Author Topic: Christians and work ethic  (Read 11343 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Christians and work ethic
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »
Maybe the good news translation is the one where God created the stars on the first day, and not on the fourth.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2012, 10:44:22 AM »
Maybe the good news translation is the one where God created the stars on the first day, and not on the fourth.

No, I looked it up. Turns out the Good News translation was done by Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Don't know if serious or not, but "evangelion" => "good news" => "good spell" => "gospel"

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
Isn't this a little off topic?   :facepalm:

I don't exclusively use a single translation.  I research into several translations.   I just like to mix it up from time to time.  There are a core few that are definitely the most reliable and accurate.   But occasionally, the "looser" translations add a nice bit of color.

Example:  When the Sanhedrien took counsel to kill Jesus, they began to argue with each other about what to do.   Then the high priest halted them by saying:

"Ye know nothing at all." (John 11:49 KJV)
"You know nothing at all." (ESV & NIV)

This is accurate.   However, in the original Greek, this was a phrase of contempt.  Which is why other translations render it:

"You don't know anything!" (Common English Bible)
"You people don't know anything!" (Complete Jewish Bible)
"What fools you are!" (Good News Bible)
"Don't you know anything?" (The Message)
"You don't know what you're talking about!" (New Living Translation)

I wouldn't rely on these translations for accuracy.  But literal accuracy is not always accuracy of an idea.  It's a very delicate balance.     

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
Good News bible seems the least reliable at that point.

Also sorry to derail the topic, thought my Farnsworth comment was funny. Oh well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »
Good News bible seems the least reliable at that point.

Also sorry to derail the topic, thought my Farnsworth comment was funny. Oh well.

Well it's not as far out of bounds as The Living Bible which reads: "You stupid idiots!"   :lol

You know, it's totally inaccurate...but I like it anyway.   :biggrin:

Offline Adami

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
Wait a minute.....why is "The Complete Jewish Bible" containing anything about jesus?

He's not in our books believe it or not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »
Several of these I have hard copies of...but not the Complete Jewish Bible.  (I should look at a used book store)

I have to read that one at biblegateway dot com, so you can research it yourself if you like.  I don't know that much about it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 06:24:42 PM »
Oh it's for those Jews for Jesus people. Nevermind, what a horribly misleading title. Might as well call The Book of Mormon "The True Christian Bible" at that point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

No, I looked it up. Turns out the Good News translation was done by Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth.

You won all of my internets.

Well, maybe not all. Up to five. Up to five internets.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:07 PM »
Oh it's for those Jews for Jesus people. Nevermind, what a horribly misleading title. Might as well call The Book of Mormon "The True Christian Bible" at that point.

why do you always make me laugh when I shouldn't be

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
IMHO Jesus for Jews should spell Jesus "Jewsus". And teach Jujitsu. And play lots of Jenga. In June and July.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 10:50:39 AM »
IMHO Jesus for Jews should spell Jesus "Jewsus". And teach Jujitsu. And play lots of Jenga. In June and July.

rumborak

Isn't Jenga pronounced like Jaynga?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." (Col 3:23 NIV)
That's the hard part as you have to consciously ask day by day sometimes moment to moment "am I on purpose?'

And I disagree about not looking into the Bible daily..

"Happy are those who reject the advice of evil people, who do not follow the example of sinners or join those who have no use for God. Instead, they find joy in obeying the Law of the Lord, and they study it day and night. They are like trees that grow beside a stream, that bear fruit at the right time, and whose leaves do not dry up. They succeed in everything they do." (Ps 1:1-3 Good News Translation)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." (Col 3:23 NIV)
That's the hard part as you have to consciously ask day by day sometimes moment to moment "am I on purpose?'

In part, the testimony you give is by your conduct...by the way you live your life...which includes the way in which you do your job.

"If I perform this willingly, I have a reward; but if I do it against my will, all the same I have a stewardship entrusted to me..."  (1 Cor 9:17)

That's not to say that if you are in a bad situation, you can't find another one.   But the reason you leave should never be because you were doing poor work.   Even in the worst of situations, a Christian should do the best work he is capable of until he finds a better situation. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 06:39:00 PM by jammindude »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
BTW, the Good News Bible is not a translation at all, it's just a paraphrase.  Like The Message.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
Ok...that's really weird.   I just double and triple checked and I *DO NOT* have a quote tag around my response.   Can't figure out why it posted that way.  ???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
Yes, you do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
 :)  Hey Andy

@OP:

How do you view your career and work as a Christian?

As unto the Lord and learning not to have my identity wrapped up in it.  When given power, authority, status, position it can be easy for those things to define you more then Him.  I'm still learning Godliness with contenment.

As things you want to achieve or service?
Both.  He gives us the desires of our heart, but it's never the blessing that fulfills it's Him.  Achievement is nice, appreciation is nice, but not at the expense of Him and the works of service He's called us to.

If you feel things are stagnant do you trust in God to change events so that you have to change or do you mix things up yourself?
Both.  His grace and mercy keeps us, but learning to be lead by Him and not the flesh or selfish ambition takes training.  I don't mind stagnant to train.

Personally  I've tried to do work where I can serve in some way and let God work out the details.
Pray for me.  I do the same, but I wrestle with who I work with and whose command I serve under.  Blessings bro.  :) 
Signature

Offline jammindude

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
Yes, you do.

But I've tried to modify it.   I see the quote tags in the upper half...but there's not "unquote" after my actual post.   I don't get it. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2012, 06:45:14 PM »

In part, the testimony you give is by your conduct...by the way you live your life...which includes the way in which you do your job.

"If I perform this willingly, I have a reward; but if I do it against my will, all the same I have a stewardship entrusted to me..."  (1 Cor 9:17)

That's not to say that if you are in a bad situation, you can't find another one.   But the reason you leave should never be because you were doing poor work.   Even in the worst of situations, a Christian should do the best work he is capable of until he finds a better situation.

That should fix it. Just copy and paste.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
I remember we hired an uber Christian once at our store. He was fired a few weeks later because he showed up late three times and not at all once. He had a pretty bad work ethic....
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jammindude

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2012, 08:12:14 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
So weird.   I saw the exact same thing in the modify screen of the first post....identical.     I must be missing something.

Offline Adami

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
So weird.   I saw the exact same thing in the modify screen of the first post....identical.     I must be missing something.

This is getting way off topic, but you missed a / at one of the end quote things, that was all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
 :facepalm:

Thank you.   I do appreciate it.

We now return you to AndyDT's original topic, already in progress. 

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2012, 06:39:35 AM »
:)  Hey Andy

@OP:

How do you view your career and work as a Christian?

As unto the Lord and learning not to have my identity wrapped up in it.  When given power, authority, status, position it can be easy for those things to define you more then Him.  I'm still learning Godliness with contenment.

As things you want to achieve or service?
Both.  He gives us the desires of our heart, but it's never the blessing that fulfills it's Him.  Achievement is nice, appreciation is nice, but not at the expense of Him and the works of service He's called us to.

If you feel things are stagnant do you trust in God to change events so that you have to change or do you mix things up yourself?
Both.  His grace and mercy keeps us, but learning to be lead by Him and not the flesh or selfish ambition takes training.  I don't mind stagnant to train.

Personally  I've tried to do work where I can serve in some way and let God work out the details.
Pray for me.  I do the same, but I wrestle with who I work with and whose command I serve under.  Blessings bro.  :) 

Thanks you too.