Damn, I want to see you last move now!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Chess
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 02:21:07 AM »
^ unless they're jerks and try to force the game into a stalemate. It's actually a strategy in itself :lol

Yes.  :lol I suppose if you put more effort into a stalemate than actually winning the game, one should be considered a jerk...or a sore loser.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »
That's not being a jerk. That is a valid strategy. If you can't possibly win, and will likely lose, try to force a draw.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »
That's not being a jerk. That is a valid strategy. If you can't possibly win, and will likely lose, try to force a draw.

Reminds me of that game, Blood Bowl (basically football that is turn-based with Warhammer races).  If you know that you cannot win the game by score on like turn 12 (out of 16), the only other option you can do is beat up the opponent's team, try to get a knock-out or an injury, and get some XP for your players.  Kind of like "you may have won the game by score, but what good would it be for your next game, if your team is filled with injured and broken players?" which is a valid strategy that players would take in the proper circumstances.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
Kind of. To me, it's more like"You have superior numbers and/or strength, but you blew it. You do not get the win."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
It's because the black king is not check, but can't move anywhere either.

How is it not check though? Any move it makes I can either take it out with the queen or bishop.

Which is why it can't make any move at all.  The rules of chess dictate that no player can move a king into a position where an opponent's piece could capture it. 

That's not the same as being in check, though.  For a king to be in check, there has to be a piece that is currently in a position to capture it.  In this scenario, the black king is not in check because no white piece can currently take it.  But it also can't move, because any move would put it in a position where a white piece could take it. 

Thus, stalemate. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
This was my favorite teaching book in my younger days and I've returned to it many times to brush up. It taught me more about Chess than any instructor or opponent ever has.

https://www.amazon.com/Bobby-Fischer-Teaches-Chess/dp/0553263153
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
Oh not the musical.... I see myself out.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
One night in Bangkok, and the world's your oyster.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 07:02:48 AM »
Anyone here play games via chessbymessage? It’s great, you can play anonymous opponents from anywhere and it tracks your games and rating. After 118 games I currently have a 1407 rating (finally got it up to Club level).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »
Sounds cool.  I may check it out.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
Magnus Carlsen has arranged for a $250k on-line tournament this weekend.