Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117989 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. Popestar tour info on page 11
« Reply #560 on: May 06, 2018, 12:29:39 AM »
Faith is a good song. Don't care for the disco tune, though. The ghouls don't seem nearly as tight as they were, but the overall product is a much better live performance. These warmup shows have a "live" fell to them that the last tour lacked. Seems more like a rock concert than a performance. No idea why they need 3 guitarists, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #561 on: May 06, 2018, 03:27:28 AM »
Wasn't Infestissumam already heavily influenced by disco? Why should it alienate people now?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #562 on: May 06, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
Wasn't the disco influence already obvious with songs like Satan's prayer and Stand by him? That was the first album, mind you. Many people including myself were attracted to Ghost because of their flirting with pop, disco or whichever unconventional influences. That's what makes them so much fun.

I haven't checked the live footage of the two songs, though. I'm waiting for the album.  :metal

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #563 on: May 06, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »
Well exactly. Ghost has always had the four on the floor feel, Year Zero, Stand By Him, Satan Prayer, etc. I’ve always loved it, but there was some backlash on Rats and Square Hammer, (which Ghost has always been poppy). I love the direction the band is going, but there seems to be a lot of people who think Ghost was actually meant to be a satanic metal band when I don’t think that’s ever been his intention.

Maybe I’ve been hanging around the Ghost reddit too much... I can’t get a read on things over there.  :lol

All the new tracks I’ve heard sound great, and one even has a sax solo. Yes please!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #564 on: May 06, 2018, 01:32:29 PM »
Their best dance song is obviously Zombie Queen.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: May 07, 2018, 09:06:19 PM »
These clips at great. I love the set and backdrop. Now I'm even more annoyed they aren't coming to Seattle.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #566 on: May 08, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »
I might be wrong but I’m pretty sure there is going to be a second leg of the tour later in the year.  Or at least that’s what I’m hoping since I am waiting for a Portland or Seattle show.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #567 on: May 08, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
There seems to be a North America tour planned for late fall. There's the LA Forum show on November 16th and Barclay's Center on December 15th and the tour is called the Pale Tour Named Death 2018 Tour. I'd imagine that there will be plenty of tour dates sprinkled in there, maybe those dates are bookends. So Seattle sometime in November maybe?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #568 on: May 17, 2018, 11:39:47 PM »
Dance Macabre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRRTBdyYEw0&t=5s

Can't help but tap my foot to this song. It's so damn catchy. Of course the meaning behind the song is kinda grim, but it's putting a smile on my face!
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #569 on: May 17, 2018, 11:41:24 PM »
I really hope they take this tour to Europe. Now there's not a chance I'll get to see it. I think they will come over here eventually, but their touring schedule is pretty full already. Might have to wait until fall this year or spring 2019.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #570 on: May 18, 2018, 07:26:52 AM »
Dance Macabre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRRTBdyYEw0&t=5s

Can't help but tap my foot to this song. It's so damn catchy. Of course the meaning behind the song is kinda grim, but it's putting a smile on my face!

Yeah, I agree. That was catchy, I totally enjoyed it. With this track and Rats, I'm looking forward to the album.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #571 on: May 18, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »
Wow.  Dance Macabre is awesome.  I stopped following them with Infestissumam, but the stuff rom the last album and these new songs are fantastic.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:19:18 AM by Grappler »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: May 18, 2018, 07:44:56 AM »
The video is not available in my country, but I see it's on Spotify also. I'll check it out at home then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »
This and Rats are both some solid catchy tunes. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #574 on: May 19, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »
I was keeping my fingers crossed for a song like this. It's like I was made for loving you got reincarnated as a Ghost song and I'm loving the hell out of it. It's also fantastic lyrically, I also like most people fell for it. It's really not a love song.  :lol

Looking at the comment sections, it's Steven Wilson's Permanating all over again.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: May 19, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »
This and Rats are both some solid catchy tunes. 

Oh yes, and I love them both. This is looking to be a great album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #576 on: May 19, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
I was keeping my fingers crossed for a song like this. It's like I was made for loving you got reincarnated as a Ghost song and I'm loving the hell out of it. It's also fantastic lyrically, I also like most people fell for it. It's really not a love song.  :lol

You prompted me to go searching for the lyrics. Well done Ghost, well done  :lol

This song is catchy as hell and, utopic reasoning, this should be the crossover "summer hit" rather than whatever cheesy plastic autotuned dance-y or rap-ish song will be shoved down our throat all summer long. Didn't really care for Rats, I'll try to listen to it again and eventually to the whole album when it comes out.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #577 on: May 19, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
Really like this band. Digging both tracks so far. Looking forward.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #578 on: May 19, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »

Looking at the comment sections, it's Steven Wilson's Permanating all over again.
No, it’s not  :lol

His wife could have been some sort of inspiration, like He Is was about his brother who died. But no, you’re right. People dying of the plague while having one last fun night isn’t exactly lovey dovey
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #579 on: May 19, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »
Well, i am once again about to see ghost. They are almost done building the castle stage set up. Looks cool and crazy.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #580 on: May 30, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »
The album leaked and I gotta say, it's pretty damn good. Very much a love letter to 80s Arena Rock. There's synths, booming drums, tasty guitar riffs, a saxophone solo. I'm listening to Witch Image right now and the chorus has that classic Ghost feel--catchy chorus with this uplifting, ethereal feel while the lyrics are grim: While you sleep in earthly delight, someone's flesh is rotting tonight.

See The Light is definitely about the lawsuit, and he has said that it's influenced by it, aimed at one person in particular. Out of all the demons I've know, none can compare to you
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #581 on: May 31, 2018, 09:13:24 PM »
Really sad news out of Milwaukee tonight. A fan passed out during the intermission and sadly passed away. Show got cancelled.

:( That's really sad. RIP to that fan and condolences to their family.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: May 31, 2018, 09:17:59 PM »
Tasteless joke below:

So you are saying he.... gave up the ghost?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:44:57 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #583 on: May 31, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »

Seriously? 

Your post was the topper in poor taste. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #584 on: May 31, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »

Extremely sad situation, but not gonna lie, I definitely laughed.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: May 31, 2018, 10:30:24 PM »
I am sorry guys, I should know better. I can modify my post but Kev will need to modify his as well since he quoted me.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #586 on: May 31, 2018, 10:45:15 PM »
Well, you might be in luck because there’s no confirmation that the guy died. One of the moderators on their Reddit said he passed away but then the local news just mentioned that he passed out and they took him to the hospital to revive him, no other details.

The band’s Twitter said that the show was cancelled out of respect for him and the family, but just referred to it as a medical emergency
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #587 on: June 01, 2018, 01:17:16 AM »
On first listen I think Prequelle is good but not great. It’s easily their softest/poppiest album which doesn’t bother me at all but might bother others. It doesn’t have many actual riffs and has quite a few “balladic” moments. The melodic guitar parts are really memorable and my favorite thing about it. Even the weak songs atleast have great melodic guitar parts. I’d give it a soft 7/10 at the moment.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #588 on: June 01, 2018, 02:02:28 AM »
After my first listen I am extremely pleased. As much as I would have liked a couple more songs as heavy as Faith, I'm glad they ventured into more proggy and theatrical territories. The instrumental Helvetesfönster was the biggest surprise because I wasn't expecting anything so medieval and ethereal. I was worried that Ghost was going to abandon their horror soundtrack homages and so I was really happy by how eerie Ashes was.  Faith is a monster and probably should be the next single. Dance Macabre sounds like something Abba would have written and I love it. Pro Memoria is the one I think will be stuck in my head for days. I just wish this album could be 70+ minutes! I want more!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #589 on: June 01, 2018, 03:43:42 AM »
Yeah I pre-ordered with Loma Vista and get a mail that due to production failures they can't deliver on release day. Thank you Loma Vista! That will teach me. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #590 on: June 01, 2018, 04:26:25 AM »
In spite of the metal background, Ghost was never meant to be a metal band. This is certainly a evolution in their own identity. The weakest song, IMO, if there's a weak song in this wonderful album, is Dance Macabre. 9,5/10

Fun fact: Mikael Akerfeldt did the synth solos in Helvetesfönster.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:44:39 AM by lucasembarbosa »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #591 on: June 01, 2018, 05:25:47 AM »
Fun fact 2: Mikael Åkerfeldt is Cardinal Copia
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #592 on: June 01, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »
I'm liking the new record, it'll take some more listens to sink in, but it's definitely very cool.

I agree that the cool thing about Ghost is the over the top dark, satanic imagery and lyrics coupled with often straight up poppy hooks and great melody. It's the combination that makes them interesting, IMO.

Online ozzy554

« Reply #593 on: June 01, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »
Currently waiting for my CD to be delivered.  What I love about ghost is the variety of songs you get on every album. You get heavy stuff, poppy stuff, and just about everything inbetween and something they haven't done before tossed in as a bonus. So from what i've heard i'm definitely going to enjoy this one.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: June 01, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »
I think I want to get this album.  Just reading the reviews here plus enjoying the two singles and enjoying the 3 times I saw them open for IM.  I think I am sold.