Author Topic: The Offspring Appreciation Thread  (Read 9455 times)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Re: The Offspring Appreciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Oh jeezus...

Offspring... what's happened to you?  :'(

That re-recording of Dirty Magic had better be damn good or I might have to jump ship. Bob Rock may have officially murdered yet another once great band.
I think The Offspring have been doing this rather well on their own.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
Nothing will ever beat the original Dirty Magic. Beheaded '99 was inferior and DM will probably be worse.

Boo frickety hoo.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 09:38:46 PM »
Nothing will ever beat the original Dirty Magic. Beheaded '99 was inferior and DM will probably be worse.

Boo frickety hoo.
Beheaded '99? What is this witchcraft?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »

Boo frickety hoo.
Beheaded '99? What is this witchcraft?

Yep, it was on the Idol Hands soundtrack, and The Offspring performed it in the movie shortly before Dexter's scalp was ripped off.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »
The local rock radio station just played another new track from Offspring, something called Crusin' California.  It's absolute crap and possibly the worst Offspring song I've ever heard.  It's most likely a satire type song, I didn't really listen closely and I probably missed that, but I don't think I'll be wasting my time with this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:58:26 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:15 AM »
Yeah they've done a silly song like that on every album since Americana I think (Why Don't You Get A Job, When You're In Prison, etc). Have to say though, this new one is possibly the blandest of the lot.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 04:19:46 AM »
Yeah they've done a silly song like that on every album since Americana I think (Why Don't You Get A Job, When You're In Prison, etc). Have to say though, this new one is possibly the blandest of the lot.

Yeah, I'm totally familiar with all those songs, but this is just something else.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 07:57:51 AM »

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »

"When you're in Prison" was a great joke, but "Days go by" sounds very serious to me :'(

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »
Days Go By is a pretty great song. Crusing California is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, and it came from one of my favorite bands.  :-\
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »
My bad, I didn't notice that the discussion shifted to a different song :blush

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 12:59:54 PM »
What's wrong with Days Go By?

Yeah When You're In Prison is a joke song, but all their silly songs are, to varying degrees. I don't find this one much worse than Why Don't You Get A Job.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
I'm not a big fan of WDYGAJ, but it's still a million times better than Cruisin' California. It's like they're trying too hard to make that goofy song for the album, and they can't make them tolerable anymore... Or funny for that matter.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
I think it's slightly less lame, but I really don't think there's much in. I reckon the reason people have a far more positive feeling towards that song is that it's been around for years and people have gotten used to it. Plus, for many of us we got into that album when we were younger and so it has a certain nostalgia. But really, it's basically the same sort of thing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 03:20:15 PM »
Everyone loved that song when it came out. I wasn't one of them, but that and Pretty Fly were huge. This new song has nothing going for it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2012, 03:53:15 PM »
I like Pretty Fly, but I can't imagine why anyone would have liked WDYGAJ much. Maybe because it was a new idea, whereas now they've been doing it for a few albums, people are bored by it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 03:59:52 PM »
I like Pretty Fly, but I can't imagine why anyone would have liked WDYGAJ much. Maybe because it was a new idea, whereas now they've been doing it for a few albums, people are bored by it.

I was in 8th grade when it came out, so it was popular with the 12-13 year olds. As was Pretty Fly. But yeah, I know they wanna be goofy, and they know it'll get 'em an instant hit, but they need to give it a rest.

I've come to the point where they need to give their career a rest. I don't think there's any coming back now...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »
The local rock radio station still plays WDYGAJ quite often on the radio.  I never liked it, but it was popular, and it's lightyears better than this new garbage Kesha like song.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
About to wrap my first listen of the new album. On this one, The Offspring rip themselves off immensely in addition to other bands. I skipped that horrible California song, and another one where Dexter sings in a mexican accent. The remake of Dirty Magic, as predicted was lame, and the little things they added didn't improve on it, but instead lower the quality. I didn't like their remake of Beheaded either, but it was better that this. There are a couple songs on here that are alright, but those same songs contain rip offs and similarities from their past. I will say that with all its faults, it's still so much better than Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, but if they are going to continue ripping off the past, I think it's time to throw in the towel.   

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
Well, after I permanently delete Cruising California and OC Guns, this album will be pretty great. I'm not so sure about the Dirty Magic re-make (the chorus sounds an awful lot like Have You Ever now), but it's not cringeworthy.

It's really a damn shame that they tarnished this album with two of the worst songs I've ever heard, because the rest of it is awesome.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2012, 07:34:49 PM »
Well, after I permanently delete Cruising California and OC Guns, this album will be pretty great. I'm not so sure about the Dirty Magic re-make (the chorus sounds an awful lot like Have You Ever now), but it's not cringeworthy.

It's really a damn shame that they tarnished this album with two of the worst songs I've ever heard, because the rest of it is awesome.

If I had never heard any of their earlier albums, this album (besides those two abominations) would be pretty good to me too.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
I'm really not sure what you were expecting. All of their albums sound pretty similar. Why would they switch it up now?

Right, I changed my mind. I Wanna Secret Family is pretty lame too.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
I'm really not sure what you were expecting. All of their albums sound pretty similar. Why would they switch it up now?

Right, I changed my mind. I Wanna Secret Family is pretty lame too.

Besides the riff in Genocide and Change The World (which I'm certain was intentional) it wasn't until RAFRAG that they really started copying themselves, and this new album is really bad with it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
:lol They've copied themselves with pretty much every album. Never bothered me at all.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:34 AM »
:lol They've copied themselves with pretty much every album. Never bothered me at all.

How so? By keeping the same style? They aren't prog. I'm talking about actually copying melodies and riffs from their older songs.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
I have to be honest, with the exception of OC Guns and I Want A Secret Family With You, the new album is pretty good. I really hated Splinter and RAFRAG (although I loved the acronym for RAFRAG :lol ) but this is vast improvement. Take out OC Guns and Secret Family and you have a great album. Even California Cruisin' is a laugh, which I wasn't expecting. The first three tracks are great, and the title track has a bit more maturity than they've had before and it's something I want to hear from them way more than joke tracks or keeping to their roots by ripping off Ignition tracks. It's a step in the right direction and given me belief that they're aren't beyond saving.

Also they no longer sound bored in the studio anymore. I think that's what bugged me most about RAFRAG, more than the crappy songs. I don't mind crappy songs if you have some conviction in them, because at least then it has some value to someone.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
I'd say Dividing By Zero and Slim Pickens are probably the best songs they've done in a very long time. After forgetting about Cruisin' and OC Guns, this album holds up quite well. I left Secret Family in so it makes the good songs even better.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »
:lol True, plus another 30 minute album isn't ideal...
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
I don't know. Their first album was only 31 minutes, and it holds up pretty well among the classics (I know. I'm weird).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
The first album is awesome, and kinda metalish. Nothing weird about liking it.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
I do love me some first album. And I never really noticed it's run time. 31 mins including Kill The President (which isn't on my CD version for some reason). If you go under 30 minutes you're going into EP territory, which seems weird with 10-12 tracks :P Maybe I never noticed it because The Offspring are one of my first loves and before I got into anything progressive. There was a time where I thought Pay The Man was the longest song in the world :lol
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2012, 11:21:54 AM »
Pay the Man is brilliant. To this date, it's their crowning achievement.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »
Pay the Man is brilliant. To this date, it's their crowning achievement.

UNTIL THEY MAKE THEIR 20 MINUTE EPIC!!!! AMIRITE?!?!?!?

But yes, you're right.

From wikipedia:

Track 11 was removed from album printings after June 2001. On the official Offspring website, "Kill the President" is not mentioned in the track list.

I'm guessing for some politically correct bullshit reason.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2012, 01:24:47 AM »
Wow, The Offspring topic! I didn't know about this one. I'm a fan of The Offspring since 97 more or less.

Do not judge this fantastic album by CC, listen to the whole album, because it is awesome. Especially the last two songs, dividing by Zero and Slim Pickens.
I like a lot this new album and the renewed Dirty Magic sounds better than before.

I don't understand why some people blame a lot against CC or OCG...cmon those are just fun songs and I really can't see the difference with songs like WDYGAJ and CC...those are the same kind of songs. The Offspring had always these kind of fun-pop songs.