Author Topic: an obscure roulette and chat thread/ R9 results! Guess what!  (Read 98966 times)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
an obscure roulette and chat thread/ R9 results! Guess what!
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:18:43 AM »
Important Note:

I modified the subject line... from now on, this is a chat thread, too... lol.... no can complain about derailment....  :xbones
I'm putting every info in the OP... also painting the important inputs blue.... so that's the bits you need to pay attention to.... so that shouldn't be a problem!

PS: Please include song & artist name in your messages and Round number & you user ID in the subject line... Many thanks....

Welcome
Hey finally we are doing this.. YAY..
I am totally psyched by the number and quality of my players… Thank you all in advance.

The Hall of the Dead, The Elysium Fields & River of Lost Souls

First off, all the players will be welcomed into the Hall by the revered souls who have been preparing to look after you all throughout your journey and an Ice Breaker session will be held right after…
Since I have quite lot of guests in the Hall, I’ll keep observing you and eliminate players until I narrow it down to a reasonable number… I’m guessing it‘ll be 2 or 3 rounds. Those who get kicked their arses out of the Hall by the Demons will be thrown into the River of Lost Souls while we the Blessed Dead, make our way to the Elysium Fields…   

Not to worry too much about being sent to the depths of the boiling chasm of eternal suffering that is the River though… There will be just be some torturing and eternal darkness peppered with an insatiable yearning for the warmth of life but at least you will be able to hear the music of obscure channel as a distant light of hope at the edge of your hearing.  The aspirants who are striving to reserve a spot in the Elysium Fields and who were keeping their best shot to later rounds will be given another chance… I’ve always believed that determination and persistence should be rewarded! So does the Ferryman!

Those who can't come back after their second chance, will always be another chance... if they send me a belly-dancing video of themselves, they will be let back in the game.. and will be given 4 points for the each round they missed :biggrin:

I'm happy to explain again and again.. as long as you want to make it back to the game

here's the deal:  you'll be back in the game when you impress me with a song.... you're not tied to any theme or genre... free as a bird... I'll give you 3 silver pennies (and maybe some extra depending on the level of satisfaction) for each round that you missed... or in other words... there's miracle for each day that you try...  there's a new love  that's born for each one that has died   

so anyways... the earlier the better... but of course when you're ready...

otherwise the only way back is giving me the belly-dance performance

What those need to do is monitoring my judgements and sending along their best shots…  do it when you think you have a feel for my taste… surprise me... be creative… spice it up… convince me! And ta-dah you’re back on the Ferry… When someone comes back into the action after some torture time in the nefarious River of Lost Souls, they will be considered to have accumulated 3 silver pennies per round missed.

Scoring:

1-6 silver pennies.
Contrary to the beliefs of the living, the price you pay to the Ferryman is not just two pennies. As with everything, an open economy with its own commodity market prevails in the Land of the Dead.
So the highest paying Souls will be allowed on the Ferry by the Ferryman. But I want the Saved Souls at the Elysium Fields to feel ‘in’ the game all the time so there will be +1 and +2 bonus pennies whenever you happen to impress me by any particular aspect of the song you send, the explanation you make, a feeling  you touch or an interesting photo you provide me with :P
I will always be transparent and justify bonus pennies. These pennies will be used to buy larger estates available to souls in the Elysium Fields later on.

How to send songs?

I prefer emails… as it will allow me to listen to your songs during my vacation when I’m not in front of a PC or when I’m at work … So the chances are I’m gonna listen to these more than the others… Spotify  is the second best… It’s the digital service I use the most and I like the sound quality…Grooveshark is cool, too… so are the Youtube links. If you are sending a video or a live performance, it might help you to send the studio version as well… I sometimes tend to like one better than the other even though it’s completely the same song…
Please post on the thread to remind yourselves that you sent the song and try not to ask me whether you did. You’re almost 30 people for heaven’s sake: P

When to send songs?

Under normal circumstances, I will accept songs in rounds… will announce new themes right after or along with the results…  ‘Special round’ is an exception to this rule.

Timing:

I will try my best to keep it going on a reasonable pace as the experience shows that the relation between the pace of the roulette and the fun being had is a very close one… Unless there happens to be an emergency/something that I cannot ignore in my private life or at work, roulette will not be interrupted. If anything like that does happen, I’d like to apologise in advance.
I believe 2 days is an acceptable period for sending in a song after the new theme is revealed. However, since we all live in different time zones, I will add a little bit to this and announce a deadline for each round.  (you've got more time for the first two rounds) I request you to send the songs within those deadlines… if someone fails to send theirs on time, I will announce the new theme right away so that those who sent on time can start searching for new songs. I don’t think I’ll be able to send out PMs to remind those being a bit tardy that round. Late submissions will have one of their pennies taken back. With more tardiness there will be more fees. Extreme tardiness will result in a demon sweeping down onto the peaceful Elysium Fields, snatching the offending soul and dropping them into the freezing and yet boiling depths of the River. After that, the poor soul in question will have to work harder if they want to get back to the party at the Elysium Fields. I’ll judge as my eyes see, I’ll judge and I’ll be just  ;)

Last FM;

me: https://www.lastfm.com.tr/user/obscure5555

The fact that I’m a much disorganized, messy and a greedy girl has its reflection on my music taste. It basically spreads over a really wide range in an irregular and untidy way. I love researching, discovering new bands; but I tend to jump from band to band without having checked out the entire discography (except for some bands of course) which in turn causes me to overlook some good stuff even by my fave bands... So feel free to expose me to your own taste and knowledge about any band even though they are on my list (if you must)… Should you send something I’m familiar with, I’ll let you know…  But if you’re picking band from my list, please check with me early on to avoid any delays as you will have to keep looking for a song for that round :)
Even though Last FM tells me that my taste focuses on certain stuff, I might surprise you with what I might and might not like. Feel free to be brave, take risks and to yell at me when I don’t like the songs you dig …lol….
I believe Last FM info is a good start to understand my taste but I will tell you something I’ve never told anyone before; I tend to like a tad heavy: P
I usually pay more attention to the music than to the lyrics. However, of course if the lyrics are very impressive, I would be impressed as well. If you think your submission has that certain lyric edge, don’t forget to claim another silver penny and tell me why those lyrics should impress me. Otherwise, I might not pay attention… if they do trick I will give you the penny you claim.
Live performances are cool as long as the recording is clean.
There won’t be any time limits to the songs at any time of this roulette. I’m happy to listen to a 21 minute long epic…

For those who haven’t got the slightest idea bout my taste…. My all-time favourites are DT, Pink Floyd, Megadeth, Iced Earth… and some others…
Most frequent spins lately: Enbound, Vanden Plas, Leprous….

Themes:

The first two rounds will be open… I will keep the rounds quite broad to enable you to send the songs you think I’d dig.
You might want to focus on the instruments and genres for rounds…  To give you an idea for instance; l might ask for a song or a band which you dig for its vocals or one particular instrument or a player… Send me the song and then tell me what you like about it…. For this round I will only judge for that particular part… If it’s an impressive song overall, it’s a bonus… You might get another penny or two from me depending on the effect song has on me.
There will most probably be an instrumental round as I love them…
There won’t be any happy round…so relax… lol…
Well now… you haven’t got any reason to fall behind with the schedule as I revealed my themes for most of the rounds…

Special Round

But there will be one slightly difficult round:
The thing that makes it difficult is the fact that it will be relatively more specific theme. Since I know that almost nobody likes specific rounds,  I am giving you the theme right in the beginning and will accept the songs all throughout the roulette to ease your pain … so you’ll have plenty of time to find me some decent stuff…  just don’t forget to tell me which song is meant for this round (in the subject line)….
What makes this one difficult is my taste… As you might have seen many times over from my posts, I am not a ballad person. They tend to take more time to grow on me… However, there are ones that really shake me to my very core… For me to like those, there has to be something special with them. When it is a ballad, I pay more attention to lyrics for instance. It has to have some magical riff, a special solo, melody,… something…
Can you find me that song? Let it hurt me; make me feel like I swallowed a dozen butterflies; make me fall head over heels in love with the song. In brief, let it make me feel something…
Since I want to reward effort, this will be a double point round… I will assess these at the end…  so it will be worth to invest time and effort in it.
Here is a list of songs that fit this bill:
Dream Theater – Misunderstood
Rush – Jacob’s Ladder (dat amazing solo)
MSG – When you’re gone
Vanden Plas – Phoenix (yeah... it's a ballad for me  ;D)
Well there’s loads of others but I have to keep them for the future roulettes I’m gonna play….

Hope these help…

Band round:

On this round which will take place down the line, I will expect you to introduce a new band to me…  You’re allowed to send as many songs as you want by that band. If you are confident with one song only, feel free to shoot a single bullet… but if you think it might take me couple of GOOD songs to get into the band, then I’d kindly rec you to send at least a few… if you send too many, I’ll stop listening when I think I get the idea… or hopefully can’t help myself but listen to all…. I won’t review and reveal the songs for this round but only the bands I was suggested.

Review:

There won’t be any reviews for the first 2, maybe even 3 rounds, depending on whether we get to a manageable number of people… unless I feel like doing so for a special song…
tl;dr send me songs and let’s have fun bitches :P
Good luck to y’all!

Souls

1 - Ytse
2 - black_floyd
3 - Nekov
4 - Ravenheart
5 - Cup
6 - PuffyPat
7 - DTVT
8 - Gorille85
9 - LLTWM
10 - dethklok09
11 - Antigoon
12 - JBoy
13 - Lonestar
14 - kári
15 - yorost
16 - wolfking
17 - AcidrainLTE
18 - Zantera
19 - kingshmegland
20 - The King in Crimson
21 - Elite
22 - Dark Castle
23 - ariich
24- WebRaider
25- TheStinger

we're on now guys.. send me a song until the 23rd....  nail it!  :tup

:obscure:

e-mail address: senemcakir5@gmail.com
(going to the sig along with Last FM)  ;)

I'm receiving songs from bands I'm familiar with ..... my incomplete Last Fm is causing the confusion.. I love Tool, familiar with PoS and I'm sure there's loads of others.... .... Can those who have the chance take a look at my FB and Spotify account too? But I'm more than happy to ask for new songs... just to save you some time, you know....

Round 5 - Album Review

first of all... for this round, I'm not looking for something new.... (if you send sth new, that's a bonus... provided that I like it) if you want to play safe go for sth from my last FM...

since review write-up is a pain in the neck when you're doing everything from scratch, I'm guessing you might want to go for a band you like too...

regarding the songs... I'd like to hear the whole album... without hearing the whole thing, my experience would be incomplete... Under normal conditions, you don't need to send me anything.... I don't mind buying the albums (ITunes)  you review... I pay shit loads of money for music anyway... if I can't  reach them, then I might ask for help! BUT.. if you think that there are some tracks that stand out, please let me know... and either provide me with links or send me mp3s....

You're totally free in terms of style... if you want to do it song by song... cool... if you just want to give me an overall idea, that's fine too... you can send me an essay about why this album is special... why I should pay attention to it.... all is fine really....

regarding your rating question... well ... to be totally honest with you.. I haven't got any scientific method... I'll just go with the whole feeling... if you write an awesome review about a band I don't care about, the scoring might disappoint you... that's why you're allowed to pick a band form my Last FM.... so you might wanna pay attention to the genre.... and that's why I limited the genre with Prog and metal.... I tend to like pretty much everything....  and here's a clue: for me vocals are the key... I LOVE male vocals that seem to be in the female range....

I don't think it's very likely but if more than one players choose the same album.. I'll use the 'first come first saved' basis....

We're down to 15 players for now.. it won't be less but if an ex-player wants back in and satisfies my ears, they will be let back in....

Round 5
Guys... if you're not sure of the band that you'll review... feel free to check with me....

Well the first three rounds are serving as a 'player selection' rounds... I am gaining a feel for 'who can give me the stuff I might dig'.. so I didn't care too much about the bands I'm aware of....

but after this round my Last FM bands will be off-limits... unless I say otherwise otherwise I won't get to know much new stuff 

there will be a round though, that you'll be able to send me anything... as long as they are prog or metal... or preferably both.. or in a perfect world, prog-power metal 

that would truly be my heaven....

First of all I want to let you know that I had to reject some songs... I know how it feels to want to get someone into the band you love... but there are some bands that I think I’ve given a fair chance but never could do the trick for me.... So.... No more Pain of Salvation ... No more Opeth please... feel free to send those in addition to your actual submissions... I’d appreciate that... You might also wanna avoid sumbitting The Dear Hunter and Mars Volta... I don’t want you to hate me after this roulette    but again, reccommending me songs by these bands is always appreciated....  Who want to miss on great songs??..
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:01:09 PM by obscure »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: an obscure song roulette - Rd 1 - Welcome Souls!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »
Let's GET IT ON!!!     I'll work on a song this weekend!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Rock on! I'll be sending shortly.

On another notice, throughout the whole text I read penises instead of pennies :P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
I've sent now. Hopefully it works as intended.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »
could i still possibly join in? I miss being in roulettes

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 11:40:46 AM »
Let's GET IT ON!!!     I'll work on a song this weekend!!

Hell yes kinky king :P

received your song Jimmy

On another notice, throughout the whole text I read penises instead of pennies :P
:rollin  cause it's my roulette, huh?  :lol

dethklok09.. sure sweetheart... just send your song ....

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
What format can we send to email?  I have my entire music collection in AAC format (iPod), and I can convert it if I have to, but if not that would be great.

I have too many choices in what to send :(

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »
AAC is fine.... although I prefer mp3...

I have too many choices in what to send :(

cool.. hope you survive long!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:19:44 AM by obscure »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 12:44:22 PM »
sent an obscure band to start.  I'm clever.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
obscure song has been received Mason....  cheers  :tup

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
Song sent. Also regarding the special round, how are Misunderstood and Jacob's Ladder ballads? I'm confused

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
on obscure's scale they are.... well aren't they anyway?

song received

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 01:23:06 PM »
Song is sent, I'm Flannel_basterd@yahoo.com by the way...I should have remembered to specify who I was in my email x)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 01:28:32 PM »
no worries :)
but where did you send it hun? nothing on gmail?  :(

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »
no worries :)
but where did you send it hun? nothing on gmail?  :(
hrm, I'll resend it, brb

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
I keep seeing the title and thinking this is a hipster roulette. You know, it's obscure. Probably haven't heard of it before.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
lolwut?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »
lolwut?

I'm just tired. I can't even blame the booze on that post. :P

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
 :lol  :heart

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »
So with the first two rounds being open we are trying to send you something you haven't heard before but that you still may like?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
sounds about right  :)

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »
LOL, now remember this is my first time you may have to walk me through a few moves before I reach my full stroke. Be gentle! 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
Cool stuff, sounds like fun.  I'll send a song tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
Is it cool if I just give you my song in person next week? :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 03:27:05 PM »
on obscure's scale they are.... well aren't they anyway?

Well, The Silent Man I call a ballad, same for Hollow Years but Misunderstood falls a little far from those. Guess it's just different points of view.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »
As Chris deBurg said....."don't pay the ferry man until he gets you to the other side"
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
Nice stuff, that OP. Sending mine shortly, most likely by tomorrow night or on Monday. I'm not behind my own computer at the moment, so I don't have my music collection near.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
Glad that you like the OP guys... I told you it's gonna be fun :)

RJ, that sounds awesome hun :caffeine:

first timers will be well taken care of... no worries  :laugh:

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 04:28:06 PM »
Well this roulette is challenging already, Turkish last.fm !!!!

LoL
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TheStinger

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 06:06:40 PM »
I have sent my song.  I hope I have done everything correctly.  Otherwise, just shoot me.

PS.  please don't shoot me.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
My Rd. 1 entry is complete :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
I have sent my song.  I hope I have done everything correctly.  Otherwise, just shoot me.

We're already dead according to the OP.  And I'm the one who shoots everyone.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
Yes,  If I wasn't nervous enough before it certainly helped to read that "There will be just be some torturing and eternal darkness peppered with an insatiable yearning for the warmth of life" if we make a misstep.... :lol

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
Sent!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TheStinger

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »

We're already dead according to the OP.  And I'm the one who shoots everyone.
Well that seems altogether unnecessarily barbaric.