Author Topic: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines  (Read 61619 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: The Threshold Thread v. Divided Lines
« Reply #595 on: May 27, 2023, 09:42:40 AM »
First single from Richard West side project, he is also singing...
OBLIVION PROTOCOL - Forests in the Fallout
https://youtu.be/Wma_iVqKRWw

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #596 on: May 27, 2023, 10:01:25 AM »
First single from Richard West side project, he is also singing...
OBLIVION PROTOCOL - Forests in the Fallout
https://youtu.be/Wma_iVqKRWw

Sounds just like Threshold, but I'm not too convinced by his vocals so far.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #597 on: May 27, 2023, 07:22:05 PM »
Sadly, kind of what I feared. Great music with lackluster vocals. Why didn't he just get Glynn to sing on it? No harm in that, or at least get someone who can sing better.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #598 on: July 05, 2023, 04:58:59 AM »
This Dividing Lines album keeps creeping back onto my speakers. Becoming more and more appreciative of the lyrics and Glynn as a vocalist. Really solid, growing songs.

Others have praised the sound but, if I were to nitpick, I find it a little too clean and the guitar a bit thin and crispy. Would go for a bit more beef, given the choice.

Overall, though, I've previously enjoyed these guys as a slightly cheesy, guilty fun pleasure but seeing them live and listening to DL a bunch has changed that.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online nick_z

« Reply #599 on: July 05, 2023, 05:28:27 AM »
Dividing Lines is fantastic. It steadily climbed my album rankings from last year…would likely make my 2022 top 10 now.

I think Morgan is perfect for the band, not just for his singing (which I love), but more generally for his contributions. It feels like he adds a certain “punch” to the songwriting.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #600 on: July 05, 2023, 08:00:07 AM »
I really liked his presence live too. Energetic and involving, while the rest are pretty "chilled", shall we say.  ;)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #601 on: August 18, 2023, 10:39:20 AM »
Listened to the OP album once and it's fine. The music is very well written, played and mixed but nothing really stood out. The singles were the most interesting songs, sadly.

Then there's the vocals... they aren't unlistenable or anything like that, but you can clearly tell they weren't performed by an actual singer, just a guy singing in tune.

Like I said, it's good, but I'm not sure how much staying power it'll have. I'd much rather listen to anything by Threshold than this.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #602 on: August 18, 2023, 10:56:49 AM »
Listened to the OP album once and it's fine. The music is very well written, played and mixed but nothing really stood out. The singles were the most interesting songs, sadly.

Then there's the vocals... they aren't unlistenable or anything like that, but you can clearly tell they weren't performed by an actual singer, just a guy singing in tune.

Like I said, it's good, but I'm not sure how much staying power it'll have. I'd much rather listen to anything by Threshold than this.

When you abbreviated with OP, I thought "Opening Post", and was thinking 'man, that doesn't seem right to describe Divided Lines that way.  That description holds perfectly for the Oblivion Proto -  oh ... yeah... nevermind'.   :rollin

But yeah, the middle comment of yours is spot on.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #603 on: August 18, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
 :rollin I should've been more specific. Definitely taking about Oblivion Protocol, which was released today :P

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #604 on: August 18, 2023, 07:36:58 PM »
Had a listen to 'Opening Post' this morning, sounds okay, but IMO the vocals would more suit 1980's pop.
Ample proof that Threshold fire because of three key elements, Karl Groom, Rich West and a strong vocalist.
OP only has one of these and it really shows  :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #605 on: August 18, 2023, 08:04:17 PM »
Ample proof that Threshold fire because of three key elements, Karl Groom, Rich West and a strong vocalist.
OP only has one of these and it really shows  :biggrin:

Indeed!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #606 on: September 16, 2023, 07:10:38 PM »
Having listened to the OP CD 6 times now, here's what I really think about it  :yarr
I described it as 'Threshold lite' on my reviews for Amazon and CD Japan, but on subsequent listens I'd go as far as to call it a decent Threshold demo.
It has a lot of Threshold DNA running through it, familiar sounds, melodies and similarities.
But when Rich West opens his mouth, that's where it ends for me, his voice is decent enough, but more suited to pop or even ambient genres.
The songs are pretty decent, couple of quite memorable tunes, but I can't see myself going back to this again and again.
As a stand alone release this is more than passable, but because it could have been potentially a follow up to 'Legends Of the Shires', I can't help thinking how good this would be with Glynn Morgan's voice and Karl Grooms lead guitar/songwriting input (although he plays on two songs here).