Author Topic: Prince Charles promoted to Field Marshall  (Read 4202 times)

Offline AndyDT

Prince Charles promoted to Field Marshall
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18468118

Promoting heads of the services to five-star ranks was stopped in 1995 to cut costs but has been retained in special circumstances.

General the Lord Guthrie has also been awarded the honorary rank of Field Marshal.

He was the first military chief not to be appointed to the highest rank when he was Chief of the Defence Staff between 1997 and 2001.

So he's on a par with the highest US Generals as well.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Prince Charles promoted to Field Marshall
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Well I feel safer already.  What with his 5 years of military experience, and all. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
I always felt honorary titles to be silly at best, and insulting to the people who got the title through hard work at worst. In Germany several chancellors received honorary PhDs from universities, and I always thought "for what?".
Especially in the case of Prince Charles, Who is already all this it just seems a drop in the bucket.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »
I honestly don't know why a normal person would even accept such an honor. If someone wanted to bestow a title on me that normally takes a ton of work to achieve I think I'd say thanks, but no thanks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
"Can I just have the cash, instead?"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
Yes, just like Kermit the Frog is a real doctor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
Especially in the case of Prince Charles, Who is already all this it just seems a drop in the bucket.

rumborak
I don't get why is official title is so long and arduous,
His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty
when his Tanzanian name is so badass: Oloishiru Ingishi.  In English: The Helper of the Cows (literally he whom the cows love so much they call for him when they are in times of distress).  If I were him, changing my title to Helper of the Cows is the first order of business when my time comes.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
Every separate title gets you an additional discount at Hot Topic, I think.  :P
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 07:29:03 AM »
Hang on a minute. Dwight Eisenhower was given a created rank just to be on a par with the British.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Army_%28United_States%29
It was created to give the most senior American commanders parity of rank with their British counterparts holding the rank of Field Marshal and comparable rank of Fleet Admiral (U.S.) for the Navy's parity with Admiral of the Fleet (Royal Navy). This second General of the Army rank is not considered comparable to the American Civil War era version.

And the highest possible rank in the US has only been conferred twice and one was posthumously:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Armies

I think Charles has to do hundreds of appointments every year many on behalf of the Forces. The other FM has an impressive CV:

Field Marshal Charles Ronald Llewelyn Guthrie, Baron Guthrie of Craigiebank, GCB, LVO, OBE, DL (born 17 November 1938) was Chief of the General Staff, the professional head of the British Army, between 1994 and 1997 and Chief of the Defence Staff between 1997 and 2001. During his military career he served with the Special Air Service, was closely involved in military operations in Northern Ireland and provided advice to the British Government during the Bosnian War and the Kosovo War.

Commands held
1 Bn Welsh Guards
4th Armoured Brigade
2nd Infantry Division
1st British Corps
British Army of the Rhine
Chief of the General Staff
Chief of the Defence Staff

Battles/wars   
Operation Banner
Bosnian War
Kosovo War

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
Eisenhower and Lord Guthrie both earned their ranks through decades of military service.  Chuck got his because his mom's the Queen.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »
And just because the US has the same stupid practice of creating gimmick ranks, doesn't make it any more meaningful.
In fact, almost by design, at least in a constitutional country, you can't just confer new powers to somebody over a government body, meaning the titles are absolutely meaningless.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
There are no titles of Nobility in the US. It's unconstitutional. Having ranks of military service is just common hierarchical sense.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
And just because the US has the same stupid practice of creating gimmick ranks, doesn't make it any more meaningful.
In fact, almost by design, at least in a constitutional country, you can't just confer new powers to somebody over a government body, meaning the titles are absolutely meaningless.

rumborak
The President is the Commander in chief. AIUI he doesn't need the government's permission.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
Ohhh, so Prince whoever is currently making all major military decisions? That's fascinating. He must be a very proficient strategist. I wonder, what has he done with the military before this? I assume he was personally deciding which actions England should take in the Iraq/Afghanistan war?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »

rumborak
I don't get why is official title is so long and arduous,
His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty
when his Tanzanian name is so badass: Oloishiru Ingishi.  In English: The Helper of the Cows (literally he whom the cows love so much they call for him when they are in times of distress).  If I were him, changing my title to Helper of the Cows is the first order of business when my time comes.

And what exact does the Privy Council do? Decide where to dig the hole, or something more earnest like what ply to wipe thy royal ass with?

I hope one day my Scotish cousins can throw the whole damn lot out on their ass.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."