Author Topic: Sonata Arctica thread  (Read 124686 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Sonata Arctica thread
« Reply #945 on: May 02, 2015, 03:05:22 PM »
Yeah, that setlist is great. While Ecliptica is far from my favourite album (both renditions), those songs are killer live and as a setlists it works. I hate how most SA live recordings fail to capture the band in a great shape (including stuff like Wacken). Judging from the last two shows I attended (2012 and 2014) and some recent yt bootlegvids, they kick ass now. I see that they are in my country tomorrow, unfortunately I cannot make that (but they seem to visit us often, so I am not worried).

I still frequently spin some Pariah's Child songs btw. Some killer songs that do not wear fast for me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: May 03, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »
You're missing Ecliptica played live in full and you're not worried? Something is probably wrong with you. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #947 on: May 04, 2015, 08:29:48 AM »
Setlist from the yesterday's show in France:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sonata-arctica/2015/le-splendid-lille-france-43c8cbd3.html

What I'd give to see this show live.
I'm a little bit sad that no Days of Grays songs made the cut.

But then I see Destruction Preventer and I don't care. I don't care at all.  :omg:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #948 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:32 AM »
Well, when 10/15 of the set (11 if you count Mary-Lou) is dedicated to one album, it's impossible to make room for every record in the catalog, especially when DSAW is a staple and PC is still a relatively new album. WPBO is a pretty surprising choice for an opener IMO, it's always felt more like a closer to me.

BTW, I just realized I Have a Right isn't there... that's another reason I'd love to see this tour! :lol Hopefully this means it won't be played at every single show until the end of time like Tony swore.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: August 29, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »
I wrote a report of Sonata's epic 2.5-hour tour finale, where they played all of Ecliptica and a bunch of acoustic songs: https://www.musicalypse.net/reports/sonata-arctica-tampere-2015.php

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: August 29, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
I'm still sad they didn't extend their Ecliptica Anniversary tour to Russia. That was the best setlist they had in years.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: August 30, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »
Tony performed with Kemi City Orchestra yesterday: https://www.pohjolansanomat.fi/vapaalla/katso-kesarin-konsertti-taalta/ The set includes songs like Fields of Gold, Live and Let Die and Bohemian Rhapsody - is there anything this dude can't sing? :D

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #952 on: October 02, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »
So about that tribute album, I just saw the SA covers by Stream of Passion and Xandria.

I Have A Right is superiour to SA's version by a mile to my ears, love it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubJ-F8Df79E
Not really fond of Stream of Passion's music, but Marcela is an awesome vocalist.

Don't Say A Word by Xandria is interesting, but SA's version is a personal classic of mine. It is quite different due to classical female vocals, a bit Nightwish-esque:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM2LOrsCkxQ

Full tribute album trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAKg2qJACJA
I am interested in hearing Van Canto's cover of Victoria's secret, should be nice. And the powerglove instrumental is probably awesome as well.

And boy, please keep Pasi (SA member) away from the mixingboard. Love their music and all, but after Pariah's Child, Ecliptica Revisited and these tribute songs I think we can say his mixing is just utter crap.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:34:37 PM by ErHaO »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: October 02, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »
Just checked out both covers. I Have A Right is indeed much better than SA version, though I have no idea why the omitted the second verse, since the verses are by far the best thing this song has (well, the part at 2:40 in this video is glorious too). Other than that, it's awesome, much better than the original. Marcela does a great job.

I didn't like DSAW cover. The vocals don't fit into the song at all.

From the trailer video, I really liked Replica with female vocals. 8th Commandment is very wtf though. :lol

And boy, please keep Pasi (SA member) away from the mixingboard. Love their music and all, but after Pariah's Child, Ecliptica Revisited and these tribute songs I think we can say his mixing is just utter crap.

Yes.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #954 on: October 02, 2015, 03:50:14 PM »
Another thing, Tony Kakko sang with Nightwish on Rock in Rio (see Nightwish thread). Aside from the softer parts with no bombastic music, he is hardly audible though.

Just checked out both covers. I Have A Right is indeed much better than SA version, though I have no idea why the omitted the second verse, since the verses are by far the best thing this song has (well, the part at 2:40 in this video is glorious too). Other than that, it's awesome, much better than the original. Marcela does a great job.

I didn't like DSAW cover. The vocals don't fit into the song at all.

From the trailer video, I really liked Replica with female vocals. 8th Commandment is very wtf though. :lol

Yes.

I agree. DSAW feels a bit off. Too bad Xandria didn't do a different song, as they are very capable and their current singer is great.

And my guess is that 8th commandment is a punk rendition or something...? Don't know  :lol At least there is a bit of quality to be found on this tribute. I once listened to the Blind Guardian tribute CD and I felt sonically violated. Embarrasing, I hope the guys of BG never had to hear a single minute of that disc.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #955 on: December 24, 2015, 09:41:47 AM »
Can we take a few minutes and just talk about how awful their Christmas single "Christmas Spirits" is? My god it was bad. The "la la la's" are creepy. Why SA? Why?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: December 24, 2015, 10:16:26 AM »
Can we take a few minutes and just talk about how awful their Christmas single "Christmas Spirits" is? My god it was bad. The "la la la's" are creepy. Why SA? Why?

I consider myself a SA fan and I didn't even bother to check it out. :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #957 on: December 24, 2015, 04:56:35 PM »
Honestly it cracks me up, it is definitely the weird SA here  :lol

Here is the link for those who dare: https://soundcloud.com/nuclearblastrecords/sonata-arctica-christmas-spirits

Apparently the song stems from the Unia period (they have written it ten years ago), so yeah, it sounds weird and creepy. I can hear why people deem it utter crap and wouldn't recommend the track, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't like it, haha. Also a bit of opera-esque vocals of Tony that I find interesting.

My favorite weird/creepy power metal Christmas story, however, remains Wynter Fever by Theocracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jwHLsKsiCA

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: December 25, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »
Um, I gave it a listen and I actually quite liked it. Lalalas were fine! The whole song is fine as long as I don't take it too seriously. :lol

My favorite weird/creepy power metal Christmas story, however, remains Wynter Fever by Theocracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jwHLsKsiCA

Wow, this was great! Weird and great. :lol I remember Scorp sending me Theocracy song (Laying the Demon to Rest) in my roulette - and he actually lost to you with that song in the elimination tiebreaker, because I didn't like it that much - but this one grabbed me from get-go. I've gotta check out some Theocracy I guess.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #959 on: December 27, 2015, 03:21:41 AM »
Yeah I like it just fine, I like that quirky side of SA's music. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: December 27, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
I'm a fan of SA's weird side, but I dislike Christmas music, so I've got mixed feelings... :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #961 on: December 27, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »
That tune kind of reminds me of Deathaura.

I like that song just fine, but this is one is strange indeed. My reaction was this:
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #962 on: December 28, 2015, 03:49:05 AM »
Ok, that was really weird. Not sure if I like it, but they definitely aren't afraid of embracing their weird side, so that's a good thing.

Holy shit, that is awesome. How have I never heard that? Fucking hilarious.

"Son, you'd better stay away from that little ho ho ho" :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:01:28 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
« Reply #963 on: December 28, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
I'm just now getting into this band and I have to say that Deathaura is an amazing song!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #964 on: December 29, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
I'm just now getting into this band and I have to say that Deathaura is an amazing song!

That album seems to get its fair share of criticism among the fans but I personally love it. It's full of nice melodies and cool orchestral arrangements!

And I agree, Deathaura is one of my favorites!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:40:36 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: July 21, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
How come no one wrote about this one yet? It's like I'm the only fan of this band or something!

SONATA ARCTICA announce new album "The Ninth Hour"

Only two years after the release of »Pariah's Child« and a massive world tour, the Finnish Melodic Metal quintet SONATA ARCTICA are already back for more – their ninth masterpiece entitled »The Ninth Hour« will see the light of day on October 7th.

Once again, the album was produced by SONATA ARCTICA themselves and mixed by Pasi Kauppinen, to create a typical yet refreshing sound that defines the spirit of the band in the year 2016.
“The studio work for the new record started seriously in mid-April 2016 in several home studios around Finland," singer Tony Kakko explains. “But the main recording and mixing took place at the Studio57 in Alaveteli, Finland. It functions as a kind of centre point and all work finally ends up there. We aimed to create another melodic, beautiful, surprising SONATA ARCTICA album… Did it turn out that way? I surely think so. But maybe I should leave that for you to decide!”

After a North American tour with their friends from NIGHTWISH plus many headline shows around the globe, the band was once again able to take a look at the entire world as it is at the moment – on the edge of a possible armageddon. This spirit is reflected in the new artwork of "The Ninth Hour".

“The artwork of our ninth studio album »The Ninth Hour« depicts a future utopian landscape on the background. Nature and human technologies are in balance. In the middle we have an hour glass contraption with a knob for us to meddle with. The right-hand side cup represents the nature side with no humans left, on the left we have the human dystopia after we have destroyed Nature. The idea I had was, that turning the knob will tilt the hour glass in one direction or another, and the other cup will slowly empty and that future will be erased. Biblically we are expected to repent and sacrifice on "The Ninth Hour"…to dive right back to a more mundane reality, it’s a fact that we are currently living in critical, historical times. Our decisions will define the future. Not only ours as a race, but the future of this entire planet. We need to make sacrifices and in many cases we will repent our already made choices.”

Right after the summer festival season and the release of their anticipated record, the band will embark on a European tour together with their label mates TWILIGHT FORCE to present the new songs to their fans. Here are the dates:

SONATA ARCTICA
Special Guests: TWILIGHT FORCE
presented by: Metal Hammer, Musix, Blast, Rock it + Powermetal.de & Dragon Productions
07.10.16 NOR - Trondheim, Byscenen
08.10.16 SE - Borlänge, Liljan
09.10.16 SE - Huskvarna, Folkets Park
11.10.16 DK - Copenhagen, Pumpehuset
12.10.16 DE - Hamburg, Markthalle
13.10.16 NL - Haarlem, Patronaat
14.10.16 NL - Tilburg, 013
15.10.16 UK - London, O2 Shepherd’s Bush Empire
16.10.16 FR - Paris, La Machine du Moulin Rouge
18.10.16 FR - Strasbourg, La Laiterie
19.10.16 CH - Pratteln, Konzertfabrik Z7
20.10.16 IT - Milan, Alcatraz
21.10.16 DE - Mannheim, Alte Seilerei
22.10.16 DE - Bochum, Zeche

Or catch the band on their US tour with LEAVES' EYES and OMNIUM GATHERUM:
06.11. USA Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore
07.11. USA Silver Spring, MD - The Fillmore
08.11. USA Clifton Park, NY - Upstate Concert Hall
09.11. USA Philadelphia, PA - The Trocadero
11.11. USA Sayreville, NJ - Starland Ballroom
12.11. USA Hartford, CT - Webster Theater
13.11. CDN Montreal, QC - Club Soda
14.11. CDN Ottawa, ON - Mavericks
16.11. CDN Kitchener, ON - Dallas
17.11. USA Columbus, OH - Park Street Saloon
18.11. USA Westland, MI - Token Lounge
19.11. USA Pittsburgh, PA - Altar Bar
21.11. USA Milwaukee, WI - Rave
22.11. USA Minneapolis, MN - Mill City Nights
24.11. CDN Regina, SK - The Exchange
25.11. CDN Calgary, AB - Dickens
26.11. CDN Edmonton, AB - Starlite Room
28.11. CDN Vancouver, BC - The Venue
29.11. USA Seattle, WA - El Corazon
30.11. USA Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theatre
02.12. USA San Francisco, CA - Slim’s
03.12. USA San Diego, CA - Brick By Brick
04.12. USA Anaheim, CA - The Grove
05.12. USA Tempe, AZ - Club Red
06.12. USA El Paso, TX - Tricky Falls
08.12. USA Englewood, CO - Gothic Theater
09.12. USA Lawrence, KS - Granada
10.12. USA Dallas, TX - Trees
11.12. USA McAllen, TX - Cine El Rey
13.12. USA San Antonio, TX - Alamo Music Hall
14.12. USA Houston, TX - Scout Bar
16.12 USA Lake Buena Vista, FL - House Of Blues
17.12. USA Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #966 on: July 21, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »
Yay! I really like the cover of this one, let's hope that that bodes well for the songs - I wasn't the biggest fan of Pariah's Child, sadly, even though it some good songs. Still keeping my expectations low though, they haven't been able to impress me as much as they used to after Unia, which is the last of their albums that I would call great.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
Yay! I really like the cover of this one, let's hope that that bodes well for the songs - I wasn't the biggest fan of Pariah's Child, sadly, even though it some good songs. Still keeping my expectations low though, they haven't been able to impress me as much as they used to after Unia, which is the last of their albums that I would call great.

I kind of agree even though I would change Unia to The Days of Grays in your post, I really like TDOG (in fact, I listened to it today on my way to work - great album, in my opinion). I don't remember when I listened to either SGHN or Pariah's Child last time. I liked PC on release but I just never came back to it.

My expectations are low for this one, but still I will probably buy it on release day.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #968 on: July 21, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »
Low expectations for me as well, but I hope I will be proven wrong.

I loved the absolutely crazy, unbalanced and unchecked unpredictability of Unia, full of so many wonderful, weird, wacky and WTF songs, and then each album after that I liked it a bit less than the previous.

Pariah's Child is probably my least favorite of them, so I hope the next one won't follow the downward spiral. I don't care for power metal songs in the vein of Ecliptica and Silence, I just want the great songs that Tony Kakko can write regardless of the actual style.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #969 on: July 21, 2016, 02:09:05 PM »
PC was to put it bluntly, bloody awful.
First Sonata CD I didn't buy, and I'm a fan since the demo days.

So I am hoping this new one is at least solid.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #970 on: July 21, 2016, 02:49:42 PM »
I'm apparently unusual (once again) as the last two albums are among my favourites, easily. Looking forward to this!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #971 on: July 21, 2016, 03:04:26 PM »
Was such a fan of this band back in the day but now they have just gone so downhill.  The last album was shit, I don't have high expectations for this at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: July 22, 2016, 12:26:42 AM »
I was a fan of their first couple of albums, when they did catchy power metal, but they lost me with Unia. I haven't bothered with their recent albums, aside from a few tracks here and there.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #973 on: July 22, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »
They still do some good stuff but PC was just so far from what I liked about SA to start with. Really hoping for a come back to the creative awesomeness that is Unia :)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #974 on: July 22, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »
I've always had mixed feelings about this band, but for me, Unia was their peak.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: July 22, 2016, 02:57:20 PM »
I've always had mixed feelings about this band, but for me, Unia was their peak.

Unia is my fav also, but have never liked the direction they went in after that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #976 on: July 22, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
Unlike most people (at least from what I have gathered), I think Stones Grow Her Name is my favourite of their last three albums. It has some pretty bad tracks (I Have a Right, The Day), but at least it takes some risks and has some more experimental stuff (Cinderblox, Wildfire II, Wildfire III).

Honestly, if Shitload of Money, I Have a Right, The Day and Don't Be Mean were cut and replaced by One, Two, Free Fall and Tonight I Dance Alone, Stones Grow Her Name would be battling Unia for the top spot (it would end up a pretty short album at only around 45 minutes, but eh).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: July 24, 2016, 03:15:41 AM »
Pariah's Child was a step up from Stones, which is easily Sonata's weakest album, but it feels like it lacks cohesion and direction. Hopefully the new one is a more focused effort - at least the cover art and its concept are pretty cool.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #978 on: July 24, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
I'm so behind with SA. I only have 4 albums, Ecliptica, Reckoning Night, Silence and Winterheart's Guild. Ecliptica and Silence are the two I really love. Any recommendations on where to start catching up?

Loving that new album art  :coolio really cool stuff!!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #979 on: July 24, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »

Unia is my fav also, but have never liked the direction they went in after that.

While I don't hate the albums that came after Unia, I thought the album was a watershed moment that was going to propel the band to greater things. Sadly that didn't quite happen.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa