorrow night's set...
And let the countdown begin...

Offline Thanatos

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »
For anyone not there, LaBrie managed to do this again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_RuBLCPPjk. Some roadie came out and threw a (rag?) on the floor in disgust, LaBrie tried to keep going but Petrucci had a "no we need to scrap this" look on his face, and they re-did the section. To be fair, that break is really weird.

Offline fusion420

« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »
For anyone not there, LaBrie managed to do this again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_RuBLCPPjk. Some roadie came out and threw a (rag?) on the floor in disgust, LaBrie tried to keep going but Petrucci had a "no we need to scrap this" look on his face, and they re-did the section. To be fair, that break is really weird.

After 20 years of singing it, not that weird.  :P

Offline fusion420

« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »
Excellent show. Crimson Projekct was phenomenal, made me really wish I had seen their headlining show at Beekman Beer Garden on Tues, but 3 shows in a row during a work week was just too much for me to handle right now. I've seen King Crimson once (back in 08) and this was almost as good. You definitely do notice that Fripp isn't there, but still what a phenomenal show. Belew and Levin are just gods.

I had second row/right side seats, which were awesome. My part of the row had no seats in row A, so I was essentially first row directly in front of Petrucci! My first time at the Paramount and I was not disappointed. Venue is nice and new, sound was very loud, though I felt it was a little distorted at times, not as clear as the Best Buy Theater (I only compare these two because they're similar in size, layout, and BB Theater is only a few years old). Up front where I was it was SO goddamn loud though. Glad I brought earplugs (I don't usually, but knowing I was that close I had a feeling I'd need them).

As far as the set list, I can't really say anything that hasn't been said in other threads. It's a decent cross-section of most of the albums. I love the songs from ADToE. Glad to see Lost Not Forgotten, as that's my favorite song from the album and they didn't play it last time around. Personally I'm a bigger fan of all the pre-ToT albums, so I would've liked to hear more older stuff (specifically from IaW, Awake and SfaM). But hey, this band has 11 studio albums so I can't complain. Very cool hearing Fortune in Lies (I don't think I've ever seen them play that) and The Dark Eternal Night (my fav track from SC, also never seen that one). Excited for tonight, but I am really really hoping they switch up the set list.

Funny side note: There was a drunken idiot dancing/stumbling around in front of my seats for a few songs, and I knew he was going to be an issue. Aside from bumping into myself and the rest of my party, he was either farting every few minutes or crapped his pants, judging by the smell. Security did nothing about him, but an EMT did take notice and actually brought him a folding chair to sit down and take a breather (pretty nice if you ask me, instead of just tossing him or telling him to get back into the GA area). Of course he did stand up again and start his swaying routine, and eventually pissed himself. That's right, puddle on the floor, stain on the pants pissed himself. He got tossed. And the janitor came and performed the only mop solo I've ever seen at a DT show.

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2012, 07:17:07 AM »
Excellent show. Crimson Projekct was phenomenal, made me really wish I had seen their headlining show at Beekman Beer Garden on Tues, but 3 shows in a row during a work week was just too much for me to handle right now. I've seen King Crimson once (back in 08) and this was almost as good. You definitely do notice that Fripp isn't there, but still what a phenomenal show. Belew and Levin are just gods.

I had second row/right side seats, which were awesome. My part of the row had no seats in row A, so I was essentially first row directly in front of Petrucci! My first time at the Paramount and I was not disappointed. Venue is nice and new, sound was very loud, though I felt it was a little distorted at times, not as clear as the Best Buy Theater (I only compare these two because they're similar in size, layout, and BB Theater is only a few years old). Up front where I was it was SO goddamn loud though. Glad I brought earplugs (I don't usually, but knowing I was that close I had a feeling I'd need them).

As far as the set list, I can't really say anything that hasn't been said in other threads. It's a decent cross-section of most of the albums. I love the songs from ADToE. Glad to see Lost Not Forgotten, as that's my favorite song from the album and they didn't play it last time around. Personally I'm a bigger fan of all the pre-ToT albums, so I would've liked to hear more older stuff (specifically from IaW, Awake and SfaM). But hey, this band has 11 studio albums so I can't complain. Very cool hearing Fortune in Lies (I don't think I've ever seen them play that) and The Dark Eternal Night (my fav track from SC, also never seen that one). Excited for tonight, but I am really really hoping they switch up the set list.

Funny side note: There was a drunken idiot dancing/stumbling around in front of my seats for a few songs, and I knew he was going to be an issue. Aside from bumping into myself and the rest of my party, he was either farting every few minutes or crapped his pants, judging by the smell. Security did nothing about him, but an EMT did take notice and actually brought him a folding chair to sit down and take a breather (pretty nice if you ask me, instead of just tossing him or telling him to get back into the GA area). Of course he did stand up again and start his swaying routine, and eventually pissed himself. That's right, puddle on the floor, stain on the pants pissed himself. He got tossed. And the janitor came and performed the only mop solo I've ever seen at a DT show.

Yeah I was up behind the engineers in the mezzanine section and the sound was nearly unbearable.  When we came it was maybe half way through Crimson Projekts set and I was like "jesus the sound is way too loud for this kind of music" but I figured when DT came on it would be smooth and balanced. Nope, all the levels were ear bleedingly loud.  You could hear everything pretty clearly but it was more of a wall of noise.  I dont think it was DT's fault, it was probably the audio engineers maybe thinking they would just crank the music because they were a "metal" band. But who knows, I dont know how getting a show's venue/audio levels set up.  Maybe it was just where I was sitting, but that was probably the first time I've seen DT where the sound wasn't balanced that well.

Other than that, it was a great show and of course they were spot on for nearly the entire show. This was my 8th time seeing them and they never disappoint. :tup

BTW, there was a guy with the audio engineers with a video camera/tripod setup filming only the DT show, and I wonder if there were others at different spots in the theater, so I'm wondering if they are filming these shows for DVD/blu ray.  That'd be cool.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:25:16 AM by Lionheart1827 »

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2012, 07:29:31 AM »
We saw the shows last week in Richmond and DC. The volume at those shows was fine. For me anyway. I had ear plugs, but didn't have to use them. From where my position was, center about 15-20 feet from the stage at both shows, I could even hear Myungs bass. I have read that others could not hear him. My ears weren't even ringing after the show. Maybe it's just where I was standing.  Anyway, hope you guys get some surprises tonight. Wish I was there with yall!
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2012, 07:32:00 AM »
BTW, there was a guy with the audio engineers with a video camera/tripod setup filming only the DT show, and I wonder if there were others at different spots in the theater, so I'm wondering if they are filming these shows for DVD/blu ray.  That'd be cool.

I believe DT has been filming some key shows for future YtseJam bootleg releases. It's good to know that Huntington is one of them.
- Marco