Author Topic: What do you do When your Email is Hacked?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Omega

What do you do When your Email is Hacked?
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »
I unfortunately have reasons to believe that my email has been hacked (by reasons, I mean my account sending countless emails with sketchy links to my contacts). Is there a sort of by-the-books procedure that should be taken now? Or do any of you online hipsters and veterans have any friendly advice for my never-have-had-my-email-hacked-self?

I've already changed the password. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Thanks
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: What do you do When your Email is Hacked?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:19 PM »
Not too much you can do. Best to change your password for every website you're a member of, as many websites' sign-in forms require you to supply an email address and password (both of which the "hackers" currently have).

If this happened to you, it's quite possible that you gave your email and password to an untrustworthy website. Take note and adjust your browsing habits accordingly.

Offline Omega

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks. Will do. Beginning here! God knows what evils they could do on DTF with my account! Perhaps introduce another "objective morality" thread...
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:46 PM »
I think it might actually be your computer that's hacked, rather than your email.  I gather bots are what send rogue emails, and not people.  I'd certainly recommend running the customary malware scans.  Also, if you're not already running a software firewall, it'd be a good time to start (assuming your computer will let you install such a thing).  I've been quite pleased with Comodo. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
Start another one.