Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 305193 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »
Okay, I'm now caught up on watching all the videos mentioned in this thread (plus Cruel Summer, because even though it's Bananarama and not The Bangles, I still always think of that song when I think of the Bangles for some reason).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
I've always been too critical for my own good, and it often stops me from enjoying things that other people enjoy.  The first time I saw the "Walk Like an Egyptian" video, I thought it was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard and seen.  I still believe that.  There's the ancient paintings with the dudes posed with their arms like that, but for fuck's sake, they didn't actually walk around like that.  And even if they did, it still looks completely stupid.

Even though Susannah was adorable, this video didn't even fit into the "turn the sound down and just watch the babes" category for me.  The Bangles had much better videos for that.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
Susanna Hoffs was one of my biggest crushes.  That is all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 10:53:52 AM »
Also, that scene in "The Allnighter"?  Yeah.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »

This.
I bought the Bangles' first single (remember them?)- Hero Takes A Fall- after seeing it on the Whistle Test program here in the UK. Good song but I think I was swayed by Susannah tbh.

Pat Benatar was the one who did it for me- before she went lesbian-chic in the mid-eighties. Remember watching a live concert on tv and becoming hooked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
Speaking of Pat Benatar...

Pat Benatar - Shadows of the Night

Hands down, one of my favorite songs of the 80s when I was growing up, and I still love it.  That chorus is the definition of a perfect pop rock chorus, and the song even rocks quite a bit.  And how much corny fun was the video?  I can never listen to this song loud enough when it comes on. :hat

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
Good song, but she could never recreate the powerhouse that was Crimes of Passion, such a killer album. And yes, loved her too. :heart

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »
I'm with everybody about Hazy Shade Of Winter.  Never was a fan of Walk Like An Egyptian.

Shadow In The Night was a letdown for me at the time but it grew on me and I really like it now.  Was a bigger fan of Little Too Late from the same album.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »
*Waits for Depeche Mode/The Cure/New Order/The Smiths* :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »
Shadows of the Night had a ridiculously infectious chorus.  Very catchy.  Good stuff.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

And all I have to say about Shadows of the Night is: one mention of the song and the damn chorus is ALREADY stuck in my head!  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »
Kev, my bud and I always sing Shadows of The Night on Rockband so if you can imagine two dudes singing falsetto to that song you'd die laughing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »
Kev, my bud and I always sing Shadows of The Night on Rockband so if you can imagine two dudes singing falsetto to that song you'd die laughing.

Who does the high harmomy?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
I do it and then I don't speak for a week.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
Awesome thread, thanks for doing it!!  Is this love is a great ballad; pure cheese, but great.  Hot for teacher is a classic video.  Don't know much about Bangles

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »

:rollin

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
Seeing how I graduated from high school in 1988, I'm definitely following this thread.

Songs thus far:

1.  Like Mister jingle, I agree that it was the worst song on an otherwise kickass record.  So mush so that I remember seeing Whitesnake open for Motley Crue on the Girls Girls Girls tour, and I thought that Whitesnake blew the Crue AWAY that night.

2.  Ah, yes... Hot For Teacher.  GREAT video, always liked it a lot.  Didn't have cable while I was living in Houston (long story) so I'd have to rely on either staying over at friend's houses for my MTV fix or a show called Friday Night Videos every Friday on NBC.  The song still holds up, but the video made it that more legendary.  You can't argue with DLR's antics OR the kids they got to play the VH dudes.

3.  Never liked The Bangles too much, but I gained a little more appreciation for them when I found out Prince had written Manic Monday.  I prefer their cover of Hazy Shade of Winter, but I've warmed up to WLAE over the years.  BUT... the song reminds me of my older brother's parody of it, Walk With An Erection. :lol

4.  I prefer Pat's stuff that came before Shadows of the Night.  Her "80s" persona, IMO, killed her hard-rocking persona too quickly.  This song stands NO chance against Heartbreaker, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Hell Is For Children, or Promises in the Dark.

And I'm caught up. :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »

:rollin

:lol  Seriously.  I tell my bud I have to warm up singing other songs before I tackle that!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »

4.  I prefer Pat's stuff that came before Shadows of the Night.  Her "80s" persona, IMO, killed her hard-rocking persona too quickly. This song stands NO chance against Heartbreaker, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Hell Is For Children, or Promises in the Dark.

This lady speaks truth.  That album kicked so much fucking ass.

@king, you singing that song is a visual I did not need to start my day. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2012, 09:07:35 AM »
Def Leppard - Photograph

If you were listening to music almost anywhere in 1983, it was impossible not to hear this song all of the time.  Anyone remember Friday Night Video Fights on MTV?  Yeah, this song dominated, winning like 10 or 11 weeks in a row, which I believe was the record for quite a long time (and maybe forever).  Personally, I like this song, but it was never a favorite, even at the time, and still isn't.  But I do like it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
Loved this song, I actually had to hide that fact though so as to not seem a poser to my metalhead friends.  Also held me from seeing them live, which from all accounts was the best titty show in the history of titty shows.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »
What a great glam album.  So much quality stuff that still has listen-ability to this day.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
The first 3 Pat Benetar albums are outstanding. Love her cover of The Sweet's No You Don't.

I loved Def Leppard when Pyromania came out. That tour was my first concert! Yes, a lot of that album still holds up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 10:13:01 AM »
Def Leppard was my first concert, saw them on the Pyromania tour with Krokus and Gary Moore, great show.

I actually liked Def Leppard before Pyromania came out-got into them when MTV was playing their videos off High 'n Dry-so I was a little shocked at first at how commercial sounding Photograph was. Then after it got to the first chorus I said to myself "this is gonna be HUGE." And I was right. Pyromania still holds up well as a great hard rock album today.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
Was a fan of def Lepp from hearing Getcha Rocks Off on a complilation album (The legendary Axe Attack lp i think ?). I prefer Pyro to Hysteria- some great songs on it. Photograph wasn't played alot in the UK as far as I remember but I was aware of how hugeit was in the US. There was alot of negativity in the UK music press about them turning their backs on the UK to make it in America when really it was the other way round. And who wouldn't in their position?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »
Def Leppard was my first concert, saw them on the Pyromania tour with Krokus and Gary Moore, great show.

I actually liked Def Leppard before Pyromania came out-got into them when MTV was playing their videos off High 'n Dry-so I was a little shocked at first at how commercial sounding Photograph was. Then after it got to the first chorus I said to myself "this is gonna be HUGE." And I was right. Pyromania still holds up well as a great hard rock album today.
Where did you see them? Saw the same bill. I went to the old Cape Cod Coliseum! Saw Iron Maiden a couple of months later there as well.

High n Dry is one of my all time favorite albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »
Are we going to see Rainbow's "Street of Dreams" in this thread? I saw that video on VH1 Classic the other day
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jaq

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »

Where did you see them? Saw the same bill. I went to the old Cape Cod Coliseum! Saw Iron Maiden a couple of months later there as well.

High n Dry is one of my all time favorite albums.

Hampton Coliseum in Hampton, VA. I also saw Iron Maiden on the Piece of Mind tour a few months later in Norfolk, opener was Quiet Riot just around the time they broke big. I just realized the cost of both tickets COMBINED was $20. Fuck I'm OLD.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:00:27 PM by Jaq »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
Def Leppard always have a song I love and a song I hate.  Photograph is a song I can play a hundred times in a row and I still wouldn't be sick of it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
Are we going to see Rainbow's "Street of Dreams" in this thread? I saw that video on VH1 Classic the other day

Easily one of my favourite Rainbow songs, if not my favourite.  Amazing tune.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 11:27:50 PM »
I'm more of a casual fan of Def Leppard; "Photograph" and "Rock of Ages" are probably two of my favorites from them.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 03:46:55 AM »

Easily one of my favourite Rainbow songs, if not my favourite.  Amazing tune.

Certainly one of my favourite JLT era Rainbow songs but I'm more a fan of the classic DIO era, and 80s Rainbow were a completely different beast. JLT has a great voice and I surrender was the first single I ever bought (with UFO's Lonel Heart).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 06:49:01 AM »
Just to let some of you know, if you like the 80s hard rocktracks mentioned, there may be things to interest you in the official melodic rock/AOR thread.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
Rainbow - Street of Dreams

Definitely a great song, and the video, while a bit corny for its time (imagine that? :lol), was fairly entertaining at the time as well.  I remember this being one of the first singles I owned on a '45. :hat

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2012, 07:24:16 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHP6f6MQ_sA&feature=related

How is this possible?! This woman is 53!!!
I'd hit that in a New York minute.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."