Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 305388 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
Time to get another song of the day thread going, this one about 80s songs, specifically ones that gained popularity by being played on MTV a lot. 

Plus, it will give many of us who are suckers for 80s music a chance to talk about those songs that maybe aren't worthy of their own threads, so to speak. 

Whitesnake - Is This Love

Earlier today, I was at Quiznos, this song was playing at the store, and all I could think was, "Is this song really 25 years old already?"  Hard to believe.  1987 was the year I graduated from 8th grade, and a bunch of us spent that whole summer hanging out before we all went to different high schools, and about a dozen or so songs from that time period remind me of that summer, including this Whitesnake tune. :coolio
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:36:44 AM by KevShmev »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Personally, one of the worst songs on an otherwise flawless album.  Just inspired me to go and give it a spin. 

Following this thread, as I'm a full on junkie for glam/hair metal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »
Sweet.  I will touch everything from Whitesnake to Debbie Gibson to Bon Jovi to Adam Ant to Madonna to Tears for Fears in this thread.  If it got played on MTV a lot in the 80s, it is fair game! :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »
I'm gonna be following.  That was the year I graduated HS, and was in my transition from metalhead to prognerd, had just discovered IQ and Marillion, and was instantly more cultured than everyone else.  I love going back to the hair metal and realizing how my snobbishness from both sides made me miss a shit ton of really good music.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »
1987 was a great year for hard rock music. I was 19 and had a decent income in my first job and most of it went on lps and I bought a cd player this year too. I had the Bon Jovi curly perm too. Luckily there is very little photographic evidence around from those days!

1987 was a great album, Coverdale a great singer, but that video was bad even then. Cost him a few quid too with the divorce.

Just been jamming on Bad Boys this afternoon too.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
Excellent tune.  I love Syke's work on this album and this tune is no exception.  FANTASTIC clean tones and interesting chord voicings.  I love the feeling in it.  Also, a great lead that doesn't need to completely rip to get its point across.

Slight tangent:  For some reason, everytime I hear "Just Between Us" by Talisman (Jeff Scott Soto's band), the solo reminds me of "Is This Love".  Dunno why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X97eOsHrXXg  (solo at 1:55)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »
Yeah, we are gonna need you to dig up that picture, Lowdz. ;)

And given how many 80s songs there are, even this is a Song of the Day, there are likely to be days where I do more than one. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 01:44:27 PM »
Yeah, we are gonna need you to dig up that picture, Lowdz. ;)

This.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
Excellent tune.  I love Syke's work on this album and this tune is no exception.  FANTASTIC clean tones and interesting chord voicings.  I love the feeling in it.  Also, a great lead that doesn't need to completely rip to get its point across.

Agreed.  I really like the leads he plays after the first two choruses, and how the second one slightly varies from the one after the first before going into the solo.  It's almost like the first one is a tease before heading into the second verse, and then the second is hitting letting loose with the solo, but, like you said, never showing off or getting too crazy.  Good stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
Are we allowed to post some, or only comment on your choices?

Good tune.  Not as good as a lot of others on the album, but still solid and brings back a lot of memories.  I actually sang this for my solo assigning in pop choir senior year in H.S.  The two rocker chicks in class were like:   :metal  The others were like, "oh, wow.  This is Whitesnake?  I thought they were like scary metal, but this is actually pretty good."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
Are we allowed to post some, or only comment on your choices?

I would probably prefer to let me post them, for fear of 10 people posting different songs in the same day and it turning into a cluster, but I guess there could be a way of letting others post some, too.  Any ideas?  I just don't want it to be a free-for-all where anyone and everyone is throwing songs out left and right and some get lust in the shuffle and don't get their proper due in the way of discussion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 02:00:56 PM »
No, that's fine.  I just wan't 100% sure what you intended.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
Is this song REALLY 25 years old?  :o

One of the lesser songs on this album, but given how high quality it was-I'd have no problem with someone calling Whitesnake's 1987 album the best hard rock album of the 80s-it means that its pretty good. Very solid rock tune, and yes, those damn videos didn't hurt the success of that album in the least. Great tune.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
My intention is to have lots of talk about 80s cheese, aqua net, spandex and Robert Sweet's ginormous drum kit. :biggrin:

But really, even if multiple songs are being talked about, that is all good.  A new one being brought up for discussion doesn't mean anyone can't still talk about the previous ones.  Speaking of which...

Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

Okay, who didn't see this video back in 1984 and think it was the coolest video ever?  Certainly not I.  This video epitomizes the 80s, both the good and the bad.  And the bad worked at the time.  Plus, this was like DLR's dress rehearsal for when he went solo and really went crazy with the corny, fun videos. :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »
Following. Grew up watching MTV in the 80s. Was 11 in 1987. Never was a huge Whitesnake fan, but recall this video getting lots of play.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »
My intention is to have lots of talk about 80s cheese, aqua net, spandex and Robert Sweet's ginormous drum kit. :biggrin:

But really, even if multiple songs are being talked about, that is all good.  A new one being brought up for discussion doesn't mean anyone can't still talk about the previous ones.  Speaking of which...

Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

Okay, who didn't see this video back in 1984 and think it was the coolest video ever?  Certainly not I.  This video epitomizes the 80s, both the good and the bad.  And the bad worked at the time.  Plus, this was like DLR's dress rehearsal for when he went solo and really went crazy with the corny, fun videos. :biggrin:

Cool video- cracked up the first time I saw it when Waldo speaks.
And my teachers didn't look like that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
I was also bummed that my teachers never looked like that either.  Good song, great video.

Love Is This Love too.  Great clean guitar, sweet vocals and brilliant Syke lead work.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 02:24:23 PM »
Sit down, Waldo  :lol

I love that video, and "Just a Gigalo" even more.  I'll stick around as long as awesomeness is delivered.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
The best part about this type of nostalgia is remembering what "firsts" we attach to certain songs.

Hot for Teacher, first song I saw a stripper dance to.  Hot blonde named Madison at my brother's friend's bachelor party, she came out in a business suit, hair in a bunt, glasses, smacking a ruler against her palm.  When the song hit the opening DLR scream, the hair, glasses, and top went flying away, along with with my innocence. Needless to say, this song holds a special place in my heart.

Can't wait till you get to Ratt. :caffeine:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »
I have no such memories tied to Hot For Teacher.  However, the mention of DLR's solo career does remind me of the fact that Eat 'em and Smile was the first CD I ever bought.  Hot For Teacher has to be one of the few double bass pounding drum beats that actually made it into pop radio.  Still head bang along with it to this day.  Speaking of which, gotta go hit play.

Oh, and killer guitar solo (walking down the library tables).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »
Can't wait till you get to Ratt. :caffeine:

First time you danced as a stripper?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
Cute.  Very cute.  We're just gonna have to wait and see if he picks the song now, won't we.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
Cute.  Very cute.  We're just gonna have to wait and see if he picks the song now, won't we.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
Thanks to Edan, I have an endless series of avatars.  Still don't know what's behind the fucking door though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
The Whitesnake video was bad, but turn down the sound and just watch Tawny Kitaen writhe around for four or five minutes and it's okay.

I always thought "Hot for Teacher" was ultra cheesy, even for Van Halen, and honestly, the "teachers" in the video did nothing for me.  If I'd been a teenaged boy in a classroom with teachers like that dancing in my face?  Hell yes!  But the video was stupid.  The guitar solo was good, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »

List the song.  Just make sure it's bolded, so it stands out. :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
Is This Love was a good but not great song from that album.  As Orbert said, the video is spank worthy but to me, the song is ok.

Hot for Teacher is the one VH song I skip.  I think I heard it 5 million times my sophomore year in HS.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian

I actually didn't like this song that much when it was first out, which seems strange given that I liked much of the 80s cheese at the time back then, but over time, it grew on me.  Odd that a song like this would grow on you :lol, but whenever it comes up when I play my 80s playlist, I enjoy it now.  And who didn't think Susanna Hoffs was the bomb-diggity back then?  Hell, she still looks pretty damn good for early 50s!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:04:26 AM by KevShmev »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:17 AM »
Good call.  Although if I could pick one and only one Bangles song to listen to, it would easily be Hazy Shade Of Winter.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 09:04:50 AM »
I was never that wild about that one.  I liked Manic Monday the best back then, and Eternal Flame was nice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »
Good call.  Although if I could pick one and only one Bangles song to listen to, it would easily be Hazy Shade Of Winter.
Agreed.

Is This Love is OK. I was never crazy about the "super" lineup playing or acting the bits of the recorded band.

I still love Hot For Teacher. Videos by nature are cheesy, but that song still kicks complete ass to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
Hot For Teacher - one of the quintessential Van Halen songs.  It is the 80's condensed into one ass kicking of a song.  Over the top video?  Check?  Lyrical content contains references to drinking, partying, or banging hot chicks?  Check.  Guitar solo badassery?  Check.  DLR being DLR?  Check.  Man, this song is unreal.  Just turning it on, grabbing a guitar, and playing along makes you feel better.  As Roth said, "'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship."  As much as I like Sammy, I can't deny that old VH has that effect.  :lol

WLAE - Nice.  It's a pretty catchy tune and it didn't hurt that even the least hot Bangle was still hittable.  I hear it from time to time and am still shaken by that guitar tone at the end, the big brassy Danelectro-ish kinda sound.  Cool.  Still an earworm of a tune.  As for Susanna Hoffs, if you haven't seen it, look up her live cover of Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love" and attempt to not be stirred by it.  ;)

EDIT: Saw the additional comments and thought "I really liked Eternal Flame."  Then saw KS mentioned it.  :tup

EDIT #2:  If interested (hint: you're interested), here's the aforementioned Susana Hoffs "FLML" performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol4MaEPayv0
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:20:04 AM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 09:13:10 AM »
The best thing about Hot for Teacher is that riff.  I defy anyone to tell me that that riff doesn't kick major ass. :metal

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »
The best part about it is that it's such a simple riff, yet so effectively ass-kicking.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
I used to go to a club a lot that had a dance floor devoted to 80s music. This was one of 3 songs that during which I would take a bathroom break if it came on.

Eternal Flame was one of those quintessential middle school dance songs.

And who didn't think Susanna Hoffs was the bomb-diggity back then?

I sure as hell did! Haven't seen her lately, off to google, brb!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'