Author Topic: Dr. DTVT's 50 Underappriciated bands v. Better than the Loch Ness Monster  (Read 56485 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Well, the mods erased my old thread.

ĦQue lastima!  It's ok.  First of all, it was out of date.  I've aquired around 200 more albums since that list and my tastes have definitely changed.  Also, at this point in time I've been here for almost 3 years and hopefully people will care more about my opinion compared to 2.5 years ago, so hopefully it the thread gets more traffic.

If any of you remember my last list, I really didn't care to do write-ups for well known bands like DT, Opeth, Iron Maiden, Rush, etc., and I still don't.  If you haven't discovered those kinds of bands, you either are just discovering DTF or you are predisposed to not check them out and nothing I say will change your mind.  Furthermore, I don't really have anything to add to why I like those albums - they're classics for a reason.  This means my top 50 would be rather boring - Opeth, Devin Townsend, Rush, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, and Spock's Beard all probably have multiple albums in my top 50.  I didn't even bother compiling that list.  So, this is a list of bands and albums (because I couldn't narrow it to 50 albums) that aren't really discussed as much as I think they should be.  Because I'm using bands a mix of bands and albums, as I approach the top there will be fewer one-off albums and more bands.    I'll include some genres the band/artist is considered, as well as a "for fans of" so people can try to guage their interest in a band.  Of course I'd prefer that you read the whole band, but if you aren't interested in a certain type of music I'll try to save you time.

In addition to not seeing bands that already have enough notariety, I'm going to list a few bands I have gotten into recently that I'm not including just because I'm still getting familiar with them and don't really have the knowledge to give them a proper write-up.  In alphabetical order:

Baroness
Cloudkicker
Communic
maudlin of the Well
The Ocean
Swallow the Sun
Time Machine

A few of these albums would make my overall top 50 albums, and just because the others wouldn't doesn't mean they're bad albums; as most of you know my music collection is approaching 900 albums, of which I'd say about 830 are ones I could listen to almost any day and enjoy.  So, hopefully you enjoy the list and don't recognize too much, although when I do come mention something you like, feel free to support my choice as it may encourage others to check them out - which is the goal of my list - not to just to get people to complement my taste.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:25:05 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated albums/bands v. THE MODS SCREWED ME
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:27:25 PM »
Glad to see roulettes work how they should!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
Inb4 DTVT posts bands not even the band members's parents know of
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated albums/bands v. Starting at the top...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »
50.  Pinnacle - Meld

Genre:  Heavy Prog
For fans of:  Fish-era Marillion who like more instrumental bits.

Nekov's comment might not be too far off in this first album :)  I'm starting with one of the more obscure artists on this list - because the best way to buy their albums is directly from the band.  I think the best way to describe this band is they sound like a more modern version of Clutching at Straws Marillion.  While the vocals are serviceable, the real highlight of this album is Karl Eisenheart's proggy guitar and synth work that have a Steve Morse flavor I could just groove on and use to block out the rest of the world for a short period of time.  This is one of the more mellow albums I own and I tend to reach for it when life has me frustrated and I need something I can space out on.  I still need to pick up their first album, which I'll probably get when their third album - which they are working on - is completed.

Tracks to try out: Information Overload, Built for Speed (for Eliza Dushku) (instrumental), The Life in a Year

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »
I got a feeling your list is gonna cost me a ton of money.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 05:40:38 AM »
Pinnacle is from my area and I've gotten to see them twice and very much enjoy them. Very good album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 05:55:04 AM »
I got a feeling your list is gonna cost me a ton of money.

Was thinking the exact same thing.  Never heard of this band, and I'm really looking forward to this list.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
I got a feeling know your list is gonna cost me a ton of money.

Fixed.  I've been dreading this list... in the same way that I would dread a night at a Vegas strip club.  This is gonna be awesome  - and expensive (as I doubt many of these will be out on Grooveshark, or at my normal online store - yup, 0 for 1 so far).

I predict I'll know 9 of the bands/albums.  I'd be very surprised if I hit double digits.  There better be at least one (Ayreon-like concept album) that I'll know... and you know which album I'm talking about.  Curious to see how high that one is.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 06:26:19 AM »
Flaming Row? Yeah, that better be on here.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 06:29:21 AM »
Flaming Row? Yeah, that better be on here.

Given the 535 listen's on his last.fm for it, I think it's a pretty safe call.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 07:10:11 AM »
Will follow.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
Definitely following.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated albums/bands v. The Time is at Hand...
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
49.  Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice, Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, and Dark Deceiver

Genre: Fairly technical prog metal, but not tech metal
For fans of:  Impressive guitar runs that manage to not sound like wankery.

I have another album as well, but I'm not familiar enough with it to include it.  Zero Hour has a sound that they practically own and have trademarked, much like its usually pretty obvious when you hear a Redemption song and you know its Redemption.  Zero Hour is the brainchild of Jasun Tipton (guitar) and Troy Tipton (bass).  The real draw to this band is the guitar work, as Jasun (yes, that's how his name is spelled) constantly weaves complex runs and arpeggios into the tapestry of music, yet manages to have it not sound like musical wankery.  The band has had three vocalists, with their current one Chris Salinas being my favorite as he conveys the most feeling and he has the most range.  Through the years, the band has adopted a more balanced sound, Towers of Avarice being the most impressive guitar sounding album, and Specs and Dark Deceiver having a more rounded out sound.  Their album lengths also set them apart, as they tend to clock in at around the 45 minute mark, so they're great for people with short attention spans or just prefer shorter albums.  About the only way to decide if you like these guys is to dive in, and I suspect we'll find more buyers than sellers.

Tracks to try out: The Towers of Avarice, Stratagem, The Falcon's Cry, Evidence of the Unseen, Power to Believe, Inner Spirit

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated albums/bands v. Accordion and violin time
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:18 PM »
48.  Turisas - Battle Metal, The Varangian Way, Stand Up and Fight!

Genre: Folk metal, Viking metal
For fans of:  Alestorm, Amon Amarth

Time to get away from prog for a minute.  While this isn't the only band on my list that has a full time violin player, I'm pretty sure it is the only to feature a full time accordion player.  While Turisas hasn't been around as long as Alestorm or Amon Amarth, I consider them to be far better band than those two.  Turisas manages to stay true to it's viking metal roots, but they largely are able to avoid the campiness that those two bands (particularly Alestorm) have at times.  While there is some harsh vocals, I would say Turisas uses less harsh vocals than Amon Amarth.  Their sound can be summed up in one word: EPIC.  When I'm feeling lethargic and want a boost of energy, often times I turn to Turisas.  After watching their "A Finnish Summer with Turisas" DVD, I absolutely must see them live.

Tracks to try: As Torches Rise, Battle Metal, To Holmgard and Beyond*, Cursed Be Iron, Fields of Gold*, Take the Day!*, Stand Up and Fight, Fear the Fear
*check stared tracks first*

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »
Never took the time to check Turisas as I'm not into viking metal that much, but will on your recommendation.  Zero Hour sounds very interesting and going to check them out as soon as I get home!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 04:02:20 AM »
OK.  I'm with lonestar and I must check out all 3 of these bands.  Very interested in this list!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 04:25:21 AM »
Mason, which one of those 3 Zero Hour cd's is the best to get.  I'm gonna order one, which one?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »
You used Turisas in someone's roulette I was in with you ... Nick's I think.  I remember trying to find them to listen to, but again, too obscure to find online.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 06:13:58 AM »
I have Zero Hour's Dark Deciever. I really don't listen to it because this album is so devoid of melody, it's both frustrating and unlistenable. Chris Salinas is excellent, not quite as strong as 80's Tate. Musicianship is top notch but there are no hooks on this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 06:17:09 AM »
You used Turisas in someone's roulette I was in with you ... Nick's I think.  I remember trying to find them to listen to, but again, too obscure to find online.
He used them in mine, it was a pretty good song. I'm sure Spotify has some!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 06:18:27 AM »
He used them in mine, it was a pretty good song. I'm sure Spotify has some!

I'll keep that in mind when Spotify gets off their asses and launches in Canada!   >:(

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »
Ah yeah, forgot you're Canadian. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »
I'm really hoping you post some band I know of. So far I'm 0-3 here.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »
1/3 so far.
Zero Hour sounds interesting, giving that a try for sure.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
wolfking, I'd start with either Specs or Dark Deceiver because those albums have Chris Salinas.  Go with whatever is cheaper :)  I've had Specs and Towers significantly longer than Dark Deceiver and A Fragile Mind (not included because I haven't gotten around to listening yet), but the only other Zero Hour fan I know of at DTF prefers Towers, with Dark Deceiver second if I'm remembering correctly.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTVT's 50 Underappriciated albums/bands v. Admiral Akbar's brain
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:20 AM »
47.  Eumeria - Rebel Mind

Genre: Prog Metal
For Fans of: Dream Theater, Circus Maximus

Eumeria is a new band to the scene, having only released their debut album last year.  They have some similarities to DT, a powerful vocalist with great range and a very talented drummer.  It's not that I don't want to say much about this album, but it really is just a very solid debut album that any fan of prog metal should enjoy.

Tracks to try: Legion, Delusions, Rebel Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
I picked up Eumeria's album after Mebert linked them over the summer. Good stuff indeed, especially as a holdover between Circus Maximus albums! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
wolfking, I'd start with either Specs or Dark Deceiver because those albums have Chris Salinas.  Go with whatever is cheaper :)  I've had Specs and Towers significantly longer than Dark Deceiver and A Fragile Mind (not included because I haven't gotten around to listening yet), but the only other Zero Hour fan I know of at DTF prefers Towers, with Dark Deceiver second if I'm remembering correctly.

Alright mate, sounds like it's a win whichever way I look at it.  Ordering tonight!!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:22:02 PM by wolfking »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »
I picked up Eumeria's album after Mebert linked them over the summer. Good stuff indeed, especially as a holdover between Circus Maximus albums! :lol

Yeah, but way heavier and way more technical than Circus Maximus.  Best new prog metal I've heard in the last 6 months. Good ole Texas boys.

:tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:40 PM »

Yeah, but way heavier and way more technical than Circus Maximus.  Best new prog metal I've heard in the last 6 months. Good ole Texas boys.

:tup

Damn, another album to get and we are only up to number 47!!  :lol

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
@ wolfking: the towers of avarice is a masterpiece.

@ DTVT: your list has me intrigued, and i shall follow.

also @ DTVT: i'm curious what you think of that Cynthesis album they did last year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
Just check Rebel Mind on youtube, holy shit!!!  I remember Mebert's thrad about them, but never really took notice, but after watching it again, it's incredible.  Ordering that album also!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
Towers is the album to start with for Zero Hour.  I believe I'm with the majority of fans of the band in saying they never topped it.  Good chance it will be in my top 10 when I do my list.

The Lipton brothers are Zero Hour, whoever the singer is doesn't matter.  Dark Deceiver might match it in quality if it weren't for that blasted child's voice.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »
@ DTVT: i'm curious what you think of that Cynthesis album they did last year.

Haven't heard it.  While I'm not terribly high on Eric Rosveld's singing, I like the drummer they have and I obviously like the Tipton brothers, so I'll have to check them out.