Author Topic: The Official Ghost Thread v. summer 2023 US tour  (Read 117939 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
Re: The Official Ghost Thread v. Popestar tour info on page 11
« Reply #420 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghostbc/comments/63noh5/more_news_comfirm_the_old_ghouls_were_fired/

According to a statement from the band members in the masked Swedish hard rock band Ghost it is hired musicians and not the original members themselves playing in the band's current tour.
The reason is the singer Papa Emeritus has forbidden them to participate. As Culture News earlier reported, four of the members of the acclaimed rock band Ghost has sued the band's lead singer for personally collecting the band's entire income for several years.
According to a statement from the band members in relation to the lawsuit that was sent to Kulturnyheterna last Wednesday it is not the original members who participate in the band's current UK tour - Papa Emeritus has hired stage musicians to play in the masked band.
Hired stage musicians The band members write that they, when they tried to deal with the contract situation in 2016, hired a legal assistance, and then received the news that the singer Papa Emeritus no longer wanted them to attend the upcoming tours.
Papa Emeritus then hired stage musicians in the name of the band name Ghost - something the other members of the statement describes as "our vocalist and former friend trying in a subtle and shamelessly way turn Ghost from a band to a" solo project "with hired musicians."
Kulturnyheterna has not reached Papa Emeritus, but he told the newspaper Corren his legal representatives to examine the mood, but he himself did not want to comment on it.
Opening for Iron Maiden Ghost is one of Sweden's most successful hard rock bands and will this summer be the opening act for Iron Maiden during their North American tour.
The group has since 2010 made about 500 concerts around the world, and in February they won a Grammy for best hard rock / metal.

It's not looking good. I already bought my ticket for the show in Norfolk but I'm seriously considering returning it,

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #421 on: April 05, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »
I wonder if Aksel, their old drummer is one of the people suing? I only wonder because The Great Discord is opening for Ghost later this month and their singer Fia Kempe sings on the Popestar EP. It would make for a weird situation. But I wonder if it's the members from the Meliora Tour are the people suing, minus Martin. Because Simon, Air, and Fire are the only others that I can think of that would sue. They change members so much, it's hard to keep track of.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #422 on: April 05, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »
My understanding is that the drummer and bass player spots have been a revolving door, but the other 3 have remained constant through Meliora. Omega left before Popestar.

But I'm mostly a casual observer here; you'd probably know better.

And this is going to be a very interesting case to watch. I'm real curious what sort of business arrangement the band had. It seems to me that it'll be pretty hard for the ghouls to claim they were an integral part of the band's success if they wrote no music and played in anonymity as part of the gig. Geoff Tate or Peter Criss could both claim to be a recognizable part of the band's brand or image, but the ghouls are purposely indistinct.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #423 on: April 05, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
Well, there's probably more underneath the hood, but for those of us who are looking at the writing credits for each album, the tracks are attributed to "A Ghoul Writer" Who is this writer? Is it just Tobias or are there more names underneath the umbrella? Interesting to me at least is that on Meliora, the credits are A Ghoul Writer and Indio Marcato for some tracks. Indio appears to be a pseudonym for someone as there is absolutely nothing on the internet about this person and no other works. So who is that? So I'm guessing they'll get no writing royalties. The best I could see is them getting is some merch/tour royalties.

The keyboardist has been the same since late Opus Eponymous through Meliora. When Ghost started touring, the keyboardist was just piped in through the speakers, the guy onstage was just there for show. Then they got the keyboard player, who I think is Mauro Rubino, some old keyboard player that used to play in different prog bands in Sweden. But yeah, you're right it was Tobias, Omega, and Alpha as the only constants throughout the seven year period until now. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
Well, there's probably more underneath the hood, but for those of us who are looking at the writing credits for each album, the tracks are attributed to "A Ghoul Writer" Who is this writer? Is it just Tobias or are there more names underneath the umbrella? Interesting to me at least is that on Meliora, the credits are A Ghoul Writer and Indio Marcato for some tracks. Indio appears to be a pseudonym for someone as there is absolutely nothing on the internet about this person and no other works. So who is that? So I'm guessing they'll get no writing royalties. The best I could see is them getting is some merch/tour royalties.

The keyboardist has been the same since late Opus Eponymous through Meliora. When Ghost started touring, the keyboardist was just piped in through the speakers, the guy onstage was just there for show. Then they got the keyboard player, who I think is Mauro Rubino, some old keyboard player that used to play in different prog bands in Sweden. But yeah, you're right it was Tobias, Omega, and Alpha as the only constants throughout the seven year period until now. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out

Ghoul Writer is Tobias Forge(Papa) who supposedly writes most of the music and probably most, if not all of the lyrics. Martin Persner(former Omega) started writing more and was credited as Indio Marcato.
The rest of the Ghouls I would hope receive some kind of royalties and writing credits as I doubt Tobias wrote every single note and solo.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #425 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:25 AM »
Apparently Simon (Alpha) posted this on his FB page:

"As of yesterday we, four signatories from the band Ghost, have filed a lawsuit with the Linköping District Court. We are suing Tobias Forge (”Papa Emeritus”) – the band’s lead singer who has also been responsible for the finances of the band since its founding.

As of the filing of this lawsuit we are requesting that the court, under penalty, oblige Tobias Forge to declare the incomes as well as expenses of the band concerning the years between 2011 and 2016. Throughout all the years we have been on tour with Ghost (between 2011-2016 some of us have performed something like 500 shows with the band) and throughout the band’s album recordings, we have neither been allowed to share in the profits of the band, nor have we seen any of the incomes accounted for. The only thing we have received have been minimal advance payments to allow the band to keep going. This despite the fact that we had an agreement that any profits should be shared fairly between the members of the band. When we have attempted to raise the issue of the band’s finances with Tobias Forge his sole response has been that there are so far no profits to be share, but that everyone will be generously compensated once the band turns a profit. The reason that this lawsuit is now being filed is a contract dispute that has escalated during the previous year (2016). Over the last year we have received multiple proposed contracts from Tobias Forge in which he seeks to redefine his role in the band.

Since the conception of Ghost our common understanding and agreement has been that we are a band on equal terms, but that Tobias will act as band leader and manage the band’s finances through his own companies. Through contracts received from Tobias and his lawyers during 2016, Tobias has attempted to make us sign an agreement that implies we are merely consultants working for his company, an agreement also stating that we would receive less that a minimal wage for our contributions to the band. According to this proposal, furthermore we would renounce any and all rights to music royalties. All above despite the fact that some of us have been members of the band since its foundation, investing all of our time in the band during the past five years, with as much right to the recordings and trademark of the band Ghost as that of Tobias Forge. Out vocalist and former friend is now attempting to, in a underhand and shameless way, transform Ghost from a band into a solo project with hired musicians. Naturally this is not something we can accept. When, in connection with the 2016 United States tour, approached a lawyer in order to sort out the situation of the contracts, we were informed that Tobias Forge no longer wanted us to participate in upcoming tours. Thus, Tobias Forge is now going ahead with the tour, which started March 24 2017 and is set to end in the UK on August 12, on his own together with rented musicians who have replaced all other band members. Tobias Forge has chosen this path of action without any permission from us to carry out the tour on his own. This under the name Ghost, which we regard as our commonly owned trademark.

The actions of Tobias Forge amount to nothing less than unabashed dishonesty, greed, and darkness. Not the darkness of which Ghost sings, but a darkness that pushes a person to betray his best friends when fame and fortune appear within reach. We are terribly sorry that this afflicts the fans of the band as well, and that they too should suffer because of this betrayal and greed. <3

We who are suing Tobias Forge are:
Simon Söderberg (Alpha) – member of Ghost since 2010.
Mauro Rubino (Air) – member of Ghost since 2011.
Henrik Palm (Eather) – member of Ghost since 2015
Martin Hjertstedt (Earth) – member of Ghost since 2014
The Nameless Ghouls"

Interesting to note lack of Omega (Martin) or previous Water (Linton Rubino, Air's son, who seems to have a ax to grind).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #426 on: April 06, 2017, 06:12:28 AM »
Oh wow
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #427 on: April 06, 2017, 06:58:21 AM »
Oh wow

Indeed.

If I had to guess, Omega provided a balance to TF (in writing and force of personality).  With Omega gone, it went out of balance and TF started to see it as about himself, not a band.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Art

« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2017, 07:05:04 AM »
Let's see if they can keep a good live show and good new stuff.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »
I already had little interest in seeing them open for Maiden, now looks like I can take my time getting to the show.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
Random question. I saw on a Blabbermouth article that the new Ghouls are rumored to have formerly played with xxx, xxx, Pendragon, xxx, etc. I assume it's a drummer (Scott Higham?), but does anyone who follows them more closely know what ex-Pendragon member might be involved?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #431 on: April 06, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
Random question. I saw on a Blabbermouth article that the new Ghouls are rumored to have formerly played with xxx, xxx, Pendragon, xxx, etc. I assume it's a drummer (Scott Higham?), but does anyone who follows them more closely know what ex-Pendragon member might be involved?
The Pendragon drummer has a pretty recognizable style of playing, which you also see with the new Ghoul. They both play open-handed with very exaggerated left hand movement. I'd put some money on it being the same dude.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #432 on: April 06, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
Here's the "official" identities, as figured out be the hive mind:

Fire: Ben Christo -
Aether: Chris Catalyst -
Water: Per "Sodomizer" Eriksson -
Earth: Jan-Vincent Velazco -
Air: Zac Baird -

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: April 06, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
Im not really a fan, well I heard a couple songs and generally liked it, but the recent news and the facts that I was planning on seeing them on their tour with IM has me interested in what's going on.  This guy sounds like he was keeping the finance information away from the rest of the band which is suspicious in itself since he kept saying they weren't profitable without proving that to anyone.  It may be true, but maybe not.  If he is truly doing what he is accused of, I have little interest in supporting him (the band). 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #434 on: April 06, 2017, 10:06:23 AM »

Cool, thanks. Figures, the new drummer is one that I'm not at all familiar with, which puts me back at not knowing anyone again. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #435 on: April 06, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »

How the hell do people figure out this sort of stuff?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »

How the hell do people figure out this sort of stuff?

The fans over at the Ghost subreddits are a rather...dedicated bunch.
https://www.reddit.com/r/papa_and_ghouls/comments/61cjgj/the_hunt_is_on/
https://www.reddit.com/r/papa_and_ghouls/comments/633k93/spoiler_the_new_ghouls_are/

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »
I don't like the band, but I fully stand by the former band members if what they are saying is true. Big dick move on the part of Papa Emeritus

Now normally, I would just read about it and move on, but I have to see ghost as an opening act for Maiden, so I am getting a little more invested than I normally would.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #438 on: April 06, 2017, 08:41:45 PM »
This guy on the subreddit has a copy of the lawsuit and is posting details about it.
I would call bullshit but this is too detailed to just make up.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghostbc/comments/63u2zy/the_lawsuit_against_papa/

It confirms the lineup changes throughout the years. The female bassist that joined them for the second US tour last year was Megan Thomas from Lez Zeppelin.
Apparently Mauro Rubino(Air) didn't even play on If You Have Ghost, Meliora, or Popestar.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
I'm wholly on the Ghoul's side here, but they sure don't seem to have done themselves any favors. It's looking more and more like TF has spent the last 6 years dotting his Is and crossing his Ts while the other guys have been waiting to see how it all works out. And the international aspect of this can't help them much, either. While they're suing him in Sweden he's been stashing his money in American corporations that he created.

With that said, there's no reason to think this doesn't end like damn near every other band breakup lawsuit, with a nice settlement in exchange for the name. 
E.F. Benson

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #440 on: April 07, 2017, 01:27:04 AM »
Bit of a bummer to see it all go down this way, especially for a band shrouded in such mystery and mysticism.

"We are creatures of the night, we are nameless ghouls lead by an unholy pope... no wait, here's our names, our band leader acts like a dick". Ouch.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #441 on: April 07, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
I'm just wondering what the end is going to look like. At the end, it seems like they get their money and Ghost continues on as a solo project with hired musicians just as it is now. Or do they go back to the band? I don't see that happening.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: April 07, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »
I'm just wondering what the end is going to look like. At the end, it seems like they get their money and Ghost continues on as a solo project with hired musicians just as it is now. Or do they go back to the band? I don't see that happening.

Without knowing much, I see "going back to the band" as a less than 1% chance happening.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #443 on: April 08, 2017, 01:07:20 AM »
Well, they're called 'Nameless Ghouls' for a reason. And they still put on a great song. It's sad to see the financial side of things suck, but line-up changes has been nothing new to this band. Also getting a bit sick of all the negativity towards 'Tobias' all of a sudden.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #444 on: April 08, 2017, 01:49:58 AM »
Well it kind of sounds like he screwed over a lot of people, so I understand the negativity. None of it really changes Ghost for me, I'm still pumped to see them live in June and look forward to the next album. And I've known the identities for quite some time now, so knowing who they are doesn't change it for me. It's just an interesting turn of events
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #445 on: April 08, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
Well, they're called 'Nameless Ghouls' for a reason. And they still put on a great song. It's sad to see the financial side of things suck, but line-up changes has been nothing new to this band. Also getting a bit sick of all the negativity towards 'Tobias' all of a sudden.

I'm torn.  Clearly Tobias was the main driving force from the beginning so I will not boycott Ghost but at the same time it is a bit disappointing how this went down.  Songs like He Is have such cool elements and that were added by the two guitarists so it isn't going to be the same.

If the music is good, then I'll continue to support them.  I do feel like my fandom might have minimized a bit. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #446 on: May 04, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »
If anyone is interested Martin's band Magna Carta Cartel released their EP today. It's quite good and follows the theme of the band.

MCC (Magna Carta Cartel)--The Demon King
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #447 on: May 07, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
If anyone is interested Martin's band Magna Carta Cartel released their EP today. It's quite good and follows the theme of the band.

Got it today (for some reason the singles are on Amazon but the EP isn't).  Really enjoying it.

Related, the new album form The Great Discord is dropping soon, and if the lead single is any indication, it will be an absolute monster.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #448 on: May 07, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »

Got it today (for some reason the singles are on Amazon but the EP isn't).  Really enjoying it.

Related, the new album form The Great Discord is dropping soon, and if the lead single is any indication, it will be an absolute monster.

Yeah, that MCC EP is fantastic. Really love the title track and Turn.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the new single from The Great Discord! That track sounds INSANE.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: June 05, 2017, 12:32:59 PM »
Made myself a youtube playlist for thier 8 song setlist as the opener for Iron Maiden. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8Xat1WaNEGujo2HcqUJ0ft28izviWux0 and kind of digging the tunes (and music videos). 

Apparently there's been another change with the drummer for this tour. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #450 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »
Uncensored Year Zero video is so random.

And yeah, the drummer change was noticeable. I don't like the way he plays Absolution, but other than that he's pretty good. I'll always miss Martin Hjerstadt though. He was great and energetic
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: June 07, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »
Made myself a youtube playlist for thier 8 song setlist as the opener for Iron Maiden. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8Xat1WaNEGujo2HcqUJ0ft28izviWux0 and kind of digging the tunes (and music videos). 

Apparently there's been another change with the drummer for this tour.

Never checked them out but I was watching some of their sets from Bristow and Philly. They look awesome!!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:17:45 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: June 08, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
Continuing to watch their performances opening for Maiden. The bass player is a great showman.

And I love Square Hammer and Cirice. The rest is meh.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #453 on: June 08, 2017, 06:56:22 PM »
Well, I am now torn.

Didn't have a lot of interest in them until seeing them open for maiden. Cirice is sooo damn addictive and I can't help but really enjoy Papa's schtick.

Definitely don't approve of the behind the scenes bullshit though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 08, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »
They were pretty solid live.  Honestly didn't think they'd sound so tight being mostly new band members, but yea that bassist is pretty sick with his stage presence.  The whole band was pretty rocking.

Ghost - From the Pinnacle to the Pits Live Prudential Center