Author Topic: The Jury Duty Thread v. I'm baaaack.....  (Read 7157 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
The Jury Duty Thread v. I'm baaaack.....
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »
Reporting in today for the first time.  Personaly, I'm amazed I made it 42 years without a summons.  Since I'm paid for the time by my work, and could use a couple days out of the kitchen, I am going to be a good American and perform my civic duty.  I am very curious as to the process and am kinda looking forward to the experience, that is until I get bored as hell and just want to get the fuck out of there, let's see how long I'll last.

So, share any jury duty stories, or any stories of similar service from others outside of the US.  Also would love to hear stories of what people do to get out of serving.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:33:58 PM by lonestar »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Jury Duty Thread v.How The Hell do I Get Out Of This?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:08:58 AM »
Too much sitting around waiting.

I've been called twice in the last year and a half.  Both times for DWI cases (that's the only thing people seem to get busted for around here).  Suffice it to say given my attitude towards DWI laws,  I don't get past voir dire.  Aside from that, the prosecutor will always ask how you to rate the local police on a scale of 1-10, and depending on how generous I'm feeling, I usually go with 0-2.  You can actually see them draw a big X across my square.

The last one I was at was actually pretty damned interesting, though.  The defense council was a specialized DWI attorney, and was fascinating to watch.  I thought he tipped his hand a bit too much, but he nevertheless did a fine job of creating doubt in every aspect of the system.  His client was guilty as all fuck, but I thought he stood a pretty good chance of getting him off.  Unfortunately I was swamped at work, or I would have loved to stick around and watch the trial after they cut me loose.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
It's not hard to get out of if you really need to. Just don't seem too obvious about it or the judge will get pissed. If you get called for a trial, they always interview you. If you can find a way to show that you'll have a bias of some kind, they'll likely cut you loose. That's not to say that you won't just go back into the pool and possibly get pulled for another trial. It's all up to how your county does it. There's really no good way to get out of it in advance without a really good excuse, and even then they'll likely just delay it.

I served once several years ago. It was a civil case that got settled after a day and a half. It was interesting, but incredibly slow and boring. It was a good thing they settled because it would have taken over a week if it had continued at the pace it was moving.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »
I got summoned once.  I called the little number to see when and if I had to go, but the case never went to trial so I never had to report.  That was back when I was like 18 though.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
I served on a DUI case last year. One full day - jury selection and then the trial - and done. It really wasn't too bad, but it probably depends on the case you might be selected for. Tell them if the length of time would mess up scheduled vacation or work, if you know people who have had similar issues with the law - that may help to get out of it.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
Reporting in today for the first time.  Personaly, I'm amazed I made it 42 years without a summons.  Since I'm paid for the time by my work, and could use a couple days out of the kitchen, I am going to be a good American and perform my civic duty.  I am very curious as to the process and am kinda looking forward to the experience, that is until I get bored as hell and just want to get the fuck out of there, let's see how long I'll last.

So, share any jury duty stories, or any stories of similar service from others outside of the US.  Also would love to hear stories of what people do to get out of serving.

If you have a pre-set opinion on the topic, you can usually get out of it. One jury group had a girl who had been sexually assaulted, so she was excused because the crime was rape. So if you reeeeally wanna get out of it, having a biased opinion might do it.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Never been called.
but given that I work at a police HQ.
Probably wouldn't get picked.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 09:33:24 AM »
I've been summonsed twice.  I filled out the questionnaire both times and when the time came for me to report, I was told that they didn't need me to show up.  That's been my experience with jury duty so far.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
Cool, wifi and I got my kindle. And the waiting begins. :crypt:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:41 AM »
This always bugs me (sorry lonestar). As a society we value our trial by jury system, but as individuals we do anything we can to get out of jury duty. I know it sucks to lose time at work, but if I am on trial for murder, I don't want my jury to be made of up jobless losers who have nothing better to do that sit around and watch Springer.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 09:47:41 AM »
I always wanted to serve on a jury but I've never received a summons. I guess I probably wouldn't make it through voir dire now since I'm sure attorneys don't want some snot-nosed know-it-all law students on the jury.

My torts prof. last semester told us he got called a few years ago for the first time and actually made it on the jury for some tort case, which I think is just hilarious.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »
I'm not trying to get out of it. Otherwise I would have just thrown away the summons like many people I know do. I was just being silly with the thread title.  Actually looks like a fair cross section of the public in here.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
I posted my experience in your last thread I believe.  2 civil cases involving car accidents, and one child molestation case.  The first two were interesting because the outcomes were polar opposite, but I wouldn't wish the child molestation case on my worst enemy.  The funny thing is that during voir dire attorneys on both sides seem to like seeing someone with a scientific background in all three cases.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:45 AM »
This always bugs me (sorry lonestar). As a society we value our trial by jury system, but as individuals we do anything we can to get out of jury duty. I know it sucks to lose time at work, but if I am on trial for murder, I don't want my jury to be made of up jobless losers who have nothing better to do that sit around and watch Springer.
I'm not opposed to serving at all.  I just recognize that I'm stunningly ill-suited for a variety of reasons.  Since I realize I won't be picked for a jury, it's annoying as hell to have to waste a day sitting around waiting.  I get paid for it, and I usually have the time, but it's just so pointless for me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »
Just had a 3.7 quake while watching the intro video. Everyone in the room looked around quickly, shrugged, and went back to the video. Fucking Californians. :rollin

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »
Just had a 3.7 quake while watching the intro video. Everyone in the room looked around quickly, shrugged, and went back to the video. Fucking Californians. :rollin
:lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
I always just call and say I have class, it's gets postponed for 6 months, then I just "have class" again. This has been going on for 4 years now  :lol

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 01:36:55 PM by Chino »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
Fucking Californians. :rollin

How do they work?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
Well this is just about the most boring thing ever.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »
When I was 18 I had to call for a week to see if I needed to go in, I didn't end up needing to go in. And I got that stupid letter again, I have to call in about two weeks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 02:36:43 PM »

The actual case, or just the introductary stuff?  Be careful what you wish for.  After two civil suits involving car accidents I wanted my third case to be more interesting...then I got to hear about how this guy diddled this kid, and messed around with another, and did more things to another, then another...and another...and you get the point.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 02:42:09 PM »

The actual case, or just the introductary stuff?  Be careful what you wish for.  After two civil suits involving car accidents I wanted my third case to be more interesting...then I got to hear about how this guy diddled this kid, and messed around with another, and did more things to another, then another...and another...and you get the point.
The waiting. Five hours and they haven't called a single name. Hey bowl, how bout calling in some favors and get them to hurry this thing up. :zeltar:

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Once I got out of it because it was the same week I was supposed to start school at a place a couple hours away. The next time, I got on an interesting medical malpractice case. Though I was kind of expecting them to say that the guy that was about to start at acupuncture school might be against doctors and to kick me off.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »
I wear my Metallica "Kill em All" tee shirt. That usually works quickly :)
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »
The waiting. Five hours and they haven't called a single name. Hey bowl, how bout calling in some favors and get them to hurry this thing up. :zeltar:
That's a drag.  Down here you're usually either assigned to a panel or deemed unnecessary and cut loose by 11 or so.  The only time I've been downtown passed lunchtime was when they assigned me to a panel right around 11, and that's just unlucky timing.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
Oh man I don't miss the waiting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
A whole day to decide I have to go back Tuesday for the BEGINNING of jury selection.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
I'm 19 and I've received two summons in the past 8 months. I don't remember what kind of cases they were or they didn't specify in the summons, but since I go to college two hours away from home, I wasn't required to show up to either case.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 05:32:16 PM »
A whole day to decide I have to go back Tuesday for the BEGINNING of jury selection.
So you got assigned to a panel, but voir dier won't be for 4 more days?  How many people in the panel? 
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
Well, at least it probably won't be a civil case involving a car accident.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:50:02 PM by DTVT »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
I had to report (and was interviewed) the only time I got a summons.  However, I wasn't picked...I had spent a good portion of the preceding summer helping my wife study for the bar exam, and much of it was still fresh in my mind.  They didn't want to touch me with a ten-foot pole.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
I got to get out of school for one whole day due to a jury summons. It was great too, because it was the end of the year, and my teachers were doing absolutely nothing interesting. I enjoyed hearing the moronic people of Ohio and all their bullshit excuses why they couldn't serve. This one asshole pretended to be a priest and kept saying that he refused to pass judgment on people because "judge not or....er....be judged you" (That's seriously what he fucking said). Another guy flat-out told the judge "Somebody's going to jail if I miss a whole day's pay...".

The case was something to do with jewelry theft. I would have loved to stick around, but they let me go (presumably because I was a high school student at the time). They gave me $40 to get out of school and listen to stupid people though, which I was quite happy with considering I didn't (and still don't :p) have a job.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
So you got assigned to a panel, but voir dier won't be for 4 more days?  How many people in the panel?
Voir dier was today, which I tried.  I listed my early alcoholic recovery, having to work every day I don't serve at least ten hours, and my 1 1/2 hour commute on public transit as my reasons.  The judge, who is fucking hot, decided it wasn't good enough.  We listed our reasons on paper, and those granted were given paper. No exchanges with the judge occurred, which was unfortunate cause I wanted to continue fantasizing about that beautiful mouth of hers.  Did I mention she is really hot?

Anyhoo, the panel had about a hundred on it, and about twelve were excused.  I report at 9 Tuesday morning for the beginning of selection.  It is a criminal trial.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »
ell at least yu will get to see that mouth for a while. I mean look at the positives.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
True that brother.  She's about my age, dark and sultry, and in my head, buck fucking naked under that gown. :metal