Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster  (Read 56555 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I really like The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR. I got it from the Omega Order sale last year for only a couple of bucks and it was worth much more than I paid. I'll check out Mabool next.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Great band :tup

Probably not too underrated on these boards though ;)

I thought you hated them? ???

How the hell?

And if Elite was taking a jab at the band, the WPAPU regulars know his tastes are of the most non-Elite.

I've never said anything bad about this band on there either. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard Orphaned Land on WPAPU and I've never discussed them in the chat there either.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I was referring to your other discussions  ;D

And Mabool is better, so if you like ORwarriOR get ready for awesomeness.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Halftime!!
« Reply #528 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
Recap:

50. Pinnacle
49. Zero Hour
48. Turisas
47. Eumeria
46. It Bites
45. Kaddisfly
44. Eternity X
43. Vonassi
42. Worlds
41. The Tangent
40. Circle II Circle
39. Intronaut
38. Grayceon
37. Haggard
36. Ice Age
35. Mystery
34. Wuthering Heights
33. The ANABASIS
32. Scar Symmetry
31. Pagan's Mind
30. Cloudscape
29. Ben Folds Five / Ben Folds
28. Pendragon
27. Epica / Mayan
26. Kevin Gilbert / Toy Matinee
25. Alcest
24. Enslaved
23. Avantasia
22. Henning Pauly / Chain / Frameshift
21. Savatage
20. Karmakanic
19. Vanishing Point
18. Clockwork
17. Amaran's Plight
16. Beyond The Bridge
15. Dan Swanö
14. Leprous
13. Flaming Row
12. Power of Omens
11. Tetrafusion
10. Slough Feg
9.  Orphaned Land

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
A little interlude here...I have some new albums from two of the next three bands that I want to digest a little.  Furthermore I'm starting to think the band I originally had at 6 might be too well known, despite the fact that it had no thread dedicated to it when I made this list.  I'm debating replacing it with one that I originally left off because of ties to a well known band, so I want some time to go through that discogrophy again because it's been a criminally long time since I've done so.  I'm really leaning toward the switch, and which ever decision I make I'll let you know which one got the axe.

So as to not make this go too long without any sort of update, here are some acts that I either discovered after the list was made and some one album wonders that are worth at least a cursory look to some of you.  In some cases, both.  I'll use throw these out there when I need an extra day for a write-up, but I'm really not sure they are even being read at this point.  Listed in alphabetical order:

Part one:

Altura - Mercy:  One album wonder released this decent album in the mid 90s.  Not top shelf stuff, but if you like standard prog-metal fair this is a pretty decent album, as it has a few catchy tunes that I can still hear in my head all these years later.  I won't call people out, but I can name at least 5 people that would really dig this album.

Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs:  Got this last year, but I've known about them for a while thanks to Sigz.  Real simple formula: if you like Alcest (#25), you must get this.

Baroness: My favorite sludge metal band.  Not for everyone's taste here, particularly the old guard I'm guessing. Their last double album really saw them grow and break new territory.

Burning Point: Quickly becoming my favorite power metal band, probably because they are the least cheesy power metal band ever.  If you like power metal, give these guys a spin.  Their last two albums are both really good, and I wrote a review of the most recent one for Nick here: https://www.wpapu.com/rev064.html

Cairo:  They got that old 70s Yes / ELP sound going for them.  Good stuff if you like it.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
Baroness is fuckin awesome. Everyone should check them out.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline adace

Baroness is fuckin awesome. Everyone should check them out.
This.

Offline SoundscapeMN

I'm actually surprised there never was a topic about Orphaned Land, as there was a lot of anticipation for their last record, including the fact Steven Wilson was going to be (and ultimately was) involved. And the fact they played ProgPowerUSA a couple of times, plus did a full scale US tour a few years ago.

Altura I'm sure some know of, as when Mercy came out, among many other bands on the Magna Carta label;, that never caught on quite like Enchant or Shadow Gallery. Had they not broken up, they might have found a similar level of interest. I might say the same about a band like The Quiet Room (although they weren't on Magna Carta).

One band, I hope I'm not guessing/revealing one of the groups left, but 1 band I would almost expect with the same appeal, as for example on mp.com were rather big not too long after were, Dali's Dilemma. DTVT might have them on his list, but if not, they're a band who also were rather popular a little over 10 years ago in the prog metal/DT communities.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:50:25 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
I started a topic for Orphaned Land like a year ago or something.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
I've tried Orphaned Land, but It them to stick.

TAC  i've read this 5 or 6 times and still can't figure out what the hell your trying to say
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I've tried Orphaned Land, but It them to stick.

TAC  i've read this 5 or 6 times and still can't figure out what the hell your trying to say
:lol I see what you mean!
Damn autocorrect!!

I was trying to say that Ive tried OP but I can't get them to stick meaning it doesn't hook me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
This video contains content from Starz Media LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Unsurprisingly. Placing whole films on Youtube surely can't be legal.
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Yo Mason, is this still going? Happy to put you on hold again if you need more time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Work had kicked me in the groin the past month, but spring break is this week, so I'll get cracking

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster
« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
8. Fish - Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors, Internal Exile, Suits, Sunsets on Empire, Raingods With Zippos, Field of Crows, *live album* Uncle Fish and the Crypt Keepers

Genre: 80s era progressive rock
For fans of: Marillion’s first four albums.  Well crafted, heartfelt, honest lyrics
What makes him special:  To many people, what made the frist four Marillion albums special was Fish.  Much like how many people here see Kevin Moore, Fish’s songwriting skills simply couldn’t be replaced when he went solo.  Thankfully, he continued to put out quality albums.

Derek Dick, better known by his stage name Fish, has been one of my favorite songwriters for as long as I’ve known progressive music.  While I discovered H era Marillion first, Fish era became my favorite as I discovered the back catalog.  Even though he was the singer, what Fish-era Marillion had was great songs.  Songs with feeling.  Songs with heart.  Songs with soul.  Well, at least with more feeling, heart, and soul than most people/bands write.  Scars and all, Fish bears it all for us, and his open book makes for some fantastic, touching music.

Much like Marillion, Fish’s sound has evolved through albums.  His first two solo efforts, Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors and Internal Exile harken most to his Marillion roots, but even these early efforts show some new directions.  The first two albums are where Fish’s lyric writing abilities absolutely shine.  Most of my favorite Fish songs are on these first two albums, which is why I also included the live album Uncle Fish and the Crypt Keepers, because it is a mix of the best songs from the first two albums as well as some Fish-era Marillion songs.  For this reason it is one of my favorite live albums, and it gets regular spins from me.

As time has moved on, so has Fish.  He’s gotten away from the early-Marillion sounding albums and has forged a nice little niche where he keeps putting out quality albums under the radar.  In hindsight, a splitting was the best thing to happen for music listeners.  This whole post is not meant as a slight to the current Marillion lineup.  If I had not liked my first exposure to Marillion (that would be Radiation and Marillion.com if you’re wondering), I may never have followed an old friend’s recommendation of Misplaced Childhood back in 1999.  Each have forged their own path, and what we have is the best of both worlds – Old Marillion with a jazzy influence and New Marillion simultaneously.  Admittedly, I still need some of Fish’s more recent albums since I try to buy directly from him so he gets a bigger cut, and every time I listen to Suits and his later albums I wonder why I don’t listen to them more because I do thoroughly enjoy them, I think my absolute love of his first two albums and that live album get away.

Even if you aren’t familiar with Marillion, you need to check Fish (and Marillion) out.

Tracks to try:  Vigil,* Big Wedge*, Cliché, Shadowplay*, Credo, Internal Exile*, Lady Let It Lie, Fortunes of War, Emperor’s Song, Goldfish and Clowns*, What Colour Is God?*, Sunsets on Empire, Tumbledown, Plague of Ghosts (suite), Moving Targets, Exit Wound, Scattering Crows

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster
« Reply #542 on: March 10, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
And in case you were wondering, Fish was left off originally because his connection to Marillion, and replaced Threshold.  There was no Threshold thread when I compiled the list, but their last album got people talking so I switched it up.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Nick, ytserush, and I can't be the only Fish fans here.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

I like Fish's work with Marillion (even though I'm a much bigger fan of the Hogarth era) but I'm not too familiar with his solo work. I have Internal Exile, which I haven't listened to yet. I guess I should give it a try!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Great band :tup

Probably not too underrated on these boards though ;)

I thought you hated them? ???

How the hell?

I have no idea how I missed this, but Orphaned Land got scored really low in your roulette, IIRC. That was why I had assumed that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Not familiar with Fish' solo stuff will defineately have to check it out. I stopped listening to Marillion after Fish left the band. H never has and never will cut it for me .

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Nick, ytserush, and I can't be the only Fish fans here.

*ahem*

Fish is one of my musical idols, period. He is hands down the best lyricist out there, and is also one of the best frontmen. If you want something really special, check out the Fortunes of War collection of singles, four singles set to four disc, with the extra tracks all being from acoustic shows. Some downright scary awesome stuff there.

So happy to see Fish getting some love here. :heart

Offline Lowdz

I too am a big fan of Fish's first two albums, plus RWZ. I still prefer Fish era Marillion- nothing I've heard from the Hoggarth era has changed that.

Great lyricist, great frontman, not the greatest singer but he uses what he's got well. I absolutely love the Internal Exile song. Might even get me dancing. Wouldn't be a pretty sight though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Good thing I accidentally started writing up #6 last night and caught myself before posting.  Lots of people late to the Fish party, but glad to see people wandering in.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Well, nice to see this back, and just in time for a new Fish record this summer.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster
« Reply #551 on: August 18, 2013, 06:34:38 AM »

C'mon man... you only got 7 more to go!

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster
« Reply #553 on: August 18, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
trippy. i was actually thinking of this thread as i went to open the site. was thinking of doing a search on it til i got hit in the face w/ a volleyball.