Author Topic: i need help with guitar recording in domestic environment  (Read 1397 times)

Offline rude boy

i need help with guitar recording in domestic environment
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
i noticed there are quite a few players on the forum, so i would like to ask for some advice reguarding guitar recording on a computer at home. what kind of programs to use, the best (simpliest) way to do it with average equipment, setting up the computer and stuff like that. i play for quite some time now, but i don't know a lot about recording  :sad: looknig forward to your helpful comments!  :biggrin:

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
Re: i need help with guitar recording in domestic environment
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
If you have a mac, GarageBand should do the trick.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline rude boy

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
i don't, forgot to mention it in the first post. any knowledge on pc suitable programs?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:17:46 AM »
Not really, sorry. I guess you could use Audacity but I'm sure there are better alternatives.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
I don't really know much about low-end software for recording.   I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition - it's pretty much the standard for Windows based recording.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
I've wanted to get into this more, but an more interested in the "connecting it to my computer" part.  I'd considered something along the lines of the Line 6 UX-1.  USB connect, plus direct into the box.  it has an FX/recording suite that apparently allows you a great deal of freedom in guitar sounds.

https://line6.com/podstudioux1/

Offline rude boy

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
I've wanted to get into this more, but an more interested in the "connecting it to my computer" part.  I'd considered something along the lines of the Line 6 UX-1.  USB connect, plus direct into the box.  it has an FX/recording suite that apparently allows you a great deal of freedom in guitar sounds.

thank you very much! i did struggle with conecting the guitar to the pc also. i've made a couple of recordings in audacity, connected my multieffect pedal (boss me50) directly to mic port- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpyBwciTOUI this is one of those. but there has always been a tiny lag and it annoyed me very much. plus, when i tried to record some leads (distortion) i almost cried- the sound was beyond awful and nothing i did seemed to help.

long story short, this is the kind of stuff i've been looking for and i'll definitely look into it. thanks once again!  :tup

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
If you want latency free recording, you are going to want to get a firewire based A/D converter.  This interface allows you to plug a 1/4 inch guitar jack into it and it is converted to a digital signal that gets sent through firewire to the computer.

If you want to use USB, I used to have a lexicon Lamda.  It did the trick, wasn't as good at being low latency as my firewire device though.  Right now I'm using an M-audio profire 2626.  It's a great piece of equipment.

If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
I have zero latency problems with the M-Audio Delta 1010 Interface, but that's plugged directly into a PCI port on the Motherboard of the computer and it's pretty expensive.  And you'd need more equipment to use that.

Unless you're using Firewire 800, it's a very common misconception that Firewire is faster than USB 2.0, but it's not.  Firewire has a maximum sustained throughput of 400mbps and USB 2.0 is 480mbps.  Of course, all of those speeds are quoted as "theoretical" by the various manufacturers.   

M-Audio is a good solid manufacturer to go with if you're looking for a recording interface for the guitar or any other instruments.   I know at least two people who have purchased the M-Audio Fast Track and have been very happy with the results.  And it comes with multi-track recording software too.  Not bad for $119.00

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
Nice.  I'd been leaning towards the UX-1, but I always prefer when I can get positive testimonials from people I know as opposed to reviewers on Musician's Friend.  I have gift card $$ to spend at Guitar Center, so I will most likely go for the Fast Track MkII (as opposed to the ToneBone "HeadBone TS" I'd been considering).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
I actually sent one of those Fast Track devices (along with a large diaphragm condenser MIC) to my vocalist so he could record demos for me and it worked really great.  And the software is actually pretty sophisticated for the money. 

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »

I have had the UX1+Gearbox for years now and I absolutely recommend it. A monkey could set it up, the sounds are great, and playing it through your PC speakers/headphone jack obviously makes late night recording no problem.

Offline rude boy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
thanks for all the advice guys, it has been very helpful!  ;D

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »
I don't really know much about low-end software for recording.   I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition - it's pretty much the standard for Windows based recording.

I agree!  I've been using Cakewalk software for 7 years now and I've had VERY few problems.  Very reliable... at least on my own PC.