Author Topic: Soen (new album Memorial is out)  (Read 19040 times)

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
Soen (new album Memorial is out)
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:36 PM »
Can't get enough of knowing that Martin Lopez is back doing music.  I'll have to track down Cognitive on CD.  The music sounds like a fusion of Tool and Opeth.

In the meantime, Delanda has been rocking me big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWahoNCvVQ
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 08:52:35 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
Re: Soen (Martin Lopez/Steve DiGiorgio)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 12:09:06 AM »
When Tool and Opeth Unite. With some hints of Porcupine Tree for good measure.

While not the most original sounding album I've heard. it's damn good, Dark Prog Metal.

That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »
Sounds awesome at times but lordy is it hard to not consider the singer a total Maynard hack.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »
I like a lot. Also, Fretless Slapping Fo the word
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
Why does this thread has so little feedback? This is without a doubt one of the best albums released this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-6HAz5jbg

Offline adace

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
Excellent album. Lopez is still a beast of a drummer.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Excellent album. Lopez is still a beast of a drummer.

Yes he is. Opeth is not the same without him. Axeroth is very good, maybe more technically advanced but Lopez had that nice Latin jazz style that somehow fitted perfectly with Opeth's sound.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 07:35:19 AM »

While not the most original sounding album I've heard. it's damn good, Dark Prog Metal.

Well THAT certainly piqued my interest...  :eek

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:24:51 PM »

Well THAT certainly piqued my interest...  :eek
But it now! You won't be disappointed. If anything it feels a bit short but that's because the album is so good.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:07:48 AM »
"Tabula Rasa", the new video from SOEN — the Swedish progressive rock band featuring drummer Martin Lopez (ex-OPETH, AMON AMARTH), vocalist Joel Ekelöf (WILLOWTREE), guitarist Joakim Platbarzdis and bassist Stefan Stenberg — can be seen below. The song is taken from the group's sophomore studio album, "Tellurian", which will be released on November 4 via Spinefarm Records.

Soen - Tabula Rasa

Haven't heard their first album so I was a bit surprised on their sound but it sounds pretty damn cool actually. Will dig in some more!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:23:29 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 04:48:45 AM »
I wanted to start a thread on this band just now, but first I did a search just in case there was one already. Turns out there is. I had to dig up this thread, because the album this band released in 2014 (Tellurian) is bloody amazing. It was my 2nd favourite album of the year and this band needs more people's attention.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 06:33:58 AM »
My dad played it in the car and it was OK. I think the reason a lot of people will like it is also the same reasons why I didn't like it. It just sounds like a carbon copy of bands I already know, but worse. Tool is the obvious ripoff, and then there are elements of bands like Opeth and PT. I don't mind bands taking in influences from others, because most bands do it, but it really rubs me the wrong way when a band just feels like a much worse carbon-copy of something I like. Abigail's Ghost being a clear PT ripoff is another example.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
Yeah I picked this up because AMG was praising its qualities. Its definitely a wannabe Tool album, that's really all I can say at this point. Nothing's really stood out to me yet and I haven't had much urge to listen to it so right now I'm just kinda disappointed.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 03:59:50 AM »
Soen - Kuraman [Lyric video]

Really liking this!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 05:25:50 AM »
Funny how you bumped this topic now, as I'm seeing Soen live tonight :D

I've been listening to both albums and I like them, although the new one is a little more original than the debut.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 06:22:58 AM »
That's cool man!  :tup I hear alot of influences in this project with Tool being the obvious one. I don't mind it though, seeing as Tool being tools in getting their collective asses together and record something I don't mind hearing something in the same vein, unlike other genres we have room for plenty more tools.  :P

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 12:48:02 AM »
Strange fascination over the song Void at the moment.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »
Last Friday's gig was cool; it was at a small and intimate venue and I was standing just a few metres away from the stage. They had an additional touring musician playing keys and some percussion and guitar, which added to their live sound. Joel doesn't look like a stereotypical metal singer, but he's charismatic and sings with conviction. It was fun to see Lopez playing, since I never got to see him with Opeth. During the soundcheck there was some pretty intense drumming coming from behind the curtain - I don't know whether it was Martin or a drum tech, but it made me go "woah!".

The band's playing was really tight, but not mechanical or lacking fun, and there was an extended jam at the end of Void with some great guitar solos. You could sense that they were having a ball and loved to be there. The setlist included pretty much all of the new album except the closing track, and they also played 4 songs from the debut.

I also have to give props to the support band, Oddland: their music didn't blow me away, but they're good musicians, and it takes a lot of courage to play almost exclusively unreleased new material in a 35-minute set to a crowd that probably hadn't even heard their debut album before.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 05:56:49 AM »
Bump.

Just checked this band out last night. Very impressive stuff; Tellurian is basically what I always wanted Opeth to sound like. :lol :tup :hefdaddy

Apparently they have a new guitarist in the band that used to be in Evergrey? I'm interested in hearing how he does in their next album- whenever that comes out.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2015, 01:02:26 PM »
Bump.

Just checked this band out last night. Very impressive stuff; Tellurian is basically what I always wanted Opeth to sound like. :lol :tup :hefdaddy

Apparently they have a new guitarist in the band that used to be in Evergrey? I'm interested in hearing how he does in their next album- whenever that comes out.
Yea just checked it out, he was amongst the muscians that Tom recruited after Henrik and Jonas left in 2010 so he only was in Evergrey during the Glorious Collision stint. Either way i'm pumped for the next album!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 01:39:28 AM »
Soen just released "Sectarian" a new track from the upcoming album.

Go check it out if you've ever dug Soen, this might just be their best song ever, fantastic stuff!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
New song "Lucidity" is available on Spotify.

Slow song this time around, pretty great, even if not as good as Sectarian.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25:29 AM »
I might as well be the last remaining Soen fan on DTF :lol but whatever, the album is being released and is now streaming in full here:

https://teamrock.com/feature/2017-02-02/listen-to-the-new-album-from-soen-lykaia

On the second track now (first new one) and it's amazing, but I will reserve my thoughts until the weekend, when I've given this multiple listens.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
I was listening it today, pretty good album :tup of course, I will need more listens to get into it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »
This album is on my radar, but I pretty much don't have a chance to listen to it from any of the streaming service since I don't really listen to the new music at home.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »
...since I don't really listen to the new music at home.

Why?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
I guess it just happens that way, most of the new music I'm discovering I tend to listen on the road. Thankfully (not really) the road to work is ~90 minutes to get there and ~100-120 minutes to get back, so I usually can do two or three albums a day if I want to. After discovering new music that way, I guess I want something familiar when I'm home and relaxing after the working day.

I'm also usually at Teamspeak or other voice-chat programs with friends during the evening, so that makes discovering new music nearly impossible because I can't focus both at the music and the talking/listening part, so I usually put something familiar in the background.

Sometimes I do listen to the new music at home when I've got nothing else to do after work, but these occasions are pretty rare these days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
...the road to work is ~90 minutes to get there and ~100-120 minutes to get back...

Seems like you road to work is equivalent to my trip to the gym ;)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 02:35:44 AM »
So far my favourite moment on the album, apart from the pre-release material, has got to be the middle-eastern ish theme near the end of Jinn, fucking glorious.

The album just strikes me as modern Opeth, but stronger and more consistent in every aspect (no offense meant to the Opeth fans). From the 2017 albums ive listened to (not a lot), this is easily my favourite so far!

Offline Art

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 09:57:49 AM »
Lucidity is an awesome song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
gave it a spin. definitely sounds pretty fine but didn't really grab me the way tellurian did/is continuing to do. will probably spin it again regardless

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 08:57:17 AM »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
They do Opeth better than Opeth.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
They do Opeth better than Opeth.
That's because Martin Lopez was the heart and soul of Opeth.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar