Author Topic: Chess  (Read 4198 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Chess
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »
So, long story short, I got this wicked cool chess set as an incentive for me to learn how to play. When I say learn, I mean strategy, tactics, winning etc. I know how to set up the board and I know how pieces move, but that is about it when it comes to my knowledge. Consequently, my parents gave me a 20 dollar gift certificate to Barnes and Nobles with the intention of me buying a chess book. I don't know what to buy and the internet isn't helping much, so I decided to come here. Any of you have any good ideas. I want something that isn't just novice, but doesn't go way over my head. Like something that takes me from basic to middle of the road strategy. I want to avoid "How to..." books or "...for Dummies" books because they suck monkey balls.

Any ideas?

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Chess
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »
I've no experience in chess, but I'd recommend playing chess with other people who know what they're doing, in addition to reading up.  No education better than the real deal.

You probably know that already, though, don't you.   

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
I like chests...

wait...

Honestly when I was younger I dabbled in chess... but never found anyone who was interested enough to play...  :|
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
"Chess" for me is always the prime example of how the English language butchers words. The origin of the word chess is the persian word "Shah".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
I would teach you how to play, seriously.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
When I was seven years old, I bought a book at the book fair at my school called "How to Play Winning Chess" by Fred Reinfeld.  I read it cover to cover, many times.  It took you from the basics to complex strategy, openings, middle game, and end game, and it wasn't even a very big book.  Every chance I had, I would try out a strategy or "trick" I learned, and eventually I was the champion of my 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classes, two out of three years in my junior high, and every year in high school, thanks to that book.

Find a book by Fred Reinfeld and study it.  Then slay all opponents.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »
The "How to play Chess for Dummies" book is actually one of the better ones.  When I was doing an intership at U. Cincinnati in 2001, the guy I worked with was a HUGE chess fiend.  After about a week of kicking my ass, he loaned me his copy and told it wouldn't insult my intelligence.  He was absolutely right.  I was a decent chess player at that point and it still raised me level of play.  Not enough to beat him, but combined with some rare strategies that he hadn't encountered before I managed to take a game or two from him toward the end of my time.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
"Chess" for me is always the prime example of how the English language butchers words. The origin of the word chess is the persian word "Shah".

rumborak

That's fine, except shah sounds fucking retarded.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
The "How to play Chess for Dummies" book is actually one of the better ones.  When I was doing an intership at U. Cincinnati in 2001, the guy I worked with was a HUGE chess fiend.  After about a week of kicking my ass, he loaned me his copy and told it wouldn't insult my intelligence.  He was absolutely right.  I was a decent chess player at that point and it still raised me level of play.  Not enough to beat him, but combined with some rare strategies that he hadn't encountered before I managed to take a game or two from him toward the end of my time.

That's shocking. I've read some of those books and I wanted to shoot myself in the foot. It really did feel like it was for "dummies."

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »
I've no experience in chess, but I'd recommend playing chess with other people who know what they're doing, in addition to reading up.  No education better than the real deal.

You probably know that already, though, don't you.   

pretty much this -- playing on a regular basis with someone better than you is essential. Bobby Fisher's book was my favorite -- totally a must.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 07:24:48 PM »
Its all about copying your opponent's every move!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »

Sure. :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »

Sure. :P

If we both have a night free I will allow you to come over and play chess. I'm not even shitting. I haven't played chess in years and would love to teach it a bit and have a few matches.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Maybe. I'll have to see. I would actually love to do it, but my mom being my mom... :\

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
You can webcam-chat with someone and play that way!

Watch videos on Youtube! That's a great way to learn techniques!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
So I've got my fiancé to start playing chess with me. (god I love her) and its going pretty well. She's a little smarter than me so its a lot of fun.

I will say that chess is hands down my favorite game on the planet, but ironically I'm very awful at it. Thinking 4 moves ahead is so much harder than it looks, and I usually take a half an hour to make a move  :blush

Having a lot of fun though.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »
This past spring I got to playing at least a game a night. I'd love to learn more strategy, as right now I'm relatively clueless. Maybe we could get a DTF chess tournament going   ;)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
In sixth grade I beat a kid in about 5 moves.
The pathetic thing was that we had just learned it from an instructional video and he didn't see it coming.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 01:23:42 AM »
I play chess on and off. I like to think I'm pretty good. I used to be about 1350 in standard on chess.com but got rusty from not playing for so long heh.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 02:25:10 AM »
I play chess on and off. I like to think I'm pretty good. I used to be about 1350 in standard on chess.com but got rusty from not playing for so long heh.

I play my dad and my brothers-in-law on chess.com and get my ass kicked on a regular basis.  I feel like I'm not actually that bad, but I could use an opponent who isn't clearly better than I am...

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 03:44:59 AM »
I really like Chess, but I'm not very good at it, since I don't do it very often. I like to play it once in a while though.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 04:26:20 PM »
Play chess against your computer. Make sure you set the difficulty on something other than zero, or it will be too easy. Most logic programs on the computer aren't that great, so you'll get some random crazy moves that believe it or not will help you be prepared for a real opponent. In addition to my DTF addiction, I also take mental breaks from writing by playing online chess. Presently, my record against the computer is:

Games Played-2405
Games Won- 2205
Games Drawn- 160
Lost-40

I have the level of difficulty 0-10 set on 6.  I play a couple of games every day.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »
I trained on NES

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
Man, I miss BattleChess.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 01:14:07 AM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a question:

How is this a draw?

People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 01:21:08 AM »
^^ I'm not a chess expert, but based on what I know, that should be checkmate for white.  Every possible move that the King (black) makes gets trapped by the queen or bishop.  And since King (white) is not in any vulnerable spot, there's no way you should be losing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 01:31:05 AM »
It's because the black king is not check, but can't move anywhere either.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 01:33:43 AM »
It's because the black king is not check, but can't move anywhere either.

How is it not check though? Any move it makes I can either take it out with the queen or bishop.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »
"Check" is being able to take it now.............not after he's moved.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 01:42:22 AM »
I was overcomplicating this but you said it all here :lol damn language barriers.

So yeah, there's no possibility of checkmate without check, and even though black only has 1 piece left and technically has to move the king next, the game sees it as an error in the system since the black king cannot move anywhere and thus cannot end his turn, while technically not being taken by white.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 01:49:05 AM »
I was overcomplicating this but you said it all here :lol damn language barriers.

So yeah, there's no possibility of checkmate without check, and even though black only has 1 piece left and technically has to move the king next, the game sees it as an error in the system since the black king cannot move anywhere and thus cannot end his turn, while technically not being taken by white.

So this is a computer thing and if I was playing an actual person this would count as a win? Or is it not a win at all.

-MirrorMask

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 01:55:57 AM »
No, this is called a 'stalemate' and thus a draw. It means that white has screwed himself out of a victory by not placing the king in check or checkmate. In order to win, the king must be in 'check' first, otherwise there can be no checkmate.

So, computer is right. This is a draw. It's not an error at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 02:03:45 AM »

So this is a computer thing and if I was playing an actual person this would count as a win? Or is it not a win at all.
No, I meant the game in general, not the computer game. The draw is completely justified, if the explanation wasn't clear I suggest looking it up online or reading Elite's comment because that's basically exactly what I tried to tell you but in a more clearly phrased way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 02:13:19 AM »
There's also a chance that with a real person they would concede the game and you'd win.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 02:17:20 AM »
^ unless they're jerks and try to force the game into a stalemate. It's actually a strategy in itself :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey