Author Topic: Israel a major threat to the global security  (Read 13002 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Israel a major threat to the global security
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
Renowned American academician Noam Chomsky has criticized the US allegations against Iran's peaceful nuclear program, and described "Israel" as the major threat to the global security.

In his latest articled published in the Guardian, the senior American historian and philosopher argued that Iran's "strategic doctrines are defensive, designed to deter invasion."

He lashed out at the propaganda campaign by the US media outlets aimed at portraying Iran as a "threat" and argued that Tehran would never even "come close to initiating a nuclear war."

Chomsky pointed out that despite the anti-Iran notions propagated by the Western politicians, "in Europe, polls show that "Israel" is regarded as the leading threat to peace," and in the Middle East and North Africa, Washington shares the status with Tel Aviv.

https://europeanphoenix.com/en/component/content/article/34-societa/925-chomsky-israel-a-major-threat-to-the-global-security-.html
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Israel a major threat to the global security
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
In before shitstorm.

If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »
Israel is currently lead a bunch of idiots. But they're not a threat to international security.

Noam Chomsky has been known to be rather...............critical..............of Israel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:33:24 PM »
I wil say Iran does seem like a "rational agent." more so than our media makes it out to be.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »
I wil say Iran does seem like a "rational agent." more so than our media makes it out to be.

Iran, as an agent as you put it is fine. They won't blow anyone up.

The problem lies in who gets access to their technology by proxy? Iran has many shady contacts, several of which WOULD use a nuke if given access.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »
In an interesting corollary to this, Iran's Ayatollah tweeted (I know, wtf) that the acquisition of nuclear weapons is a sin.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »
I would think that their interests would best be served by keeping a tight reign on their nukes.  It doesn't help them to hand them over to rogue agents, and the consequences would be terribly severe.  Even the Rooskies would stop supporting them if an Iranian nuke blew up something or someone important.  Also keep in mind that we already have an even less stable Pakistani regime which also has some questionable amigos, plus a pretty damned negligent Russia, who's much more likely to let bad actors get ahold of a bomb. 

I am forced to agree that Israel probably is the biggest threat to peace, simply because they're easily the most likely to attack neighboring countries.  However, I don't think Israel's impending attack on Iran will have much effect on global security.  They've done it before, and everybody knows they'll do it again.  My guess is that most of the world will wag their finger at them for a day and then move right the hell on along.  We'll support them, as usual. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:45 PM »
I am forced to agree that Israel probably is the biggest threat to peace, simply because they're easily the most likely to attack neighboring countries.  However, I don't think Israel's impending attack on Iran will have much effect on global security.  They've done it before, and everybody knows they'll do it again.  My guess is that most of the world will wag their finger at them for a day and then move right the hell on along.  We'll support them, as usual.

I think it's pretty obvious that the U.S. is the biggest threat to global peace. They've already demonstrated that they will attack anyone, even pre-emptively. Sure, countries like Israel, Pakistan, Iran and Russia seem like they have potential to be a loose cannon, but the US is acting like a loose cannon by bombing everyone they can. God help us if Santorum is elected.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
Israel is currently lead a bunch of idiots. But they're not a threat to international security.

Noam Chomsky has been known to be rather...............critical..............of Israel.

I totally agree with the first part. And based on some things I've heard him say about this and other issues, I'm convinced that for all of Chomsky's brains, he has a bit of a crazy side. Not that being critical of Israel is crazy, but you can be crazy with regards to otherwise reasonable ideas.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:29:08 AM »

Iran, as an agent as you put it is fine. They won't blow anyone up.

The problem lies in who gets access to their technology by proxy? Iran has many shady contacts, several of which WOULD use a nuke if given access.

That is a fair concern however I'm still unable to understand why the US thinks everyone is against them. I think Orthogonal got it right saying the US is the country that threatens the world peace the most always saying the middle east countries are bad and want to destroy the world and trying to turn other countries against them. Why would poor countries like them would be interested in nuking the US? What do they get out from that?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:35:23 AM »
What poor countries like them get out of nuking the US is stopping them turning the world against the Middle East. :P

Srs answer: as Adami (?) said, it's not nation-states we need to worry about but non-state actors like terror groups getting a hold of weaponry normally relegated to nation-states. Destructive power of that magnitude reaching unpredictable elements is a danger, and it's really only an unlucky coincidence (at least that's the best description I can give on four hours of sleep) that the terror constituency is comprised of Middle Easterners.

In addition to that you have vital and desirable national interests in the Middle East, ranging from oil to just simply ensuring regional stability (obviously we are clueless on that point, but hey).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »
I agree about terrorist actors, but what interest does Iran or anybody else have in giving them nukes?  Iran would be held equally accountable.  They're catching enough flack as it is.

And why no concern over Pakistan?  Hell, they're practically the new Afghanistan as far as [what's left of] al Qaeda is concerned. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »
Of course there's concern over Pakistan. And I'm sure Iran wouldn't do something so foolish, but as mentioned already they do have sketchy contacts, desired or not, who could acquire weapons with or without the state's permission. Hell, it's a big fear even with Russia, where there are dozens of nuke silos missing (how's that for a worrying prospect?).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
At this point I feel compelled to point out that Israel seems to have a better working relationship with terrorists than Iran.  If we're going to start judging a country's right to defense by the company they keep, well. . .
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
At this point I feel compelled to point out that Israel seems to have a better working relationship with terrorists than Iran.  If we're going to start judging a country's right to defense by the company they keep, well. . .

And which major terrorist groups does Israel currently have contacts with? Unless you count the insane religious jews who's major terrorist attacks consist of destroying trees....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »

And which major terrorist groups does Israel currently have contacts with? Unless you count the insane religious jews who's major terrorist attacks consist of destroying trees....

Mujahedin-e-Khalq

These are the guys the Mossad are using to do their leg work.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »

Mujahedin-e-Khalq

These are the guys the Mossad are using to do their leg work.

Ah yes, one group who so far has done one major attack is definitely way worse than Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Al Aqsa, Hezbollah etc. Much worse.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »
I wasn't really trying to make qualitative comparisons.  Israel is pretty up front about using the guys to conduct operations in Iran, right now.  I'm not sure that's the case with Iran.  Could be, I don't know, but I don't think they're publicly confirming it whilst snickering like Muttley. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
I wasn't really trying to make qualitative comparisons.  Israel is pretty up front about using the guys to conduct operations in Iran, right now.  I'm not sure that's the case with Iran.  Could be, I don't know, but I don't think they're publicly confirming it whilst snickering like Muttley.

The point of Adami's previous post being that although they're not exactly up-front about it, it's not exactly a secret.

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:13 PM »

"better" is a qualitative word.

The group existed before Israel had anything to do with them, I doubt Israel propped them up and are  "using" them in anyway. The idea of a group wanting to take down the leaders or Iran isn't exactly revolutionary (no pun intended). And Iran is pretty open about its backing of Hamas, Hezbollah and just about any group that aims to destroy Israel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »
Plus I seem to remember learning somewhere that Hezbollah was created by Iran.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
Iran wouldn't give up it's nukes, it would be traceable to them, and they'd get fucked hard for it. And they know it. Look at what we did to Afghanistan, for "9/11," even though it had basically nothing to do with the attacks. They want nukes, because it puts them at the same table, and they become someone you just can't ignore, or push around.

There's not only Pakistan, but a ton of missing nuclear material, due to the collapse of the Soviet Union. North Korea also apparently has the capability, and I'd put them a hell of a lot crazier than Iran. Iran would be a drop in the bucket, if anything, and not the doomsday event it's being displayed as.

The problem is nuclear weapons, and that they exist, it is not Iran.

Offline Adami

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 03:55:00 PM »
Iran wouldn't give up it's nukes, it would be traceable to them, and they'd get fucked hard for it. And they know it. Look at what we did to Afghanistan, for "9/11," even though it had basically nothing to do with the attacks. They want nukes, because it puts them at the same table, and they become someone you just can't ignore, or push around.

There's not only Pakistan, but a ton of missing nuclear material, due to the collapse of the Soviet Union. North Korea also apparently has the capability, and I'd put them a hell of a lot crazier than Iran. Iran would be a drop in the bucket, if anything, and not the doomsday event it's being displayed as.

I tried very hard to find something to disagree with, just for the hell of it....but couldn't find anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
I mean, would we attack a confirmed, openly nuclear power? Iraq was sort of a different situation, it wasn't entirely certain they had them or how far along development/enrichment was, but they weren't in a deployable form under which we would risk nuclear retaliation.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »
I wish Noam Chomsky wouldn't say anything in public ever again.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Adami

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
I wish Noam Chomsky wouldn't say anything in public ever again.

Yea, speech and linguistics aren't really his thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »

I tried very hard to find something to disagree with, just for the hell of it....but couldn't find anything.

Well thank you.

On the topic, anyone see Newt Gingrich call Ahmadinejad a dictator of Iran, and out of his mind? It's a rather interesting case of a politicians, probably playing to his base, by calling out an enemy politicians, whose in large respects, playing to his base.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
Yeah, Newt's far too tactless to ever be president.  Although, it's quite possible that being completely tactless is a selling point nowadays, just like being an idiot was during Bush's term. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 03:37:01 PM »
Yeah, Newt's far too tactless to ever be president.  Although, it's quite possible that being completely tactless is a selling point nowadays, just like being an idiot was during Bush's term.

But I thought Newt was trailing?

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:30 AM »
A liberal American Jew criticizing Israel. Nothing new here!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »
A liberal American Jew criticizing Israel. Nothing new here!

I didn't know Jewish organisations accuse Jews who oppose destroying Palestinian's homes to take their place of "self hating" https://youtu.be/QNE4jEBMFf4
It occurs to me that a girl like that holds her convictions against so much expected backlash must have family history that suffered from the Lebensraum ideology which was implemented after the German invasion of Poland.
Question to Adami and SD: How do you guys feel about non-Zionist Jews?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
@ That video: Yeah, I know about that girl, she's a nut (even though I agree with her on some level, which is unfortunate).

@ The question: That is a good question. Personally, I don't really care if someone doesn't support Israel unless their not supporting means they also actively oppose it, like the Israel Apartheid Week folks that were at my school a week ago. I want peace to happen, but I'm of the opinion that it can't come from each side still badmouthing one another. And I mean sure, it applies to Zionists too, particularly the sort that do want the continuation of settlements (I don't support settlement), but people who sympathize with and champion the Palestinian cause are not exempt.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »
You and I are so incredibly different. I don't find that girl to be a nut at all, I credit people like her for the last ditch efforts of keeping the Jews a separate entity from the Zionists and thus struggling against staining the Jewish people entirely with what is basically a racial militaristic movement.
You "agree with her on some level" and you don't support settlements but you think voicing and spreading this opinion classifies as betrayal to your people, did I get that right?
You and I are so incredibly different, not only cause we're on the exact opposite sides of the conflict but also on the aspects of willingness to severely criticize my side when they're being assholes, as opposed to the "Eh what you gonna do, shit happens" attitude, which you certainly wouldn't be taking if the shoe was on the other foot. I surely would be more critical of my side if I was you, especially if you are on the radically more powerful side of this conflict. This is the period of time that people would look back upon in a hundred years and go "This man stood up for the weak of his enemies when he didn't have to".
I believe that a major part of a people's humanity dies when they start truly believing they're naturally superior to others. Anything goes when you get there.
Accept my apology in advance if you see this as some sort of personal attack but it's really not, it's me venting to the only person I know that represents a way of thinking in regards to a subject that I feel strongly about. I also share it cause I find you civil and mindful + I'd be a colossal douche if I went on thinking it without saying it to you.
El Barto once said about P&R discussions that ".. as long as we admit there's a bit of hypocrisy in us all". I've come to terms with that in regards to all my Political thoughts. I'm on no high horse here.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
...No, I meant in the sense that I personally know her, and I know from personal experience that whether I agree with her or not, that girl is nuts.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2012, 07:41:24 PM »
Oh okay, Cause you said "I know about that girl", I thought you just found the news online like me.
Nut she is then!