Author Topic: Letting music become an obsession  (Read 8404 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: Letting music become an obsession
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »
I've never heard of someone throwing their iPod in a drain because they fear they're listening to music too much. 
Makin' history. :hat
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »
Did you seriously throw your ipod down a gutter?  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
Ħ,

Actually, I don't believe you.  You can't be that stupid that you would put an iPod down the drain.  You just can't be.  Not when selling it to a pawn shop or giving it as a gift is an option.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
Do you really believe me? Do you really not believe me?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »
I think you're doing a poor job trying to troll us.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with trashing stuff you don't want anymore. Not everyone cares about money, Professor Rouser.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
Dear H,

I am writing to you in case you were serious about having thrown your iPod down the gutter. If you were not serious about that, then you may disregard the majority of this letter and skip down the the section marked sarcasm.

It is my humble opinion, H, that you should not have done that with the iPod. First of all, it is still my opinion that the music was never the problem; you were only having trouble reconciling your emotions with the music. If my analysis was correct, then getting rid of your iPod was not at all necessary, because it wasn't what was causing the problem.

But you made your decision, and I'm not going to say it was wrong to get rid of your iPod. What I do disagree with is the manner of disposal. I offer three better options, which you may consider in case you find yourself in a similar situation in the future:

1) Giving the iPod as a gift. Here, you as well as the recipient derive benefit.
2) Selling the iPod on eBay, in a pawnshop, etc. Again, this is a win-win situation for you and the purchaser.
3) Disposing of it in a proper manner. If no one is willing to take the iPod off your hands, doing this wouldn't necessarily benefit anybody, but it wouldn't hurt anybody either.

(What you did was not a proper disposal. Throwing an iPod into a sewer will inevitably hurt the environment in some way -- sewage systems are not built to handle electronics. Many stores that sell electronics, such as Best Buy, have bins for recycling.)

Do consider these options, and do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

theseoafs

Sarcasm: Congratulations! You said something in jest and I took you seriously. I apologize for whatever inconvenience I have caused you. Do enjoy this video of a small dog with a poorly spelled name. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNh9C6S4-6M

theseoafs

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »
If you actually did throw it down the sewer, you're an incredible ass for not properly disposing of it.  There is a reason they have special places for disposing of electronics waste, where they can recover and remove the components like bromine-containing flame retardants and lead from solder.

EDIT:  theseoafs beat me to the recycling thing, so obviously I'm not the only one thinking it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:19 PM »
If I forgot about how important the environment is, then I'm an irresponsible consumer. Not an ass. An ass is someone who goes out of his way to bash people he doesn't even know.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »
If you actually did throw it down the sewer, you're an incredible ass for not properly disposing of it.  There is a reason they have special places for disposing of electronics waste, where they can recover and remove the components like bromine-containing flame retardants and lead from solder.

EDIT:  theseoafs beat me to the recycling thing, so obviously I'm not the only one thinking it.

If I forgot about how important the environment is, then I'm an irresponsible consumer. Not an ass. An ass is someone who goes out of his way to bash people he doesn't even know.

You both need to stop taking jabs at each other.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
Why does it feel like I'm being trolled? 

And if not...somehow this doesn't exactly feel like it was the solution. More like a symptom of the actual problem.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »
Would you tell a smoker or a junk food addict that their ingesting of malnutritious material is not actually the problem, rather their problem lies in "deeper psychological issues"?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 11:08:02 PM »
H did what any sensible person should do if they suffer the misfortune of owning an Apple product: throw it down the drain.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
Would you tell a smoker or a junk food addict that their ingesting of malnutritious material is not actually the problem, rather their problem lies in "deeper psychological issues"?

Sometimes, yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »

Sometimes, yes.
Agreeable answer, but that wouldn't be your 'default' diagnosis, would it? I'd say you solve the obvious problem at hand, and if emotional issues persist, then continue your investigation.

Online Adami

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »

Sometimes, yes.
Agreeable answer, but that wouldn't be your 'default' diagnosis, would it? I'd say you solve the obvious problem at hand, and if emotional issues persist, then continue your investigation.

If you like the idea of giving out band-aids all the time, sure. But people do things for reasons. If you felt "obsessed" with music or whatever, then you had a reason to do that. Throwing away the Ipod may solve the problem, however it didn't appear out of thin air for no reason. But if you're not interesting in why you do what you do, but only what you do, then that's your call and if you're happy with it, then that's what matters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »
That is my default diagnosis in this case because music is completely benign. It is, for all intents and purposes, not possible to develop an addiction to music.

If you feel uncomfortable out in public without your iPod, that means that you're just an uncomfortable person and you were using the iPod for isolative purposes. This is not the same thing as, for example, a smoker who gets jittery without cigarettes.

EDIT: Not that it really matters. None of us really know what's going on inside of your head. This is just something to chew on.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:11 PM »
If you feel uncomfortable out in public without your iPod, that means that you're just an uncomfortable person and you were using the iPod for isolative purposes.
Taking away the mental shelter can only be helpful, wouldn't you agree?

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »
If you feel uncomfortable out in public without your iPod, that means that you're just an uncomfortable person and you were using the iPod for isolative purposes.
Taking away the mental shelter can only be helpful, wouldn't you agree?

No. Because you're essentially just conforming to societies standards of being able to be out in public without music.

Personally, I hate going out without my Ipod. I have social anxiety and would get super anxious and nervous when I'd go out without it or without a friend or something. But this is just who I am. Throwing away my Ipod won't solve my anxiety issues.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
H did what any sensible person should do if they suffer the misfortune of owning an Apple product: throw it down the drain.

Gadough..... you're alright. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
what the fuck is going on in this thread
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:15 PM »
Personally, I hate going out without my Ipod. I have social anxiety and would get super anxious and nervous when I'd go out without it or without a friend or something. But this is just who I am. Throwing away my Ipod won't solve my anxiety issues.
But being without your ipod forces you to confront the problem doesn't it? In the end, you might solve your social anxiety because you shut the door behind you.

Online Adami

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 11:31:42 PM »
But being without your ipod forces you to confront the problem doesn't it? In the end, you might solve your social anxiety because you shut the door behind you.

No, it doesn't. You're not confronting your problem. The action is just a manifestation of the reason. You're confronting the action, not the reason.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »
We've got a regular Steven Wilson on our hands.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »

Just H over-analyzing the fuck out of every aspect in his life, nothing out of the ordinary.

Online Adami

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 11:35:48 PM »

Just H over-analyzing the fuck out of every aspect in his life, nothing out of the ordinary.

ITT Brother H slowly turns into Andy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:41 PM »
I let music affect me regardless what state of mind I am in.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2012, 11:39:16 PM »
This thread...

Offline darkshade

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 11:45:50 PM »
As I read this thread I can't stop thinking this:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »
Assuming this is serious, allow me to be a little less flippant here.

I know all too well how addiction works. Personal confession time: I am a recovering alcoholic. Seventeen years of sobriety as of January 18.  And I can tell you, from my experiences since then, that there is something about me that is prone to addiction regardless of the fact that I stopped drinking. There is something in my personality prone to it. My habit of buying more books than I can possibly read, more albums than I can possibly listen to-I overdo things. I am aware of this and strive to apply the same level of self restraint to everything else that I do with my alcoholism.

I can tell you from experience that, if you genuinely have a problem with addiction, you have barely scratched the surface of dealing with the issue by just throwing away an iPod, assuming you actually did. You still have the underlying issue, the underlying problem. I don't think you're addicted to music at all, but you clearly have problems that need to be faced if the thought process you went through in this thread actually occurred.

And if it didn't, well, fuck it. Think I proved I know something about addiction.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »

Offline darkshade

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 11:55:25 PM »
the line will continue

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 11:57:18 PM »
H since you seem to like graphs/charts so much....

Offline Ħ

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
There's no way I'm throwing away my computer, dude.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2012, 12:00:58 AM »

Gadough..... you're alright. :hat

I'm actually posting this on my Macbook Pro while listening to music on my iPod Classic and periodically texting a friend on my iPhone

was being sarcastic lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.