Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh Rant  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Rush Limbaugh Rant
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
Also I'm not aware of any instances in which Hillary or Obama explicitly said "Bush is (trying) to destroy the country." They may have said that his policies were wrongheaded or more generally that the country needed fixing, but from what I recall no one actually accused Bush of destroying the country, either intentionally or inadvertently.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
Whether you agree or disagree with his position, his word choice should be the only thing he need apologize for.  He is entitled to his political views, whether they are right or wrong.

If you publicly call someone a prostitute, apologizing for your choice of words is not enough.  You have slandered that person (or libelled - I still don't know the difference) and choosing "nicer" words doesn't change that.

It would be slander, since it was verbal.  And, no, I think it likely would not qualify as slander. 

But let me clarify:  When I say that he should have chosen his words more carefully, but that he is entitled to his political views on the subject, I don't mean to say that he is entitled to publicly take the position that she, individually, is a prostitute but should just say it in nicer terms.  That wasn't what I meant at all.  I meant that he is entitled to his views on contraception as a whole, and I think it is fine that he singled her our as an example since she chose to hold herself out as a spokesperson, he should have been much more careful to not single her out individually and personally attack her at all.  He can still have strong views on the subject without referring to people as prostitutes in the first place.

And Rush didn't even apologize for what he was saying, he just apologized for his word choice.

Whether you agree or disagree with his position, his word choice should be the only thing he need apologize for.  He is entitled to his political views, whether they are right or wrong.

So, if he used different words to tell an audience of up to 25 million listeners that a woman should film herself having sex for everyone to watch it then it wouldn't be a big deal?  Bosk, really?  I agree with what you're articulating here, that he's entitled to his political views, but come on man, it was a lot more than a poor choice of words.  What he said was offensive. 

Yeah, see above.  If that's what you thought I was saying, I did a poor job of stating my position.  Hopefully, it's more clear now.  Like the "prostitute" comment, this specific part was also way out of line.  Again, when I say he is entitled to his views, I am more talking about his broad views on contraception.  Hopefully, that is more clear now.  You're right--it is about more than just the word choice.  I wasn't really looking at it as more than a word-choice issue when I first posted that, but you're right.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:59:11 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »
I think there's a bit a difference between a simple word choice and stretching a definition of something into a wildly and purposefully offensive statement that not only applies to the girl he was referring to but pretty millions of other people that fall into that same category. Poor word choice is Imus' "nappy headed hos" comment. I mean Rush said the words and then continued to compound on top of that, pretty viciously too if I remember the tone of his voice correctly. This wasn't just a simple slip of the tongue.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
I think there's a bit a difference between a simple word choice and stretching a definition of something into a wildly and purposefully offensive statement that not only applies to the girl he was referring to but pretty millions of other people that fall into that same category. Poor word choice is Imus' "nappy headed hos" comment. I mean Rush said the words and then continued to compound on top of that, pretty viciously too if I remember the tone of his voice correctly. This wasn't just a simple slip of the tongue.

Funny you mention that, actually... :lol

He really isn't that bad. I usually listen to him in the car. Granted, I didn't hear those comments. He doesn't do so well with social issues like that, IMO.

Unfortunately, most non-listeners only hear about him when he makes the occasional gaffe. I should make it clear that I'm not defending him by any means for THOSE comments. He, and other conservatives, generally don't advocate the name calling that he did. I don't appreciate it (even if that lady was being a ho'). I may make sexist jokes (ALL THE TIME) but, all the women in my life are very independent and sources of inspiration for me. I respect women. I don't get why he would say that. Unless he just decided that it's been too long since his name has been on all the outlets.

Even if he had a perfect record up to this point, those comments were so over the top (especially the sex tape part) that I don't think his image could ever recover. His comments made Imus' "nappy headed hoes" comment seem laughable.

Anyway, one can only hope his sponsors continue to bolt on him.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
Anyway, one can only hope his sponsors continue to bolt on him.

Unfortunately other sponsors has stepped in to support Limbaugh  :lol
Slut Plugs is just wrong..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
Yeehaw.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:51 PM »
Good for them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »
Seriously.  I've never listened to Limbaugh, never wanted to, based on what I've heard, so I had no idea that he used Rush music on his show.  Presumably he paid the necessary fees or whatever, but I'm glad the guys pulled the plug on that shit.  It's not like the need the money, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be associated with him.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 07:23:18 AM »
Obama the puppet master:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/07/eric-bolling-obama-sandra-fluke_n_1326370.html

:biggrin:

Fox News host Eric Bolling speculated on Tuesday that Sandra Fluke, the law student who has become famous for being attacked by Rush Limbaugh, was part of an elaborate White House plan to distract voters from the economy.

Right, because there's no way that Obama wants to talk about the fact that the economy added 219,000 private sector jobs in February.

Republicans brought the campaign into this ridiculous discussion over contraception, not Democrats.  Why?  Because the economic recovery is gaining steam so they have nothing else to fire up the base with except social issues.   Eric Bolling is an idiot.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »
Really goes to show you the kind of thinking mainstream opposition to Obama is using.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 08:43:26 AM »
Defend Rush Limbaugh is a fan site for supporters of Rush's opinions about Sandra Fluke and other matters.

https://defendrush.org/

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »
That's the greatest web site in the history of the internet  :rollin

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:32 PM »
Psh, TimeCube is clearly the greatest site ever.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »
Defend Rush Limbaugh is a fan site for supporters of Rush's opinions about Sandra Fluke and other matters.

:rollin :rollin

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »
Psh, TimeCube is clearly the greatest site ever.
Still more logical and sensible than Rush Limbaugh.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
So Limbaugh is only famous for being a radio personality?

Also, the republicans make it sound like Obama is the anti-Christ.

Ps Sticks and stones, meaning if I were her I wouldn't give a crap about what Limbaugh or those others have to say, her main focus should be what she spoke out for.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

Holy crap, new favorite webiste.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »
Tempus, that was a fantastic OP.  Well done.

As for Rush Limbaugh, expressing his views towards contraception is one thing.  Intentionally ignoring Sandra Fluke's actual argument (birth control's medical benefits) and viciously attacking her for completely made-up reasons over four days is just inexcusable, ignorant, atrocious behavior.